Experimenting with Female Gaming Poses(pic heavy)

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Experimenting with Female Gaming Poses(pic heavy)

Post by Saintofm »

Internet film and geek culture critic Movie Bob once said that female charecters in video games tend to be posed (either in stills or victory poses) that don't so much convey their personality but sex appeal. So I thought lets test that theory.

here are 3 pics, 1 male from any media, and 2 female from video games.

I want you to say what their poses convey.

After a few responses I'll have another set of 3.

There are no right or wrong answers.

1. Sean Connery James Bond

2. Morigan (Dark Stalkers)

3. Samus Aran

My thoughts
1. Cocky; self confidence
2. Intrigued or seductive
3. Tens, battle ready
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Experimenting with Female Gaming Poses(pic heavy)

Post by Thraundil »

Sean Connery primarily displays a masculine confidence, some might say a slight amount of sex appeal as well; I mean, the man does caress his own face with the barrel of his pistol.

As for Morigan, I'd say 100% sex appeal. In spite of her wings, attention is drawn to her face, boobs and arse, with particularly the boobs being in the "golden ratio" upper left corner. And lets be honest, given half the chance who wouldnt fondle those a little? ;)

Lastly, Samus Aran. I'd say stoic, stalwartness, resolution. You can see her face, and while it is drawn with a thin nose and jawline, and the skin is very smooth (typical female beauty characteristics) her boob area is completely obscured by the huge gun she is logging. And although the gun could be seen as her dragging around a humongous fallos, all thats left of her is a definitely-female waistline. And then the armorplate covering her personals, which is distinctly V-shaped. But I wouldnt necessarily say maximum sex appeal from her, because the first words that spring to mind are the heroic resolution parts.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

1. Intriguing confidence, determined, deadly. Had he held the gun over his shoulder he could have looked destructive, but the caress of the barrel with his cheek reveals he is cold hearted and could caress or murder with equal ease.

2. The look of her face impresses me that she's listening or trying to intrigue but the rather unnatural pose portrays her as a sexual plaything. The combination of her stare and the pose would suggest she is quite aware of this, and may be using it purposefully to seduce or distract whomever she is looking at... Perhaps even use her sexuality as a tool.

3. She looks resolved, determined with a clear direction ahead though her pose also tells something more complex. She's holding the weapon ready, but not looking fierce: she is resolute about her task or the task she has completed, but there's no desire for aggression nor does she seem to relish violence. It's something that (she feels) has to be done, a duty, and her confidence marks that she's well trained or accustomed to it, but she's not doing it for the sport of destruction.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I think, maybe, the use of Morigan is a little unfair for the experiment. IIRC, isn't she a succubus? By definition she's supposed to be sexual in nature.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

1. 100% Sex Appeal

2. Breasts! :shock:

3. Sexy, but not as much as Sean :oops:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

I tend to be drawn to the face quickly, so that's where my first impression comes from. ;) That's not to say poses are wasted on me, but they tend to leave only a secondary expression. (As an aside, the example picture of the boy is a mugshot, while those of the girls are bodyshots.)

1) Confidence with perhaps a flair of arrogance. "I may not know what's out there right now, but I know I'll find a way to deal with it." Strangely disarming.

2) Confidence and interest. Something caught her attention, and it intrigues her. It's hard to tell whether that's good news for the object of attention, because she doesn't read as sincere. I don't particularly like or dislike this picture; while it is certainly of better quality than I could ever do, apart from the face, it feels empty to me.

3) Awareness. Alert but calm, collected, especially considering that she appears to be grazed. Possibly hunting something. Could be confidence, could be experience, calculatedness, or training. I really like this picture; it feels like it projects personality.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Thank you all. Yeah Morigan is a bit of a cheap shot but there were images of her with a cheaper image then that, and most of them official art.

Next 3.

1. Tails from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

2. Cammy from Street Fighter Franchise

3. Tifa Lockheart (Final Fantasy 7)

My Take:

1. Happy and Friendly

2. Not sure. Confident if I had to take a guess.

3. Good Natured but confident.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

1.friendly, shy.
2. Either upset or ready to punch anyone.
3. Good natured but she has a bit of schoolyard brawler attitude in her.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Using any female anime character is a bit unfair. Women in anime come in three basic archetypes:

1. Teenage, large-breasted, perky, sexually provocative.
2. Twenties and thirties, large-breasted, perky, sexually provocative.
3. Old, fat, warty (very rare, used only for specific characterisation).

Let's face it, the Japanese love them some boobies (and who can blame them).

Anyway:
female charecters in video games tend to be posed (either in stills or victory poses) that don't so much convey their personality but sex appeal.

It's simple demographics. PC gamers used to be the stereotypical lonely nerd-boy desparate for the touch of a female. What better way to get them to buy your product? Theoretically no longer the case, but that generation of gamers is the current generation of game devs, so whaddaya gonna do?
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Brad wrote:It's simple demographics. PC gamers used to be the stereotypical lonely nerd-boy desparate for the touch of a female. What better way to get them to buy your product? Theoretically no longer the case, but that generation of gamers is the current generation of game devs, so whaddaya gonna do?

If my history of the gaming industry serves me well, it didn't prove so simple in the past. There was a more balanced ratio between boys and girls before the gaming market had become what it is today, even in the dev teams (IT used to be a maths division, not something shy of women). But at some point, the market had grown and a crisis hit the IT industry. Because of the crisis, they had to make cuts and started using more focused commercial techniques... techniques which relied on stereotypes (cheaper, easier, faster). And so, because the male audience was a tad larger and easier to cater to it became the default. The female audience was largely lost because of it.

This happened before my time though. But it's a pity. I don't mind the odd cheesy stereotyped game. It can be a fun laugh. But the lack of more "normal" and developed (female) characters is one of the factors that has me lose interest in computer games in general. It must be my age... but I find myself demanding more personality from characters to keep me interested in them. A gravity defying curve and some stupid one-liners isn't enough unless it's posed as a joke for a cheap laugh.

- The stiff breeze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Brad wrote:Using any female anime character is a bit unfair. Women in anime come in three basic archetypes:

1. Teenage, large-breasted, perky, sexually provocative.
2. Twenties and thirties, large-breasted, perky, sexually provocative.
3. Old, fat, warty (very rare, used only for specific characterisation).

Let's face it, the Japanese love them some boobies (and who can blame them).

Anyway:
female charecters in video games tend to be posed (either in stills or victory poses) that don't so much convey their personality but sex appeal.

It's simple demographics. PC gamers used to be the stereotypical lonely nerd-boy desparate for the touch of a female. What better way to get them to buy your product? Theoretically no longer the case, but that generation of gamers is the current generation of game devs, so whaddaya gonna do?

Its also a norm in most art forms, but I thought I put this to the test as to see if people's reactions think it leans one way or the other.

I am simply doing a simple experiment without stating if this is right or wrong.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

Daeron wrote:
Brad wrote:It's simple demographics. PC gamers used to be the stereotypical lonely nerd-boy desparate for the touch of a female. What better way to get them to buy your product? Theoretically no longer the case, but that generation of gamers is the current generation of game devs, so whaddaya gonna do?

If my history of the gaming industry serves me well, it didn't prove so simple in the past. There was a more balanced ratio between boys and girls before the gaming market had become what it is today, even in the dev teams (IT used to be a maths division, not something shy of women). But at some point, the market had grown and a crisis hit the IT industry. Because of the crisis, they had to make cuts and started using more focused commercial techniques... techniques which relied on stereotypes (cheaper, easier, faster). And so, because the male audience was a tad larger and easier to cater to it became the default. The female audience was largely lost because of it.

I was a professional IT nerd for the better part of a decade before, during and after the dot-com bubble burst in the '90s, and in that whole entire time - through three different companies and many many hirings and firings - I only ever had one single female co-worker.

That's only my own personal experience, of course.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

You lost me at Tails the Fox :?
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Ok, maybe something a little Blunter. ANd This time, probably only this time, 4 pics.

1 Poka Marine

2. Sub Zero from the Mortal Kombat

3. Lulu (the women in the black dress) from Final Fantasy X

4. Dagger from Final Fantasy IX

My Thoughts:

1. Stalwart (and very confident in himself).

2. Confidence, Battle Ready. It seems like the standard hero pose.

3. Protective. The face seems a little too serene, a little too gentle, but that may make her a better lady of war.

4. Prayerrful, peaceful, penatent
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Saintofm wrote: