Thraundils battle log game 56: UB tournament Round One!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Thraundils battle log, game 23: ETC vs New wood elves

Post by Thraundil »

Yo guys!
ETC singles tourney on friday. Did a practise game yesterday against the new wood elves, so I'm just dotting down a few thoughts and a brief match description.

My list:
Pegasus lord 4++, OTS and ogre blade
SS death with 5++, ironcurse and scroll
Master on pegasus, BSB, 4++
Master on pegasus, cloak
Master on steed, dawnstone, charmed shield, potion of strength
5 DR with champ, mus, crossbows, shields
5 DR with mus, crossbows, shields
5 DR with mus, shields
20 shards, FC, flaming
4 RBT
Chariot
5 warlocks, champ
5 warlocks

The reason for champion on two of the fast cav options is to give a little flexibility to the steed master. The unit can now take suicide / wizard bunker killing missions and have the champion eat the challenge. This is the list I will be running on sunday, except I might swap the 5+ ward on my supreme for MR(3), which means dropping the unit champion on the warlock unit.

His WE list:
Lvl 4 high, MR(3), steed
Lvl 2 shadow, steed
BSB with hail of doom, steed
2 waystalkers
3x13 glade guard, trueflight (no hit penalties)
2x5 glade riders, poison
7 wild riders
7 sisters
2x10 waywatchers

A seemingly pretty small army, the only thing I was really concerned about was his armor ignoring shots.

Deployment saw me hide my SS behind an impassable, having most crossbowmen able to fire (was concerned about snipes). I placed all chars out of LoS; 3 pegasi behind a hill to the right, all fast cav took the centre with the steed master, RBTs on the hill to the right. He placed every glade guard + 1 waywatcher unit in forests on the right side of the board (facing my artillery and characters). Wild rider and sister + characters went behind them. The guy usually plays dwarves, which showed in his castle type deployment. His other waywatcher unit went on the left flank, I was quite happy with him spreading his anti armor out. 1 waystalker in each waywatcher unit.

I vanguarded all fast cav towards the centre, intending to close him in. He won turn 1.

Turn 1:

WE:
He didnt move much, relocated his two fast cav units toward the centre. His 3 glade guards managed to kill 2 bolt throwers. Waywatchers killed a few DR, causing panic in one whom they failed even with BSB nearby. Not too shabby.

DE:
I tried to push a warlock unit into the waywatchers. Stand and shoot killed 4 of them though and the last guy ran. Another warlock unit charge his great eagle, with an overrun into the wild riders. Rest of the fast cav moves forward in the centre. The one fleeing DR unit fails to rally, again with BSB near, and runs off the board with a boxcar roll. That made it 5 failed panic tests in a row and counting. All 3 pegasus characters advanced full speed. Magic saw me get spirit leech on a waystalker, rolling a 1 for LD. Shooting saw me pick a few wounds off here and there, no panic tests though. Warlocks obliterate the eagle and overrrun into the wild riders.

Turn 2:

WE:
He moved his sisters clsoe to the wild riders for BSB reroll. Leftmost waywatchers shuffled a bit. One glade rider unit entered play and blocked my DR unit containing the master. His rightmost archers positioned themselves, and waywathcers moved a little forward to gain close range. This turned out to be a big mistake on his part. Magic saw an IF miasma on the warlocks, reducing their WS by a single point and blowing up 3 sisters in the resulting miscast. Also his power pool was emptied.
Then came the shooting. Everything unloaded on my general. 39 archer shots saw me fail a few armor saves, suffering a single wound. The waywatchers and waystalker rolled terrible for their to hit, and thankfully didnt manage to wound him. By rights, if the WE player had rolled average and had not mis positioned his waywatchers, my general should probably have died.
In melee, warlocks killed 4 wild riders, but took 4 casualties back too. (Out of 6 wounds, lousy ward saves!). Thanks to FC, he won the fight but my last warlock stuck.

DE:
Charges. One pegasus hero (cloak guy) was within 10" of the waywatchers, which meant no stand and shoot, so he took that charge. Realising his mistake, he opted to run with them. I redirected into one glade guard unit who shot, didnt wound him. My BSB charged the waywatchers, forcing them to run some more, then redirected into another glade guard unit who shot, and failed to wound. General then charged the waywatchers, forcing them off the board, and redirected the third glade guard unit who was too close to stand and shoot, and as such just held. 2 glade guard units were within forests, I passed dangerous terrain though. Steed master and his unit charged the blocking glade riders.

Crossbowmen marched up to get in range for magic (they never fired a shot all game, in fact). Spirit leech on his lvl 4 saw me roll 1 again. Caress saw me roll 6 to his S3, but then failed to wound with any of the hits. A soulblight fromt he warlock to the wild riders was dispelled. The warlock then fluffed his attacks and was killed by the wild riders.
Steedmaster wiped glade riders, reformed to face wild riders. (stupid move, should have faced the waywatchers!). Both general and BSB manage a fair amount of wounds, he is not steadfast due to forest. Both units roll 4 and 3 on their break tests though. No biggie. The remaining unit outside the forest, who WAS steadfast, broke, though :P and ran 3"... a 4" was all that was needed to take them off the board. Which is why I restrained. Bah :)

Turn 3 and onwards:
Basically, he outmaneuvered my remaining fast cavalry on the left flank and the waywatchers shot them to smithereens. Rerollable armor save on the master dont matter much when the arrows ignore armor! I got a caress on his lvl 4 again, inflicting 2 wounds. At one point he actually turned his flank to my 2 remaining bolt throwers in a blunder... With the lvl 4 being the guy in the flank sitting on one wound. 2 single bolts... Which both miss. Just one hit would've been enough to take his general, drat!

Anyways. I hid with all my stuff from the waystalkers, not wanting to take any chances. I ended up giving away all DR units, one warlock unit, and the steed master + 2 RBT, whereas I took both his glade riders, all his archers, and one waywatcher unit + waystalker, which was enough to give me the win.

Had he played more elf-like, not clustering up, I think it would be either a draw or a flat out loss for me. Waywatchers should have been together and further back, and those units would completely maul pegasus heroes. That being said, those waywatchers are the only thing DE heroes need to fear. They have a bunch of shooting which is very accurate, so infantry and small chaff units will be obliterated. The tactic vs any wood elf must be to blast the way watchers to kingdom come with magic and all shooting available, and then engage the rest in combat.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Thraundils battle log, game 23: ETC vs New wood elves

Post by T.D. »

Thraundil wrote: That being said, those waywatchers are the only thing DE heroes need to fear. They have a bunch of shooting which is very accurate, so infantry and small chaff units will be obliterated. The tactic vs any wood elf must be to blast the way watchers to kingdom come with magic and all shooting available, and then engage the rest in combat.

Mirrors my thoughts.

Wood Elves are squishy in CC, but the ultimate anti-Elf-cavalry army.

Thanks for the write up, and 'grats on the win :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thanks on the write up, seems as you stated he didn't play in a particularly elven way.
But given it is the first week of release, it is going to take time for players to adjust, and probably discover just how squishy other elves are.

Congratulations on the win though.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah. In all honesty, if I had played his wood elves and he had played my dark elves, I would've taken him clean off the board. Or he could have turtled behind a hill and gone for the draw. Since this is my tournament list, I'm gonna have to decide what to do if I face woodies on sunday... Luckily I already secured my first match vs Brets :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Hello Thraundil (Jakob)

It seems like a strong and oddly familiar list your using. :D

Grats on you win against the new WEs.

I was reading through your battlereport, and had a couple of thoughts on things you perhaps could have done differently.

Im not trying to be a smart-ass and detract from you nice win. I am assuming that you are posting reports for the same reason i am. (To get some feedback on the use of different lists to improve play.) So thats the spirit ill go from. Needless to say, I would encourage you to provide feedback on my errors and decisions in my own battlereports. It is usually much easier to spot "errors" from others, than from your own play.

Good job hiding your SS from view (and snipe) in deployment. No reason to give that free S3 hit.
You hid your pegasi behind a hill, which might have been a good idea. But normally i would try to position them openly attached to units. This gives added board-control, because the enemy needs to keep away from your flying charge move. It is not as important against a purely shooting list as this WE. But against other lists its increasingly important, to prevent them moving Demigryhps or similar 14" straight ahead towards your archer bunker.

You also decided to vanguard all fast cav towards the centre. Here I am thinking that against such a shooty list, you need to move your fast cav back to keep them out of range of his shooting. Generally speaking expecting to loose 1st turn to him, and minimize the damage he could do.

In his 1st turn he also killed 2 bolt throwers. I dont know the map. But did you consider placing them on your own backline to capatilize on your 48" range? It seems pretty easy for him to kill them. Could you have prevented that by placing them differently? RBTs can dominate the game vs WEs.

DE turn1:
The warlock charge into the WWs seems like easy points for him, but statistically he should only kill around 2 locks i think. So it might have been a good choice. WWs are the primary threat to you at this point, so focusing on them is the right thing. In magic, i understand that you feared his sniping waystalker, but i think the right thing to do, would have been to go for 2x Doombolts on his waywatchers, and simply keep your SS hidden until next round.
Regarding your Pegasi-heroes i think your doing the correct thing by moving them forward aggressively, as he has no counter to your charges. But i think you could have "protected" them a little better by joining each pegasus hero to a different fast cav unit to keep them a little safer from BS-shooting. If you had joined your DL to a unit of Dark Riders, and he had unloaded everything into them, you could still suffer wounds, but it would be much less likely to kill him. (And if you had focused on taking out his WWs with doombolts turn1, you would have faced a much lower risk situation.)

Regarding magic. I understand why you focused on sniping his characters, but i think your first priority should be to kill his WWs (Warlock Doombolts). When they are dead, your pegasus-heroes would be free to roam the board and put A LOT of pressure on his characters. That way you would also use most of your dice without a chance to miscast and loose your L4.

What do you think about this?

P.S. Just for the record, Im RasmusM on Powerfist. :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Hey dude - the list should look familiar. I basically ripped your list :p had been toying with the idea ever since the latest ETC drafts are putting more and more "dont run characters on steeds" limitations, and I like your magic item setup.

In regards to your points - and you are very correct, your feedback is exactly what I am looking for here - you are right in every regard. Even though I knew the WW would be the main threat, I underestimated them. I should've just pounded them with everything I had on turn 1, doombolts, short range crossbow volleys, the lot.

I forgot to mention there was a big impassable in the centre. His main archer line only had line of sight to one DR unit - which was a mistake, I should keep them back and use them to leapfrog the fliers. The 2 warlock and other 2 DR units could only be seen by his waywatchers, and I really wanted the "charge on turn 1" threat. He should indeed only have killed a few warlocks, which was why I took the charge. Them running so early kinda made my flank fall apart. Had I made the charge, I would hopefully have won combat with a warlock left which he might then kill in his turn, allowing me for a big charge turn 2.

RBTs could not have been further back. They where at the very back of the hill that was facing all of his revealed drops at the time... Further back meant behind the hill, and off the hill they would not have a good shot at anything. Him taking those shots meant that all his 3 glade guard unit was deployed 12" from the board edge, which was what gave me those strong charges in turn 2. So a decent tradeoff.

In a repeat matchup (which I think is likely on sunday, 2-3 wood elves will be there I think) I am definitely going to focus every resource on taking down waywatchers. Once they are dead, the game is mine.

And yes, in future matchups I will be joining a pegasus hero onto at least a few DR units where it is prudent, in order to leapfrog them maximum forward, and keep them safe from small arms fire. Vs for example high elves, being able to deny him RBT singleshots unless his archers can fully remove the 5 riders is massive.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :) even though I think I've improved alot over the 1½ years of playing warhammer, every bit of discussion on gameplay helps a bunch.

Come to Aarhus for one of the singles tourneys one day :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Mind you.

You will find many of the same mistakes (not attaching pegasus heroes to small cav units) in my own battlereports.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Scyloc wrote:Mind you.

You will find many of the same mistakes (not attaching pegasus heroes to small cav units) in my own battlereports.

Its an easy thing to forget that its both possible and smart :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Still not a sure way to keep them safe however, against the number of shoots coming your way from the wood elves you will have to allocate hits at some point. They are a different troop type so you can still be hit regardless of whether their are five DR left.
Should keep them a little more protected for a turn or two though.
Desidus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Desidus »

Can you legally attached Peg Masters and Lords to Cav units? I thought that because they counted as Flying Monstrous Beasts this was impossible?

Can you link a rule so I can find it for my own Gaming group should this actually be the case.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nothing stopping them. Just because they can fly, doesn't mean they have too. You would lose fast cav rules etc. All in the characters joining units section of the BRB.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

A character riding a monster may not join units. Nothing prevents a character riding a monstrous beast from joining a unit. They have different footprints and troop types, though, so you just attach the character to the side of the unit. There is no "look out sir!" either, so cannons and rock lobbers will just not care. BS-based shooting and doom divers generating hits on the unit will only hit dark riders so long as there are 5 of them, though. Once there are 4 or less riders left, you must allocate shots.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I believe you are incorrect on the 5 or more and they can't be hit. If they are a different unit type, they can be, by BS shooting. You have to allocate hits to them. The character is only safe if it is the same unit type and 5 or more.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Amboadine wrote:I believe you are incorrect on the 5 or more and they can't be hit. If they are a different unit type, they can be, by BS shooting. You have to allocate hits to them. The character is only safe if it is the same unit type and 5 or more.

You are indeed correct. Must be same troop type. I stand corrected :)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

It caught me out once, not something you forget again :)
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Attaching your peg heroes to 5 DRs or similar, is a very smart move vs Bolt throwers and WayWatchers.
Also against thunderers or similar.

Peg Hero + 4 DRs makes a single shot kill of your Hero much less likely, even if it is randomized. If he instead decides to fire 6 S4AP shots, you just dodged the single shot by 100%.

Its not essential vs most other ranged BS threats (S3)
It takes 12 wounding hits or just 36 hits from most BS shooting to take off a wound from a 1+, 4++, T4 peg hero.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Thraundils battle log, game 24-26: ETC Tournament results

Post by Thraundil »

Greetings, everyone! I return from the one-day tournament with 2 solid victories and one sound beating. I write a recap of the battles - quite shorter than my usual form, as I am abit short on time. I hope to get time to do a full report with diagrams again some time soon, I realise they are alot easier and more fun to read for you guys. But it also takes about 5 times as long if not more ;)

As described earlier,
DE list:

Pegasus lord 4++, OTS and ogre blade
SS death with MR(3) and scroll
Master on pegasus, BSB, 4++
Master on pegasus, cloak
Master on steed, dawnstone, charmed shield, potion of strength
5 DR with champ, mus, crossbows, shields
5 DR with mus, crossbows, shields
5 DR with mus, shields
20 shards, FC, flaming
4 RBT
Chariot
5 warlocks
5 warlocks

Game one: Bretonnians

I called a grudge game against this guy as he is one of my "gaming group" friends. Usually, when we play, LD rolls are out of this world. This game was no different.

Bretonnia:

Lord on horse, 1+, virtue of heroism and some source of ASF. Also, that item which gives his unit the same ward save as the rest of his army.
Lvl 4 life on horse
Paladin BSB on horse, +1d6 on first charge
lvl 1 life on horse
lvl 1 beast on horse
13 knights of the realm
3x12 peasant bowmen
12 skirmisher bowmen
3x5 mounted yeomen with bows
12 grail knights
2 field trebutchets

At a glance, a decent matchup for me as long as I could silence the trebutchets. Deployment saw the bretonnia army amass on the left side (from my PoV), with 5 yeomen and skirmishers being the only presence on the right side of the board. BSB and lvl 4 in grail knights, other characters in realm knights. I managed to get my RBTs in good, spread positions, crossbowmen in a forest with the lvl 4. Every character was out of shot range turn 1 - should he go for the roll. I anticipated that he might, but still vanguarded agressively. His right flank yeomen blocked my right flank warlocks at the expense of me taking complete centre control. There was no opening in his lines to get to his artillery, though.
He did go for the roll. But thanks to me having fewer drops, I won first turn.

Turn 1

Dark Elves:
Since I did not vanguard my right flank warlocks, they called a charge on his yeomen who fled.
5 DR with the steed master went into a good position to charge stuff. 2 DR units chargeblocked his grail knights, warlocks formed up to be 18" from one trebutchet, and the 3 fliers took the centre. Crossbowmen would have no clear field of fire, so they reformed. Magic was rather uneventful, he dispelled everything I attempted. Shooting saw a few grail knights die to RBT volleys. I also tried a single shot into the realm knights whom I thought had no save, but it turns out they get the same save as other knights, and since grail knights always get the blessing, he saved the only hit from it.

Bretonnia:
Grail knights called the charge on the dark rider block. However, I had messed up the angle; I fled, but he could swing around the 2nd blocking unit and catch the original unit. This left him in a precarious position, though. Magic was uneventful for him as well. His trebutchets scored a hit! on my cloak master, but he saved. The other scattered. Archers dropped a few dark riders here and there, but all panic was passed.

Turn 2

Dark Elves:
Lots of charges! All 3 fliers charged the grail knights - one in front, 2 in flank. Steedmaster with unit meant to as well, but in order for them to get through, the dark riders who was originally trying to chargeblock had to charge away first into his trebutchets backfield. It was a 6 on the 3d6. I roll 3 1's, fail the charge, and thus fail with the steed master. Bummer! Ah well. Magic is again dispelled, he burns the enchanted mirror. Shooting drops some archers since everything else was in cover.
Them comes close combat. 3 pegasus chars you think, they should put the hurt on. Nah! One is challenged, and kills a grail knight. Fair enough. The other 2 combined manage just a single wound on his BSB! The pegasi come in and save the day though, dropping the BSB dead. Curses, I was way too ambitious there. I won combat, but he holds on stubborn. I also forgot grail knights are stubborn!

Bretonnia:
His realm knights charge the one master in the front of his grail knights in the flank. (theres no way he can make it into contact with the others). Magic heals some grail knights back up. Well I'll be damned. I know I need maximum wounds, so I elect not to challenge. I kill many knights, he does 2 wounds to my master (no HKB's), only S4 though. Well, 2 1's up on the armor save. Good combat round. I am overall down by 2. The wounded master holds thanks to BSB reroll. The general flees though. So does the BSB - no wait, he is destroyed. So much for high LD.

Turn 3

Dark Elves:
I place blockers to protect my general, whom I rally. Steedmaster solocharges into the very depleted grail knight unit, expecting to take down the lvl 4 and add some CR. I get through on his backfield and start killing trebutchets, while warlock units butcher archers all over. Magic again fails to impress. Shooting sees all his yeomen finally off the board. Close combat sees my steedmaster hit the lvl 4 3 times. Wound 3 times. He lands 3 ward saves. The lady is really with him today! I lose combat by a little. Pegmaster, still sitting on one wound, sticks, while the steed master flees, dismayed by his utter failure to kill an unprotected wizard.

Bretonnia:
His backfield archers shuffle to try and protect his last remaining trebutchet. Magic heals a few grail knights up. The trebutchet misfires so my dreadlord is at least safe for now. In close combat he finally HKB my master, and reforms both knight units to face my general and lvl 4's unit.

Turn 4

Dark Elves:
A lone warlock moves to chargeblock his realm knight bus, to prevent an overrun. Steedmaster rallies. General flies towards war machines and archers in the backfield to assist the fast cavalry. Then comes magic. Two death snipes, and the lvl 4 is down to 1 remaining wound sitting in 5 grail knights. The crossbowmen shower the unit with shots, dropping 3 knights! 3 RBT volleys see the last two knights dead, but the lvl 4 remaining along with a single wound. Why do I not have a single shot to take at her!

Bretonnia:
Two choices for him. Hide his lvl 4 and kill my sitting duck steedmaster, or wait with charging and protect the lvl 4 into the realm knights. He goes with saving the lvl 4 - smart pick. I had fast cavalry ready to hunt her down and shoot her. Good for me, too! An uneventful phase where his trebutchet falls way off target. Life magic heals the lvl 4 fully up, though. Drat!

Turn 5

Dark Elves:
Charges on his backfield. Chargeblock his realm knights. This was a monstrous shooting round; he was on short range for my crossbows so I didnt have to move. 40 shots + 3 RBT volleys soon saw some 9 of the 13 knights fall to the ground, skewered with barbed bolts. He then fails panic and runs for it! Entire backfield is cleared up, his realm knights and characters all that remain on the field.

Bretonnia:
He rallies his unit. I manage to dispel all magic.

Turn 6

Dark Elves:
I move in to shoot as much as I can. I reduce the realm knights to 1 member with crossbow fire. 2 RBT volleys to randomise. Both times, the realm knight must eat a hit. Both times, he makes his save. Only 50% points for that unit :p

Bretonnia:
He tries to heal the relam knights beyond giving up points, but comes up short.

Result: I give up a few fast cav units, a bolt thrower and two of my heroes. He gives everything but his characters, but including his BSB, and most of his actual units. 15-5 victory for the dark elves after abit of an overextend by me, ridiculously poor close combat rolls and very bad break tests, my shooting came back and finished the job. I misplayed a little, was extremely unlucky and then extremely lucky in turn. Another time I should be patient, and let my shooting thin out the knights before engaging them!

Game two: Skaven

His list:
Greyseer, lvl 4 general. Ruin.
Greyseer lvl 4, plague
Lvl 2 ruin
2 warlocks lvl 0
BSB
2x20 slaves
2x40 slaves
35 stormvermin
3x5 rat packs with packmaster
3x5 gutter runners
2 cannons
2 wheels

I will describe this game very short handed. On my right flank, steed master cleans up one doomwheel. I get a super position turn 1 with my fliers behind a fence, meaning no cannon shots on them. His wheel then moves into short charge range of my general, presenting hits flank to me to add up! He puts down no flying, and blocks the other 2 'fliers' with a lvl 0, but the generals charge is still good. Need a 4 on the dice. Naturally I roll 3. General is stuck in the middle, other characters are forced to move around to take the hit for him. Stormvermin and doomwheel eat all 3 characters. Meanwhile, 3x5 gutter runners run havoc in my back lines, 20 darkshards over 3 turns of shooting managed a combined 2 wounds. In total. A cannon shot and a 13th later, the entire darkshard unit was gone.

Most ridiculous luck ever. Had my general made the charge, I had taken the wheel and then comboed his stormverming and characters and grinded them to smootz. I should maybe not have won the game, since my backfield vanished, but I definitely should not have lost it 0-20. Opponent was a good guy though, and said he was sorry to just see my dice completely frig me over.

Game three: High Elves

After a good showing game one, I somehow went into the third round in the bottom of the tables. At least, a good nemesis style matchup! High elves, with a list that I would have a good time against. The list was not strong at all, I felt like, and he was definitely a level below me in terms of gameplay.

Prince on steed, giant blade and 5++.
Lvl 4 with heavens and book.
Lvl 2 with high
BSB with reaver bow and pot of S
12 archers
2x5 reavers
13 silver helms
25 PG
8 sisters
3 RBT
Frost phoenix

He aparently really wanted the phoenix in his list. One cav unit, one infantry unit. Not super optimal. Deployment was KING for me, as all my characters was out of RBT threat turn 1 (which he won, of course, in spite of me getting the +1 ;). His SH bus was behind a hill, rest of his forces clumped up on the right side of the board.
I did win to vanguard first, though, so my steed master and 5 warlocks got a superb vanguard behind a hill with 2 warlocks peeking out around the side. Hard cover, but full charge vision!

Turn 1

High Elves:
He didnt move much, frostie repositioned a bit. Magic saw a comet on 2 of my bolt throwers. In shooting he targeted the steedmasters unit, but due to hard cover and range, he failed to inflict a single wound (my warlocks took the ward saves like bosses!).

Dark Elves:
He had not expected that I would be able to charge with the steedmaster. I slammed into a bolt thrower with an easy 4, and overran into the flank of the sisters!
On the centre field, dark riders and fliers took position so his SH bus could not charge, but if they moved at all I would get to charge him. Magic saw me chip a wound off his ward-less BSB, and shooting took most of his archers out.

Turn 2

High Elves:
He had to relieve his sisters, and tried to charge 5 reavers in. Unfortunately, he failed 2 dangerous terrain tests. Phoenix cowered behind a hill, set up to be able to charge my masters unit in the next turn. Then he also opted to move the silver helms on top of the hill, weird move as there was really nothing to gain for him except letting me shoot him. He also didnt move his lvl 4, who was prone to a charge from my steedmaster should I break the sisters. Magic was uneventful, as I burned my scroll seeing his error with the lvl 4. The comet did land though, killing my 2 RBTs. Shooting put 4 wounds on my chariot. In close combat, my master turned around and killed all 3 reavers by himself, while the warlocks gave 4 sisters a quick death. The remaining 4 broke, was run down and caught, and I slammed into the flank of the lvl 4 and his 5 archer guardians!

Dark Elves:
Dark riders moved to chargeblock the SH unit, fliers took up positions to charge. One flier even got a free shot at some reavers, broke them, but was sadly in range now for a bolt thrower. Magic see me kill his BSB with death snipes. Shooting did not much. In close combat I killed the lvl 4 outright, though, and the archers fled. I wanted to restrain, as an overrun would take me straight into the phoenix guard flank, but I failed the test and sure enough, made it in. But alright... I could live with that ;)

Turn 3

High Elves:
In desperation, the silver helms tried charging the dark riders. They fled. In horror I realised he could redirect my chariot! However, he failed his LD test to do so... This is a mistake I will not make again when charge blocking. His phoenix charged my master and warlocks in the rear. I dispelled all his magic with ease. Shooting put 2 wounds on my prone master, ouch! At least not an instant kill. The phoenix guard and phoenix dismembered my warlocks, and the master fled and was run down by the bird. He did not die in vain though, as he brought the bird way far away from the action.

Dark Elves:
3 fliers slam into the flank of his SH unit. Chariot slam into the other flank. Dark riders move to block the phoenix guard. Remaining warlocks swing about to pressure his RBTs. Magic see me kill his lvl 2, so no more magic for him. In close combat, his prince challenge and I accept with my lord. Duel of the fates! Thanks to rerolls, I give him a wound and he gives me nothing. The two masters and impact hits kill a combined 6 silver helms. Theres still 6 models total left, so a) he is steadfast and holds and b) the chariot must remain in base contact with 2 silver helms, meaning my dark riders blocking the phoenix guard are ineffective!

Turn 4

High Elves:
PG take the charge on the dark riders. Realising my mistake, I just flee and he then redirects the chariot. Shooting killed a few warlocks, not enough to stop me from eating the bolt throwers next turn. His phoenix also flies down to pressure my SS. In close combat, my lord manage another wound on his prince while taking nothing in return. The PG kill the chariot, which effectively takes him out of the combat. Masters kill 2 more SH, meaning he is no longer steadfast and is down by a few. He breaks, I try to restrain, not wanting to take my characters in front of his PG. Stupid me - next turn was MY turn. Pursuring had been totally safe! Anyways, I do elect to pursue with the master on one wound, as I deemed the points from killing his general was worth that. He didnt catch up, though.

Dark Elves:
The master on 1 wound charge his fleeing prince and runs him down. Dreadlord slams into the rear of the phoenix. Dark riders block the phoenix guard, this time succesfully, and the darkshards move to safety. I toss both soulblight and doom and darkness on the bird, and my dreadlord inflicts 4 wounds on it. He takes one back, though, but the bird flees and I run it down - trampling over dangerous terrain and taking another wound!

Turn 5+6
He gets one RBT shot through hard cover on my wounded general. It doesnt hit. His PG also charge the blocking riders and wipe them. We then shake hands, as I would simply not engage the PG and there was no way he could get to me.

A smashing 19-1 victory for me. The kinglike vanguard on my right flank meant that everything else could focus on the central task of breaking his prince. I played the game almost perfectly (the double chariot messup was a shame), and he made several mistakes which I took full advantage of. So in the end I redeemed myself, with a total of 34 BP over 3 games - above average, enough to finish 10 out of 22.

The tripple flier + steed character gives so much mobility. Versus bus armies I need to be more patient - just redirect and shoot him abit while taking down everything else. And THEN, when he is already wounded, combocharge him. A super fun list which I will very likely play again in the future, as theres really so much to learn from playing such a high mobility list.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Thraundils battle log, game 24-26: ETC Tournament result

Post by Amboadine »

Nice write up, bad luck against those Skaven, I hope you sacrificed your die to the dice gods as punishment and supplication.
Congratulations on the placing, seems to be improving each tourney.

You are of course correct, love the diagrammed battle reports, but understand and appreciate the time it takes to complete them.
Sixplus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Sixplus »

Great reports. Really enjoying reading through your blog especially the last few games with the flying peg circus that hits hard and fast. Just something to remember for next time you play brets, grail knights aren't stubborn. The grail reliquae is but that is a completely different unit. Unless someone had the stubborn crown. Hopefully it didn't change the game too much as you still got a great win. You did say he was a regular at your local club though so in case you play him again. The skaven game was really rough, horde armies are a tough matchup for your list at the best of times but the bad dice really didn't help. When is your next tournament, how many points and whats the comp going to be like?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Thanks for the comments guys =)
The grail knight battle wouldnt have changed. At no time in the melee was he under 3 models, so he would've retained steadfast anyway. Still got the win, so im not fussed, and I learned that I just need to be patient with my fliers :P
Yeah the skaven game was just a complete toss. Best not to dwell on it... If I had just kept like 2 or 3 BP against him I would've gotten top 5.

Next one-day tournament is probably gonna be the end of june ish. ETC comp again, probably. This time I will go all out with 4 pegasus characters! =]
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thraundil wrote:Next one-day tournament is probably gonna be the end of june ish. ETC comp again, probably. This time I will go all out with 4 pegasus characters! =]

I have had a few games now with four, with good success (3 wins out of 3) but have decided to strip back to two or three. The additonal peg over steed master didn't make a great deal of difference in the main, so decided I could use those forty points better elsewhere.

Be interesting to see the list you go with, if you don't mind sharing.

I will say however running four was alot of fun :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Coming soon! The exciting battle of kinslaying, with illustrations!

The Dread Lord Thraundil squared off in a game versus the Wood Elves. Including characters, he had 6 drops at 2400 points ETC (temp for WE) restrictions.

My list was a variation of the 4 pegasus build, sporting a choice of magic lore picked to support the pegasi to the max. I am currently torn between life and metal. If life, the build stays as is. If metal, the build changes slightly to put the lvl 4 back on foot, add a protector for the bunker (e.g. a chariot again) and back up to 2x5 warlocks.

Current list:
Dreadlord, pegasus, 1+, cloak, dawnstone, dragonhelm, lance
Master, pegasus, BSB, 1+, 4++, charmed shield, lance
Master, segasus, 1, 4++, lance
Master, pegasus, 1+, 5++, OTS, lance, brace of handbows
Lvl 4 on steed, MR(2) and scroll, lore of life
22 Darkshards, FC, shields, flaming banner
5 DR, shields, crossbows, mus
2x5 DR, shields, mus
4 RBT
5 shades
9 warlocks, champion

Enemy Wood Elf list:
Lvl 4, steed, high magic, MR(2) and scroll
Lvl 2, steed, shadow magic, shielding scroll
BSB, steed, charmed shield, hail of doom arrow
4x5 Glade Riders, poison
7 Glade Riders, starfire arrows
2x6 Wild Riders
2x3 Warhawk Riders
8(?) Sisters
2x10 Waywatchers

5 ambushers, 2 scout units! 6 drops. How many lists have fewer? Genious and super mobile list.

What was the result? How many lives where mercilessly and meaninglessly lost in the bitter strife between kinsmen? Illustrated battle report coming up some time tomorrow!
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Looking forward to seeing how you got on. I love my four pegasus list, so will be nice to steal, sorry reapply some of your learnings for when I finally get to play against the new army book list.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Thraundils battle log, game 27: ETC vs WE (illustrated!)

Post by Thraundil »

As promised!

Thraundil wrote:Current list:
Dreadlord, pegasus, 1+, cloak, dawnstone, dragonhelm, lance
Master, pegasus, BSB, 1+, 4++, charmed shield, lance
Master, segasus, 1, 4++, lance
Master, pegasus, 1+, 5++, OTS, lance, brace of handbows
Lvl 4 on steed, MR(2) and scroll, lore of life
22 Darkshards, FC, shields, flaming banner
5 DR, shields, crossbows, mus
2x5 DR, shields, mus
4 RBT
5 shades
9 warlocks, champion

Enemy Wood Elf list:
Lvl 4, steed, high magic, MR(2) and scroll
Lvl 2, steed, shadow magic, shielding scroll
BSB, steed, charmed shield, hail of doom arrow
4x5 Glade Riders, poison
7 Glade Riders, starfire arrows
2x6 Wild Riders
2x3 Warhawk Riders
8(?) Sisters
2x10 Waywatchers

Deployment:

Terrain: 2 hills one in his deployment zone and one in front of mine. 2 forests - third one in the upper right corner is the WE one. Lake in the centre, ruins in my deployment zone and an impassable building in front of my zone on the left flank. I chose sides; chose the side with the impassable to hide my characters from the pesky start shots!

My 7 drops vs his 6. I deployed first, spreading my dark riders across the field. He deployed wild riders and warhawk riders, only dropping the sisters last. I counted on him getting first turn, so I deployed all my important stuff well out of sight. He got to vanguard first, and blocked my right side with a warhawk move. Wild riders made sure they where NOT in forests as I had life magic. Warhawk riders as well (they are outside of the forest, bad diagram here). My only vanguard was the left flank one to deny his hawks or bait a charge. He also got to deploy scouts first, but put them well out of range of anything of mine, should I somehow get turn 1. I just placed my shades safe behind a hill.

Magic: His lvl 4 got soul quench, walk between worlds, hand of glory and arcane unforging. Lvl 2 got withering and miasma.
My lvl 4 rolled... Wait for it. 1, double 2, and a 4. Thats right, the dice showed none out of the 3 most important spells in the damned lore! So I ended up getting the magic missile spell, flesh to stone, shield of thorns and dwellers. Not at all optimal.

Anyways. Me having lost both the vanguard and scout roll, and the deployment roll, really, naturally, I also lost roll for turn 1 ;)

Wood Elves turn 1:

No charges since his entire army vanguarded. The wild rider / warhawk teams on either flank surged forward. Waywatchers position themselves to shoot, and the caster bus moves out to be able to cast.

Magic sees a -3 BS miasma on the rightmost bolt thrower, but I dispel the rest.

Shooting sees the left flank dark riders annihilated. 5 hits, 5 wounds, 5+ armor save none passed. Centre dark riders suffer a few wounds too but pass panic.

Dark Elves turn 1:

Left flank moves out! P1 is the guy with armor of destine, P2 with OTS. P2 was mispositioned; he should have looked toward the waywatchers, too. Centre moves forward to shoot. (DR1 are the unit with crossbows).

Magic sees me get a magic missile on the waywathcers, killing 4. Flesh to stone on the darkshards to try and discourage charging them.

Shooting saw a few wounds go on both warhawk units, but no casualties.

Wood Elves turn 2:

Central warhawks charge darkshards, who shoots, kills one. He fails panic and runs! The wild riders behind them also charge, as does the left flank warhawks. Both make it. Left flank wild riders declare a long charge on the bolt thrower and fails.

Waywatchers shuffle. Leftmost are out of charge sight of P1, but can still shoot at P2 (which is why he should have faced the other way!). Sister bus moves up to kill the shades. On the left, 3 glade rider units with poisoned arrows enter the board!

Magic is uneventful. I believe a soul quench kills 3 shades, and the right bolt thrower is again -3 BS miasma'd. Shooting sees the shades dead, but waywatchers fail to wound my heroes or I ward them. Between the 15 poison shots of the 3 glade rider units they only manage 1 wound on the bolt thrower!

In close combat, the darkshards slay a warhawk and 2 wild riders, lose 9 shards in return (the flesh to stone was huge in this fight), lose combat but remains steadfast and holds.

Dark Elves turn 2:

Pegasus lord attempts a charge on warhawks but fails. BSB and P2 charge wild riders and make it. P1 flies to control the right flank. Again I misposition him: he should have looked at the fleeing warhawks, as he could have had an easy charge next turn.

Dark riders move to try and occupy waywatchers, to delay them from shooting armor ignoring arrows on my heroes. Warlocks position themselves to magic missile the other waywatchers. I then snakeeye winds, he channels 2(!) and I dont. So bother to that =]

My still surviving leftmost bolt thrower unleashes a volley pointblank into the glade riders killing 4. The other bolt throwers chip in, killing 3 off another unit, both pass panic though. Dark riders shoots a few waywatchers, a wild rider dies to my mega miasma'ed bolt thrower.

In melee, the darkshards eats like 4 wounds (parries like a boss!), and all wild riders are decimated. With the rear and charge bonus I win hugely, the warhawks flee. As the ruins are dangerous terrain for anyone but skirmish, I elect to reform with everything.

Wood Elves turn 3:

Not wanting to take his chances with shooting, his left glade riders charge the bolt thrower. Wild riders charge the other bolt thrower in the centre. Both warhawk units rally. Sisters shuffle, waywatchers on the left flank comes out to shoot pegasi.

Magic sees me toss all dice on dispelling arcane unforging, which means he gets a walk between worlds on his southern warhawks, getting them out of charge arc of "P2".

Shooting sees a few warlocks die from glade riders, waywatchers manage a wound somewhere that is ward saves. Rightmost waywatchers unload on my dark riders, somehow only killing one. Both bolt throwers are, unsurprisingly, slain. Central wild riders need a 10 to reach the next, but only come up with a 9.

Dark Elves turn 3:

P1 attempts a long charge on waywatchers in the woods but fail, and lands in the lake. Dark riders then charge them, hoping to at least thin their numbers. The 3 other pegasi move up to pressure the caster bus, knowing full well thats where the points are. The 2 riders of DR3 blocks any charge temptations. Warlocks move just in range of dwellers. The warhawks have a flank on them, but I trust that 5 poisoned attacks and guaranteed steadfast 10 with reroll will discourage him.

Magic then snakeeyes again. And he channels. Again.

Central bolt thrower volleyfires the wild riders point blank, killing 3. In close combat, 4 dark riders manage to kill one waywatcher, losing 3 of their numbers in return. Without ranks on his side though, I only lose by 1 and hold.

Wood Elves turn 4:

Southmost warhawks charge darkshards. Wild riders charge the bolt thrower, angling to overrun into darkshards too, which they manage to do. His starfire glade riders enter play, and goes to take out my remaining artillery. Left flank shuffles, waywatchers hold their ground to shoot my pegasi.

Magic is rather uneventful, this time he rolls poorly. Shooting sees his glade riders again fail to wound my bolt thrower! Close combat sees me pass parry saves like a champion, killing a warhawk off. With flag and charges its a tie, but musician wins! Warhawk runs, wild riders lose frenzy but sticks.

Dark Elves turn 4:

P1 charge waywatchers who runs. With no redirect possible, he failcharges but to a reasonably nice position. Other 3 pegasi move up to encircle the caster bus; at this point, there is no way he can avoid a charge from at least one pegasus with just normal movement. Dark riders again block any of his own charges.

Warlocks move in position to do magic. I abandon the darkshards to their fate. Magic sees a good roll. He dispells my doombolt and scrolls my dwellers though. Shooting, I believe, kill a few glade riders.

In combat, darkshards kill a wild rider and lose none in return. I think he might have run, but maybe he sticks? I forgot. Not so important either.

Wood Elves turn 5:

Warhawks charge darkshards. So does glade riders, but fail 2 dangerous terrain tests, panics, and runs! Anyways, warhawks make it in. I think its actually a flank, not a rear. Sisters go as far away from me as they can. Last glade rider unit enters play and finally kills my bolt thrower. Waywatchers rally.

He then tries a walk between worlds on 5 dice for the sister bus! If I dont dispel, he's gone. 4 dice is thankfully enough, and the spell is gone.

In melee, darkshards are finally routed after holding their ground for such a long time.

Dark Elves turn 5:

Lord and P1 slam into the caster bus. BSB repositions just 12" away from the lord. P2, who starts his move behind a wall thus hard cover, charges the waywatchers who shoots, but fail to hit due to the -4. He makes it in.

Warlocks move away from the southern glade riders. Magic sees shield of thorns on my pegasus hero in combat, hoping to take some of his high magic wound counters off. Sadly, he has mr(2), thus 2++ vs the hits.

In melee, his BSB challenge and my lord accepts. 3 hits, charmed shield takes one and his wound counters take the other two. So much for cloak of twilight ;) my master places a wound on his lvl 2. The lords pegasus then wounds the BSB once. I take nothing in return, but he is steadfast and holds, of course.

My pegasus hero decimates the waywatchers who runs. I reform to spot the bus.

Wood Elves turn 6:

Time for him to load up on magic as much as he can. He attempts shield of thorns for life sig, I dispel. He tries hand of glory, which I also dispel. He then tries a walk between worlds on some waywatchers just for the counter, but he fails to make the roll. Curse of anraheir does go through on my lord, though.

In melee, that proves to be vital as my lord fluffs all 4 hits. To add insult to injury, the BSB then wounds the lord twice. Snakeeye, reroll. Another 1. All in all I lose combat by 1 but hold.

Dark Elves turn 6:

End time! 2 more pegasi crash into the bus. Lord slays the BSB finally, and the 3 pegasi combined reduces the unit to 3 models thanks to the other tricksters shard. We shake hands.

Wow, are wood elves hard to catch! Even with 4 fliers covering the board, he nearly got away due to high magic. I was lucky to catch him, and thats all she wrote. He took everything but my characters and warlocks, and he should have gotten the bolt throwers off the board much faster than he did. Since he failed to kill them fast, I managed to kill several warhawks, wild riders and glade riders, giving me a few more points than I should have had. But man did my magic suck this game. In the end, it was 15-5 win for me due to the overwhelming points he had in the caster bus. If he had gotten the walk between worlds off, I think he would have had a narrow win.

After the game, we discussed that he should have moonstone on his lvl 2 or 4. If he had had that, he was also guaranteed to escape my surround. Wood elves are not an army that can table a list like mine, but he can definitely draw it, maybe even with a small win. I was a bit lucky to catch him out. The strength of WE is definitely shooting, mobility, and high punch fast cav, and if he dedicates to that with a moonstone, you as a DE player must place units in forests when you chase the bus - and I just had no units to place, in the end! So He could have beat me. Thats a thing to look out for when playing woodies.

With a pegasus list; kill or pressure the waywatchers with everything you got. Force them to focus on dark riders, not heroes. Then, chase either "everything else", or the bus. Since all his units are so fast, they are all equally hard to catch, so the biggest point return comes from catching the bus, and pegasus heroes are just so sturdy they can easily hold their ground for a turn or two. Just be mindful of them wound counters from high magic ;)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Thraundils battle log, game 27: ETC vs WE (illustrated!)

Post by Thraundil »

Lore of life was, aside from the flesh to stone on darkshards, completely useless for me this game. (That being said, the T boost saved the unit, allowing them to clean up several of his smaller units one at a time!).

Then again, turn 2 and 3 was snakeeyes for winds of magic, so any lore had been useless in that regard too. And my fast cav managed to occupy one of his waywatcher units long enough for the fliers to get the job done. By that time, the game was already won, mostly. I did get the occasional spell off, so IF he had wounded the masters once or twice with shooting, I would have healed it. I like the concept of the lore: without life, if a master falls to 1 wound, I will often hide him to conserve points. But now, I can press forward, relying on life attribute, which means the potential return value of each master is greater, and as the list is built around those pegasi, I think that is definitely a good thing.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.