How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

With Elves losing frenzy with Witchbrew

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Hi guys,

Pretty sure there was a thread on this but can't seem to find it :/

A little problem I had in my last game - switching back to using WE for a bit. Block of WE with CoB, Hag with WB. If the unit loses combat, it loses frenzy - what effect does WB have?

I wasn't sure if it's effects are completely lost or if it reduces it from +2 Attacks to just the +1. As in, the lose frenzy, but WB gives them frenzy again?

Anyone else had this?

Thanks in advance for any responses :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: With Elves losing frenzy with Witchbrew

Post by Thraundil »

It is difficult to make a complete analysis of this due to how witchbrew is written, but here goes.

Witchbrew states that the bearer and her unit gains the frenzy special rule. If the bearer loses combat, she loses the frenzy special rule as per the BRB. Hence, witchbrew is no longer in effect. This is personally how I would play it.

Others however might argue that the bearer of witchbrew just permanently "gains" the frenzy rule if she should ever lose it somehow. And for 30 points, that seems highly unlikely to be the intention of the item - permafrenzy for an entire unit for 30 points is a bargain, and I would neve rplay it like this. In addition, if the bearer of witchbrew dies, the frenzy buff is lost. Again, my opinion on how it should be played.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Right ok, yeah that was the way it went yesterday - some part of my mind seemed to remember a horrendously long thread on it so I thought it may be different :P

cheers mate
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

In the 7th edition WoC book, they had the addition of "and may never lose this frenzy" tacked on to the rules for one of its frenzy abilities, suggesting that GW believed that in order for frenzy to be permanently construed by an item or ability, you had to have this clause added. Of course, that was a long time ago, but I would certainly fall into the camp that believed with witch brew, frenzy is only conferred until the bearer loses combat, then its gone, until next game.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

We FAQed at D.net that WB is lost too. That's not pure RAW, but that's reasonable.
See FAQ, top middle of your screen.
"The effects of Witchbrew are permanently lost if
the Death Hag is beaten in combat (whether on
her own or in a unit)."
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

A side question from this topic for clarification:

Brewhag's unit loses combat, thus super frenzy. Cauldron casts the frenzy spell on them, they get double frenzy back, yeah?
Akholrak
Executioner

Post by Akholrak »

Curse_Bearer wrote:A side question from this topic for clarification:

Brewhag's unit loses combat, thus super frenzy. Cauldron casts the frenzy spell on them, they get double frenzy back, yeah?

No. As the unit is seized to be Frenzied, when the Bound Spell from the Cauldron is cast, it effects the unit as if it wasn't already Frenzied, so they gain the Frenzy rule, but Witchbrew does not then apply to that, as Witchbrew has already been lost.
Curse_Bearer
Shade

Post by Curse_Bearer »

Curses! The red lemonade spills, agh! !mad!