[PLOG] Veysha Everkiss and the Clan of the Shadow Fox

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Re: [PLOG] The vengence of Veysha Everkiss

Post by flatworldsedge »

...continued from above. I couldn't upload more than three images on the last post.
Attachments
Slightly different angle...
Slightly different angle...
Current build - nearly there, just needs the cloak and a little more drama in the pose (hopefully possible once the Blu Tack is taken out).
Current build - nearly there, just needs the cloak and a little more drama in the pose (hopefully possible once the Blu Tack is taken out).
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

No problem, I was happy to help. :)
Veysha looks great, I can't wait to see the final model. You were definitely right about the head and its cold expression and it doesn't look too small to me. (But a crown might still look good, given what she is? :) ) Are you going to attempt some freehand on the shield as well? It looks like a great opportunity for showcasing some sort of her personal emblem.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Just a brief update as I'm worried people will think I've gone off course. After two weeks in DC training for my new job, I've been back and made some progress on the painting. What follows gives a brief update on fluff and my road map for the next week or so's painting - as much for my own reference and planning as anything, so I'd respect any one that signed off here! It's a bit of a ramble as I download in note form the various threads buzzing around in my head.

All the black undercoating of reins/metal/similar is now done on the cold ones. It took forever, picking it out against the dry brushed green. I think the order was correct, due to the dry brushing, but I did keep wondering if it should have been the first step on the agenda.

I've now added screamer pink mouths with druchii purple wash, and all the top ridge of spines is undercoated with a thinned Zandri dust. Next I'm going to try my hand at gently glazing the spines up to Ushabti bone, then may be a touch of white. Same for the claws. Depending on the success of that I'll thin paint accordingly to highlight the mouths/tongues up to Emperor's Children (pink). Then a white dot for the eyes, and highlighted yellow on top.

After all that we've got silver for their breastplates. Fluff-wise, I'm leaning towards a Shade/Autarii theme for the army, so think I'll add purple swirls to the breastplates in the style of Autarii tattoos. More on that below.

All of that done, I'll go back and tidy up any spills with the original dark and medium greens, then wash them in. Then all the side lines of spikes will be done in a crazier green - probably warp/moot green - to add some zap per people's advice above. I think a scattering of individual scales will get some variation with similar warp/moot highlighting - especially those with corrected spill. Then some dark green/black/brown washes to blend it in. Hoping to have all that done in 2-3 weeks. That will make the cold ones - with no riders - a 2-3 month project, which is obviously ridiculous, but I'll put it down to starting a new job, travel to several countries and coming back to painting after a break.

For pictures of all the above I'm moving to Flickr to host so I can get people proper pictures. As noted above, I'm a semi-pro photographer shooting for Getty Images, so it's kind of pathetic I'm asking you all to tolerate iPhone pics pasted into post at low res! Sorry - and thanks for bearing with me on that. My main Flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/flatworldsedge/ didn't seem the right place to host them, hence the delay and dilly-dallying launching a new one for this project.

So fluff-wise, the travelling did let me do some thinking.

The main thought was that if Veysha is setting out to torture Morathi to death, there's a question of who knows. Is this a mad open rebellion, a horrifically secret plot or something in between?

One thought - as my force is Witch Elf heavy - would be some kind of sponsored plot with Hellebron, who clearly would like to see Morathi come to a gruesome end. Yet, I really don't like special characters. I'm a D&D chap before anything else. I like games with a "your guys" vibe, and more and more GW seems intent on stamping that out in favour of Special Characters (TM) they can package up and cross sell. Fair play to them, they need to make money, and I've enjoyed a few of the books, but I don't like the trend - so put a line through Hellebron.

What I've decided to, and just need to write some fiction to commemorate, is more of a Shade theme. The army lends itself to that - lots of dark riders are easy to bend to an Autarii angle. I have some shades too; easy. The Cold One knights I imagine as Veysha's loyal band of retainers, in on the plot, and now painted up to show allegiance with their shade allies - lots of dark aesthetic swirls, etc. would look cool too. The witch elves I'm tempted to paint as some kind of Autarii wild women, and warlocks I might well deploy as witch elves mounted on wolves with magic staves and cloaks. Cost is my only concern - lots of good looking wolves, but not cheap...

I think it could make sense by way of pact. I think Veysha's ancient grandfather (BSB/Master), thought dead a thousand years ago, has in fact set himself up as a warlord amongst shades. More on this when I have fiction/pics to justify your attention. There's a theme bouncing around in my head how longevity and ambition might play out for Dark Elves - whilst human life spans see parents seek success for their children, Dark Elves must no doubt compete directly with them - so much of the prime of their lives would overlap. Perhaps though when you take a grandfather or great grandfather, advancing centuries and millennia, and the decrepitude of age could foster a situation where they did seek genuine advancement for their grandchildren, even as bitterness pitted them against their children.

Ramble over - if you've made it to here, PM me - I'll run a lottery and ship £10 to a charity of the winner's choosing by way of penalty for my self indulgent brain dump! Sorry to use the PLOG as a note taking device!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I, for one, really liked your "ramble", it's very interesting to see your thoughts as you develop something unique. I look forward to watching this force grow both in models and fluff to forme one whole. And I love stories and thinking about them. :)

Your painting plan seems great and very time and patience consuming. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you and eagerly await to see the models, with this much care they will be exquisite, as the WIP pictures already show.

As for the fluff, I really like the direction you are going. Even though a Hellebron-sponsored rebellion wouldn't necesserily mean using Hellebron as a special character - or anything at all except maybe a distant ally, I have to say I like your second idea much more. It would make the army more unique - in my oppinion, at least - and offer ground for some amazing conversions and alternative models. Have you seenn the Circle Orboros models from Hordes, by the way? I think the Tharn models could work very well for what you have described, both for cultists and female wolf riders. And dark swirls might be lovely, so there's another reason to go for it. :)

How would elven society function with their crazy longevity is a question, but I think youre right about the competition between parentsand their children and the idea with grandparents or great-grandparents is a very intriqueing one. (I have to admit I just try to ignore this issue as much as possible when building my own fluff, so it's really nice to see someone else actually give it some thought.

So, to sum up my own comments, thank you for writing this and I really, really like where you're going with your force.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Quick update, some photos shared below - even though they're very much work in progress, adding white dots for eyes, teeth and at different stages painting their mouths.

The main reason for the update is unpainted Cold One on sprue you see. I've essentially binned the (very expensive) resin Cold One from the the "Dreadlord on Cold One" model, and will be replacing it with a newly painted plastic Cold One.

The plastic is so detailed and sharp, and I'm really enjoying painting them. The resin was shocking. Amateurish. The model just wasn't progressing as I wanted, and I couldn't see it ever looking good enough for my general to ride. When compared with the rank and file Cold One's, the detail was so soft. Things like it's teeth were all skew-wiff and crooked, it's scales were soggy and splayed into one another.

I understand resin came in for criticism when released - I wasn't playing or painting at the time - but coming at it now alongside the plastic, I'm horrified at the quality. Better painters can no doubt do good things with it, but I rely too much on the shape of the miniature itself and can't freehand on all the missing details and contours that the 'Eavy Metal team are skilled enough to create. Kudos to them!

I wish I'd gone with my instinct and written the model off earlier. As it is, now's the time to call "sunk cost" and back fill with the plastic.

Sorry for a negative post! Hope everyone else is having a better end to the week.
Attachments
Different stages of progress - working through the teeth and adding white dot undercoats for the yellow eyes.
Different stages of progress - working through the teeth and adding white dot undercoats for the yellow eyes.
DE cold ones group.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 9249 times
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

It's a pity about the model. :(
Maybe you'll be pleased to hear that GW is most probably moving away from resin, I think the most recent models inclusing characters are most usually plastic now. (while I like resin for being easy to cut up, plastic kits are often even better)

The cold ones look great, all the work that went into them is clear to see.
My painting blog

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

That's good news - I am really keen on their new plastic ranges. A few odd decisions with placement on the sprue, but nonetheless, the actual quality of the detail is lovely. It really flatters non- professional painters!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Plus, it's usually possible to kitbash. :) Even though some of the kits seem to be made in such a way to make conversions downright impossible (new dark riders/warlocks, grrr!) But I'm mostly happy as well. :)
My painting blog

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Yep - it's a shame about the Warlock/DR legs! It's odd - the staff I meet in GW stores have all been incredible people; really excited and keen about possible conversions, touring round the shop looking at options with me. They've been great (especially Pablo and Matt at Oxford St). Conversions must be good for GW - e.g. I've just bought ten Fenrissian wolves for my Warlocks, onto which I'll be putting ten Witch Elves, and I'll be buying a kit for legs - possibly the Sisters of the Thorn, so I can use their staves too, and maybe the awesome Wild Rider heads for something (shades maybe?). That's lots more expensive than just picking up a box or two of Warlocks.

However, the company itself seem against it somehow in some of the decisions they make. Perhaps it's the bits market they don't like, and attaching legs to horses helps combat that?

Army wise, today was a good day - more progress with the Cold Ones, and a light tent on order so I can take proper pictures for the PLOG!

The 1,000 points are mostly bought now - I have the 10x Dark Riders (just standard, though want to "shade them up a bit" - maybe wild rider heads for them?).

The 10x Cold Ones are bought and Veysha planned - just need to make final decisions on how to sex up her Cold One now it will be standard plastic. I might cut lots of the plate armour off the resin one and blend that on in places - the barding is ok in resin! I think her legs need a bit of attention now they'll be the standard CoK legs.

As noted above the 10x Warlocks are part bought - wolves and Witch Elves - enough to assemble the mounts.

Just need to make a decision re: the shade models. HE Shadow Warriors, maybe Wyches, maybe something else.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I am just as confused as you are as I thought the company actually encouraged conversions.

anyway, that sounds great, I can't wait to see the finished warlocks. (and everything else) I have found pictures of what I was trying to suggest earlier, just in case you wanted to mix the models:
wolf riders: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/galler ... olf-riders
female cultists: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/galler ... oodweavers
more wild-looking models: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/galler ... odtrackers

What is the general feel you want to achieve with your shades? I would love to help. :)
My painting blog

taggart
Warrior

Post by taggart »

Very impressed with your work so far , much better than i can achieve . The Cold Ones are in the same style as i'm trying to do mine in .

I know what you mean about the resin Dreadlord on Cold One , binned mine as well . It was so soft and poorly moulded i just thought "what is this piece of **** ?" . They are not cheap models to buy and to get that poor quality is not right . I always thought that resin was used more by small scale manufactures rather than the major players .
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

@taggart -
i just thought "what is this piece of **** ?"

Lol - that's exactly what I thought! The only piece I think I will use is the Dreadlord's sword - which is nice. Even if I had to straighten it in hot water!

@Rowena - I absolutely love those models you link to. Especially the wolf riders. Wow! Thanks! Unfortunately, I need to be able to play at GW. I've negotiated with a little, and the chaps suggest the one or two Statuesque Miniature heads that will appear in the army will be fine to play there, but rocking up with whole units of non-GW figures won't be welcome! Such a shame, as I really like lots of other ranges - and those one's you just referenced especially.

When you ask what feel I'm going for with my shades, that's a great question. There's a spectrum in the troops so far;
Cold One Knights > Dark Riders > Shades > Warlocks ("Witches on wolves" - Autarii seers/shamans) > Witch Elves ("Wild women" - primal, frenzied, true to some pre-Naggaroth cult of Khaine)

Of the five units, we have two Druchii and two "wild" Autarii, and the actual shades need to be the interface. I picture them as the dark mirror's reflection of Wood Elves. So - cloaks, hoods, silent, watchers, obtuse, fatalistic, wry, etc. I have some more short fiction/fluff to post as units are completed to bring it to life!

Meanwhile, slowly, slowly... still no proper pictures, but another quick update below. Notes to self on colour (not least now I'll be painting a 10th plastic Cold One, I'm glad I did that above); Zandri dust for spines, highlighted with Ushbati bone, then white, in an ultra thin mix, glaze style. Inked brown at the roots, then a brown/fleshshade upwards. Now adding Zandri dust to the lower claws, and Rhinox hide around the joins with the metal claws, which need undercoating black.
Attachments
More ongoing detail shot at low res, proper pictures to follow.
More ongoing detail shot at low res, proper pictures to follow.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice update so far.
One point to consider. The tongues looks a little bright in the photo's. Maybe a slightly toned down shade would add something.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

@Amboadine - Thanks - you're absolutely right! On Friday they were a nice Screamer Pink / Druchii Violet ink mix, and I tried to highlight them up to Emperor's Children. It was a bad move and they looked silly. I've since pulled them down with a watery Screamer Pink, and they looked ok in real life, though perhaps only as it smoothed out so many issues. The photo highlights they're not done yet! I'm going to hit them with a careful wash of more Screamer Pink 1:3 Druchii Violet, then green/black ink around the gums, before re-highlighting the teeth. With your feedback I'm going to push it a little harder. I'd like much more of a purple note. Thanks again!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I really like your army division (it kinda reminds me of my own, so maybe that's the reason, also it's fascinating to watch as it's being built) If this is your plan for the shades (and it does sound logical to me :) ), what about using some wood elf parts? The new wildwood rangers look maybe a bit high elfy to me, but the right paintjob would probably hide that and they seem to have the right attitude with hoods etc.?

It's a pity about not being able to use non-GW models, but I guess I understand. Using alternative ranges is much easier here in the Czech Republic, where we don't have any proper GW stores.
My painting blog

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

@Rowena - You're right about the divisions - I hadn't thought about that before. I can see the armies evolving into a High/Dark mix in your case, and a Wood/Dark in mine.

The GW thing is a big issue - kind of silly to miss out on so many great models, but then I live 15 min from two different GW stores, and work just 5 min walk from one, 20 min from another - so that's lots of opportunities to play I'd miss out on! A shame, but... I'm kind of cool with it. It just forces a certain creativity with the models that are available in their range, warping them to the purpose I want!

The Wildwood Rangers are super models. Really useful seeing the paint job they did on them - the swirls on the inside of their cloaks is exactly what I'm after in terms of look. Yet, the bare arms don't feel right! I might check out how the kit comes together - maybe they'd be good bodies, and I can use someone else's arms!

UPDATE - Very interested! The arms are separate! Think they just jumped up to the front of the queue for the Autarii scouts. They have a much more pragmatic feel than the HE Shadow Warriors, definitely a better match than them! Thanks again!
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Lucky for us, most GW models are kits that can be mix-and-matched quite easily. Actually, great part of my models are GW even though I don't need them to be so. Using different arms might definitely do the job if you like the bodies.
I really like the Shadow Warrior kit, but I think shades made from them look too much like soldiers, at least to me.

And you're more than welcome, if we converters don't stick togetherm who will? :)
My painting blog

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Rowena wrote:I really like the Shadow Warrior kit, but I think shades made from them look too much like soldiers, at least to me.

I agree - the Shadow Warriors look like they live in a castle/palace doing normal things, before getting suited up for war in their Shadow Warrior uniform. Whereas, I think a decent Shade needs to look like they live it all of the time, sleeping in drifts of leaves, pine needles, hollowed trees and dim caves, behind waterfalls, grim and muddy and bloodied all of the time. To my mind a Shade needs a touch of the primitive, the eternal, the raw, the unbridled, the wild... and the Shadow Warriors just feel too civilised and ornamented. (IMHO!)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

By the way, if you need something even more wild, primitve and eternal, have a look at my own shade conversions. Probably wouldn't fit your shade fluff, but the mandrakes are great models. :)
My painting blog

Trilobite
Trainee Warrior

Post by Trilobite »

Lovely with the detailed description of your bashing!

Where did you find the head, it is very neat, exp. with the bun at the back, more warriorlike than the Hanoi Rocks-look favored by GW at the moment.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

@Trilobite - thanks, I thought the bun was awesome too! The heads were found by Payce - here's the thread http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75366

@Rowena - I remember the Mandrakes now - the bare torsos and wild hair do have a superbly raw feel. For mine I want more clothing for an indigo/purple colour scheme (though, thinking about it maybe tattoos would work). I have the models now, however, and am going to try "hybridising" them with some Corsairs I still have lurking around. Meanwhile, as I idlly look forward to my move from 1,500 to 2,000 I'm thinking about a sorceress in Black Guard bunker - maybe using Beastmen as the Black Guard - so I'm sure they'll be more "wild" injected in due course!
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Whilst I keep painting the Cold Ones, I thought I'd start building the Shades. They seem the quickest next unit to finish, given how long cavalry seems to take me.

This evening I was just planning the conversions, with a single built Wildwood Ranger model and lots of the random half used sprues I've acquired from eBay. I haven't done any trimming, so bear in mind the shoulders won't fit in the examples below - lots of shaving to be done there once I have the unit planned. Nonetheless, some interesting poses seem workable - my favourite combination seems to be the Corsair handbows and the Corsair additional hand weapons in combination. I think a few basic Darkshard double arms with sheathed Cold One / Dark Rider sword will make it in too.

Some examples posted below. I'll start gluing them this weekend.

I'm really, really happy with the Wildwood Rangers as the base model for these. My only concern as I work is I'd have liked to mix in a few female Shades (the female Shade in the Malus books is one of the best characters, IMHO). That said, my 1,500 list has 10 Warlocks (likely using Sisters of the Thorn on Fenrissian wolves, otherwise WE on wolves) and 24 WE, plus some female heads in the COK unit, so it's already pretty egalitarian.
Attachments
My favourite feel so far - think a few poses with the handbow and off hand Corsair weapon will work very well.
My favourite feel so far - think a few poses with the handbow and off hand Corsair weapon will work very well.
Main Darkshard crossbow, I think better with an offhand Corsair weapon.
Main Darkshard crossbow, I think better with an offhand Corsair weapon.
Example with the Darkshard arms.  Fine, but a little "rank and file" perhaps.
Example with the Darkshard arms. Fine, but a little "rank and file" perhaps.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

They look awesome and not even too high-elfy like I was afraid. The first one would be my favourite too, very dynamic, but some variety never hurts. :)
My painting blog

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

As I was travelling this weekend I left the half painted Cold Ones at home and worked on the Shade conversions. As Veysha's warband is significantly Autarii themed, they're going to be an important couple of units. After all the tests earlier in the week, I decided to go for the Wildwood Ranger bodies/heads, with Corsair arms (plus a few CoK sheated swords). You'll recognise one from the "test" series, but I'm really pleased how they're coming along.

Here's the first five, five more to come. Lots of scalpel, file, glass paper and glue deployed, and a lot more tidying to do, but they're exactly as I pictured this unit. Paint job will be chiefly purple/indigo with a few green details. I'm still considering tweaking a few of the Wood Elf details (like the amulets around their necks), but might just let the paint and context handle them. There are a few other units I think I will take from the Wood Elves, so might see which of their emblems I can work into the Autarii "look".

ImageShade conversion ii by FWE Veysha Everkiss, on Flickr

ImageShade conversion v by FWE Veysha Everkiss, on Flickr

ImageShade conversion iii by FWE Veysha Everkiss, on Flickr

ImageShade conversion iv by FWE Veysha Everkiss, on Flickr

ImageShade conversion i by FWE Veysha Everkiss, on Flickr

Finally, although I'm yet to up the photo quality, I hope the new hosting process is giving the detail an initial boost. EDIT - Thanks for everyone's patience as I got it working! Now know which link to take from Flickr.
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

I wonder if you have already painted Veysha Everkiss? Really curious!! :P
Last edited by Teowulff on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.