Witch Elves and Hags attacks

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

earache666
Corsair

Witch Elves and Hags attacks

Post by earache666 »

The stat line for witch elves says they have one attack but with 2 hand weapons am I right in thinking they get 2 attacks for their 1 attack?
If so, does that mean Hags get 4 attacks for their 2 attacks in their stat line?
And then if they're frenzied and with a CoB the witch elves get 4 attacks each, does the Hag get 6????
Help please, I'm trying them out tonight vs Skaven in a 2000pt game.
There is happiness for those who accept their fate
But there is GLORY for those who defy it
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Witch Elves and Hags attacks

Post by Thraundil »

Witch elves get 1 attack + 1 attack for AHW + 1 attack for frenzy = 3 attacks in total.
The unit champion has another attack on her profile, so 4 attacks from her indeed.

If you put them with a cauldron, they still only get 3 attacks in total. But if you cast the cauldron bound spell on them, they become "super frenzied", which means their frenzy grants them 2 additional attacks rather than 1. So a normal WE has 4 attacks and the hag has 5.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Silvershadow
Warrior

Post by Silvershadow »

Having Additional Hand Weapon gives you one more attack only, regardless of how many you have to begin with.
So a standard witch elf would get 3 (1 base, 1 AHW, 1 frenzy) and the Hag would get 4 (2 base, 1 AHW and 1 frenzy).
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
earache666
Corsair

Post by earache666 »

Alright and last two questions before I go and battle.
Whats better for my hydra Fiery Breath or Spitfire?
And the bound spell on my CoB, do I need to use my power dice to cast that?
There is happiness for those who accept their fate
But there is GLORY for those who defy it
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Whats better for my hydra Fiery Breath or Spitfire?

It is argued that Spitfire has its uses, and I'm sure it does, but the Fiery breath can hit up to 35 models with one perfectly placed flame template, hard to compete with that. Fiery Breath is the most commonly seen and there is a reason for that.

And the bound spell on my CoB, do I need to use my power dice to cast that?

Yes, see page 37 of the BRB
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Silvershadow
Warrior

Post by Silvershadow »

Fiery breath certainly has more versatility, it is guaranteed to be S4 and can be used in close combat if so desired (that's often where it gets used for me in fact). Between that, Thunderstomp and the normal attacks most infantry units have every reason to fear the hydra.
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Spit Fire is nearly worthless because you will almost always need a 6 to hit.

The attack only has a range of 8", meaning that most of the time you will need to move in order to get within range. Unless you move within 4" of the enemy, you will need 6 to hit (-1 move, -1 range, -1 multishot) and so will be lucky to get a single hit. Similarly, if you stand and shoot, you will need a 6 to hit (-1 move, -1 range, -1 multishot) unless you happen to be standing and shooting at a unit of Dwarf infantry between 3"-4" way.

Also, since it's not a breath weapon, the Hydra cannot Spit Fire if it Marches, making it hard to even get within the 8" range of the attack and still be eligible to use it.
Truly These are the End Times ...
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Dyvim tvar wrote:Spit Fire is nearly worthless because you will almost always need a 6 to hit.

The attack only has a range of 8", meaning that most of the time you will need to move in order to get within range. Unless you move within 4" of the enemy, you will need 6 to hit (-1 move, -1 range, -1 multishot) and so will be lucky to get a single hit. Similarly, if you stand and shoot, you will need a 6 to hit (-1 move, -1 range, -1 multishot) unless you happen to be standing and shooting at a unit of Dwarf infantry between 3"-4" way.

Also, since it's not a breath weapon, the Hydra cannot Spit Fire if it Marches, making it hard to even get within the 8" range of the attack and still be eligible to use it.

+1!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame