Is the End Times getting you down?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: Is the End Times getting you down?

Post by Haagrum »

T.D. wrote:[I]t's good that someone's keeping the Druchii spirit alive in here, feeding on my anguish, feasting on the blood from my bleeding heart :o_O:

I feel that I've been letting the side down in that respect recently...

...but I can't help it!

This is the end of an era. A beautiful dream has died. The musical world -- ney, the world -- will never be the same again.

I now know how Malekith felt when the fulguration of Asuryan rejected his passing and burned him to his very core :burns:

*sniffles*

Hang in there, T.D. - there was a lady on my train a couple of nights ago who'd only just heard this news from the person on the other end of her phone.

Most of the half-hour train ride involved listening to her statements that she was "utterly devvo" at the outcome, that she couldn't believe they'd kicked Jessica out, and that she was upset at only having just found this out, as she relied on whomever was at the other end for "important K-pop news".

Rest assured, T.D., you do not suffer alone.

Gidean wrote:It is how I felt when Steve Perry left Journey. Yeah I am THAT old.

Wow. And here I thought I was old, having similarly mourned when Crowded House disbanded.
Last edited by Haagrum on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

"Utterly devvo" ...that about describes it !lol!

Tbh I wasn't that surprised. The cracks had been showing for some time, and all bands, from the Beatles to the Bee Gees, have a life cycle.

I was mostly disappointed as SNSD are now unlikely to ever tour to the U.K., which marginally decreases my chances of ever marrying Kim Taeyeon.

For Science, Ms Kim:

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

When Kurt Cobain died I was quite sad for a bit, then I moved on to different bands and songs (while still listening to Nirvana now and then of course).

The same can be said about the End of Times, although I might like the change more than I hate it. We'll see.

As for SNSD... wtf?! :shock: :lol:
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Omnichron wrote:As for SNSD... wtf?! :shock: :lol:

An acquired taste :mrgreen:
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

T.D. wrote:I was mostly disappointed as SNSD are now unlikely to ever tour to the U.K., which marginally decreases my chances of ever marrying Kim Taeyeon.

Dare to dream, T.D. :mrgreen:

Returning to the matter of the End Times: perhaps it's the emotional callus that builds up after years in law enforcement and corporate legal practice, but I'm enjoying the change to the status quo, especially after Storm of Chaos was retconned. I like Archaon a lot more as Orcus on his throne, biding his time and building a truly unstoppable horde, rather than the guy at the front of the charge leading with his chin. Plus, two of my least-favourite characters died, while a few others got some excellent character development.

Bring it on, I say.

(to be fair, they had to retcon the main SOC story's ending - it was utterly pants)
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Haagrum wrote:Returning to the matter of the End Times: perhaps it's the emotional callus that builds up after years in law enforcement and corporate legal practice, but I'm enjoying the change to the status quo, especially after Storm of Chaos was retconned. I like Archaon a lot more as Orcus on his throne, biding his time and building a truly unstoppable horde, rather than the guy at the front of the charge leading with his chin. Plus, two of my least-favourite characters died, while a few others got some excellent character development.

Although I was rather glad when Valten was killed off. I was even faintly amused given the number of models he acquired in the previous few months... ;)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Lordslapnut
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lordslapnut »

It's official, 50% Lord and heroes now added to the rulebook faq, as well as, all wizards get the lore of undeath. Welcome back to hero hammer. :-\
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Lordslapnut wrote:It's official, 50% Lord and heroes now added to the rulebook faq, as well as, all wizards get the lore of undeath. Welcome back to hero hammer. :-\

If this fact is depressing you, choose Orange Caramel! :mrgreen:
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lordslapnut wrote: Welcome back to hero hammer. :-\

Yes and no. Characters are still going to have a hard time dealing with big units. Blow all of your allowance on Lords and you're not going to have much of an army to back it/them up.

That sort of army will struggle, even more so if you play scenarios.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
blackrobe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by blackrobe »

Only the Korean mind can handle personality cults while living a life of triumph and total unrelentless competence you are treading in dangerous waters.

On topic:

the End Times will revitalize Warhammer Fantasy Battles. At least I hope so. 40k is the mean older step-brother who gets all of the parents attention. Fantasy should beat him up and get back in charge. 40k can protect him from bullies at school and give him 20% of his weekly allowance and paper route money.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

blackrobe wrote:Only the Korean mind can handle personality cults while living a life of triumph and total unrelentless competence you are treading in dangerous waters.

!conf!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I was indeed moved by the death of Eltharion, Belenaer and Everchild. I keep wondering how would it hit me if I didn't know from spoilers what is coming. At the moment I am trying to digest all the news coming about End Times: Khaine. I think that for GW standards this story is epic. I might not like some of it, I am deeply concerned what it means for the game itself when all parts are released and 9th edition shows up (if at all). But I can't wait to read it all about Elves. And I absolutely love some of the artwork they have presented in all 3 books released so far. As somebody has said elsewhere, I want big posters with these battle scenes!

It builds up as a huge cataclysm for sure. Melekith left Naggaroth completely, that has never happened before. Not much will be left after the conflict on Ulthuan ends. They say many heroes are about to die too. Many of them have perished already.

It will be very hard to thread the path of an outcast after that. :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: I might not like some of it, I am deeply concerned what it means for the game itself when all parts are released and 9th edition shows up (if at all).

I know what you mean. If they end the Druchii then my fluff character is stealing a Black Ark and going AWOL as an independent pirate reaver and scourge of all Ulthuan Elves :twisted:

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: It will be very hard to thread the path of an outcast after that. :)

Or will it? ;)
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

T.D. wrote:If they end the Druchii then my fluff character is stealing a Black Ark and going AWOL as an independent pirate reaver and scourge of all Ulthuan Elves :twisted:

Cool - if you ever sail around the far western edge of Naggaroth, you'll find me fluffing-out some citadel-port that will gladly process your plunder for you, at a fair rate of commission of course.
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

I've tried to avoid rumours and spoilers, but hubby spewed out some rumours today about the Elves that I am feeling pretty tearful about. It's nuts, I mean it's a campaign, and these are rumours. I guess it just shows how dear Warhammer is to me. I'm panicking a bit! !lol!

There was mention of the Land of Chill being destroyed good and proper, and half of Ulthuan. I won't go on about who the rumours say get killed, but I'm stunned to be honest. The rivalry between the Asur and the Druchii was something I have always loved about Warhammer, and I am worried about what will be left -if- this rivalry is ended.

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling at all about the End Times. I was excited at first with the reboot and fresh energy put into Warhammer. But if they're just going to wreck it, I wish they'd just left it alone and instead just work on the rulebooks a bit and update a few of the figures.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

flatworldsedge wrote:Cool - if you ever sail around the far western edge of Naggaroth, you'll find me fluffing-out some citadel-port that will gladly process your plunder for you, at a fair rate of commission of course.

Good to hear 8) We shall throw off the yoke of the evil GW and begin a fluff insurrection of awesome!!!

Nightcall wrote:I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling at all about the End Times. I was excited at first with the reboot and fresh energy put into Warhammer. But if they're just going to wreck it, I wish they'd just left it alone and instead just work on the rulebooks a bit and update a few of the figures.

I share your concern. I'm enjoying the shake up of the End Times, but I'm not going to accept the end of the Druchii as a distinct faction if that indeed comes to pass.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

T.D. wrote:
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: It will be very hard to thread the path of an outcast after that. :)

Or will it? ;)

I think so :) When everything is ruins and some shaky new world order is going to be established, old divisions are gone, old allegations forgotten.

Not to mention we still don't know who is going to survive, how ET is going to end (i.e. Archaon was not featured yet) and what does it all mean for the game of Warhammer.

While excited about new stories and dramatic events to unfold I have found out my motivation to do anything related to warhammer actually decreased. Hm.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Nightcall wrote:...I am feeling pretty tearful about... I'm panicking a bit! !lol! The rivalry between the Asur and the Druchii was something I have always loved about Warhammer, and I am worried about what will be left -if- this rivalry is ended.... I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling at all about the End Times. I was excited at first with the reboot and fresh energy put into Warhammer. But if they're just going to wreck it, I wish they'd just left it alone and instead just work on the rulebooks a bit and update a few of the figures.

I hear ya! Well said! Good to know there's another sensible person out there with fingers crossed they don't do something maddeningly wrong!

T.D. wrote:Image
We shall throw off the yoke of the evil GW and begin a fluff insurrection of awesome!!!

Awesome image, sir. Love it. I'll dig out my Babyvox CD's for when your Black Ark come to town.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Those girls in Orange Caramel just need a couple of hand weapons and it would be enough to work any crowd into a frenzy!

End of times is a great opportunity to move the story forward, I'm looking forward to what ever it brings - the story needs something fresh.
GeoffDiGeoff
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Completely off the topic... but couldn't help but look up SNSD. I now feel dirty.... so thank you :D
BabyMetal are superior in all but looks ;)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Haha oh poor Dark Elf players who based their whole armies with snow.. while there might be no Naggaroth left
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:While excited about new stories and dramatic events to unfold I have found out my motivation to do anything related to warhammer actually decreased. Hm.

I feel you. If GW kill off my independent Dark Elves there will be hell to pay !mad!

Cultofkhaine wrote:Those girls in Orange Caramel just need a couple of hand weapons and it would be enough to work any crowd into a frenzy!

This new unification of the Elves is getting me so down that even Orange Caramel cannot get me out of it :cry:

But thankfully the girls of Orange Caramel -- their cute concept -- are also part of another group -- After School -- with a sexy concept :D

Time to up the dose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0IKUhydr_8

*Pure Happiness*

GeoffDiGeoff wrote:Completely off the topic... but couldn't help but look up SNSD. I now feel dirty.... so thank you :D

The director of the Oh! video needs to go to jail. And you're welcome.

Lord Drakon wrote:Haha oh poor Dark Elf players who based their whole armies with snow.. while there might be no Naggaroth left

There will always be a Naggaroth. It lives within our black hearts!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

What do you mean rebase all snow bases? Winter is not coming? !eek! !lol!

In terms of army themes I am sure our rich imagination can pull out the better twist than that already unfolding in End Times. I am more worried about the game mechanics. They introduced 50% character allowance and everybody was ok with it and said it is only ET story. But one sneaky FAQ and it is in the core rules. So what stops GW from doing it again and allowing combined armies for your regular warhammer, then making winds of magic 4d6 and saying each wizard is a loremaster? And we haven't done yet as there are 2(?) more ET books coming.

I think the whole process of witnessing the changes taking place but not seeing the big picture yet makes me both excited and anxious. Each time new edition was released it was single event, so to speak. We got new rules and all was clear. True, not all army books were released, many armies had to use their very old rules across editions.

But at least you knew the core rule set was there and how it looked like. Now the information is revealed bit by bit and we still have no idea what 9th edition is going to be look like and when (if at all!) is it going to be released.

At least we will have something to read to kill time :twisted:
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:...witnessing the changes taking place but not seeing the big picture yet makes me both excited and anxious.

Absolutely - for those of us modelling/painting our army at the moment it's a nightmare! My budget isn't vast and I want a consistent backstory/fluff for the longer term.

If we can take Wood Elf units, then my Autarii/Shades army is going to look very different. I love the idea of dark takes on Treemen, Witch Elf/Dryad conversions (Raging Heroes Mantis Models), etc. Maybe I can do some of those as proxies, but not everything. If combined stats for ridden monsters are coming and 50% Lord spend are here to stay, then my modelling decisions for my general will be different. I'm concerned about making any of those decisions before things are set in stone.

I hope GW aren't hoping we'll all buy Wood/H*gh Elf models for ET, then they change the rules in 9th so they're separate again (hoping we'll all start second armies!) and we end up with lots of "counts as", wrecked fluff, etc. Fortunately I have enough work converting/painting what I have in hand (finish Veysha, BSB, 8xCold Ones, 10xShades, Sorceress on IoB Griffin and 25xWitch Elves). All the stress means at the moment is (i) I'm winding myself up (ii) whinging on here! and (iii) not buying any GW models whilst I wait to see what goes on! If only they knew it was costing them money, it might get sorted!

Still dropping into the store later to pre-order the wretched thing, of course... so...
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Witch Elves and Swordmasters living together...mass hysteria. The end of the World!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk