Druchii.net UB Tournament 15 First Round Draw

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Druchii.net UB Tournament 15 First Round Draw

Post by Thraundil »

Marchosias wrote:So, our match has been fought out successfully in a good spirit. I hope there will be a report in short order; for now I will reveal that the game was basically over by turn 3. :)

Did you win? :P
Also... I somehow was sure your game was tonight and not this morning! A shame to have missed it. If nothing else, then to snoop on your tactics :p
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thraundil wrote:
Did you win? :P
Also... I somehow was sure your game was tonight and not this morning! A shame to have missed it. If nothing else, then to snoop on your tactics :p

I thought it was this evening too. Was planning to watch.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Ah, guys, sorry for that! I thought that writing in digital time would prevent any confusion. Next time, I will try to remember to add those silly "am"/"pm" to the time just to be sure. :)

@ Thraundil: Sure, espionage is a huge part of this tournament. :D But my main tactics is very simple: Thinking so long that my opponent falls asleep. Should we ever play each other, bring a book. Or two just to be sure. :D

Too bad I will be most likely watch neither tomorrow nor on sunday. I am quite curious about both of the matches.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I had an honor to watch that game live and I really enjoyed the game! Thanks to both players, Marky and Marchosias for letting me watch their battle! I am looking forward to reading the report and I will try to comment on it then.

Good luck to the other participants!
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Report is online on my blog. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

So, Watz, Daeron and me are in Skype and on Universalbattle right now. Daeron and Watz will start playing their round 1 in some minutes and we would like to invite everyone who is interested to watch the game :).
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cihan wrote:So, Watz, Daeron and me are in Skype and on Universalbattle right now. Daeron and Watz will start playing their round 1 in some minutes and we would like to invite everyone who is interested to watch the game :).

Just logging on to watch :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Dont forget the exciting Thraundil vs Knighted game tonight, at 1900 hours (7 PM central EU ;) )
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

also match Killerk – Chaos vs ChrispyC – HE will be played today. Time .... when ChrispyC lets me know.
Also known as Kanadian
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Game scheduled at 7-8ish GMT
Also known as Kanadian
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

Time zones are hard. Especially when all my clocks changed an hour at 2AM this morning.

I'll see my friend at 7PM CET
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Thraundil vs Knighted: game code is druchii
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thraundil wrote:Thraundil vs Knighted: game code is druchii

Great looking forward to dropping in.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

my game got postponed :/
Also known as Kanadian
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Thraundil vs Knighted ended 20-0 after a wild array of exceptionally retarded dice rolls. Will post a little bit more maybe tomorrow. We forgot to take screenshots most of the time, but I think I at least have the screen after turn 1.

Knighted gets a sportsmanship vote from here! He took the wood elf arrows to the chest like a true sir.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

Thraundil and I had a great game. He's a rock solid player.

I look forward to recounting some of the insane statistical analysis from our match. He got top of one and killed all 12 warlocks with a single volley from 17 Waywatchers...who were hitting on 4s. It was funny, because he had popped hail of doom arrow, but it wasn't even necessary. It ended up not doing any wounds, because the entire unit was already dead.

...and AFTER that, I started to have :burns: ...problems. I mean, I've played enough games to know what it's like to be kicked in the nuts by dice, but ...ugh. Don't take the following as complaining - take it as fricking hilarious. Because, toward the middle, it was. Then it kinda got sad again because of the grind, but for awhile there, it was just funny.

All of the critical rolls went against me, but those weren't what hurt me most...it was the little things like having my only remaining fleeing dark rider die to random dangerous terrain before he could run off the board. My peg master failing a 50% 19 inch charge on 4 WRs....then rolling a big enough fail to carry him into a forest where he failed his Dangerous...and then his 4++. My General failing his last turn 6 fear check against some Wild Riders in his flank on boxcars, getting absolutely hosed by said dark riders, then the rest of the unit failing their break check on boxcars.... By the end, my army was just like, "bro, frig this man. We didn't sign up for this."

I'd love Thraundil to give his take on things, but I know we had the following happen:

1) The Waywatcher/Warlock shots. When I get to work, I'm going to run the math on 34 shots having 24+ hits on 4s followed by getting 18+ wounds on 4s from those hits...then me failing at least 12 4++s out of the wounds. That has to be some small ass number. I even allocated out 4 of the hits to pegs. I think the moon might have a better chance of crashing into the sun tomorrow than those rolls happening again.

2) Odds of rolling 1,1,1,1,1,6 for short-range Dwellers with opponent scroll-less and out of dispel dice.

3) Finally getting dwellers off on the WWs (and the only time I didn't have soul blight on them), and both characters passing their checks.

4) Hitting 12/14 trueflight shots ...with at least one unit a turn.
Last edited by Knighted on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Holy crap, guys! I missed that game unfortunately (time difference I am afraid didn't help here) as it looked like a very interesting match up but boy, these things that happened :shock: If only these rolls transferred into some lottery tickets! :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Will also post some number crunches later. One thing though; the 12 warlocks who died in a single turn was part-ways due to a final transmutation nicking 6 of them, then the 18 WW's doing the other 6. Hail of Doom arrow was indeed completely wasted :P

But yeah it was... I mean, there was a single dice round in the magic phase that went against me, everything else was just... Wow. Will post a big summary later with as many screenshots as we managed to save between the two of us. I am 100% satisfied with the game I played, it was super tight and I think I would do only very few things differently. By and large, I had the dice on my side, and on those few super-critical rolls, that remained to be true. There were two instances where the game could have turned upside down but didnt - the failed dwellers rolling 5 1's, and the succesfull dwellers where I passed with both my metal mage and my BSB.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Watz vs Daeron concluded with a solid 20-0 victory for Watz. A solid game by Watz and some silly mistakes on my end forced me to shake my opponent's hand by the end of his turn 4. It was a fun game and a very kind opponent though :D It made for a very enjoyable experience, and one I can learn a lot from. I had a plan that could have worked, but my execution wasn't as good as his. Add in a few mistakes on my part and I was out of fighting options earlier than expected. :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

In fact a small amendment! The unit which I was going to put on the scenario marker on turn 6 did not have a banner (I somehow forgot the banner detail). So I guess our game actually ended 19-0.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

A battle recap is up on my battle log, with a few screenshots. We unfortunately (well me, mostly!) forgot to take screens after every turn, but it should be decently clear whats going on.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73668&p=920936#p920936

Few random stats:
Odds of casting dwellers below (18+ and lvl 4) with 6 dice is about 96%. Odds of rolling 5 1's out of 6 dice (if we do not care which face the 6th dice shows) is quite low: about 0,07% I think.

As for my first round of shooting killing all warlocks: after some consideration, its not that wild after I had that final transmutation go off. 36 shots on 4+ gives 18 hits on average, 9 wounds, which is 5,5 casualties. Considering hail of doom arrow was fired too, I think it adds up. The big difference maker was not the shooting, but the magic.
I do however agree the actual dice roll in the game waas ridiculous. But on average, the end result should have been mostly the same.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

So, I have a question for everyone.

All but one game has now been completed, so should we just press on with the next round list submissions and open up the registration for anyone else who may want to join in this coming weekend, or would people prefer to wait a couple of weeks so the next round falls into April.

I am happy either way, but would like some input from those involved as all the matches were completed far quicker than I imagined.

Time lines in both scenarios;

Original timings.
1st round deadline 20th March
List submission for round 2 - 21st to 25th March
2nd round draw - 26th March

Potential timings (assuming last match is complete this week)
List submission for round 2 - 14th to 18th March
2nd round draw - 19th March

Let me know what you would prefer.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

More warhammer is good! The sooner this "more warhammer" concept is realised must therefore be the best option.

But, I mean... If others would rather wait, thats cool too.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marky
Trainee Warrior

Post by Marky »

I'd like to start the next round a little earlier than originally planned but would keep the period +- the same (so always giving all players a month / 3 weeks)
A question, are we allowed to change our list? (I'd like to make some minor tweakings)

Marky
2200 points of drucchi