No comp tournament list 3000 points

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

zen
Cold One Knight

No comp tournament list 3000 points

Post by zen »

Hi

I'm going to a no comp, take anything you want I.e. Battlescrolls, forgeworld etc. tournament at the end of the month. It's 3000 points and if you hit the magic number you can use the grand army rules. So there will potentially be armies with KFA and 3 tanks, 4 Terrorgheists, 4 Organ Guns etc. All games will be Battleline. I've come up with the below.

Malekith, the Eternity King 1,000
Archmage: Book of Hoeth; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Death; Elven Steed 295

Master: Cloak of Twilight; heavy armour; great weapon; Sea Dragon cloak; shield; Dark Pegasus 186
Noble: Banner of the World Dragon; lance; heavy armour; shield; Battle Standard; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding) 172
Sorceress: Dispel Scroll; Lore of Metal; Dark Steed 115

30 Black Ark Corsairs: repeater handbows; Reaver (brace of repeater handbows); musician; standard bearer (Scarecrow Banner) 369
16 Silver Helms: shields; High Helm; musician; standard bearer 398

Frostheart Phoenix 240
9 Doomfire Warlocks 225

3,000 points

High elf stuff goes with the Silver Helms, metal Mage goes in the Warlocks, and the corsairs get Malky moved about for Shooty fun and then stand and shoot fun.

I would like to break the warlocks up into 2 groups, but can't quite manage it. Death magic on the book Mage, because the lore attribute is uncomped.

What do you think?
Anything but a one... It's a one!

But I've got a reroll... OK that's a one too!!
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: No comp tournament list 3000 points

Post by direweasel »

3k points and only one block of infantry, and it's core infantry at that? And no bolt throwers?

Good luck with that.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
zen
Cold One Knight

Post by zen »

I've never played a tournament at 3000 points before, but did play one at 2600 recently. I didn't see many infantry blocks then.

Fade
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fade »

I agree with Direweasel that you have too little (and weak) infantry blocks.
Id say from 2000pts surely you have 2 decent infantry blocks.
Corsairs are good, but still weaker then Witchelves (but im not sure how competitive you want it to be)
I think because of the grand army rule you could potentially play up to 8(!) bolt throwers,
maybe thats a bit too much but 2-4 might be nice to have some more shooting power.
And you have room in your special.

Just thinking out loud what i would change;

Drop the Archmage (you already have Malekith who is a lev5 wizard and the Warlocks have death magic too)
Drop the Corsairs
Split the Silverhelms (2x 5)
Add Witchelves (big block 30+ with hag+cauldron, or a small unit of 14 without cauldron)
Add Glade Gaurd with trueflight arrows (to have some more shooting and fill out your core if needed)
Add Executioners (or White Lions) x21+ (your second infantry block, but special and with more killing power)
Put the Noble in the Executioners (remove steed)
Split the Warlocks (2x 5)
Add bolt throwers if you have points too spare.
Keep the rest

I imagine you put Malekith in your block of Executioners and use the teleportation ability to put them in someone's face very fast ;)
Good shooting, good magic
You can tarpit any treats with your silverhelms and frostheart phoenix (and then flank with your warlocks possibly)

Sorry its not very point specific, but i hope its usefull
Goodluck on your tournament anyway! :)
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Incarnate of Life Alarielle helps big blocks a lot with regen and a ward plus healing characters; I've found I like a block of Swordmasters with a hag giving them frenzy for 3 WS6 Strength 5 attacks a piece, especially if Malekith teleports them across the table at speed.

Lots of Trueflight MSU spam running around the back of your army murdering his soft and squishy is always a go; through your unit, through his unit, in hard cover, at long range, nothing but 3's.

Waywatchers for heavy armour cav and the like. Warhawks can screen Malekith, if he needs it.

Small packs of wardancers are good speed bumps with their 3++ dance, say a two wide, three deep dart.

A frosty and bolt throwers to flavour! Yum.

I'm quite inexperienced with this edition but that's what I've been finding I have success with.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
zen
Cold One Knight

Post by zen »

Thank you for your replies. I think you're both a bit off with the points you raise, but they are interesting all the same.

I came joint first, losing out on VPs scored tie break. I could have easily won if I had been a bit more aggressive in my last two games, but previous games had taught me to be a bit more cautious with Malekith. Unfortunately I didn't need to be in these two games.

Deplayer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deplayer »

I know the tournament is over, but It figured I'd throw my experience in for the community at large.

I have been mopping up my group with a 3000 pt eternity kings list. Here is the broad list:
Malekith

Had on cauldron

Whatever else you feel like for heroes.

10 silver helms
24 witch elves
Whaever else you feel like for core

35 executioners
10 cold one knights
Whatever else you want for special

5 warlocks
5 sisters of the Thorn
Whatever else you feel like.

The reason I have added the "whatever else you feel like" entries is because it doesent matter what you bring, the entries I listed have been tabling folks. So here is the battle plan:
Turn one: March everything forward. Fast cav does their 12 inch scout move the marches to flanks of the army. One heavy cav unit will threaten an flank and the other will either quickly March away to the center to threaten his center line, or maneuver to slow up a flank by possitioning to charge next turn after his movement. Whatever the cav does it's largely a distraction. Use malekith's shadow ability to march the executioners about 10 inches away from his line in a manner to where if they are charged they only receive it in the front. They will slaughter anything to the front, just keep them from getting flanked and your good. Also make sure Malekith is close enough that they get the rerolls. Then in the magic phase, EOT shadow teleport the witch elves and cauldron 1 inch behind his lines set up for a rear charge. In his magic and shooting whatever else you feel like. It won't matter. Flesh to stone the executioners if it makes you feel better and you can get it through from the sisters of thorn. On his turn he should realize he is screwed. He can reform to face the witch elves, and then he gets charged in the back by executioners and mally and possibly cav. He can charge your eexecutioners and hope he is still there on the next turn ( he won't be, not much can stand up to 43 strength 6 killing blow attacks, yeah forgot to mention earlier to put tullaris or brew hag here). But then witch elves will rear charge and destroy whatever they hit. Support whichever combat with mally, and heavy cav on your turn. Most of the time they try to charge the executioners and screen the witch elves and redirect them. This is fine, murder whatever he puts in front of them and overrun into something else or just support the executioners while they eviserate whatever they are fighting with life, beasts, dark, and death magic from the warlocks, sisters of the thorn and mally of course for one turn while the sisters do their thing. By the end your your second turn his line will be smashed and his units will be scrambling to move to positions where they can support each other which will take them at least 2 turns. You will have cute the heart out of his army by then and if y position them right "other" stuff in your army, karibdyss, chariots, whatever high or wood elf stuff you bring, will be hitting his units and making it impossible for him to move his army. Then all you have to do is mop up with mally, the witches and executioners once they break their units bottom of turn 2 at the latest. A good player will make you work for the table. A bad one will be out of models by the end of turn 4.
Deplayer
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deplayer »

I know the tournament is over, but It figured I'd throw my experience in for the community at large.

I have been mopping up my group with a 3000 pt eternity kings list. Here is the broad list:
Malekith

Hag on cauldron

Whatever else you feel like for heroes.

10 silver helms
24 witch elves
Whaever else you feel like for core

35 executioners
10 cold one knights
Whatever else you want for special

5 warlocks
5 sisters of the Thorn
Whatever else you feel like.

The reason I have added the "whatever else you feel like" entries is because it doesent matter what you bring, the entries I listed have been tabling folks. So here is the battle plan:
Turn one: March everything forward. Fast cav does their 12 inch scout move the marches to flanks of the army. One heavy cav unit will threaten a flank and the other will either quickly March away to the center to threaten his center line, or maneuver to slow up a flank by possitionion to charge next turn after his movement. Whatever the cav does it's largely a distraction. Use malekith's shadow ability to march the executioners about 10 inches away from his line in a manner to where if they are charged they only receive it in the front. They will slaughter anything to the front, just keep them from getting flanked and your good. Also make sure Malekith is close enough that they get the rerolls. Then in the magic phase, EOT shadow teleport the witch elves and cauldron 1 inch behind his lines set up for a rear charge. In the magic and shooting phase shoot or cast whatever else you feel like. It won't matter. Flesh to stone the executioners if it makes you feel better and you can get it through from the sisters of thorn. On his turn he should realize he is screwed. He can reform to face the witch elves, and then he gets charged in the back by executioners and mally and possibly cav. He can charge your eexecutioners and hope he is still there on the next turn ( he won't be, not much can stand up to 43 strength 6 killing blow attacks, yeah forgot to mention earlier to put tullaris or brew hag here). But then witch elves will rear charge and destroy whatever they hit. Support whichever combat with mally, and heavy cav on your turn. Most of the time they try to charge the executioners and screen the witch elves and redirect them. This is fine, murder whatever he puts in front of them and overrun into something else or just support the executioners while they eviserate whatever they are fighting with life, beasts, dark, and death magic from the warlocks, sisters of the thorn and mally of course for one turn while the witch elves do their thing. By the end your your second turn his line will be smashed and his units will be scrambling to move to positions where they can support each other which will take them at least 2 turns. You will have cut the heart out of his army by then and if you position them right, the "other" stuff in your army, (karibdyss, chariots, whatever high or wood elf stuff you bring,) will be hitting his units and making it impossible for him to move his army. Then all you have to do is mop up with mally, the witches and executioners once they break their units bottom of turn 2 at the latest. A good player will make you work for the table. A bad one will be out of models by the end of turn 4.