All shooting list viability

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

All shooting list viability

Post by Executioner_of_khaine »

Wondering what an all shooting list would do in a tournament scene. Strength 3 isn't all that great, although armor piercing does help. I can see Bolt throwers, crossbows galore, shades and Dark Riders all providing tons of shots. To me though xbows get a lot of penalties and I have my doubts of the viability.

3 questions...
Can a list like this do well in a tournament?
What magic Lore would be best suited to complement?
Shadestar viable?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: All shooting list viability

Post by Thraundil »

1. Yes, an all out shooter list can definitely work in a tournament setting. It will have HUGE problems with a few specific enemies, namely all-shooting dwarves, wood elves and possibly tomb kings. Be mindful of this.

2. Lore of shadow to lower the toughness of opponents. Works super well in combination with warlocks. Or lore of metal to really make the armour piercing work its magic: put a plague of rust on a 1+ unit, and they sit on 3+ save suddenly. Wow! Metal is the better stand-alone lore, as shadow with no warlock support only really has the withering that is a must-stop...

3. Shadestar is very viable. Especially if you include Hellebron into it, to make it untouchable in close combat - otherwise flying heroes could be an issue.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

Hmmmmm......Hellbron, hadn't thought of that. She would even make a Daemon Prince think twice about charging her unit. is deploying an issue in order to get characters in the unit?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Wondering what an all shooting list would do in a tournament scene.

Tongue in cheek response: Make for a miserable occasion where your opponent feels nostalgic for the good old days when he got to play against shooting dwarf and wood elf armies, or quite frankly, to watch paint drying, because that was more fun?

Can a list like this do well in a tournament?

More serious response: basically: no. Your shooting is too weak and your magic too unreliable (especially now that we've lost the ability to throw as many dice as we want at a spell and the sacrificial dagger has been reduced in potency) for it to work with anything near enough consistency. Run up against a Warriors of Chaos Army with tons of Chaos Knights and Warriors, fail to cast your necessary spells for a few rounds, and watch your crossbow bolts bounce off his forces as they steamroll across the board and through your paper mache crossbowmen. Game over.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

This is where Hellebron solves stuff. 10 chaos knights that charge into your shade bunker will be all but annihilated before they even get a chance to strike.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

in short
it is viable, you need shadow magic, there are better builds for singles.
I played 14 shades with witchbrew, it was good. characters start in WE, make sure that they do not fail witchbrew frenzy check.
list is very good against vampires and daemons. flyers, especially DE pegs and chaos can easily kill you. even hellebron cannot kill a 3++ eye of tzeench chaos lord if he has a friendly DP with flaiming breath, who kills all shades.
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

I am kinda thinking Dark Riders for core, Shades and harpies to fill special after bolt throwers and maybe a Medusa or 2 to shoot sslow initiative monsters.

Just think it will all revolve around getting Hellebron in the shades with the BSB and keep the Medusa (s) nearby.
Probably need a few small units of xbows to start Hellebron and Bsb in. And probably need a lvl 4 as well, maybe on a dark steed? Would like just 1 unit of xbows, but think it will telegraph character location too much.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

If you have harpies, it's not an all shooting army.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

direweasel wrote:If you have harpies, it's not an all shooting army.

Touche' ....Hellebron doesn't shoot either, but something is going to get caught eventually and fall apart. Harpies are trash to slow em down a tad, and Hellebron can beat face if they catch her unit.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

BTW: you dont have to deploy the Shades as Scouts. you can also deploy them like normal
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:BTW: you dont have to deploy the Shades as Scouts. you can also deploy them like normal

page 79 of BRB does not agree with you.
scouts are set up after all other non scout units from both armies have been deployed
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

So it does. my apoligies. from mind i remembered it saying something along the lines that that May be deployed that way
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

You can choose not to deploy them in forward areas, but they do have to be set up after non scouts.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360