[PLOG] Cult of Khaine

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG] Cult of Khaine

Post by cultofkhaine »

I'm considering a block of 40 Dreadspears for my corsair army and have a tone of the old warriors kicking about. I'm not entirely happy with the old chainmail legs and was thinking of a simple leg swap would perhaps make them look more dynamic.

What does everyone think, should I take the plunge and buy 40 new legs or stick with the standard ones?

A test model below.
Attachments
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Just me, but the shield and those particular legs seem at odds with each other. The shield says professional soldier and the legs say rabble militia a bit... maybe if the legs had some light armour strips, maybe sea dragon skin strips, or if the shield looked a bit more battered.

But that's just my opinion and you're far more experience and expertise than I so I would say trust your judgement more than mine.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

I know I could be heretic, but I think glade guard legs could be fine, in order to be more dynamic
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What about something like this for the legs? or should I just go with the standard warrior ones and be done with it?

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I like these legs and the dynamism of the model. It seems to me light-armoured, but lightfooted, which can be good. I see no problem with the shield myself.
Shadow warrior legs look great as well and would provide more armour, but it all depends on whether you don't mind having HE armour alongside dark elf chainmail. (I personally try to avoid both, so I tend to notice these things. :D )
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Both the Corsair legs and the Shadow Warrior legs look good options IMO.

The existing conversion to me looks like leather boots, long johns and a breastplate. Armoured, yet maneuverable!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

If you're going to lose the skirts and go for a more dynamic spearman, than consider going to a more gladiator style of buckler shield. Just looks weird having them sprinting forwards with tower shields.
If you have them the spear/buckler combo you could even include some nets to amp up your corsair theme, and also add to the gladiator style of dynamic posing you seem to like.
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

:o_O: ahhh!

Those shadow warrior legs look really good but its going to cost me 80 bucks for 40 of them !eek!

I could fill in the plate mail and make them have chainmail easy enough - the purist in me is now saying just stick with the standard warrior legs and save the $

!conf! to many decisions to make
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

I've used Kabalite legs to add dynamism.

Another option ;)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Jvh792 wrote:If you're going to lose the skirts and go for a more dynamic spearman, than consider going to a more gladiator style of buckler shield. Just looks weird having them sprinting forwards with tower shields.
If you have them the spear/buckler combo you could even include some nets to amp up your corsair theme, and also add to the gladiator style of dynamic posing you seem to like.

I quite like this idea. :) But really, the existing conversion is great, especially if it's a corsair army (I don't know how it's possible I missed that on my first reading) - they would need to be maneuverable if they might have to run from their ships, mail skirts would make that impossible.

ETA: I hope you don't go for the standard option, this looks so much better, at least in my opinion. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Siilar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Siilar »

The corsair legs look kinda weird on their own, maybe adding a loincloth at the front and back would fill that gap.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Siilar that's what I was thinking

Ok in a moment of weakness I have ordered 40 Shadow warrior legs with the aim of converting the plate to chainmail. I think I will get the best of both worlds here with them still looking armoured enough to look like warriors but giving them the movement I am chasing for the corsair theme.

Back to painting more corsairs for this months challenge while I wait a month for the postage - thanks all for your input it has been most helpful.
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Would perhaps it be feasible to give them a salvaged and scavenged theme as corsair spears? So they are stealing gear from their victims, their armour, their shields, a helm or two, etc? They've yet to reach the status as full corsairs so they're pillaging what they can when they can?

So the armour is the result of ganking some poor unfortunate Aesanar and grabbing their stuff; the lords get the jewels and baubles and the commoners get the left overs.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Cultofkhaine wrote:@Siilar that's what I was thinking

Ok in a moment of weakness

I get them all the time. As a consequence my painting pile is huge! :-)
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

I can't wait to see this unit take shape. One of my first unit conversions was to make great 'hammerers' to act as greatswords for my empire. I used Knights of the White wolves cloaks, heads and arms with state troop bodies, the results are okay but I wanted to use the greatsword bodies but couldn't bring myself to double the unit cost. I kind of wish I did now and I think if you know there is a more suitable part ( that is more expensive) you should probably bite the bullet and get it.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Some updates - my work for the May Invasion.

I just received the bits for my 40 Dreadspears, this month I am working on painting another 20 Corsairs and assembling the Dreadspears.

Black Ark Corsairs with Handbows

Shades

Lokhir Fellhart

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Very nice :)

Another impressive monthly batch!
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Great update, especially like that banner.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

My legs arrived the other day for my 40 block of spearmen (pictured below).

I went with these legs because I think they look more dynamic and in keeping with the Corsair army I'm building.

Originally I was thinking that I would greenstuff chainmail over the high elf plate, but my greenstuff skills are very basic.

Do you think I would get away just painting the plate the same colour as my Corsair Sea Dragon cloaks and make it look like a scale mail or do I need to bit the bullet and greenstuff the chainmail on all 40?

I was thinking to do a test model, but I have exactly 40 and if I stuff it I can't go back :D
Attachments
87-18C.jpg
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

A lot of people who are using Shadow Warrior bits in their Wood Elf armies are just painting the scale armour up as though it were leather lamellar armour and it looks just fine, quite nice actually. I don't see why it would be any different for Corsairs, probably look really cool considering the great colours and detail you put in to your cloaks, I say go with that, would be unique and interesting.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

My 3rd ed. minis say scale mail looks good on Dark Elves.

The chainmail/scales duality is a fluff which I don't follow (you could even do them as mini Hydra/Sea Dragon scales from a fluff perspective :P).
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I have gone with scale mail - will paint all the plates in a similar colour to the Corsair Sea Cloaks.

Have just finished assembling the block - have got one unit to paint before I get on to these and get some paint on them.
Attachments
Dark Elf Dreadspear Horde.JPG
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

They look awesome, the lighter armour really works. I can't wait to see them painted.
My painting blog

Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Love the effect, just had an idea looking at them though, what if the spears were modelled to look more like gaffs and hooks that would be used on board a ship? I'm thinking of the dark eldar spears they use on the ravenger kit I think? Just a thought, they're looking great!

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Great idea Makiwara , the hook idea sounds brilliant, I wish I had thought of that earlier. I was initially thinking of using the warrior standard as spears (had about 30 , was slightly short in my bits box)

Im happy with how they are now - just keen to get some paint on them.