Dealing with sisters and frosties

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Michael189
Slave (off the Altar)

Dealing with sisters and frosties

Post by Michael189 »

Any tips for dealing with the Sisters of Avelorn and the Frost phoenix. The sister's shooting is murderous. The phoenix is a major pain in the....
I understand that I need to engage the sisters ASAP to negate their shooting. Getting there is not an easy task. Bolt throwers are always an option against the phoenix. Always happy to hear any other possibilities.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Dealing with sisters and frosties

Post by Dalamar »

Sisters shooting is murderous that's true. But they also crumble fast. You don't need to engage them, hell often trying to engage them equals suicide between the turns they shoot you and stand and shoot. But, a well placed magic missile or a salvo from a reaper really puts considerable hurt on them.

As for the phoenix, that's a tougher nut to crack. We have a couple options. The easiest one is to fire single bolts at it and hope for the best. It may be T6 but it's really not the toughest of beasties, put 2 or 3 wounds on it and it is very likely to die if it charges anything. With only 4 attacks it's also prone to the rubber lance (beak?) syndrome. You can deny it its thunderstomp by charging with a pegmaster. Good armor save will see you through, you may even put a wound or two on it and with a charge + maybe a flank or rear you stand a good chance at breaking the bird. One other option is Witch Elves, but they are rather at the mercy of the phoenix choosing to attack them, or attacking something nearby and getting stuck.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Frosty can become an even bigger pain if he runs a life sorc nearby healing it - meaning you essentially have to take it down in one turn. If you are building your list to cater versus High Elves then run a dreadlord with cloak of twilight and chillblade on a dark pegasus - he can take out the frostheart on his own. If he is running a deathstar or mini-deathstar of white lions or phoenix gaurd, a unit of witch elves with cauldron should do the job. As Dalamar said, against sisters some balistic shooting or a magic missle should weaken them enough to be manageable / not put out the same kind of hurt.

If you are not building you list specifically versus HE, then it all depends on what tools you have in your toolbox. I am facing 2k HEs this weekend with a non-catered MMU/MSU list with 2x 10 Witch Elves, 1x 10 crossbowers, 2x 5 dark riders, 2x 6 COK, a hydra, 2x RBT, 1x 5 Warlocks, a peg master with the cloak and a lvl 4 of death. My opponent usually runs a deathstar of Phoenix Gaurd (with lvl 4 life), a Frostheart and a smallish unit of sisters. My plan is to delay the pheonix gaurd with my fast cav and throw away crossbowers and to fight them last - combo charging after mopping up the rest of his army. I have to rely on death magic or a lucky Doombolt to take care of the frostheart. Versus the sisters (and the rest of his army) it is a matter of some balistic shooting, and getting my COK and Hydra into his backfield as soon as possible.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Well charge it with a Warlok bus with Masters in the front and give one of them the Iceblade.
Bigboar
Dark Rider

Post by Bigboar »

If my memory doesen't fail me, sisters have always flaming attacks. . Charge them with a mounted master/lord with dragonbane gen or dragonhelm.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'll match my Darkshards against High Elf Sisters anytime.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Poor darkshards.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

If the HE player is directing the fire from his Sisters at Darkshards instead of at Witches, Blackguard, or Executioners that's a win for us.
Venomblades
Shade

Post by Venomblades »

I've always thought bringing Darkshards to a HE battle is a gamble as HE outshoot us. extra 6'' inch range makes a difference big time.

I got a HE match on tuesday coming up and i've kitted a a PEG Dreadlord out just to fight his Phoenix. Was gonna bring darkshards but decided against it.

Really want to tie the frosty up with my Dl then slam my witches in. Frosty = dead.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Venomblades wrote:I've always thought bringing Darkshards to a HE battle is a gamble as HE outshoot us. extra 6'' inch range makes a difference big time.

Remember that sisters have only 24" range. If you get to deploy DS across the sisters you are good to go. Sisters are easy kills for DS and if sister don't shoot back they die. Either way, win for you.

Otherwise DS are little lackluster against HE, especially shooting wise. RBTs are golden
Last edited by Ajattaro on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Sisters of Averlorn are a great unit but so are Darkshards. Their shooting is comparable (though a fair edge to the Sisters) however the Sisters are a Rare choice while Darkshards are core and Darkshards can bring command - I have no reservations about throwing them into combat so I find them much more versatile. Both have their uses but for my play style, I prefer Darkshards.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Executioner_of_khaine
Warrior

Post by Executioner_of_khaine »

I am liking lore of Heavens quite a bit these days. I think it works well here as well.
Drop a Comet on the sisters and the Cast Bolts at the Phoenix, remembering the lore attribute for a random wound here and there. Reaper Bolt throwers do the rest.
anglais
Corsair

Post by anglais »

If he has both frostie and sisters he does not have RBTs and Eagles. This is a huge advantage for us
Same goes for 2 frosties. de can survive rush then it is easy
In terms of 2400 game I think that frostie 4 rbts and an eagle is the most competitive rare split.
I like to win, but not by playing the limit of the rules