[PLOG] The Lost Colony

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Which demon should I use?

The dying tentacled demon
83%
The Reaper fire demon
17%

Total votes: 6

Coop
Dark Rider

Re: [PLOG] The Lost Colony

Post by Coop »

This is pretty special. The mage-warrior duo are awesome and you have totally succeeded with the mini-diorama style.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Coop wrote:This is pretty special. The mage-warrior duo are awesome and you have totally succeeded with the mini-diorama style.

Thanks very much, I'm glad you like it.

I still haven't finished designing the other two bolt throwers, but meanwhile I'm working on a BSB (for a group tournament that's getting uncomfortably close), so stay tuned. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The BSB is almost finished, just need to come up with a banner top that would be awesome enough (any ideas, anyone?) and probably some freehand on his cloak. I have to say I'm quite happy with the banner (if not with the rest of the model, I'll probably tough him up to bring him to my standard), especially as it was my first major freehand attempt. :)

We decided to base him on Sigvald, because the model has so much character, just don't tell our elves he was originally a Chaos hero. :D He still needs a name, but he'll probably get some fun fluff as well.

Image Image Image
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice freehand work.

As for banner top, why not go with a griffon to match the artwork?
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Love that sculpt, nice banner too.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sorry to disagree, but the banner seems a little too simple for the army's Battle Standard.
The eagle is nicely made, but I expected something in the empty spaces.
It should not be just the shield motive, only larger.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Calisson wrote:Sorry to disagree, but the banner seems a little too simple for the army's Battle Standard.
The eagle is nicely made, but I expected something in the empty spaces.
It should not be just the shield motive, only larger.

Hm... I suppose you're right. Do you have any suggestion how to make it better? I usually try to go for simple elegance and was afraid to make the banner too cluttered. Maybe a rune or something?
Thanks for your feedback. :)
My painting blog

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

That is a phoenix you morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! :badh:

:D :D :D

I do not think we can have a phoenix on top of the banner. We see it as a symbol of Asuryan but the banner is already clearly carrying his name as is. Why invoke him again? We are thinking about a small sun but are not sure about this.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

:shock: Ah yes. Sorry

Closer look reveals it better. Damn tiny screens on the phone.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<feeling again like the bad guy who says "no"> :(
Marchosias wrote:That is a phoenix you morons!
How many legs? !conf!
2 legs = eagle
4 legs = griffon.

Oh, and from one of the first posts of this thread:
Rowena wrote:...My boyfriend suggested to put some kind of eagle on them. At first I was afraid it would look too high-elvish, but then it set me thinking. We were High elves once and even though I am not sure about our present relationship, we have never had a civil war. So... why not? Especially if it is modified and the original source already forgotten.

So I took this:
(Probably not an official symbol, as it seems to be from warhammer fantasy roleplay, but I like it anyway and it suited our purposes)

and turned it into this:

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ves%20WIP/eagle.jpg

This is simplified version for the shields, but the same symbol should appear on standards as well, in a more complex form.
I basically changed it into a real bird, turning the flames into feathers...

Conclusion:
Amboadine, you got cheated! :lol:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Callisson: Yup, cheating it is. Basically, warrior shields have the phoenix-turned-eagle normal bird while this stardard has the original picture - or something that was supposed to be like it. I guess it's hard to see the difference between feathers and flames, especially as they are the same colour.
Maybe I could add some flames around it, to make it clearly a phoenix?
My painting blog

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Indeed, flames extending away from the..., er..., "creature" in all directions would neatly fill the empty spaces, would help classify it as a 2 legged phoenix, and furthermore would help the transition with the sun.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Calisson wrote:
Conclusion:
Amboadine, you got cheated! :lol:

:) nice post
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Calisson: This (eagle/phoenix) is the problem (well, a problem) with projects spanning over multiple years.

Our original plan was that while we were originally High Elves, both factions have drifted away from this lifestyle and beliefs. Under this vision, we have not seen a phoenix in ages and they carry no significance to us anymore. Therefore, the symbol was changed to an eagle or a harpy for solars and lunars, respectively.

However, the current idea is different. Now we think that after the what we consider betrayal from the "arrogant fools" of Ulthuan, one part - the lunars - purposely threw the High Elf culture away, changing their symbolism in the process, but the other part, the solars, decided they are obviously the only true elves left and are clinging to the original High Elf ways even more tightly. As a consequence, they worship Asuryan and use phoenixes on their standards.

At least I hope those are our thoughts at the moment. :) There was not much gaming, painting or discussing in the last several months and our opinions might have drifted in the meantime without me actually noticing. :D
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Marchosias wrote:At least I hope those are our thoughts at the moment. :) There was not much gaming, painting or discussing in the last several months and our opinions might have drifted in the meantime without me actually noticing. :D

I think so. I guess I am leaning more and more to High elf style and kits for solars in my later conversion projects while trying to still keep the army consistent, but it should still be a mix.
I believe one of the reasons why this change happened was that in the beginning we seriously underestimated the length of evlen life in Warhammer, coming from much more realistic fantasy worlds. We have just realised that there simply was not enough time in our history to forget everything so completely. :)
My painting blog

Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I have done a mock-up of the banner with flames added and I don't know. Maybe I'm doing it wrong (I could try to connect the flames together, maybe), but I think I prefer the plain version to this one.

(This is a scan of a printed picture with the fames painted on it, so please excuse the horrible quality)
My painting blog

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

ImageImage
Comparing the two, the filled one seems more appropriate for a Grand Battle Banner.
Furthermore, the flames are indispensable if you want the bird to be understood as a phoenix.
Now, ultimately, that's your army, not mine.

For the flames themselves, I like a lot how you did. Don't connect the intervals!
You just might wish to fill a tad more the bottom right corner of the banner. The bird seems not exactly centered in the flag, you would need one more flame on the right to compensate.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Calisson wrote:Comparing the two, the filled one seems more appropriate for a Grand Battle Banner.
Furthermore, the flames are indispensable if you want the bird to be understood as a phoenix.
Now, ultimately, that's your army, not mine.

For the flames themselves, I like a lot how you did. Don't connect the intervals!
You just might wish to fill a tad more the bottom right corner of the banner. The bird seems not exactly centered in the flag, you would need one more flame on the right to compensate.

I definitely appreciate your input!
Yes, the phoenix is not centered, because I didn't manage to measure it well enough. I agree there should be more flames on the right side to compensate. As for the left, I was afraid it would clash with the decoration in the corners, so I'll see about that.
My painting blog

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sorry, I meant right, not left. No need to add anything on the left side of the banner.
Edited the posts above.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

In that case I agree completely. :)

More pictures:

The first one is an attempt to make a border of flames. Meh. :( The second one is the newest, with a larger flame in the corner and the rest more similar to the first one, just with maybe a little less of the flames. I still don't know. Maybe the original one is starting to grow on me because I like it the best of the three, but...?
My painting blog

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I would suggest to take the original one, on right, and just add one more flame between the three right bottom flames and the five right top flames.
The additional flame needs not to be attached to the other flames, in the same style already used. It could be as long as the second from bottom.
That would fill out nicely the empty blue portion.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Calisson wrote:I would suggest to take the original one, on right, and just add one more flame between the three right bottom flames and the five right top flames.
The additional flame needs not to be attached to the other flames, in the same style already used. It could be as long as the second from bottom.
That would fill out nicely the empty blue portion.

So what you would do is fill the whole space evenly? Because I would probably think it more logical if the flames followed the phoenix - I tried to make them "come out of" the wings and tail, not its body. I'm actually not even sure the flames between the two wings need to be there (I have considered a rune, there is one meaning "guard's duty" in the new high elf heraldry book for example)
What I'm going for with the whole army is simple elegance and while just the phoenix might be a bit too empty for a battle standard, I'm not sure I want to drown it.
My painting blog

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looking Good Rowena, coming along nicely!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Rowena wrote:So what you would do is fill the whole space evenly? Because I would probably think it more logical if the flames followed the phoenix - I tried to make them "come out of" the wings and tail, not its body. I'm actually not even sure the flames between the two wings need to be there (I have considered a rune, there is one meaning "guard's duty" in the new high elf heraldry book for example)
What I'm going for with the whole army is simple elegance and while just the phoenix might be a bit too empty for a battle standard, I'm not sure I want to drown it.
Flames must be there if your bird is to be a phoenix, not an eagle.

Now I'm home, I can take the time to draw.

Two possibilities:
Phoenix 2.jpg

Flames as a pyre, from whch the phoenix would emerge - as your bird is positioned low, there is not much room, but still, enough to show a pyre. I'm sure you can draw it much better. Flames are slightly more reddish and less goldish than the bird in order to make a difference between the pyre and the phoenix.

Phoenix 1.jpg
Flames irradiating from the phoenix in flight. These flames should cover more and less 360 degrees, they irradiate in all directions like the sun. Pretty much what you did, only with one more flame.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Thanks for the pictures. The pyre looks awesome (why haven't I thought of that?), but you're right about there not being much space and if the flag looks too empty, this doesn't fill it that much. But it makes the bird unmistakeably a phoenix and I like the design very much. Decisions, decisions... :) Especially as it's not just my army. (Marchosias?)
Thanks very much for all your input. :)

Also, the team tournament I was trying to make some new models for starts today. My results: BSB almost finished, bolt throwers finished 2/4, executioners finished 8/10 and harpies finished 3/3 (we switched to unies of a few harpies and a few razorwings to make them less cluttered, so I only needed to make one harpy and two razorwings to fill a new unit, pictures coming when I get the models back)
My painting blog