Un-Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Re: Un-Welcome to the Age of Sigmar

Post by Gnosis »

Exactly. Radically different from those warscrolls with their myriad special rules in that you have all your faction's idiosyncrasies laid out on a single A4 before you as a game piece. Superbly elegant, that.

As far as fantasy skirmish wargaming goes I'm also interested in Frostgrave, just released by Osprey and North Star:http://nstarmagazine.com/FROSTGRAVE.htm

If the rules are well-construed then it might become a worthy successor to Mordheim; I'll probably pick up the rules and play with my WHFB models, maybe an Empire wizard or two plus some free company fighters.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I flicked through the book earlier today. It seems somewhat like warmahordes in that you get to pick a commander type, and then the other models are basically the same for every warband. It is, really, about a Wizard who goes searching for power and has some random hired mooks and maybe an apprentice along for the ride.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

That's what I gathered from the (usually positive) reviews on the web. I just hope it has a better balanced campaign system than Mordheim had. I ordered two of the books, my mate will be using his Bretonnians and I'll likely be using Perry Miniatures Italian renaissance models with Empire wizards. Flinging d20s will be excellent ;)
Count them:

Eldarwonderland
Warrior

Post by Eldarwonderland »

Playing my second game of Kings of War on Weds 29 July.

I originally thought it was an "any port in a storm" game. However it has some good points, granted we can't use ALL our models from WHFB but many are directly ported over or can be substituted easily.

Give it a go.
Full Rulebook + all army rosters for £10.

Yes AoS is free but you'll spend more than £10 on indigestion and ulcer tablets if you suffer the angst of playing or even thinking about the new primary school age game from Gee DubYah.
Avatars of War: ordered vestals in March for April delivery, finally arrived Dec 15 2014
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yes AoS is free but...
...it'll cost you your soul ;)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Red... wrote:
Yes AoS is free but...
...it'll cost you your soul ;)

:D nice
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Gnosis wrote:That's what I gathered from the (usually positive) reviews on the web. I just hope it has a better balanced campaign system than Mordheim had. I ordered two of the books, my mate will be using his Bretonnians and I'll likely be using Perry Miniatures Italian renaissance models with Empire wizards. Flinging d20s will be excellent ;)

I actually didn't spot the D20s somehow, but it was a really quick flickthrough. I may give it a pass then, since Infinity has put me off the idea of a D20 skirmish game.
ImageImageImageImage
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

d20 is amazing, the more value of the die the better the game is. in d6 the jumps are by 16% in a d20 you have 5%, it makes for a much better game, as the game is much much much less dicey. Example, to get 50%+ on a d6 you can score 4,5,6 only 3 results per dice roll, on a d20 its 10 possible results. It makes a world of a difference, it also allows for much better game mechanics.
Also known as Kanadian
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

My dice fly off the table all too frequently as it is, D20s are practically spherical though - there's no stopping them!!!
Last edited by toots on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Killerk wrote:d20 is amazing, the more value of the die the better the game is. in d6 the jumps are by 16% in a d20 you have 5%, it makes for a much better game, as the game is much much much less dicey. Example, to get 50%+ on a d6 you can score 4,5,6 only 3 results per dice roll, on a d20 its 10 possible results. It makes a world of a difference, it also allows for much better game mechanics.
I very much disagree with that, I find the game is far MORE dicey, in that the results are able to swing to a ridiculous degree. In an RPG that's fine, but in a skirmish wargame it leads to bad things happening. Far better to use multiple identical dice and get a bell curve.

Also your maths example is silly. The more results just mean there are more irrelevant subdivisions of a coinflip.
ImageImageImageImage
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looks like 40k to me.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Wow. That's not even trying to hide the 40k influence.
Hoping that the Aelves are a little more to my liking when they arrive.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Is that supposed to be a crossbow? :O
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yep and the archers look like boltthrowers lol

$85 for five models looks rather steep as well http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Stormcast-Eternals-Judicators
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

Haha, that crossbow is ridiculous !lol!
No way I will use that monstrostiy, no matter how strong it is :roll:

$85 for five models looks rather steep as well http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Sto ... Judicators

Not more expensive than 5 terminators (and they are of similar scale and equipment options). You don't need that many Stormcast Eternals for an army anyway (at least at the moment).

Hoping that the Aelves are a little more to my liking when they arrive.

I'm also really curious. My local store manager said, after he had visited Nottingham, that the new Aelf stuff he saw looked pretty amazing. And much more elf-like, so more fragile, lithe and lethal. We will see. I bought the Stormcast Eternals from the starter set (split the box with a friend who took the chaos stuff), but I don't think I will continue collecting them for now and save my money for Aelfs and terrain (which looks pretty sweet so far). The Stormcast Eternals are just a "little" too hamfisted for my taste. I mean quite literally, their fists and their legs, everything looks a bit clumsy.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: First game of AoS, DE vs Warriors of Chaos

Post by Dalamar »

From all the reports I've read so far it looks like AoS is an expensive card game with miniatures instead of cards.

You build your "deck" based on synergies and then make them work in game. Difference being you start with all your "cards" available to you and don't need to count on luck of the draw.

If I wanted to play card games I'd play Hearthstone (which I do)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: First game of AoS, DE vs Warriors of Chaos

Post by Killerk »

Iąm sorry but there is no tactical any thing in this game, you just push everything forward.... but you don't really need to do that as who ever has more elite models wins. I didn't want to write this earlier, as you took time to make this report, but all the AoS reports I read so far sound the same:
We pushed forward I lost there but rolled well and won there, in the end ... won the game. There is strategy in every game, but AoS destroyed that with deployment rules.
Also known as Kanadian
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Howdy all, long time no see.

I might have to agree with the GW phasing out Warhammer all together theory. The fantasy section of the black library is more bare then a politician's conscience. This means they cleared out mainstays like Malus and everyone's favorite berserker with a shotman's complex.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
taggart
Warrior

Post by taggart »

Not that impressed with what i've seen or read so far . my bug bear is the price of the new models .
£30 sterling for 5 ! Mind you they will sell you 2 boxes for £60 !!! ?
Is there going to be a day when GW stop selling the , now , old fantasy stuff ?
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

taggart wrote:Not that impressed with what i've seen or read so far . my bug bear is the price of the new models .
£30 sterling for 5 ! Mind you they will sell you 2 boxes for £60 !!! ?
Is there going to be a day when GW stop selling the , now , old fantasy stuff ?

Yep, for the new and improved "we sware we are not space marines" that look like extras from Chrinicles of Riddick
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

A few people were thinking the release of the new game might be the death of fantasy in disguise - I think it might be around for a little while longer.

more photos here... http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/07/out-with-the-astartes-in-with-the-stormcast.html
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

Fantasy won't really go anywhere, in spirit that is. if AOS does stay around, then we know that the new releases are going to be fantastic looking minis. As much as them looking 40Kish they are still nice looking models. Im a big fan of the khorne minis personally.

But i have a feeling that AOS may be a stepping stone to new revamped Fantasy Game. it may take 10 years to get there but if they can make fantasy as popular as 40K then they are on to a winner.

I find the game system mechanics rather quick and fun. very simple "just get on with it" type game.
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Kings of War had quite an amusing response to the Age of Sigmar silly mega statue...

"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Cultofkhaine wrote:A few people were thinking the release of the new game might be the death of fantasy in disguise - I think it might be around for a little while longer.

more photos here... http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/07/out-with-the-astartes-in-with-the-stormcast.html
I dunno, this might be a sign of backing the wrong horse in the next race too, because he's gotta win sometime right?
ImageImageImageImage
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I'm seeing plenty of people on numerous message boards, for example Daeron on our beloved d.net, putting lots of time and effort into theorising various aspects of the new AoS ruleset, with various mathematical breakdowns and the like. There also seem to be lots of debates on the tactical side of it, chiefly on maximising pile in moves and optimal initial deployment. Lots of cogent debates going up and down the web, it seems.

My question may be blunt, but: Why the bloody hell would you put that much effort into it?

AoS is a ridiculously barebones ruleset with all of the original WHFB-flavoured warscrolls being a hasty afterthought (or afterbirth?), badly-worded core game mechanics and plenty of generally wonky situations. Before you hit the 'quote' button: yes, this is merely my opinion and you may disagree. So forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but I'm thinking: is it worth putting your effort into dissecting this ruleset? Because:

1) It's (hopefully) still in development and bound to change, even quite drastically, so all the theorising might be undone at GW's whim;
2) And of course, being the cynical bastard I am: Why would you bother putting that much effort into a ruleset that was obviously created over the course of an afternoon? Is it worth gracing such a ruleset with that much of your time? I realise I'm being blunt here, but I just can't see the angle.
Count them: