[PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sabious
Executioner

[PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Post by Sabious »

Alright, let’s get this show rolling.

First post and first shot at presenting my miniatures. New on forums as well. Hi guys!

This log will feature a great deal of Dark Elves, some Dwarves and bits and pieces of whatever I find myself toying with. However, I am the worst at sticking to one unit or model, and you should expect to see me jumping from one project to the next.

And back again.

I will include some backlogging as well, wanting to show you guys what I made before I posted here. In addition I will try to include some work-in-progress pictures whenever I remember, as well as ideas whether they are canned or undecided for. Feel free to throw in your opinion. It might very well tip the scales!

Anyway, enough log talk. Miniatures?!

Some ten years ago I had the idea of an autumn coloured army. I gave it a few shots, and while the idea made it unto the models, the execution was lacking and tedious. I have returned to play and enjoy miniature wargaming, and with that came the need to revisit painting.

Here are a few of the tries I made back then:

Now that I am back I have decided to give the theme a chance again. And let me tell you a bit about it; Autumn, desert, sunset, call it what you will. I love the thought of the elves being haughty and aloof, bordering vain. So dark elves in yellow? I like to think of them as being obviously dangerous, like vibrant poisonous plants or brightly coloured jungle toads. Another aspect I wanted to display was Drow. Good old darkskins with pale hair. This, in my mind, is what gives my elves the Dark in Dark elves. Apart from their.. obvious good behaviour.

Back then I chose a cold grey for their skin and I have decided to keep it, finding it compliments my warm autumn colours pretty well. Apart from the grey skin, yellow and brown clothes, there are of course the metals. Staying warm coloured, I work in bronze, copper and golds. I try to avoid silver, as I am personally tired of silver+gold armours. It looks great, but I want to see if something else can be done about it. To not drown it all in orangey coppergold, I made the gold look ancient and antique, almost behaving like silver.

Everything is sort of work in progress or accepted test models at the moment, but I wanna show you some more of what I’m aiming for.

Again the dark yellow as the prime colour, with copper chainmail and faded gold along dark bronze. You might say ‘Hey, where’s the red colouring?’, and I tried giving it a bigger part of the theme, but I found it took over the yellow more than I liked. Thus I have reduced it to strings, pouches, special guys and ornament. Just to stand out a little, as seen with the executioner on the picture.

I would like to avoid the silver blades, but I have not come up for something armywide. Runeswords or something alike (coloured blades) is something I have thought about. So far only for heroes and special units. Like the executioner again, where I’m trying out a dark red hue for the draichs (not shown on pic). Also not happy about strong contrast highlight lines, like the yellow on rim the shield. Gonna do something about that.

So what’s really on the program? – Dark Riders.

I give you below a sneak peek of my attempt of a finished model with the Autumn theme. He needs work on the base and some touch up, but once it has been finished, I will post again with more pictures of him and his four dark fellows.

Let me know what you think!

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: [PLOG] Autumn Host by Sabious

Post by Amboadine »

First up, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your work.

The colour scheme I think could work nicely, however it does look as if the yellow is a touch too thick. Try thinning it down a little more, requires more coats but worth it in the end. Then over the top a darker yellow or maybe orange ink wash helps followed by a few highlights around the edges. Highlights you could go straight white or a yellow/white mix.

Don't forget to finish it off with a little detail on the base. Even a basic flock or painted fine sand will make all the difference.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I would echo everything Amboadine has said, and add that your blending on your cloak would look a lot better with a little more work too. Some of the "edges" between one shade and the next are a little too distinct; the best ways to fix that are to use super-thin "glaze" coats of a shade in between, and to use the direction of your brush strokes to help you too. What I mean by that is this: when you lift your brush off of your mini, a little more paint is left on the mini at the point that the brush leaves the surface. It's due to the surface tension of the water. You can't fight physics, so make it work for you. Make sure that the part you want darkest is where your brush stroke ends. I hope that makes sense.

Again, though, to reinforce the good: Your color scheme is unique and has potential. It will definitely jump out at people, which is a good thing. And I love the drow skin look too. If I were starting my army over again from scratch, I'd definitely consider doing them all that way. As it is, what I've done instead is paint my Warlocks that way, and the rest of my army with more "caucasian" skin tones. Anyway, your idea is solid, it just needs a bit more work to make it shine.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Also, regarding the drow skin - I might recommend Reaper's color Triads. They have 2 different ones that are designed to emulate drow skin. One has a bit more purple than the other, so it just depends on which you prefer. But you might look into those:

One is Dark Elf Skin, Dark Elf Highlight, Dark Elf Shadow, and the other is Dusky Skin, Dusky Skin Highlight, and Dusky Skin Shadow. You might look into those. I haven't used the "Dusky" line, I don't own it, but my PLOG does have an example of a Reaper Drow painted with the Dark Elf Skin triad. You might look at that, and see if that look appeals to you.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Fast replies and sweet ones at that! Nice! Great meeting you guys.

@Amboadine: I see! So to counter the thickness you would suggest beginning with a darker colour and build up the yellow?

I do agree with you both the cloaks could use some sort of highlight, but I have not been successful so far. The bright yellow/white highlight it sticking out too much when I look at it. Then again, I'm only just venturing into those highlight lines and I might be staring at it too much. Maybe you guys can help me there.

Basing comes in my next post!

@direweasel: Yes! The blending can be better. The first few pictures here are not really there yet. The upcoming Dark Riders should have a better look to them, though with what you just told me about the brush I could revisit them - and it does make sense. Thanks for explaining! You also mention super-thin glazes. I have no experience is mixing or watering down colours. Is this what you suggest?

Your miniature looks nice! I had no clue about those Reaper colours. I will have a look around for them next time I am in town. My drow colour is a bit bland so far. :)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and advice. I appreciate all of your thoughts, and especially for sharing your expertise.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

These swift riders herald the fall. The end of summer and the coming of dark times. Bringers of death! They are the Autumn’s vanguard.

– The Dark Riders!

So these five are painted up to a standard where I need to paint something else before returning. I decided to skip on the leader axe thing, since I think their spears are pretty menacing. Also glued the musician’s horn to hang by his side, to allow him a weapon as well.

Image Image

These guys are also a chance to show off my bases. I have gone with an Icelandic desert theme. Ashen black sand with tufts of yellow grass springing up. The beaches and plains of black are spectacular there and I could not resist remaking it.

To change it up at times, I want to add streams of dark bog water, something which has lingered beyond the life of the trees that once lived around …these bases. That’s the idea.

I like to cling to the clammy feel of the underground dwelling drow, and less of city elves. Caves, hollow trees all that good stuff. Hope you enjoy it.

On smaller bases like these Dark Riders I have merely painted the base and added glue to act as water. But I have some modeling water for some of the larger ones, like chariot bases.

Also, check out these attitude shots. I love those stampeding horses and look of determination on the elves.

Image Image

As a fun addition I have tributed the armies of three of my good friends on some of the bases. Abandoned Empire shield, down-trodden skeleton and a trampled Chaos star.. for.. that is how tributing works ..right? >:)

Aaaand cue backlogging.

I painted this Scourgerunner Chariot some time ago, when I thought I might go back to painting. Also before I learned I wanted to hold back on red.. ah well. Also the green is something I want to alter. Maybe I will divide the host in slight altered colour sections. Such as ‘Army’, ‘Raiders and Beasties’ and ‘Khainites’.

I would add this to the Raiders and Beasties, me thinks. Any excuse goes!

Alright, time to close this one up. Tell me what you think! Tips, questions, everything goes :)
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Sabious wrote:You also mention super-thin glazes. I have no experience is mixing or watering down colours. Is this what you suggest?

Yes. You should always water down your paints at least a little, a few thin coats gives better results than a single thick one.

A glaze just takes that concept to the extreme, to where the paint is thinned to the point of being almost transparent, like water. If using the dropper style paints (Reaper or Vallejo), it's usually 7 or 8 drops water for every drop of paint. You can then use this to blend from one color to the next.

Glazes are really useful for blending, and they can really help with doing hair too. In the case of your dark riders, that's not a huge priority because of those hoods, but for other minis you will be able to see where a glaze would help with that.

This would also be a good time for me to point you in the direction of the "Wet Palette Tutorial" I did for Druchii.net. If you read through that, it will make it easier to understand thinning paint and so on, because you can thin it once on a wet palette and it will retain that consistency through several paint sessions if necessary. If you're like me, and painting time is limited, that can REALLY be a saver of time and materials. Not to mention your results will likely improve too. It's a VERY useful tool. I would recommend giving that a quick read; it's a sticky post in the P&M section.

Sabious wrote:Your miniature looks nice! I had no clue about those Reaper colours. I will have a look around for them next time I am in town. My drow colour is a bit bland so far. :)

Glad to help. I had a hard time with drow skin before coming across those paint lines as well. When painting with very dark colors, you risk losing your details, and on faces that can really be a problem, because that's where the "personality" of a mini is. So it's important to find a way to highlight. Those help with that.

I'm glad you like my mini. I'm disappointed in that picture, it really doesn't work as well as some of my other mini pictures, for the exact reason that the skin tone isn't very visible. I think it's a lighting issue. Sometime when I'm not working tons of overtime, as I am now, I'll go and reshoot that with better lighting and background and see if that helps.

Sabious wrote:Thanks a lot for your suggestions and advice. I appreciate all of your thoughts, and especially for sharing your expertise.

Well, I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I do know I've gotten better over the years, and am glad to share what I know. If others can use my experience as a partial shortcut to their own, then I'm all for that. :)

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great job on the riders and chariot as a combined force. They would really well together.
I like the darker bottom of the cloaks too, gives a nice touch to finish it off.
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

This is a really unusual colour scheme but you have really made it work, the high quality bases really help aswell. I really like the effect on the dark riders cloaks.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Great looking models and the bases are top notch! Im looking forward to seeing the rest of your army.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and kind words. Really appreciate the boost to motivation.

I'm happy you like the cloaks and bases, which are about the craziest thing I can do. I guess you can tell I enjoy those two areas the most :)

And what an eye opener! That wet palette thing is magic. Or science! Something fantastic at least. I have not tried one before, mostly since I had no idea it existed, but if I had one of those, I might delve into mixing colours. I have always kept away from big armywide mixing since you might not recreate the right colour. This has me curious...!

As for now I have had to make some terrain for my gaming group, but I will have an update in a day or two I think with more minis ;)
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

This is my lovely trinity!

Three ladies ready to do battle. A redhead, a blonde and snakes-for-hair! From the army a Mistress, from the khainite worshippers a Death Hag and lastly the beastmasters’ brought a Bloodwrack Medusae.

Elves first. These two have been converted to be Battle Standard Bearers on foot. At first I was aiming for a Dreadlady and wanted to convert it somehow besides making it female (greenstuff chest). At first I stuck the default sickle weapon on, until I found the banner among my bits and immediatly liked it.

The Death Hag is obviously a hag from the old cauldron, idea stolen from the internet where she had become a BSB as well. I went for the corsair flag and a sword from.. somewhere. Don’t recall. Cold ones or dragon rider might be looking for it. Anyway, she took it and lifted it higher than her orignal sword.

Later I looked at the discarded Dreadlord sickle and part of me wants to replace the sword in her hand with it. And yet, the way she puts her foot in front of the other match really well with the direction of the sword and banner, creating this dramatic triangle. Just the sort of thing an eccentric Death Hag would do. Afraid of everything turning yellow, I tried to colour the inside of her cloak differently. Brown, gold, bronze. Nothing worked. I reached the conclusion that among halfnaked grey witch elves or atop the cauldron she will stand out (brightly!) and show off that she is indeed a hero.

Her base is on the edge of too much for me. I might cut down on the skulls someday, but for now they hide the magnet stuck to her boots, so she can be used on the Cauldron of Blood. At first I imagined her standing behind the cauldron itself, but with the flag going back it almost collides with the statue of Khaine and I thought what the heck, let her stand in the pool of blood on some skulls (don’t know why they would toss them in there after the victims have been bled. Except for drama. Or maybe Khorne?)

Wait wait wait.. what of the banners themselves? No borders, symbols or anything? -Not yet! I have not been able to decide on anything.
I have a few concepts but knowing I have a habit of changing my mind I will wait a bit with the tedious freehand. Euugh.

Ah! The Medusae, you say? Yellow snakes. I wanted to try yellow, just to see what it would be like. Safe to say I liked it a lot and it helps brighten things up from the grey and brown I feel. She too is magnetised to fit on the cauldron and on her own.

Ending on a couple of shots more. Enjoy!

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

The bright yellow snake heads on the Medusa are brilliant (in more ways than one)! It really pops against the darker colors, and actually looks like some sort of tropical venomous snake.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Visually very striking colours. Still think you should thin the paint a little more though :)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Incredible colour scheme and theming. It looks really awesome!

On the dryness of the paint - I wonder, are your paints somewhat old? If so, then you may struggle to lose the dry feeling, regardless of how much water you add. It could be time to purchase some newer paints. I'm talking from experience on that one.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Hey all :)

Thank you all for the feedback! Appreciate it everytime. I'm happy you get the tropical danger as well, Vulcan :D, and that you all like it. Makes it easier to go forward.

As for the dryness I think it comes down to not thinning paints, as several of you mention and suggest. A few of the paints are old, but not a lot. So it seems my next daunting step in painting is laid out in front of me. Thinning stuff. Eugh. How?! :D

Right, go look it up Sabious. Duh. Well, I'm sure there is a guide on the forum or something? No shops had the wet palette, all on backorder. So what do you do? I would hate to have one ratio of yellow one day and another on a later day. Or is it the sort of thing where making more layers will achieve the density needed? Extract the paint from the container with a brush?

Push me over the edge here, guys ;)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

How about make your own wet palette, really so simple :)

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/06/tutorial-how-to-make-wet-palette.html
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Hey everyone, still breathing here :D

But as I said in the beginning I skip and jump from project to project. First I began on Sisters of Slaughter. Then I made a lot of terrain (read; not finished yet) and currently I find myself painting up some Grudge Throwers!

Anyway, once something comes further along more pics will follow :)
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

This will be about terrain and my take on the Land of Chill.

So with my elves having blackened deserts with tufts of yellow grass as the basic composition, I thought I needed something more on the terrain, to have those individual pieces pop out more in the landscape like oases and the sort. I immediatly thought of decayed lands, bogs and so forth. Dead marches also came to mind. So here are my results!

Also bear in mind with the lighting.

I made four pieces and based them as usual adding leaves and magnets, painting the water and giving it a sheen. Sometimes also a little elevation between the marsh water and dry land. However, I made sure to stay away from rocks and larger tufts of grass and reeds, since it is meant to be played on, and movement trays or single models would fly on rocks and crush vegetation.

This left my landscape rather dull looking and lacking. While I first made trees I realised it needed more detail, and to comprimise I made little islands of rocks and other movable, but impractical terrain, and thus were born the template for both trees and statues as well.

I had not only made forests, but marshes too by only placing rocks around, giving the idea that trees are long gone from the area. The statues creating that elven eery feel of dread. Every tree and rock are based on a round plate with three magnets under, allowing for detailed looking terrain, without sacrificing function.

The trees and statues still need painting and basing to truly fit in (and stand out!)

Always thinking about multipurposing, I came up with the solution of magnetised props and debris. While I first tried to hide the magnets under grass and dirt it immediatly weakened and the trees fell over constantly. So they are in plain view.

I did not fancy making accurate ‘holes’ or lowered portions to interchange, since I want to customise as much as possible every time and found it a hassle. In addition I found a magnetic sheet similar to ones used for movement trays, but this had precut tiny squares in it. Perfect!

Around the terrain base are magnets in groups of three, positioned as a triangle. This allows for for the prop pieces to be shifted around as desired, as well as turning – if each
tree has a ‘front side’, that side can be turned to face one of three directions.

To summarise in game: I treat the terrain as forest if it has trees on it. Is it merely rocks and reeds it is a marsh. However, due to the amount of water on the pieces they could all function as lakes or rivers as well, depending on how much you stuff on each piece. As long as you are clear on what it is, everything is great.

Of course mixing all things together make for an interesting looking piece of terrain, in the third combination; a forest with a mystical statue and rock.

Whenever a unit enter the terrain you just remove the obstacles or relocate them on the piece, unless of course you play AoS and you just keep it in place. It has been quite a success on our gaming table so far!

It obviously has potential for storytelling and roleplaying approaches too, such as D&D and the likes. I took a few inspired pictures as example. Hope you enjoyed this tour of Dreadmarshes and Chillwoods.

“I’ve a baaad feelin’ about this, lad..”

“Aye.. after you.”
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Wow, that's awesome looking terrain! I'd love to have a table done up like that.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great looking terrain you have there.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

That's really great-looking terrain. I especially love the modularity and the fact that I'm not the only one who thinks lakes and marshes should look like such and not like bright blue piece of plastic. Very well done and atmospheric, great job.
By the way, are those trees made using hot glue gun, or is it a different technique? Either way, they look great. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Thank you all for the kind words! :) Happy you like it too.

You're spot on, Rowena! ;) I saw a video guide and the guy basically funded the industry of hot glue, so I immediatly went out and bought one. Used it for so much.

Can you now guess the rest of the materials? The branches in particular? :)
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Just a a quick update on some of the terrain in creation.

To show the millenia of elven society a classic way are the use of ruins. Pillars, temples, and all that. Not only does it fit in the previous terrain features of marshland and forest, but I wanted to be able to set a table with a dark and abandoned side and a lighter, less affected side, forming a border landscape for the miniatures to fight over. These pictures show the latter, a land in autumn colours still untouched by darkness or corruption.

While none of this is truly finished, it clearly shows the intent.

The ruins are bought, while the raised pathway is homemade. I found I wanted to be able create an ancient elven site sometimes instead of sporadically spread ruins and thought some pavement or pathway would better show you entered a place of (possibly) forgotten old. The ends of the pathway are removeable so as to contain a stair for the miniatures to ascend, should one end not be connected to another ruin. It takes inspiration from classic elf type architecture and Rivendell too, in the sense the buildings slip between trees rather than removing them.

And who doesn’t want some High Elf stuff to raid? Conquer? I mean claim. Reclaim. Yes.

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I'm really loving the terrain pieces! Are those elven ruins from a kit or scratchbuilt? They look amazing!
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever