New Alarielle and Spite-Revenants Artwork

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

New Alarielle and Spite-Revenants Artwork

Post by Shadowspite »

Via Warseer:

The spite-revenants look... interesting. If they were going for "was probably once an elf but definitely isn't an elf any more", then I guess they succeeded. The most positive aspect IMO is that this seems to confirm the spite-revenants will be a mixed-gender unit. Been a while since GW did that.

Alarielle... I just don't know. She does look like a possibly-insane formerly-elven nature goddess. Actually, she looks like a deva shaman or druid from 4th editon D&D. That's not a bad thing. And they've almost got that elusive "sexy without being overtly sexualised" thing right. Almost. I'm just not sold on the idea that she has wings and presumably flies, yet fights perched on a tree growing out of a giant beetle. Or that tree-arm, which looks more like a glove than a part of her body.

Also, I'm a bit annoyed that a model that would otherwise be absolutely awesome for conversion-fodder will only be available as part of a ludicrously expensive monster kit.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: New Alarielle and Spite-Revenants Artwork

Post by Amboadine »

Interesting concept. They really are going all out on big monsters, not sure I have ever seen a giant beetle one before.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Look at the wings. At first glance they are rave like, like a creature of death or a trickster, but on further look its wood.

I think they are going to go with a more nature's avenging angel theme with her and her army, so what sharing the consciousness of several thousand years worth of Everqueens and all they went though didn't drive her nuts...the end of the world just enough to make her snap.

So, is George R. Martin in the writing staff?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think it looks alright. Has a bit of an MGT vibe to it, but that's ok.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Saintofm wrote:Look at the wings. At first glance they are rave like, like a creature of death or a trickster, but on further look its wood.

And those green feathers are actually leaves. I did a double-take on that myself. It's pretty cool.

Doesn't make up for her invisible high-heels, though. Seriously, that's not a woman on tip-toes, it's a woman in high heels without the high heels. Her balance is all wrong (her centre of gravity is too far back). Probably a case of a lazy artist using a stock photo as reference, but as someone who actually understands human anatomy, it really irritates me. I cannot unsee the invisible heels. :P

Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

All I know is that I am terrible painter. and It makes me sad. Cause I want to paint her wings like all the leaves are fading from Spring, to summer, to fall, to winter, but I'd never be able to pull that off. Now that I gave you pros the ideas just created me when you when your crystal brush or golden daemon or what not.
Phox Jorkarzul
Catrine
Trainee Warrior

Post by Catrine »

That is not a very good picture for Alarielle, I think in model form that design could look pretty neat though!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Shadowspite wrote:
Saintofm wrote:Look at the wings. At first glance they are rave like, like a creature of death or a trickster, but on further look its wood.

And those green feathers are actually leaves. I did a double-take on that myself. It's pretty cool.

Doesn't make up for her invisible high-heels, though. Seriously, that's not a woman on tip-toes, it's a woman in high heels without the high heels. Her balance is all wrong (her centre of gravity is too far back). Probably a case of a lazy artist using a stock photo as reference, but as someone who actually understands human anatomy, it really irritates me. I cannot unsee the invisible heels. :P

It might also be the typical sexy stance power stance. I see this every once in a while but I cant tell if its one or the other.

Its has to be an uncomfortable stance overall though
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I like this one better than the first!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yeah, this is spectacular!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Much better indeed. Want to see the model now, should be pretty impressive.
Catrine
Trainee Warrior

Post by Catrine »

Also of note in the background, Tree-Kin of some sort with a bow, plus the multi-armoured, kina insect-y tree kin in the foreground, possibly a dual kit? Also some half-tree half-elves that are more elf than tree compared to the previous artwork. Also, also, the giant beetle has a little saddle on it, presumably the kit will have a non-Alarielle rider option, like the Maw-Krusha, which might get you the bits for a non-mounted Alarielle, maybe?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

It's not a beetle, it's a Stegadon in power armour.

:o_O:
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Not just me thinking that she's wearing some invisible heels, then :lol:. Maybe some of these artists should try some of these poses once in a while to see if they're actually doable!

That aside, I do prefer it above the dryad-thingy image. It seems to lack a little detail and reminds me of PP's artwork or earlier GW artwork (pre-90s).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Rork wrote:Not just me thinking that she's wearing some invisible heels, then :lol:. Maybe some of these artists should try some of these poses once in a while to see if they're actually doable!

That aside, I do prefer it above the dryad-thingy image. It seems to lack a little detail and reminds me of PP's artwork or earlier GW artwork (pre-90s).

You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea. The Rooster Teeth studio did that when they did the RWBY series so they would know what they were doing.