Cold Weather Question

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Cold Weather Question

Post by Saintofm »

SO put in your area (specifics on general area if you can)
and what temp you put on warm cloths.

Just a curiosity as different regions of the worlds have different definitions of unbearible when it comes to hot and cold, such as a friend of mine from Arizona says people put on sweatshirts at about 70 degrees F/21C

In My Case

United States, California San Francisco Bay Area, East Bay
56 Degrees F./about 13 C.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: Cold Weather Question

Post by cultofkhaine »

It's 13' where I am in the South West of Western Australia and to me it's freezing, I'm currently wearing my thermals and I'm still cold. Looking forward to our summer starting in a few months and then it will be 35-40" :D beach days!

Good weather for painting models by the way not much else to do when it's bucketing with rain.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I'm in the NE of England, and it's been hovering around 19°C lately. That's (for me) the temperature where one layer of clothing is enough as long as the sun is out, and a light jacket or sweater is a sufficient addition when it's overcast. Last week it got up to 32°C, which is (again, this is just me) warm enough for me to start wearing short sleeves and complaining that I'm too hot all the time.

When I get back to my parents' home in the Dordogne (France) in three weeks' time, I expect it to be around 24-28°C. That's short-sleeved shirt weather.

How sunny and windy it is makes more of a difference than the ambient temperature. I've been out in shorts and a T-shirt in 12°C first thing in the morning in France and felt fine because of the sun. Conversely, in the UK I've needed a thick coat at 16°C on an overcast day when the windchill made it feel about half that.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I am also in the NE of England currently, on a three year assignment. One layer at the current temperature is absolutely enough.
As Shadowspite mentioned Windchill off the North Sea can dramatically change what I wear compared to when I travel back home to the South coast
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Humidity and wind make a tremendous difference.
Where it is dry and still, you do not mind being too hot or too cold, you pay no attention.
Where it is humid, you suffer from heat much more, and if it is windy and humid, you suffer a lot from cold in rather mild temperatures.

21C mild wind, humid and cloudy Brittany deserves definitively a jersey or a light jacket.
16C in sunny dry Colorado allows shorts and T-shirts.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

North Carolina, yesterday was 99F but "felt like" 104. For me that is comfortable when it's a dry heat. As Calisson said though, throw in some humidity and its a bit rough.
I personally hate cold weather so I will usually transition from shorts and t shirts to pants and t shirts in the low to mid 60s and I'll add a sweatshirt/jacket high 50s/low 60s.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

We had our summer here in Wales on Tuesday 19th July when it reached 32C during the afternoon. The day after that it was 22C with a strong northerly wind and you REALLY feel the difference!

It's around 18C outdoors here at the moment and around 22C indoors and quite pleasant as long as the wind doesn't pick up. I like a nice 22-24C indoors - that's just nice. If it gets below 20C indoors I feel the need to wear clothes of some kind. Outside it really depends on a lot of variable factors - I can be comfortable with 17C as long as it's fairly bright and sunny with no wind. The slightest bit of drizzly rain and I need it around 22C to be comfortable, but then I have to wear a raincoat and then you get too hot especially with the UK climate where warm weather is always accompanied by clippling levels of humidity. We never get a nice dry heat here - hot always means sticky. At times like that a nice breeze can be comforting but generally speaking when it goes above about 25C there tends to be very still air.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever