Ho Hum - this place is dead!

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Ho Hum - this place is dead!

Post by cultofkhaine »

What are you doing with your hobby at the moment - nobody shares any inspiration these days :cry:
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Ho Hum - this place is dead!

Post by Daeron »

I'm doing so much I can't get things done :P
I started a 40K CSM project, firing up my AoS project again and inventorising my DE's to decide what I'm going to finish first. Meanwhile I went to a miniature convention in Antwerp, bought a gaming mat, contemplate a decent hot wire cutter system to help me make my own terrain...
The gaming room, with a 6x4 table in place, underwent some changes which should give me more closets to stuff my models and works in. I'm oogling a display cabinet, but I might have to move a fridge to make room for it.
Meanwhile I continue to work on the new site, swapping between working on the theme and the data migration.... But I find myself often too exhausted in the evening to fire up my laptop to work on them :(

Ohh.. during my hiatus I bought a new digital camera, which I've been using to upgrade the quality of my photography. I've been playing and toying with that. I might want to make a Lightbox now, but now I can take decent pictures in sub optimal circumstances. I might post my initial results of that too, if you wish :)

And then, of course, there's the family which is very demanding around this time of the year.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Such a shame indeed!

But In the last 2 weeks i played 3 games of 8th ed. DE vs VC. My mate, who got me into the hobby 18 years back, decided to dust of his vampires and Asur for the first time since 7th ed. Next week we will see if he ll manage his first win. The week after that we ll give T&T go with another friend!
Gaming (seeing too many unfinnished units on the table i mean) has gotten me practising airbrushing on my cauldron, painting my warlocks and dreading to pin and base my metal Black guards.

Oh and the plan is to do a mordheim campaign in feb. We got some buildings to finish before then.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

For the hobby, I hardly touched any model lately (two games of T9A in the last year - zero model bought or painted).
However, I spend every day 2 to 3 hours for the development of The 9th Age. Been doing so since March.

Besides, some work on Druchii.net to lead to elvesonline.net.

But thel last 2 months have been very busy with work and family coming home.
That's "all". ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Yeah most of the T9A activity seems to have moved over to their boards and the army-specific sections, where I'm usually at.

Productivity wise, I finished painting most of my units two years ago when 8th wound down (has it been that long!), so haven't had much to do besides the odd touch up job, movement trays or the occasional additional models. I think so far this year that I've built and painted another 8 Tower Guard conversions, a couple of Knights, Dread Prince on a Raptor, 10 Corsairs, Manticore, new Altar, and rebuilt my Pegasus BSB.

... Okay that's actually quite a lot.

I'm now gearing myself up to either repaint my 30 odd spears and 20 Crossbows, or bite the bullet and replace the whole lot with the GW 8th edition models. I'm holding out hope they do a "start collecting: dark elves" so I can pick them up on the cheap, but no sign of that yet. At some point I also want to replace all my movement trays and start work on a chariot prince, but I also discovered Universal Battle so that's where all my free time goes...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Clockwork wrote:Yeah most of the T9A activity seems to have moved over to their boards and the army-specific sections

Very soon, there will be some indication about T9A background, including some DE background. Then we will have something to discuss about.
The other added value here is that we have a specific DE/elven atmosphere, totally missing there, and we discuss among ourselves.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I was burnt out a bit after putting so much work into my ship. Unfortunately I came second in Armies on Parade - the competition this year was insanely fierce.

My youngest son has been stockpiling lizardmen and I said I would paint some for him so my next short term project for the few months is 1500pts of those.

I have also been working on my own game board similar to Warhammer Quest (but not) and hope next year to start getting my head around blender so I can design my own models for it.

Also now that the long term break is here hoping to get some games of 8th in :D
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

I've had limited time lately but I bought some new beastmen models and a 4x4 Forgotten City tile set that Im painting up for Frostgrave. I've been using the tiles to get experience with my airbrush and if I get bold enough I'll try it on some beastmen monsters. I've also been painting up some zombies and skeletons for Frostgrave as well. I just found out that one of my coworkers is interested in Warhammer so I'm going to invite him over for an intro game of Mordheim/Frostgrave/Regiments of Renown to see if he'd be interested in something like 8th/Kings of War.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Regiments of Renown is great fun - might be good for a painting challenge :D
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I've been converting Sisters of the Thorn deer-steeds into antelopes for my desert Wanderers army for AoS. I'm also working on a short story featuring aelves from the shadow-realm of Ulgu. To be honest, though, progress has been slow on both since I have basically no free time at all right now.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I'm currently doing more work on my Illithid stuff, with a couple of Lovecraftian terrain projects also on the go. I tend not to get a lot of hobby stuff done n the summer and autumn months though - lately that seems to be more of a winter thing. Another pet project - the Hellcannon of Slaanesh - is coming along nicely too. I've 3D printed the main structure of it and I'm currently in the process of adding the detailing. Hopefully I'll have a couple of work in Progress pics to post before too long.

Other than that, it's all quiet on the slaaneshi front, but I can assure you all that this is merely a temporary state of affairs - now that GW has (more or less) decided to pretend Slaanesh never existed, it has fallen upon my shoulders to keep the pink fires burning, and I intend to do so with great relish. After all, if something's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess :twisted:

I'm also in the advanced planning stage of making a Slaaneshi Hydra that will be something a bit different from the usual Druchii (yes I still use that word to describe my army - none of that AoS nonsense for me) version. It's actually proving a little more tricky to do than I had expected, but it's getting there - slowly...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Darkprincess wrote:now that GW has (more or less) decided to pretend Slaanesh never existed
What?
I probably miss some AoS fluff evolution.
Care to elaborate?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I would think there is lots of opportunity for slaanesh with Raging Heroes latest release - their mini's are beautiful and would fit right in!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Almost all of my warmachine Cygnar are painted. Most of the stuff I have left are things I've bought because one day they could be useful...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Calisson wrote:
Darkprincess wrote:now that GW has (more or less) decided to pretend Slaanesh never existed
What?
I probably miss some AoS fluff evolution.
Care to elaborate?

When was the last time GW released any new Slaanesh minis?

Slaanesh gets very little mention in what passes for fluff in AoS, while it appears as though the Horned Rat is being set up to take her place :(

None of the more generic Chaos stuff is really appropriate for a Slaaneshi-themed army or tabletop - Even the AoS scenery pieces are difficult to adapt with Slaanesh in mind (I'm not surprised by this of course, but it's still a fact)
Saying that, most of GW's chaos output these days has Khorne written all over it, making it difficult for any other chaos faction - as an example, take the eye-wateringly extortion that are the Chaos Dreadhold kits - Notwithstanding the fact that I'm not about to even consider dropping a grand on a few boxes of cheaply-moulded crappy Chinese plastic pieces, It's really only the (excessively rich) Khorne players that will get much out of it, so it's not only Slaanesh that loses out in that respect (though come to think of it, that would be a seriously cool terrain scratchbuilding project - shouldn't realistically cost more than £20-£30, if that - if only I had a table big enough for it :D

No, I fear that GW's treatment of Slaanesh in the current game world is going to force me to source miniatures and terrain from other places. Having said that, looking on the bright side, that'll save a ton of money.

I haven't really bought anything much from GW in a long time now. Back at the beginning of the year I did go into an independent gaming shop (Firestorm Games in Cardiff - great place with cool staff) to buy some paint but even that's a rarity these days, but GW make the best metallic paints around so when I need some I'll go back there - Not going to go into a GW shop as the one in Cardiff is staffed by annoying spotty-faced teenage oiks who were probably in nappies when my chosen edition (6th) came out. Firestorm sell them a bit cheaper than GW anyway. As for the non-metallics, well I've started to use standard artist's acrylics instead of the GW ones - B&M Bargains will sell you a great set of 40x 12ml tubes of acrylic paints for a fantastic £9.99 - That would cost a staggering £102 for the equivalent GW pots!!! Also the ones in the tubes are a little thicker than the GW ones so once thinned they go a lot further, plus the fact that, unlike GW's insta-dry non-sealing pots, they don't dry out in the tubes...

Anyway, I'm rambling now - this was supposed to be about GW's lack of support - whether real or perceived - for Slaanesh, rather than yet another one of my rants about GW fleecing their customers, so I'll leave it at that for now...
The Dark Princess

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I'm currently doing more work on my Illithid stuff

Dark Princess what are you doing with this?
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Cultofkhaine wrote:
I'm currently doing more work on my Illithid stuff

Dark Princess what are you doing with this?

Basically trying to find more economical ways of making miniatures of Illithids and some of their related creatures as well as making some Illithid-themed terrain pieces (taking a lot of inspiration from HR Giger among other sources for this). The biggest hurdle I'm facing is lack of time - there always seems to be so much other stuff going on IRL these days that I don't have as much time for the practical projects as I'd like. The Illithid army rules are looking pretty good at the moment although not significantly changed since I (along with a few others in the d.net chatroom - mainly Lioness, Bastet and Thingy) thrashed them out almost ten years ago.

I still need a good way to craft grimlock thrall troops though (Illithids tend to employ slaves of other races to do the bulk of their fighting for them, backing up the brawn of the thralls with their superior mental powers - Psionics rather than magic as far as the fluff goes, though in practical gaming terms, it works exactly the same way - the difference is really just in the fluff). Naturally the rules are built around WFB 6th ed, since that's what we still play in our group (occasionally cherry-picking the odd good rule from 7th when it suits us)

Getting the concept of an Illithid army to work in WFB was a bit of a challenge, as they've always worked best in D&D as a sort of behind-the-scenes Machiavellian NPC rather than something the players would run directly, but in the end I think we came up with a pretty decent army concept that places the actual Illithids as Hero and Lord characters, while the core selections are primarily made up from thralls. Canonical Illithid fluff says that grimlocks are the fighting thralls of choice, but until I find a way of making large enough numbers of these at a low enough price, we've been proxying them with night goblins and other greenskin types.

Most of the source material was derived from 2nd ed AD&D (in particular, The Illithiad, by Bruce Cordell which, even today, several editions later, is still regarded as the definitive work on the subject)

I guess I have a long fascination with the creatures of the Underdark (I'm currently developing a Drow army list too, although, as with lot of my projects, starting these things is a hell of a lot easier than completing them :) - at least I have loads of plastic spiders in various sizes...)

Too many projects, not enough time :)
The Dark Princess

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I had a bit of fun a few years back building a drow themed army with an illithid in it. There are plenty of great options for spiders from GW :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Darkprincess wrote:When was the last time GW released any new Slaanesh minis?

Slaanesh gets very little mention in what passes for fluff in AoS, while it appears as though the Horned Rat is being set up to take her place :(
Anyway, I'm rambling now - this was supposed to be about GW's lack of support - whether real or perceived - for Slaanesh

Little has changed since the release of AoS. They did have a made-to-order release of Slaneesh models which were sold out rather quickly. It may have served as a quick money-grab or a gauge for the popularity of Slaneesh (probably both). I still think they set everything up for a big release with Elves and Slaneesh. Looking at all of the (re-)released armies so far, there seems to be little for Slaneesh to corrupt until the Elves are released. I wouldn't expect to hear much from Slaneesh until the Elves arrived.

There are never guarantees, of course. But breaking away from Slaneesh would also split the concept of Chaos between 40K and Fantasy.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Daeron wrote:
Darkprincess wrote:When was the last time GW released any new Slaanesh minis?

Anyway, I'm rambling now - this was supposed to be about GW's lack of support - whether real or perceived - for Slaanesh

Little has changed since the release of AoS. They did have a made-to-order release of Slaneesh models which were sold out rather quickly. It may have served as a quick money-grab or a gauge for the popularity of Slaneesh (probably both). I still think they set everything up for a big release with Elves and Slaneesh. Looking at all of the (re-)released armies so far, there seems to be little for Slaneesh to corrupt until the Elves are released. I wouldn't expect to hear much from Slaneesh until the Elves arrived.

There are never guarantees, of course. But breaking away from Slaneesh would also split the concept of Chaos between 40K and Fantasy.

Elves vs Slaanesh would be pretty cool as a starter set or something. As long as the price is reasonable, I'd buy that. Unfortunately, I fear that the price will likely be totally insane, as seems to be the case lately. I'll be paying close attention though as it's a really nice concept.
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Darkprincess wrote:Elves vs Slaanesh would be pretty cool as a starter set or something.

They'd all be on round bases, though... ;)

Price-wise, GW's recent starter sets have been fantastic value compared to individually buying regular regiment boxes. For example, 'Burning of Prospero' has about £215 worth of minis for £95.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:
Darkprincess wrote:Elves vs Slaanesh would be pretty cool as a starter set or something.

They'd all be on round bases, though... ;)

Price-wise, GW's recent starter sets have been fantastic value compared to individually buying regular regiment boxes. For example, 'Burning of Prospero' has about £215 worth of minis for £95.

Round bases are not a real issue as such - and I can easily make square ones if I want ranked up units. (3D printing is your friend if you have access to the technology, though it's even easier just to make bases from plasticard or even thick cardboard)

Yeah I'm liking some of the new "start collecting" sets. At £50 a throw they're still not cheap, but when you work out the price per model, it's actually pretty good. I just saw the Elves vs Skaven box which looks good (I guess that knocks the concept of Elves vs Slaanesh on the head though...) Since we have a Skaven player in the group, we might split the cost on this one - those pesky Asur minis will make perfect Druchii once I get my corrupting hands on them :twisted:

I guess £50 for a starter box is still just about reasonable - bear in mind that the Battle for Skull Pass starter box was £40 and that was ten years ago - we actually got two of those, as we had a Dwarf player in the group at the time - sadly he doesn't play anymore though I think he still has his army. That's how one of our players managed to cheaply build a pure Night Goblin army (which I painted for him) so these boxes are a great way to start. Onr fear I have for the future though is that they will hike up the prices even further as they try to maintain the same levels of profit in the face of an ever-diminishing customer base. Some of the so-called starter boxes in 40K are already £75 which is too much in my opinion.

I'll pay £50 for a box but not £75 - that's just taking the p155 in my opinion.

As for the prices of special character minis, well they're just totally insane now, but then most of my special characters are converted from other stuff in some way. As my crafting skills improve, I find I need to buy less and less of the fancy stuff and just spend out on the rank and file minis (Though I'm pretty sure I have enough elf warriors anyway LOL)

The Skaven player is definitely going to get the new Skaven Pestilens box as that's pretty good considering that you get 20 plague monks (God knows he has lots of them anyway as he has always played a Clan Pestilens list) as well as a plague furnace and that catapult thing. On the subject of which, here's a question - If you buy the plague furnace kit seperately, you get the option of building it as a screaming bell. Likewise the plagueclaw catapult can be build as a warp lightning cannon. Does the starter box include these options or is it a cut-down version that only allows the one variant of these kits?
The Dark Princess

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Darkprincess wrote:I just saw the Elves vs Skaven box which looks good (I guess that knocks the concept of Elves vs Slaanesh on the head though...)

I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. It's a repackage of the Island of Blood starter box from Warhammer 8th edition. They have done similar repackaging of old army boxes to clear their stock. My guess is they wanted to get rid of their old IoB stock. (Perhaps to make way for new Elf releases?)
I wouldn't expect this one to stay around for a long time, either way.

There have been rumours that Elves might be up next. GW is spreading rumours themselves, intentionally, through their community page. So far we've seen some ghostly pit and flowing cloth with gems.
The gems might hint at Eldar or Elves, but it could be Tzeentch as well.

Darkprincess wrote:On the subject of which, here's a question - If you buy the plague furnace kit seperately, you get the option of building it as a screaming bell. Likewise the plagueclaw catapult can be build as a warp lightning cannon. Does the starter box include these options or is it a cut-down version that only allows the one variant of these kits?

As far as I know, the start collecting boxes have all the pieces you need for all variants. So your Start Collecting! Skaven Pestillence box should be a good deal.

However, the Spire of Dawn box is not the usual Start Collecting box. It's a repackage of the Island of Blood, so I'd expect snap-on Swordmasters etc.

- The stiff breeze
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

That sounds really great then. He'll definitely be running out to get the Pestilens box I think, and if we can get the Spire of Dawn box (it's out of stock on the website) that'll give both of our armies a bit of a boost, thanks :)
The Dark Princess

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

My Dark Elves live in a cupboard in Scotland ...while I live in Thailand ...so zero hobbying over the past year and a half :P

Even my 8th-mod project (see signature) has stalled due to work and life.

Still, once a Druchii, always a Druchii :twisted: 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame