Dread Legionnaires

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Dread Legionnaires

Post by Lord Drakon »

Please share your experiences, synergies and uses of your Dread Legionnaires!
DarkSky
Corsair

Re: Dread Legionnaires

Post by DarkSky »

Lord Drakon wrote:Dread Legionnaires
Dread Legionnaires are the cheapest troops in the book, and used for just that reason: to obtain rank bonuses cheaply, as a bunker for a characters or a shrine or as a cheap reserve. Still, they aren't used for bodies only, as they can hold their ground against other "non elite" infantry in the game. Dread Legionnaires units tend to come in sizes from 15 to 30, occasionally with a magic banner.

Would say, that Legionnaires are from 20-50 models. Additionally the Fleet Commander upgrade can easily transform them into a rushing offensive unit, that relies on the strength of the characters to actually kill something. Additionally the spears provide AP(1) and Lethal Strike versus (Monstrous) Cavalry, and Chariots. So they can also be used to counter these units.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I copied this information from the 9th Age forum. MODs is this allowed? This might provide the collection of already established Dread Elf tactical information and start expanding from that point onwards.

How do you use this unit tactically? What role does it play?

Anvil and character bunker. Fight off skirmishers and optional cavalry killer.

As rank suport, I use to help the charge of this unit with a couple of raptor charriots. They together make a butchery, and I use to win, or at least tie in ranks.

Anvil and character bunker.

Tactically it sits in the middle, and plays in the middle of the field. Theres a few ideas here, firstly conservation of points, because my General and BSB are here typically it eases the burden as i can focus on keeping that unit alive. The second thing is while in the middle of the board with the BSB, Assassin and deep ranks i can threaten some unit thats rely on steadfast to stay in the fight because typically they don't have the damage output to contend with both characters. It's also a solid bunker for the general too, as the wizard can be kept in the second rank. Overall most games this unit remains on the board and typically i conserve the points. I mean only 1 game against Beastherds did i over commit and that costed my unit but luckily the end was a draw :)

Bait for enemy charges: it looks a lot like easy points and it usually is but they have the numbers to hold on steadfast for a turn and I can usually send them some assistance the turn after they take a charge, this way the assisting unit doesnt have to deal with close combat attrition. I also use them as a place to put a sorceress so they dont get shot. They score on secondary objectives and keep their points reasonably well because you get a lot of wounds for the points (in faction): frequently they get beat flee from combat but the last couple of ranks will get away and score something for me.

Usually, I have the unit be an anvil to take on any of my opponent's blocks since they can typically get off a few wounds and survive at least 2-3 rounds of CC. Usually they are not joined by characters, at most a level 2 wizard or an infantry BSB. We usually don't use secondary objectives, so I don't often have anything to secure with these dudes.

To reach objetives, support other combats, and sometimes as bunker for oracle. Only used with spears vs cavalry in an offense way, as normal.

they're chumps really. S4 T4 is now prevalent throughout most armies and also in most armies' core selections. S3 T3 even with AP1 is really poor, even with +1 to hit. DE core is a bit of a tax. no wonder AoS was used as a way of resetting the rules. S4 and T4 really is very common now, as opposed to the mid/late 90s when i started. you need double wyssans or double soulblight for this unit to be effective. double moroec's is decent but it's so bad and expensive compared to wyssans - shocking!!!!

Would use it as main combat block/character carrier. Too expensive to not include characters, relying on just S3 attacks sucks.

Do you have any tips for players using this unit for the first time?

Do not expect the Dread Legionnaires to win the game for you. Against other core troops, they might perform well, but versus Special and Rare expect them to lose. Use them according to their basic rule and you won't be disappointed.

Individualy they are better than other units, but they are going to be less than the enemy. They are a good but expensive core unit, but there are not cheaper units, so you'll have to deal with it.

It’s a good core unit because is cheap

I think the best tip is look at them with disgust, expect nothing from them...Look at them like a Vermin player would look at Slaves, this unit will achieve nothing and try to get flank charges. By that i mean, take 20. Deploy your army center left or center right, than put down the unit of 20 on the extreme opposite flank and give your opponent choice, they can turn to face ur main army and then you can line up some easy flank chargers or they go over your 20 spears and you just go okay! They are yours! :)

Use the flee charge reaction, it is your best friend, with a musician this unit is Ld9 sometimes 10 thats pretty reliable dont be afraid to flee if you'll be giving up points by holding, it helps. Only let them fight to the death if it means something more valuable gets to live.

These guys are an anvil with little competition in the army, and do not be afraid to use it as such. DO NOT TAKE THEM IN AN AVOIDANCE LIST, but in every other list be sure to position them where they can pin down the biggest block of foes and hold them in place. Avoid SUPER killy units like our Tower Guard (so super high attack, good AP and high WS) since they are the only units that can really delete enemies, and be weary of all manner of templates.

Is a unit to keep objetives, support other units..dont go with this unit alone to combat...is weak and don`t have enough Hth hitting power to face long combats.

hold ground with 5x8 formation; don't buy the heavy armour as too many opponents have great weapons or S4 T4 with halberds. +1LD banner and hold that damn ground!! an assassin is nice too!

Take big units or none at all?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Lord Drakon wrote:I copied this information from the 9th Age forum. MODs is this allowed?
No problem for this kind of information, as you do not pretend it is your own creation, especially since you mentioned the source.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}