[PLOG] Daeron's Stormcast: the Royal Guard

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

[PLOG] Daeron's Stormcast: the Royal Guard

Post by Daeron »

"Soon", I'll begin painting my stormcast. I got a little bored with the bloodbound, as they don't play the way I had hoped. So my mind started wondering to a new army, and Stormcast seemed to be a given (since no other AoS army really catches my eye atm).

I wanted to make a more elegant, guard themed army, one that would see to the safety of Azyrheim. So I wanted silver, gold with 1 striking colour that gives them a sense of royalty. I'm going for a strong but shiny red (sort of candy red like the Thousand Suns).

If the shields and shoulderpads go separately, it should be a quick paintjob. For the bases I'm thinking of bright white marble, but a friend recommended to go for a more creamy colour. I'll try both.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: [PLOG] Daeron's Stormcast: the Royal Guard

Post by cultofkhaine »

nice colour scheme - if they are anything like your chaos models they should look great!

Marble is great fun to paint - did some green marble on my old cauldron of blood - it looks good (different)

Looking forward to seeing them.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have this for my dark elves as well, but certainly for the stormcast:

I painted a first mini, as test sample:
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The gold needs to be a tad more yellowish, but It was darkened because of the wrong basecoat. The silver needs to be brighter, so I'll try a nuln oil gloss wash instead of the regular one. The glossy one tends to be less pronounced. I'm reasonably happy with the beige marble, but I need to practise on the red one. I probably won't do complex shapes in the marble anymore, since it looks unnatural. I wouldn't mind a more pronounced red for the cloth but all my attempts turned either pink or orange. I googled examples and noticed red needs more darkening and less highlighting.
Overall, I like the scheme. It is quite quick to paint as well, which is a plus. For my stormcast I would like a reasonably easy paint scheme.

All commments welcome.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hmm - I love the base but hate it as well!

The marble texture looks great but the red in the floor just competes with the red in the model to much IMO.

The red on the shoulder pads looks a bit bloody (glossy) otherwise looks nice.

I'm also surprised you are going with a red colour scheme for these guys - thought you would be over red after painting your chaos warriors :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thank you for taking a look at it, and your feedback.
The shoulders and shield look a tad brighter and more candy-red like in the flesh/plastic. I'll try to get better pictures.
I might go easier on the wash for the shoulders.

As for the base, using only beige proved a bit too boring. A downside of having such large bases is that they quickly look naked ;)
Having a pattern in there helps. The red seems to complement the model. Blue might fit the theme I have in mind, but I fear it will take away even more from the model. Any colour, for that matter.
I guess some alternatives could be white, black, brown or bordeaux. Two bottles for the latter at the least.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I'm also surprised you are going with a red colour scheme for these guys - thought you would be over red after painting your chaos warriors :D

You are quite right. It was one of the reasons I considered not going for this theme. The style I wanted to aim for also allowed white, with pale gold armour and silver rims. But unfortunately, that doesn't catch so well on models.

But I do have to watch it, not to burn out on the red. I almost picked it as colour for my Chaos Space Marines as well ... *shudder* Lovely colour for them, but too much is too much.

For the Stormcast I use candy red though. A very different technique than what I use for my Bloodbound. It's supposed to be a metallic red. It's why the effect is catching so poorly in my pictures. I'll work on improving the pictures. I might have to build a lightbox. My dad probably kept a few handy lamp stands which he never dared throw away and now could be put to good use, but I won't see him for another two weeks ;)

- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

For the not-beige sections of marble on the bases, have you considered black with dark green veins?
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.