2017 NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 2017 NEW YEAR PAINTING CHALLENGE

Post by Daeron »

I stranded here:

The shield arm still needs to be done and the woodwork. For the cloak, I think I'll switch to the paler leather brown to reduce the blackness. But from the front, the colour of the cloak doesn't matter that much ;)
(I guess I should have added a picture from the top and rear . oh well)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

That striking blue never ceases to look great. Can't wait for an army pose :D
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Beautiful unit of riders 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

They look great Sabious! Same with yours Daeron.

I'm still a couple of days off finishing mine.

What do we want to paint this month?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thanks all!

I might bail out for March as I have a lot on my plate and may have to improvise along the way. I need to paint up 22 models in 10 days, so I'll probably have to settle on just the basecoats. Then I'll be using the rest of the month to patch things up, if I can find the time. I want to experiment with Stormcasts, Chaos Space Marines and might want to get a headstart on April when I'll need another 15 bloodbound models (at the least).
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Great industrial work sabious! Dearon I agree that blue works really well and really nice Dark Riders you got there. Looking forward to your work Cult :D

I have to finish my army this month so 30 Dancers, 5 Dark Riders, 10 Shades and repainting of my BSB on Altar. Will post my work of februari later today.

I also like to express my enthusiasm that we as druchii community are still creating inspirational work monthly, great job to all! Might also be a nice idea to start more of those unit posts (show your harpies) to unite work of units in single topics. Personally I still search through our epic PLOG archive for inspiration many times.
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Oh dear, are we switching tasks already? I might lag a month behind and make March my core month... finally got some Darkshards built out and the armor basecoat on this week. What was March's challenge to be?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

March is free choice for Duckman5 :D

But everyone needs to state what they are going to paint early!

Myself I'm going to paint some kitbash cultists for my board game I have been working on.
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Hmm.. I could do just about anything for march. Maybe this is the month to finish something I have been stalling.

Gargantula perhaps?

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes please - love that model!
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Cultofkhaine wrote:March is free choice for Duckman5 :D

Noice :lol:
Got hands and faces basecoated and almost all the crossbows, making progress!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Here is my work for Feb - a few days late, but I managed to complete some extras.

I'm especially proud of how the Salamander and Razordon turned out - they were a nice conversion from the old Col One body and New Hydra bits.
Attachments
IMG_5463.JPG
IMG_5464.JPG
IMG_5460.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5450.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG
IMG_5447.JPG
IMG_5445.JPG
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Wow very cool conversions and striking colour scheme. Beautiful paintjob in such a short time!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm working on 5 Blood Warriors and a secret weapon for my Bloodbound.
I hope to get them basecoated by the weekend. After their basecoats I might switch to another batch of 10 Blood Warriors and a hero, since I'll be needing them by next month. If time permits it, I might finish their highlights first, but I have no idea if that option will be available.

Current status: finished their skin (including highlights since those have to be finished first), basecoated the trims. But now I have yet to basecoat the red, the silver, the brown, the black and the grey.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Here is my work for this month - I knocked these out fairly quickly! Might be able to squeeze in another project for the month.

They are Cultists for my Slaves of Corruption faction in the board game I am creating.

"These cloaked fanatics wield curved wicked blades coated with deadly toxins and offer blood sacrifices to seek their dark gods favour."
Attachments
Cultists-After.JPG
Cultists-Before.JPG
Sabious
Executioner

Post by Sabious »

Those are just cultist spot on. Great look to them. You know not to get too near those guys :)
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

My dryads are late because I had to travel for 2 weeks for work :/ I'll get them finished this week hopefully. For March Im going to paint up an Orc team for Blood Bowl.

Everyone's work looks great so far though!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

And, having finally come out of two months of moving-related hell, I'm going to see if I can't get some Liberators done for March.

Also, fantastic work on all the stuff posted since the end of January. I was particularly fond of Daeron's Dark Riders and CoK's Lizardmen, wish I could manage that level of detail and skill on a whole unit/force!
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Lots of cool and inspiring stuff here!

I particularly love Cult's Lizardmen and the converted Razordon and Salamander :shock:
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks TD - it good fun to paint something in such a bright colour scheme for a change. Nice use of bits as well :D
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Thanks TD - it good fun to paint something in such a bright colour scheme for a change. Nice use of bits as well :D

You gave new life to those bits 8)
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Finally made a color choice for the Darkshards, a mix of Evil Sunz Scarlett and black and loving the way it looks! Got half the unit (8) painted this way last night, hoping to finish basecoating before next week.

mod edit: fixed the link. to get the right image link, right click the image and "copy image address" (or something along those lines)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The good old repeater crossbows \o/
I still love that miniature, and still have 50 of them to build and paint \o/
It's a nice theme and clean execution.

If you don't mind a recommendation, I'd try to add a tad more colour. Red and silver works nicely, but you can easily integrate some other colours that will reinforce the theme and still add diversity. IE: a red-brown leather for the belt and boots would look great without taking away from the striking red. It will also mix easily with gold, which would also be great to use for commands or elite units.

- The stiff breeze
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Thanks for fixing the link! I'll do it right next time :)
Thanks also for the advice, it is very welcome! I am very new to painting so I'll take all the help I can get. I love the idea of mixing some red and brown together, I had been struggling to come up with ways to diversify my belts/straps etc color. Each Darkshard has a separate piece of cloth hanging off their middle section and down one side that I was planning to paint a different color and cannot decide what would look best. Should I keep it tones of red or do something altogether different? The Fang blue would fit some other models I've done in my army but is a pretty stark contrast. I was also thinking of painting it white with some blood splatters (as though it was recently used to clean blood off a blade), but worry that it will look too bright/tacky.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice work Duckman - how are you going to base them?