Lord Drakon Battle Reports

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Marchosias
Assassin

Re: Lord Drakon Battle Reports

Post by Marchosias »

Dammit, I was convinced the stubborn in forest for skirmishers rule is not in force anymore but I was wrong - I have found the rule now in the rulebook. :)
Skink braves are Ld5, it is not that difficult for them to fail their stubborn even though they are cold blooded. Maybe you played it right.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Also what are your first thoughts on this list?

Prince, Raptor, Beastmaster, Heavy Armor, Shield, Ogre Sword, Dragonscale Helm, Amulet of Spite, RXB - 634
Cult Priest, Cult of Yema, Battle Standard Bearer, Divine Altar, Paired Weapons, Gladiator Weapon, Ring of Fire, Banner of Speed - 730

14 Blades of Nabh, Champion - 372
14 Blades of Nabh - 352
5 Dark Raiders, RXB - 200

21 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 562
6 Raptor Knights, Champion, Standard, War Standard - 382
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180

5 Dark Acolytes, Yema, Champion - 390
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Well, I don't really feel qualified to assess that. :)

I am not sure the idea with 6 raptor knights + general is that good. Such a bunker is quite small - one dead knight and the general can get shot down with a cannon. I would either make the knights bigger or the general independent.

Also, I am not convinced about the general's build:
- his beastmaster upgrade only helps himslef and the six knights - is it worth the cost?
- getting some use out of the amulet of spite has to be very difficult - unless you manage to park him right in a wizard's bunker or the enemy is castled tightly the enemy should be able to move away from your guy before he attempts to cast. 12 inches range is not much.
- neither ward / regen nor divine icon - because of the points spent on amulet of spite he is considerably weaker in combat than he could. Also, he doesn't use all his magic points allowance, does he? If you take a combat lord you normally either tool him up the best you can (to make him really a beast) or you keep him as cheap as possible (since he will still be quite dangerous and you spare points). I don't see much reason for the kind of middle ground you chose.

Also, some magic defence (aether icon / crown of scorn) is worth considering.

On the other hand, I like your BSB build. :) And I like that your dancers have M7 + strider + swiftstride. Quite interested in seeing whether your opponents will try to avoid them and how successful will they be. Hopefully they won't. :)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

The raider jumped out of his saddle, marching towards the large battle tent of his commander. Most knew him by the nickname of 'Black Feather' and he was indeed the best spy of the entire legion. The guards immediately recognized him and allowed entrance, as the black feather always comes with news.

Lord Drakon was surrounded by his knights discussing the most likeable positions for undiscovered temples to be plundered. "My lord, Black Feather said with a strong voice; I have urgent news." Immediately the battle council was adjourned and only the knight commander Khaled the Collector remained at the side of his patron. "What news do you bring this time feather?" Lord Drakon asked with no sign of emotion in his dark eyes. "A Saurus battle host has been sent to stop us my lord. It is commanded by a deadly Warlord on Carnosaur with lots of flying fighters at this side. They have not yet tracked us and it might be possible for us to ambush them, my lord". Lord Drakon nodded, informing that he had understood the message and the raider could now leave.

"Order the Brotherhood to position at the far flank behind the hill, we will take a strategic position near that mountain" Drakon commanded Khaled. "At once, my lord" Khaled responded while leaving the tent. Ofcourse Drakon could never show his fear to his brave Druchii, but he had a bad feeling about this expedition. Last night he foresaw his death in his dreams, suffocating by the deadly jungle poisons. "Not today" he reminded himself, and prepared to gear up once again...

Introduction
Greetings!

Welcome again at my battle report + list building blog. This time I faced the epic Saurus Ancients of my friend DeGroteBaas. We played 4500 points and I wanted to test out my new list! This battle is already from several weeks ago but I want to report on every battle I play. I just graduated so will have more time the coming months, I hope to get some more battles going like once a week. Now the list building process exceeds the testing them out in battle!

Friendly list
My list was:

Prince, Raptor, Beastmaster, Heavy Armor, Shield, Ogre Sword, Dragonscale Helm, Amulet of Spite, RXB - 634
Cult Priest, Cult of Yema, Battle Standard Bearer, Divine Altar, Paired Weapons, Gladiator Weapon, Ring of Fire, Banner of Speed - 730

14 Blades of Nabh - 352

21 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 562
6 Raptor Knights, Champion, Standard, War Standard - 382
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180

The basics of the list has remained the same with the Dancer of Yema horde as my main combat block. However I got two units of Blades of Nabh to bring a lot of poison attacks to the table! I wanted to try out the Amulet of Spite as an original way of magical defense. Instead of Ring of Shadows the BSB now has Banner of Speed and Ring of Fire, giving me another spell while making the horde M7 with swiftride! As supporting combat unit I also have a small unit of knights that are joined by the general.

Enemy list
His list was:

Warlord, Carnosaur, Sword of Strength, Distracting, Heavy Armour, 4++, Potion of Speed, Shield -
Skink, BSB, Skullsplitter -
Skink, Terradon, Hardened Shield, Spear, Bolt Thrower -
Skink, LVL 3 Shamanism, Jade staf, Scroll of Shielding -

30 Saurus, Full Command -
16 Skink Braves, Standard, Musician, Kroxigor -

7 Kroxigors -
3 Rippers, Shields -
3 Rippers, Shields -
2 Spearbacks -
1 Spearback -
1 Salamander -
1 Stegadon -

The opponent brings his typical Saurus list with at least two Rippers and Terradon hero, lots of Warbeasts, a wall brick of 30 Saurus reinforced by a mighty Stegadon, 7 Kroxigors and his personal favourite the Warlord on Carnosaur. For magic he brings a LVL 3 skink with Shamanism, a lore I am struggling a lot with, especially with things such as Totem Beast.

Pre-game thoughts
I especially fear his spearbacks and salamander as I knew what damage they can do to my soft elves. Normally these are also the game makers in our battles, so this time my plan was to delete them ASAP! Secondly he is very skilled in getting into my backfield to kill the RBT with his Rippers, Terradon hero or Totem Beast, I somehow needed to stop this. Then the Saurus, hmm, it is a brick wall, but I should be able to take it 1 to 1 with my Dancers Horde. I was especially planning to work very careful with my chaff this battle as this is one of the crucial things I need to improve my play with. Because he has often trapped my Dancer horde into a Saurus-trap then flanking it with his hammer, this time I was planning to outflank him.

Magic
He got the signature (+1 strength or tougness), 5 D6 strength 1 hits and -1 to hit with dangerous terrain on 2's. Not optimal spells, especially because he does not have Totem Beast :D. However I am always jealous on that signature spell as a Dread Elf. I got my auto-spells Ring of Fire and Dark Acolytes of Yema.

Deployment
He won the roll to deploy and started with a Salamander.

Terrain
The battlefield had an interesting terrain, with a big mountain at the left flank and big hill at my side at the right flank while the centre was open for movement and shooting. My plan was to hold the left flank while the Dancing Horde would get into the flank of his forces, hopefully allowing the Blades of Nabh for a flank charge.

He deployed according to my placements and I decided I could get a lot of gain from a first time focusing on his Salamander and Spearback so deployed my whole force showing him my battle plan. Therefore he deployed the rest of his forces at the left flank. Especially his Terradon hero and Rippers could get close to the RBT with their vanguard, also deploying my whole force could stop him from the now typical vanguard 12" + 20" sweep of his flyers advance.

I also deployed my Raven Cloaks as close as possible to his left flank flyers to prevent a vanguard, as I could retreat them again in my first turn out of danger. These little things are the ones I was happy about with this battle and hope to keep improving in this kind of thinking. Another note about my deployment is that I made nice little shooting gaps between my units for my RBT, thinking ahead.

I did not rolled a 1 and could indeed get first turn! Nice. We shake hands and so it begins...

Turn 1 - Dread Elves

Like a typical Dread Elf raiding force I advance aggressively to inflict some damage! Warlocks get into position to kill his Terradon hero, BSB with horde to get a fireball into his Spearback and Dark Raiders to add 10 shots to the combined RBT fire on his salamander. Raven Cloaks retreat, making it difficult for them to shoot anything this turn but making them usefull for the rest of the game. I place the chaff supporting the Horde safe behind a hill. Unfortunately I do make a mistake with the movement of knights and general, as my intention was to close entrance through that gap. By doing this I devote them to one side, making them inflexible which is a mistake, while also offering their flank to both the bolt throwers of the Terradon hero and Stegadon. I did not thought about these dangers so will need to learn from this mistake!

Great first winds of magic. Enemy dispells The Grave Calls, but I get both Breath of Corruption and Fireball off. Fireball inflicts two wounds on the right spearback while Acolytes will be able to get 2D6 toxic attacks on his Teradon hero next phase, a great start! Following this battle report I am very satisfied with my magic phases, this is interesting because I only investing 170 points in magic and most fellow commanders on the forum say: go big or go home.

The toxic attacks of the Acolytes inflict two wounds on the Terradon hero, but fail only just in killing it. Combined shooting of RBT and Dark Raiders finish his salamander. First unit killed! I always love it when I manage to kill enemy ranged threats in my first turn. Salamander dead, both spearback and terradon hero left on 1 wound. Great first turn.

Turn 1 - Saurus Ancients
He charges the Dark Raiders and Acolytes who flee. His forces shuffle around a bit while his wounded Terradon hero is sacrificed to try optimize the knight mistake with his bolt thrower. Stegadon also moves to shoot while his Ripper at the right flank set up for rear charge of the Horde when needed. He moves his wounded spearback within range of the horde while the unit of two advances slowly through the mountain pass.

He rolls very low for magic and does not manage to get a spell off.

His wounded spearback manages to kill to Dancers (there are actually in that forest that was supposed to be on the hill) and his gamble does not pay off, his Terradon hero misses! But then his Stegadon rolls a 6 to hit, and manages to kill all knights but one because of the now armour saves :shock:

Turn 2 - Dread Elves
Both Acolytes and Dark Raiders flee. The Dancers horde marches 14" again to get into the enemy flanks, followed by both Dark Raiders to finish the Spearback this turn. The Blades advance while Raven Cloaks retreat further while also getting into shooting position to finish the Terradon hero. General and last knight retreat as far as possible.

I do get the fireball off again and finish the spearback.

Unfortunately I am not that lucky this turn with shooting and he saves the wound I inflict. His hero lives for another turn!

Turn 2 - Saurus Ancients
His Rippers charge the Dark Raiders on the hill, who flee. With the unit nearly dead his left Rippers see their chance to break through to eat the RBT and advance. Also his Terradon hero gets into charge position of the RBT while able to shoot the general + knight this turn. Spearbacks also move up to shoot while Carnosaur warlord moves into position.

He manages to get 5D6 S1 hits on my RBT, but only inflict two wounds. He does shoot with -1 to hit for rest of the game if I do not move.

Terradon hero misses again, but the Spearbacks inflict a lot of wounds. Fortunately the general survives on a single wound.

Turn 3 - Dread Elves
The general and Acolytes combo-charge into his Rippers while the Dancer horde now reaches the enemy deployment zone and are in his flank. The unit of Blades of Nabh advances to bit to be able to get into the flanks of the Saurus with combo charge of the Dancers of Yema while one unit of Dark Raiders redirect his Saurus. Other chaff is waiting safely and patiently to redirect.

Breath of Corruption is dispelled but I do get another fireball off, the third this battle! And inflict a wound on the Stegadon.

Finally the combined firepower of RBT kill the Terradon hero, while the Raven Cloaks inflict the first wound on the Spearbacks.

The general and Acolytes are still able to inflict a lot of wounds and kill all but one of the Rippers leaving it on 2 wounds. In return he does not manage to finish my general and flees. Here I make a mistake. I do pursuit with my Acolytes, which will get them in a very nice position and because they have Yema do not have to take dangerous terrain tests. But I do not pursuit with my general, because of fear of the dangerous terrain test. However this would have a lot more benefits than negatives. 1. another chance to catch the Rippers 2. to get him out of range of those spearbacks, making it more likely to survive 3. getting him close to the enemy caster, allowing the small possibility his Amulet might become usefull. Unfortunately I do not catch them and the Acolytes move against the mountain.

Turn 3 - Saurus Ancients

It does starts to look good for the Dread Elves however as I have succesfully encircled his force. I think the situation is becoming a bit desperate now for the Saurus, which might have led to his charges. He charges the Stegadon and Rippers into the Dancers horde and his Carnosaur into the Acolytes, who ofcourse flee, and then try to redirect into the flank of the forward Blades, needing a 12 to make it. Unfortunately he gets lucky and makes it! However, that unit has a champion, so I might block his advance there and get some poison at him! Saurus charge the redirecting Raiders.

His magic is bad yet again.

Combined firepower inflict that final wound on the general, that dies!

The Stegadon only kills a single Dancers with his Impact Hits because of the 4+ ward saves, and both Rippers and Stegadon are killed by the attacks of the Dancers and BSB in return. What is your next move now eh? The Carnosaur discovers to his surprise the Blades had a champion so the Blades hold on steadfast. Unfortunately he does take out my flank charger for the Saurus! Blades do reform for more attacks in my turn.

Turn 4 - Dread Elves
Dancer horde charge his Saurus, but I roll extremely low and fail the charge, twice. Blades charge in the flank of the Carnosaur. Acolytes rally while Raven Cloaks get into short range of the Spearbacks. Harpies are placed to protect the Dancers of a counter-attack from Saurus.

First turn I do not manage to get some magic off.

Combined shooting of the Raven Cloaks and RBT kills the first spearback while inflict a wound on the other.

In combat I get a lot of attacks, however he has higher WS and distracting, so only 11 hits, of which 7 poison. Hits fail to wound but still 7 poison. Unfortunately he saves all of them, so no wounds on his general yet. This time he gets to thunderstomp and wins combat, also both units of Blades fail their LD test and flee! He catches the big unit of 14 running towards the RBT. Not good..

Turn 4 - Saurus Ancients
His Carnosaur charges into the RBT while the Saurus charge the Harpies. His Kroxigors are now without danger and advance to get into flank of Dancers.

Nothing special again in the magic phase.

His last Spearback fails to inflict any damage on the Acolytes.

Both the Saurus easily dispatch the Harpies (who kill two!) and Carnosaur the RBT, overrunning into position for the second RBT next turn. The battle situation has changed a lot, unfortunately now into the Saurus favour.

Turn 5 - Dread Elves
But the Dancers can still save the day as they are experts in killing Kroxigors and those Skinks will also not be a problem. Ofcourse in order to do this there first needs to be a brick wall to be demolished. They charge into the Saurus Wall! Last unit of Dark Raiders redirect the Kroxigors (battle diagram has a mistake, they could flank charge Dancers next turn).

Also the Acolytes could still save the day by killing the Carnosaur with a good magic phase! I roll 8 dice, nice! Learned from my last battle I first rolled for the Grave Calls with 5 dice (he has 6) and roll two 6's. This is very nice because his dispell roll was already higher, but because of the double 6 I get to roll another dice and not gets it through. After casting it I also sacrificed two Blades to make it S6. This could do it!! I rolled 9 hits, 4 wounds, but he saves all again. Hmm... The miscast makes them panic and they run off the table. Not good.

The last RBT misses the Carnosaur, but the Raven Cloaks kill the last Spearback.

OK, the COMBAT that was going to decide either the victory or the loss. He passes his fear test, unfortunately I forget all this time he needs to take his LD tests with only 2 dice because of the Yema rule negating his Saurus leadership tests. This might have been crucial so note to myself to not forget this anymore! Impact hits kill 5, BSB another 2, 18 Dancers another 7 (especially the parry being annoying), only 14 Saurus left! In return he also hits and wounds me on 3's, with predator strike and the Saurus prove why there are a brick wall: 19 wounds, of which I only save 9 and 10 Dancers die! This also means I only just lost my second rank by 1 model and he is steadfast within BSB reach! Noooo! He passes his test and I am stuck. Not good!

Turn 5 - Saurus Ancients
In his turn the Carnosaur charges in the last RBT while the Kroxigors charge the last unit redirectors of Dark Raiders.

In the magic phase he manages to get both 5+ regen from the jade staff en +1 tougness on the Saurus. His might magic might have been bad throughout the game, unfortunately he had a crucial good one in the end.

The Kroxigors and Carnosaur easily dispatch their opponents. With only 8 Dancers left in combatination of the BSB I manage to only inflict four wounds of which two are saved. In return he kills 4 Dancers. I lose combat but stick for another round.

Turn 6 - Dread Elves
The Blades of Nabh rally. As you can see we both had forgotten the last Ripper, so Raven Cloaks try some shots on the Warlord on Carnosaur but fail to inflict any damage.

With the T5 and 5+ regen it is hard to kill those already strong Saurus and I only manage to kill another 2. He kills all Dancers in return. I again lose combat but pass my LD test. Unfortunately he also made all his LD tests for fear every round.

Turn 6 - Saurus Ancients

The Kroxigers charge into the flank of the BSB. Carnosaur tries to get some last points by charging the Blades of Nabh but fails the charge.

While the BSB makes a great last combat round killing a Kroxigor and two Saurus, it gets utterly destroyed by the counter attacks of the Kroxigors.

Result
0 - 20 loss!

He massacred me with only 5 Raven Cloaks and 4 Blades of Nabh alive. I killed 3 Spearbacks, 1 Salamander, 3 Rippers, 1 Stegadon, 1 Terradon Skink and halved his Saurus and second Ripper unit for around 1870 points, nog enough!

Post-Game Thoughts
It was a great game! I really liked my list besides for the glaring weakness of the general with 6 knights. We discussed and as he also plays Dread Elves explained about how it is too small, as can easily be taken out some knights and then general is unprotected. 30 Saurus might also have been a bit too ambitious with only 18 Dancers left as I quickly lost my combat power after receiving punishment. Also against Saurus it was the first time I found that the +1 to hit from the flails mattered a lot, so might swap to great weapons again against them. They need to have at least 26 models for the goal I want them to have, and should be teamed up with a flanker such as a Kraken or Raptor Chariot. I really liked the perfomance of the BSB, he just brings so much to the table. Blessings, impact hits, some S6 hits, 15 bodies for ranking purposes, fear that needs to be tested with 3D6, magical missile and ofcourse M7 with swiftride for my dangerous horde. I am not sure if I got most out of my chaff but feel I played a good chaff and shooting game this game. Magic was also really nice, just a bit unfortunate that the big Grave Calls on the Carnosaur failed to inflict some wounds or even kill it. This is the same for the Blades of Nabh, but they had a very difficult target in the first place. Again, great game! And I would love to hear your feedback and critique on the game ofcourse!

MVP

The Cult Priest BSB on Divine Altar played a very diverse and great role this game, inflicting damage on the enemy 5 of the 6 turns!

Sacrifice for Khaine

The Raptor Knights failed to survive before reaching combat, so I am indeed convinced they need to be deployed in bigger units or stay home.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

There are currently three options for the list I want to continue with, they will need some testing what sort of list I prefer! They all have the M7 Dancers of Yema horde as basic with similar chaff and supporting units.

The heavy magic Alchemy + Corsair option. Coolest thing: Assassin
Oracle, Wizard Master, 4 Learned Spell, Alchemy, Wandering Familiar, Axe of Battle, Sprout of Rebirth - 610
Assassin, Cult of Nabh, Path of Bloody Murder, Midnight Cloak, Nigthshade Poison, Paired Weapons - 482

28 Corsairs, Full Command, Flaming Standard, Paired Weapons, Repeater Handbows - 737

26 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 672
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Raptor Chariot - 190

Total: 4491

The Heavy Combat option. Coolest thing: 3 Chariots.
Captain, Raptor Chariot, Lance, Midnight Cloak, Shield, Heavy Armour, RXB - 424
Cult Priest, Cult of Yema, Battle Standard Bearer, Divine Altar, Paired Weapons, Gladiator Weapons, Ring of Fire, Banner of Speed - 730

30 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 760
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Raptor Chariot - 190
1 Raptor Chariot - 190

Total: 4498 points

The Balanced option. Coolest thing: 19 Repeater Auxiliaries with Cosmology.
Captain, Raptor Chariot, Lance, Midnight Cloak, Shield, Heavy Armour - 416
Oracle, 2 Learned Spell, Cosmology, Shielding Scroll - 280

10 Blades of Nabh - 260
19 Repeater Auxiliaries, Full Command, Icon of the Relentless Company - 470

27 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 694
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Raptor Chariot - 190

I like all three of them as they each have their own feeling based on investment in particular phase.

1. Magic
2. Combat
3. Shooting and Magical Defense

Which one do you like the most and why?
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Thanks for the report! Quite an intense game no doubt. I have read it several days ago so my analysis won't be too detailed this time but still, a few oh so enlightened insights:

- Turn 2: was there a way to position your DR2 further away from the rippers without hindering their shooting? While I understand killing the spearback was important, a unit not fleeing means one less Ld test for you.

- Turn 3, carnosaur charging blades: I wonder if challenging was really the correct choice. Expected outcome with challenge: in his turn, he kills the champion. In your turn, he makes the unit flee and reforms. In his following turn, he charges something valuable (like the dancers). Alternative with no challenge: in his turn, he makes the unit flee and reforms. In your turn, you avoid and redirect as necessary. In his turn, he does nothing of importance.

- Turn 4: I wonder if redirecting the saurus with raven cloaks after the failed charge was needed. You wanted the combat to happen anyway; by redirecting, you only got the benefit of impact hits that can't be relied on anyway. Not redirecting would have saved the cloaks for some shooting or redirecting a turn later (it would have meant that you could have redirected kroxigors first with raven cloaks and then with DR, preventing them getting in combat with dancers altogether). Furthermore, if the saurus charged you the combat would have been happening further away from the kroxies, making them even less likely to make an impact.
Alternatively, now or Turn 5, you could have maybe tried to go around the saurus and threaten the skink priest instead. In theory, you could have scored some nice points that way without the saurus to fight at all. While the saurus are worth a lot of points they are also difficult to defeat so the safer approach might have had its worth. Of course, not sure if you had enough movement to do so.

- Turn 5, miscasting acolytes: Is there not a rule that you flee from the nearest opposing unit? That would be the carnosaur. (When having been shot at, you flee from the source of the damage but this is not the case.)

- Turn 5: I would have probably moved the acolytes to the centre instead, to magic and possibly charge some kroxigors. Killing the general with 2 spells and one bolt thrower is not very probable while casting the grave calls on kroxigors would have caused some casualties for sure, maybe even inflicting a panic test.
Something similar I would say for the left raven cloaks. They would have probably been more useful more to the centre. More options what to shoot at and a chance to redirect something.

- General comment - carnosaur handling: I think relying on blades was a mistake - has he not a 2+ armour save? The blades cannot receive lethal strike from altar (wrong cult) so their chances of doing anything are very slim. Maybe starting to shoot at him earlier would have been better? One lucky single shot could have convinced him to stay out of trouble. But then again, for a lucky single shot you need to get lucky (what a surprise :D ) so I don't really know.

Anyway, good game and even better report. Keep them coming!

And one last thing: congratulations to your graduation! :)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thanks! I was waiting for your loyal response, thank you for the feedback yet again haha! I really like the comments and suggestions and will take this into accounts, especially how I handled the Carnosaur or played the Dancer - Saurus matchup. Again thank you for the feedback every report! :D

I will look for the rule, I can also remember something like that. Blades do get the Lethal blessing from the altar, this might be something new with this version, but there is no rule that states that other cult members will not benefit from a cult altar.

I played another game against Orcs and Goblins and scored a win this time, with my newest list! Battle report will follow soon :)
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Introduction
Greetings!

Last week I faced the Orcs and Goblins of Leon, who also plays the Vermin Swarm army I played against several times. Because our regular gaming club has been closed I visited the gaming club Gamers of the West in Rotterdam, which was a great place with nice hosts. I will play there again for sure! He took his non-optimized list against the my now optimized combat option of the list, with three chariots. It was my first time playing with chariots so was curious how it would go.

Friendly list
I brough the following list:

[+] SPOILER
Captain, Raptor Chariot, Lance, Midnight Cloak, Shield, Heavy Armour, RXB - 424
Cult Priest, Cult of Yema, Battle Standard Bearer, Divine Altar, Paired Weapons, Gladiator Weapons, Ring of Fire, Banner of Speed - 730

30 Dancers of Yema, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 760
5 Harpies - 130
5 Raven Cloaks, AHW- 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Dread Reaper - 180
1 Raptor Chariot - 190
1 Raptor Chariot - 190

Total: 4498 points

I really like the feeling of this list, as the Chariots provide another deployment drops but also add some shock combat to the infantry units. While minimal investment in magic I have found it very effective so far, so was looking forward to how it would go this battle.

Enemy list
[+] SPOILER
Feral Warlod
Feral Chief BSB
Cave Goblin Shaman LVL 4 - Phyromancy
Goblin on Cave Gnasher
40 Feral Orc Eadbashers
40 Goblins with bows and two Fanatics
20 Gnasher Herd
1 Gnashing Wrecking Team
1 Gnashing Wrecking Team
Splatterer Catapult
Gargantula
Giant
Giant

Even while non-optimized I felt this list could bring a lot of pain to the table! Especially his LVL 4 Phyromancy and Catapult was something I really wanted to kill as largest threats to my army. I felt my 30 Dancers with BSB were not able to kill his super killy Warlord (forgot the equipment) together with 40 or even 50 Feral Orc Easbashers. However both the Giants and Gargantula seemed something I should be easily able to get down because of low or even no saves. Although the enemy explained about the Gnashing Wrecking Teams I did not realized I should stay away from them as far as possible.

Pre-game thoughts
My plan was to send the Dancers at a flank towards the big unit of Goblin Archers and chaff the big frenzied block until I could combo charge it. The Blades of Nabh would be perfect counters against the Giants and Gargantula combined with the artillery shooting. Raven Cloaks could possibly get close to the Catapult if enemy let a gap open.

Magic
While I had the basic three damage spells, the opponent rolled for Cascading Fire (all enemy models in base contact S4 hit), Immolation (round diameter doing damage), Flamings Swords (+1 wound modifier) and Enveloping Embers (all models S4 hit). While the last spells can be extremely painful against the Dancers as I experienced before, it is great he does not have the two damage spells to overpower me and kill a chaff unit each turn.

Terrain
We randomized the terrain from each corner and got an interesting set up. I got to choose the side. Both sides had a hill and forest while one forest was in the far corner with a great position over open field, while also a hill in the middle on the terrain of which units could possibly get a +1 when charging. Therefore I deployed in the south corner (this was also a bit laziness as we normally do in casual games and just take the side we start unpacking with). The enemy did had a nice impassable terrain which did not blocked line of sight in front of his centre.

Deployment
While we are testing each other with the early drops I developed the battle plan. Because of the great shooting position the Reapers had I placed a Chariot to threaten that area while the remaining force was focused on the centre to be able to respond to anything that would come too close. The opponent made use of the impassable terrain with his Archers and Catapult and I decided to advance the Dancers horde from the left flank to them, the place the second Giant was deployed. After about 5 drops I deployed my whole force to get the first turn, something I started to appreciate recently with the combination of vanguarding Dark Raiders and the turn 1 Acolytes blitzkrieg. I wanted to take out the flying character as soon as possible with a Acolyte blitzkrieg as I deemed that the biggest threat to my artillery. I also deployed Harpies opposite his Catapult so they could threaten the warmachine, however because of improving my chaff play I already planned the chaff to be defensive. Shades were deployed to just provide some extra bolts against the Giant.

Turn 1 - Dread Elves
The Dancers march forwards aggressively while the Acolytes get into position of a blitzkrieg on the flying character, they also get just within range of the second Giant but unfortunately I forget this directly. I hide my Harpies behind the Dancers as I made up my mind for them, redirecting the frenzied Eadbashers in the crucial turn. It might be the case that this led me to play the left Raiders too defensively (now just shooting Eadbashers and wait to also redirect) because I now see I should have send them forward to threaten the Catapult for some target saturation as now the Acolytes would be the only logical target for magic and goblin shooting in his turn. This also counts for the right Raiders, as they might have reached a position opposite the Archers but outside of big horde charge arc. Instead I advance them towards the flank to be able to get behind enemy lines when enemy advances.

I roll 8 dice, 5 for the enemy, perfect start as this is all I need to cast all my spells (even with 7 with a bit more risk). I first start with a 2 dice fireball on his Giant, which he let go. The fireball and attribute inflict three wounds on the Giant, nice! Then Breath of Corruption on the Acolytes with again 2 dice, with 9 total. He knows he must either stop this spell and will be defenseless against the Grave Calls, so also let it go through. Then for the Grave I roll 4 dice against his 5, but roll double 6 and get it through, killing the flying character! Amazing magic phase, especially for a first turn! I roll low for my miscast but lose two Acolytes, they hold on the BSB re-roll.

As I will discover in my turn I made a mistake with my targets though, as the Giant could be killed in combat while the Wrecking Teams should be killed from a distance first no matter what.

Again I want to emphasize how much I like my magic with this list. Only investment of 120 total in Magic, while both casters have amazing saves and are extremely difficult to kill with ranged attacks and minimum miscast negatives. Because they are so cheap, with all sized Winds of Magic I can usually get at least 1 spell through, while it is often more than 1. While I should have given more target saturation with the Raiders, in the end it does not matter. Unfortunately at this point I am so satisfied again with killing the first unit in my turn that I forgot the Breath of Corruption.

Because with the Breath of Corruption it would have been very likely I could finish off that Giant! However my other shooting is focused on the Easbashers, and kills off 6.

Turn 1 - Orcs and Goblins
The Eadbashers start with a false start and fail their frenzy test even with the BSB re-roll so charge the right Dark Raiders who flee. A bit risky towards the table edge but I did not wanted to take any risks of getting his Horde that far so soon. One of the Wrecking Teams get into the Dancers with 3D6 random movement and I find out what they actually are! Fanatics on steroids! He kills the first rank of Dancers, I think around 6. Fortunately the other does not make it. His big monsters on the right get out of cover and advance aggressive towards my lines, while he keeps defensive on the left.

Fortunately he gets a low magic roll and I manage to stop him from getting a spell through!

He starts with the Catapult on the Dancer Horde and scores a full hit and inflicts a wound on the BSB, who fails her 4+ ward save. Three wounds, two to go, ouch! But because of their ranks the blast damage is also big, killing another rank of around 6 Dancers, already halving the unit! Question, do you need to take panic test for actual models or the footprint? Then 40 shots and 4 skullsplitter from the Shaman on the 3 Acolytes, inflicting 5 wounds, but I save 3, and the Champion lives. As the Acolytes tend to be both painful and extremely difficult to kill by this particular enemy the survival of this champion yet again is a frustration. I pass my panic test and he will be able to continue blitzkrieging next turn :)

Turn 2 - Dread Elves
I doubt a bit about charging the second Wrecking team with the Dancers, but since they are already halved and I now know they are Fanatics on steroids I decide to just place it 1" from it while trying it to kill it with magic and shooting this turn. Especially after the Catapult damage last turn I take the gamble with the last Acolyte to get within 12" and kill it this turn. I know he has his Fanatics inside that unit so it needs to work this turn, I did not suspected him to survive after this turn actually. All my other forces are moved to free out two nice firing lines for my Dread Reapers, while the Chariots could also take a shot on the Wrecking team. Dark Raiders rally and get back to my lines.

I roll 5 for magic and channel 1, starting again with a fireball, this time on the Wrecking Team, inflicting the first two wounds. I really really like this item, as a fireball solves so many problems, it is also great on the BSB, making her useful in and outside combat. Unfortunately the Blitzkrieg gamble does not work. I roll with four dice, and so does he. He does roll lower! But I only get 11 power dice, one short of the needed 12, so the Catapult lives...

I manage to already kill the Wrecking Team (very soft actually) with the general and crew crossbow shots, so the artillery is able to focus fire on the Giant, inflicting 3 wounds! Cloaks and Raiders inflict another one, nearly dead. Very nice.

Turn 2 - Orcs and Goblins

Unfortunately my creating the firing line for my artillery on the Wrecking team I deployed my right Chariot a bit too far forwards, so especially the Gargantua only needs a 7-8 to charge it. It indeed charges, together with the Giant. While the Gargantua makes the charge, the Giant does not. The surviving Wrecking Team is now moving out of control into the other direction, great. The left Giant sacrifices himself as chaff for the Dancers while the Cave Gnobles advance a bit for possible counter-charge I guess. Big Eadbasher horde marchers as far forwards as possible. He shuffles his Archer Goblin 2" closer to my Acolyte Champion to give his Mad Gits a sure chance as he is now only within 6". He does make the mistake from not swift reforming to be able to also shoot it, but this might also be a bit logical as we both expected the Acolyte to be doomed.

He gets the #6 spell off in the Dancers, killing another 3, while killing 2 Dark Raiders with the attribute, ouch! I really do not like fire magic as the perfect anti-elven lore.

He launches his Mad Gits, and first rolls a 5.. HUH! Then the other: 4..! :D The Acolyte LIVES! I am ofcourse really happy and he is not and might be developing some deep frustration against this unit as it will just not DIE! The Archers and Shaman are also not able to shoot it, so kill another Raider instead. Another chance to kill that bloody Catapult. The Catapult itself does not insta-kill but hits on the second roll, killing another 3 Dancers.

Then combat, as also here we both expect the Chariot to be trampled under the gigantic spider. But indeed hitting on 4's, wounding on 5's and 6's while having 3+ AS. While I inflict 1 wound with the Raptors, he also inflict a single wound and I lose combat with just 1! I roll 8 and because he is stupid immune to fear, thank you stupidity! Amazing, because a great poisoned counter-attack of 14 Blades of Nabh in the flank is never nice for such a monster! I think this turn was the decisive turn, as now I could bring the pain to the table!

Turn 3 - Dread Elves
Dancers Horde charge into the Giant, while re-roll charge Blessing both the Blades of Nabh and Chariot charge into the Cave Gnoblers, and the Chariot makes it. The other Blades charge into the flank of the Gargantua. Heroic acolyte gets behind Goblins and close to the Catapult. Shades and Dark Raiders move closer to take off the last wound on the Giant. Harpies get into position to redirect the frenzied horde while the now small unit of Raiders get into position to do it next turn. Because Dancers are already damaged badly I send my general on chariot also towards the Archer unit to be sure.

I roll 4 for winds of magic, while enemy only gets 2, but channels a third. Perfect, because that is all I need ;) I cast the Grave, it is not dispelled and I inflict 9 wounds, killing the Catapult. Even better, I panic the 40 Goblins with Shaman! :shock: But he then realized the Cold-Blooded test for hordes, and passes the re-roll. Well done Acolyte!

Unfortunately both the Dread Reapers miss their shots, but the Raven Cloaks finish off the Giant.

Combat! The BSB easily dispatches the Giant, reforming towards the Archers. The Chariot has a nice impact and kills around 6 enemies, while they fail to inflict any damage in return. They lose combat and explode, doing three wounds to the Chariot that overruns but only manages to get 2" in front of the Archers instead of a nice second impact. Then the Blades of Nabh, 29 poison attacks hitting on 3's, rolling a loooot of 1's and 2's, but hatred gives them re-roll. At this point I already have 9 poison. Another 4 wounds. He saves some wounds, but not enough, the Gargantula is dead! Blades overrun and Chariot reforms to threaten flank of horde.

A really big turn, killing 5 units, and at this point a Dread Elf victory was clear. Really appreciate the enemy played until the end as I also always do myself, because his situation is a bit hopeless now with two units left.

Turn 3 - Orcs and Goblins
The deadly horde charge into the Harpies. The Wrecking team moves randomly towards the board edge while the Fanatics (Mad Gits) move away from the Goblins, so this pleases the enemy. His shaman gets outside the unit to shoot the Acolyte himself. I get the hope he will fail again and the Acolyte is going to become immortal to charging his Shaman next turn :D

He forgets his magic phase

The 40 Goblins shoot at the Chariot, inflicting around 12 hits, 3 wounds, of which I save 2, but he just needed that last one. Wow I like those Chariots, really tough and amazing on the impact! The Shaman shoots with his Skullsplitter, rolling 4, 5, 5, 6, four hits! But then continues with the to wound roll, 2, 1, 1, 2... Hahaha wow that Acolyte just does not want to die, and ofcourse my opponent is really unlucky.

Then we remember he forgots his magic phase but ofcourse allow him to do it. I can not imagine there are players out there who will deny such a thing, after all, it is a game! He gets the all units within range damage spell inflict 2 wounds on the Acolyte, I fail both saves, killing the champion so he finally dies! Pfff, amazing how long he survived! Also Fanatic dies and some Archers.

Ofcourse his general easily slays the Harpies and overrun.

Turn 4 - Dread Elves
Hmm, the Fanatic is in the way of the Dancers, so I decide not to go through it and kill it in my turn. The Chariot fails its stupidity check blocking Blades from charging flank from Easbashers next turn, but I reform them still into bad position. BSB is also moved towards wrong charge arc as I do not take in account overrun. Dark Raiders get into position to charge both Eadbashers and Archers.

I kill the Fanatic with another fireball, 5 dicing it. I roll two 6's and lose the spell.

Concentrated firepower kill another 6 Feral Orcs. I try to kill the Shaman with both my Dread Reapers but they only inflict 1 single wound, he lives!

Turn 4 - Orcs and Goblins
His Feral Orcs charge into the Dark Raider redirectors and the Shaman get into the Archers again. Archers move to shoot and stand and shoot again next turn. His Wrecking team moves off the board edge.

He manages to get template between Archers and Dancers for some protection

Shooting kill some more Dancers, I think I have 9 left at this point.

General warlords easily kills Dark Raiders and they overrun very far, but still within charge arc of my RBT. Hmm, now I discover my bad positioning of the general.

Turn 5 - Dread Elves
The Dancers charge together with the Dark Raiders (last in the flank) of the Goblin Archers. Dancers make it and lose another 6 to the template and stand and shoot combined, only 3 left! Chariot fails stupidity again moving forward and blocking Blades of Nabh yet again. Others all pursuit that Orc Horde.

Another 7 Orcs are killed with the focused shooting.

In combat he challenged with his champion, I guess with the plan to challenge the BSB. Ofcourse I accept with my Champion which we will discover will be great for me. BSB inflicts a lot of damage, the two Dancers also inflict two wounds. In return he gets a lot of attacks on the Dancers, killing them, but because my Champion was in combat he is not able to kill it! So the unit survives hahaha. He fails combat and his LD6 test and runs off the table. Only one unit left!

Turn 5 - Orcs and Goblins

The Horde charges the Dread Reaper, positioning for overrun towards the second one.

Ofcourse he kills it and overruns a lot.

Turn 6 - Dread Elves

Nothing is within charge range so they just pursuit and shoot.

I kill some more Orcs, I think at this point his unit is below 50%

Turn 6 - Orcs and Goblins

He charges the last Dread Reaper.

And kills it.

Result
20 - 0 Massacre for the Dread Elves!

Post-Game Thoughts
Great and bloody game! Really liked the Chariot and the list overall. Will be playing with some more battles for sure!

MVP
It must be the Acolytes. They made a great first turn blitzkrieg even while forgetting the Breath of Corruption, while only the champion survives the first turn, he got be remain annoying and even fatal for the deadly Catapult until much later in the game facing all odds!

Sacrifice for Khaine
WOW, there is nothing I can thing off as sacrifice for Khaine this battle, everything performed very well!

Thank you for reading and I hope you will share your tips, regards or just any comment for some discussion!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I don't know why but I'm just not a huge fan of Dancers. But I am a huge fan of your battle reports! Great job with these!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Introduction
Greetings my friend, and welcome to another battle report with the XIII Legion. This was my second battle against our arch enemies, the Highborn Elves, played by my nemesis DeGroteBaas. He does not own a High Elf army but his award winning Saurus Ancient was on display in a local story (wow well done my friend) and his other army Dread Elves was very similar to me, so for a better game experience for the both of us he build one using DE and SA units. He knows his Saurus Ancients inside out and nearly won a 35 tournament recently, so a pretty strong player. I usually lose but we have great games and I learn a lot from him plus the feedback he gives me afterwards. This was the first time he played High Elves, so this was my chance. However he remains my nemesis and a strong experienced player so I could not underestimate him.

Friendly list
This was the list I took after a lot of list building, and was pretty satisfied with it.

The XIII Legion
[+] SPOILER
Dread Prince, Horse, Lance, Shield, Heavy Armour, Midnight Cloak, Dragonscale Helm, Potion of Strength - 586
Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Cult of Nabh, Ring of Fire, Crimson Mail, Great Weapon, Repeater Crossbow - 334

29 Repeater Auxiliaries, Full Command, Movement Banner, Shields - 738
10 Repeater Auxiliaries, Musician - 220
5 Dark Raiders - 170

27 Executioners, Full Command, Stalking Standard - 822
1 Raptor Chariot - 190
1 Raptor Chariot - 190
1 Hunting Chariots - 250
1 Hunting Chariots - 250
1 Divine Altar, Paired Weapons - 360

Total: 4500

A pretty strong list I think. The Executioner horde can take out anything, while that particular lord build is very difficult to kill and can never be catched when played right. A shooting core, surrounded by four chariots for the counter-charge. I was especially curious about the Hunting Chariots instead of the bolt throwers that I usually take. With the BSB I hoped to reinforce the big crossbow block, that is supposed to reform deep into ranks when threatened. Magic as usual was minimal investment with maximum damage output, something I have been relative satisfied with for some time.

Enemy list
His list was:
[+] SPOILER
High Prince, Chariot, Bluffers Helm, Strider, Multiple Wounds or something
Commander, special bow, BSB
Archmage, Phyromancy, Ring of Fire, Arcane book of power, 4 spells
20 Spears
2 x 10 Archers
2 x 5 Reavers
2 x Eagle
2 x Bolt Thrower
22 Swordmasters
1 Lion Chariot
1 Fire Phoenix

A not optimized list I think with lots of chaff and soft elements that should not be a problem when played carefully. I also feared he would bring lots of Archers, but two units of 10 could be handled with. Ofcourse there were enough tools I had to fear. A LVL4 phyromancy (fire) magic is deadly to any elf army and two elven bolt throwers are also deadly, although I felt I could get to them quickly enough to not bother too much. I am also satisfied with my new take on the list by taking lots of soft things out such as 2x5 raven cloaks and 2x5 shooty dark raiders and replaced it with the harder chariots. Also in combat he could hurt me, with his chariot prince with bluffers helm and 4+ ward save, his Swordmasters have a higher initiative than my Executioners while two attacks and especially that flaming chicken seemed a problem.

Pre-game thoughts
OK, so by far not the ranged attacks I had feared there to be. If I could take out his shooting, mainly the bolt throwers and getting the Archers smaller I should establish board control and let him come to me. With some focused fire from my Auxiliaries the Swordmasters should shrimp fast. My initial magic and shooting should be focused on his chaff and shooting, while the fast elements would go for his artillery. Ofcourse his phyromancy mage is deadly, but I also feel my list is much better able to survive it now, so I was not too afraid. I did not really assign my combat units against his before the game, I just wanted to establish board control and then react to his moves or shoot him to death.

For magic I got the bound spell, breath of corruption and the grave calls, all damage spells. He wanted spell 6 and 3, and rolled a double 6. He did not rolled a 1, and therefore not the fireball because it is not a signature. Is this correct? He got Cascading Fire, Scorching Salvo, Flaming Swords and Enveloping Embers, a great selection if you ask me.

Deployment
As soon he has bought a gaming mat and some better terrain I will start taking pictures, now its just a simple wooden table with big impassable terrain and some woods made from socks haha. We also planned to play with the scenario rules but forgot and just played standard battleline without objectives.

Terrain
We did not put much effort in the terrain and had one big piece of impassable terrain at the right flank while at both flanks there was a forest in the centre of the field. Actually we also never switch because we just play testing our armies and chill, but I will continue to analyze this aspect so I can improve my use of it in the tournament scene. The terrain was actually quite perfect for my army, with an open field flanked by two forests. I could get my Acolytes fast into the forest closer to his deployment side, while the right forest could be entered by my strider Executioner block getting cover while being in a great position to control the board. I really big extra is with taking Hunting Chariots and Auxiliaries instead of Dread Reapers is the flexibility you get with shooting. Normally you have to think hard about the RBT deployment, also against protection of enemy warmachine hunters, but now I do not have these soft spots, giving me a lot of freedom.

We shuffled around a bit with units after we had 3-4 drops and he had placed his mage bunker central combined with 10 archers that could be shot at in my first turn of the Auxiliaries. To get that first turn I dropped the rest, something that normally cost me the game when deployed more focused on 1 flank, but I though I now could afford. I think it was a strong deployment from my side, but ofcourse like to hear your feedback about it. It also forced him to deploy close to the board edge, leaving him not much space to move around. Something that should have drawn my attention was his deployment of the Fire phoenix at the right flank, because I ignored it without making a gameplan what to do with it such assigning my horse-lord or Acolytes to it or something.

Turn 1 - Dread Elves

I automatic win the first time and we shake hands. Here we go! We were both wondering if the Archers would survive the bolt salvo this turn. I move up my Auxiliary block forward 6" into a great position for the rest of the game. One of the Hunting Chariots is able to get within range of his chariot general, while the other one can only advance. At the right flank the Glass Bullet (lord on horse) advances as far as possible while not risking a charge flank against the vanguarding reavers. Executioner block enters the forest while the Dark Raiders get into position to counter-charge incoming chaff or just be there where needed. The Acolytes advance to the right flank, I wanted them to be within range of the Reavers, in cover from the bolt thrower while outside a possible charge from the chariot general. When I look back to the diagram I really like how strong and well balanced this force look with both infantry units flanked by Chariots while the super-fast elements advance on the flank.

I really want to start taking notes as DarkSky for my magic phases to analyze them later, but for now I forgot. I got great winds of magic to cast all my spells and started with a The Grave Calls on the reavers that he let go, and it easily killed them. Yes, first unit killed! As you might now I always feel glorious when I kill a unit in my first turn with magic or shooting. He dispelled my other spells.

OK, the big moment, I collected all the 60 dice in my hand (just barely fits) and rolled! They needed 6's to hit the Archer unit, while the BSB needed 4's. Unfortunately no notes, so I don't remember how much hit. The BSB hit nothing, which he didn't in the whole game but I think I did the exact average: 10 hits, 5 wounds. He passed his panic test, so not such a big deal for him. But still, his archer force is 1/4 smaller. On average it might have been wiser to use single shot, as that average is 15 hits, 7.5 wounds. Somehow it does not feel right to use single shot, but maybe to improve I should focus more on averages. About this I would love to hear your feedback and this is ofcourse going to need some more experience. The Hunting Chariot missed and so did the other Chariot crossbows. Although I would have hoped for more dead Archers, not disappointed at all because I am in a great position.

Turn 1 - Highborn Elves
The enemy shuffles his line a bit while advancing his spearman into 24" for the magical damage he intents to throw on the Auxiliary block. This is a nice thing, how often do you force the opponent to concentrate ranged focus on your core? His flanking Reavers advance behind me lines, hm what a nice feeling to not have any artillery for the taking anymore. His flaming phoenix takes the new position behind the impassable terrain, doing a lot of damage when it swoops in the 10 wide flank of the Executioners. I think at this point I should have decided to devote my general to him as there is really nothing able to catch it.

He gets a big magic phase, 10 dice. He is too eager and directly puts Enveloping Ember (all models S3 hit) on the unit Repeater Auxiliaries, but he also rolls double 6! Miscast time! He spell kills 8 Auxiliaries but they pass their leadership test. While he does not forget a spell or inflict wounds on himself, he does kill a lot of spearman, blowing up 15 or something. Only 4 left and the caster. I have enough dispell dice to dispell the other spell, and thats it. Very lucky for me, but also big mistake from his side. Note for myself: never throw more dice for a spell than needed, always start with the small ones.

Combined firepower of the artillery inflict four wounds on 1 Hunting Chariot as expected, while the Archers fail to kill any Auxiliaries. Great first round for me!

Turn 2 - Dread Elves
Time to get rid of those pesky bolt throwers! I realize my Dark Raiders are within 20" of his bolt thrower, while the Acolytes are 18" from the other one. I choose the re-roll blessing for charging and roll three 6's for the Dark Riders, they definitely wanted in! Unfortunately the Acolytes fluff and roll 7 to charge, so stumble forward. As you can see I made a mistake in the diagram, they did not moved, they charged. The right chariot faces towards the flanking reavers, while the other advance. Unfortunately I make the same mistake as I did in my first turn and keep the Hunting Chariots within 6" of each other. The Executioners remain in the forest but face the Fire phoenix so now only 4 ranks he can do the swooping attack to. Glass Bullet advances inside the flank of the enemy line to charge anything he sees. The small unit of Repeaters get into range to also shoot on the phyromancy mage.

Again a nice magic phase for me. I first do a breath of corruption on the Swordmasters by sacrificing two Auxiliaries from the big block, but get a miscast with three dice. The champion gets a wound, I forget the spell, and two more Acolytes die, but they do not panic. I also get my fireball through on an Eagle and inflict 2 wounds.

Now the big moment to finish his magic phase, the big block, now only 19 inflict lots of hits with on 5's but unfortunately allocate only 2 to the mage with wounding while killing the 4 spearman with lots of overkill. Sh*t! But no worries, there are the 10 supporting Auxiliaries that finish him off. BAM, a big blow already in my second turn. Really like how that second small unit could act as vultures doing that final crucial wound. The Hunting Chariots now swift fire to finish what the Acolytes failed to do, to finish off the second bolt thrower to give me total board control and inflict three wounds, just not enough but close. One Raptor Chariot kills two archers while the other Raptor Chariot kills two reapers, great shooting round for the chariots! After this round 1 dead mage, 4 dead spearman, 3 wounds on bolt thrower, 2 wounds on archers and 2 wounds on reavers, nice I would say for no RBT myself.

The Dark Raiders finish the bolt thrower, panicking the 10 Archers off the board and I overrun into the flank of the Lion Chariot. Do you think this was smart to pin it for the Glass Bullet or should I have overrun towards the other bolt thrower, I did not gave it much thought when I charged it though but for the future this might need some consideration.

Turn 2 - Highborn Elves
Magic gone, most shooting gone, I think at this point the enemy thinks it is over and he goes full berserk mode just charging all his units where possible even when very unlikely. Unfortunately you are going to witness how I let this 20-0 slip out of my hands to many mistakes, but I hope this will learn me a lot for the next time. His swordmasters charge the Acolytes, that flee. His chariot general charges the closest Hunting Chariot that stand and shoot (he needs 12), which he fails. Both Eagles charge my Raptor Chariot, one makes it, the other fails. His Fire phoenix sweeps over the Executioners, killing 6. His 3 Reavers charge my other Raptor Chariot, that kills another one with the stand and shoot. I think, it is over, and I guess so thinks he...

His last bolt thrower kills the wounded Hunting Chariot, panicking the other one. Oh oh oh, stupid mistake from my side. Fortunately the big block holds on the re-roll. I think his Archers kill a Auxiliary, but not sure.

In combat my units fail big time. The Dark Raiders fail to inflict any damage, while 3 get killed in return, but I hold my break test. The Raptor Chariot vs Eagle inflict a wound resulting into a draw while the Raptor Chariot vs Reavers only inflict a single wound while receives one himself and loses combat, but fortunately does not break.

Turn 3 - Dread Elves
I charge Glass Bullet into the flank of the Lion Chariot. The Acolytes fail to rally and flee off the table, but fortunately the Hunting Chariot rallies. Then I turn my brain off. I forget the Auxiliary block while a flank charge of the Fire Phoenix is imminent. I move the Executioner horde up to do something although there are only 5 Archers left. I do nothing useful and give away my big win. I should have swift reformed the Auxiliaries into deep formation, move up and then reinforce it with the Divine Altar!!

Aah I realize now I forgot my Ring of Fire, to finish off that bolt thrower or the Eagle.

I am not sure if I shot or not, at least nothing is wounded.

The Glass Bullet makes short work of the Lion Chariot, the Raptor Chariot vs Eagle fails to inflict any damage while the other Raptor Chariot kills off the Reavers making him dangerous again.

Turn 3 - Highborn Elves
The enemy ofcourse capitalized on my mistake and charges the flank of the Auxiliaries and front with his chariot general and my brain is still off, I stand and shoot?! Bolts ofcourse bounce on his bluffers helm. Maybe when fleeing I should still have rescued them and then rally into deep formation while Chariots save them. His general needed a 9 to roll, but rolled 8 but his Fire phoenix makes it. His other Eagle tries to save his friend and charges the Raptor Chariot, but fails. The 5 Archers move towards the Dark Raiders to kill it.

His bolt thrower inflict three wounds on the Hunting Chariot, but his Archers miss.

The BSB inflict two wounds on the Fire phoenix, but they are ofcourse hopeless again his attacks and thunderstomp while they do not have steadfast. They break and are run down. Finally the Raptor Chariot wakes up and kill the Eagle, able to counter-charge the Fire phoenix.

Turn 4 - Dread Elves
Both Raptor Chariots pass stupidity again (passed all their tests this game) and charge the Fire phoenix, the close one makes it. The Executioners charge the final 5 Archers, ofcourse they should have been doing something more usefull such as setting up counter-charge. I also do something stupid with my Glass Bullet not charging the Eagle instead setting up a counter-charge (which then ofcourse can be blocked by the Eagle)

Hunting Chariot hits the general, wounds, and inflict 3 wounds, only 1 left. Ahh, when I kept on focused fire on him and did not make the mistakes I made, I think I should have killed him easily. The Auxiliaries try to finish it but bounce logically.

Impact hits fail to do any damage and he ward saves both Lance wounds. In return he inflict three wounds. A draw! Executioners easily dispatch the Archers, surprise surprise.

Turn 4 - Highborn Elves
He charges the general chariot in the Raptor Chariot but fails again. He ofcourse blocks the Glass Bullet with his Eagle

He kills the last Hunting Chariot with his bolt thrower.

I inflict another wound on the Fire phoenix, but the Raptor Chariot is killed in return.

Turn 5 - Dread Elves
Glass Bullet must charge the Eagle, Dark Raiders charge the bolt thrower, Raptor Chariot charges the Fire phoenix and the small Auxiliaries move backwards 2.5"

Shooting bounces on his general.

Raptor Chariot goes effecient and kills the Fire phoenix with its Impact Hits. The Dark Raiders finish the bolt thrower and the Glass Bullet finished the Eagle.

Turn 5 - Highborn Elves
His general charges the Raptor Chariot and makes it.

Raptor Chariot is killed with the Impact Hits

Turn 6 - Dread Elves
Not much I can do besides trying to get lucky and shoot off that last wound.

But they bounce.

Turn 6 - Highborn Elves
He tries to get some extra points by finishing the last 2 Dark Raiders.

He get two hits with his general and BSB, but I save both on a 5+

Result
I have around 2800 points, he around 2300 and I win with 416 point difference. 11-9 victory for the Dread Elves!

Post-Game Thoughts
Pfff, what started as an amazing game turned into a relative frustrating game as I think I could have won much bigger than I did now. I got a bit confused by his berserk mode and the feeling I got this, losing sharpness. Lesson number one next time, think in all your phases haha! I really liked this list, although I think that for the same cost of the Acolytes I can get a more interesting 4 spell Oracle. My core was great, and I definitely want to master it. Very crucial for the next time is to follow the plan, and to go deep as soon they can be charged, because there is a lot of counter-charge potential with all those chariots. I absolutely loved the fact that I did not have any reapers, it gave me more freedom and and stronger board control (I think). Also liked the Glass Bullet and think he has a lot of potential, but the BSB was worthless. For the same cost of the Glass Bullet and the BSB I can also buy a prince on a dragon, so that is what I indeed will be doing ;). I do think it is amazing to have such a fast horse character with the midnight cloak, so I will exchange my Divine Altar for a BSB that can do that job. It was a pleasure to play with this list, so I looking forward to learn it more.

MVP
I think this time it were the Dark Raiders. I initially removed them for the list, but they proved they can be a great asset in many situations, this time as warmachine hunters. They killed two Bolt Throwers, panicked 10 Archers of the board and pinned a Lion Chariot while surviving focused missile fire.

Sacrifice for Khaine
Hmm, I fear it were the Acolytes for not making that charge to the bolt thrower and then fleeing off the board. They did draw initial blood, but are capable for much more. I have mixed feeling about them, sometimes they are the absolutely MVP, sometimes they fluff too much. It should be according to my play I guess, but I will swap them for an Oracle for now after I played with them since my very first list in the 8th edition.
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duckman5
Corsair

Post by Duckman5 »

Just chiming in to say your battle reports are amazing, thanks for continually putting them out :)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Great battle and write up - congrats on the win :)

Your army needs more chariots!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thank you all, it makes it extra nice to make them with such compliments. If you have critique or see room for improvement please let me know, as my intention is to become a much more succesfull Druchii commander than that I am now.

Note the new report is up! There are still some typos and small mistakes that I discover by reading it as you would, but correct that later :)
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Nice battle reps!

Too bad I don't play 9th age and don't have any insight to come up with, but I do enjoy reading these reports as they are nicely detailed. I especially love how your personification underperforms so much. It reminds me of when I did it a while back and failed miserably too :lol:

Keep up the good work.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thank you for the warm words, especially since you were the one that inspired to start writing my own. Here is the newest report

Introduction
Greetings friend, and welcome back to my Army Blog. Reading back my last report I realize its either a full detailed battle report, or none at all. My apologies for the lack of quality, it will be a battle report quickly forgotten. However this time I experienced a battle that will likely make up for it by far, as it was simply epic. It was against the hated Dwarven Holds, an army I usually struggle a lot against. If there is one army that can field capable warmachines taking out my Dragon, this would be the one. You can imagine my happiness when I saw his list and realized he did not brought a single warmachine!

Friendly list
I took the XIII Legion with some changes:

Prince, Cult of Yema (M8), Giant Sword, Charm of Cursed Iron, Lucky Shield, Dragon - 980
Captain, Cult of Yema (M9), BSB, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Midnight Cloak, Manticore - 551
19 Corsairs, Cult of Yema (M6), FC, Handbows, Gleaming Icon - 448
15 Corsairs, Cult of Yema (M6), Handbows, Musician - 310
8 Dark Raiders, Cult of Yema (M10), Shields, RXB - 368
10 Dread Knights (M8), Champion, Standard, Banner of Speed - 590
5 Dark Acolytes, Cult of Yema (M10), Champion - 390
5 Dark Acolytes, Cult of Yema (M10) Champion - 390
5 Harpies (M10) - 130
1 Kraken (M6) - 360

A strong and mobile list, with lots of warmachine hunting elements that also excell in the remained of the chaff war. Especially the big units of 10 raptor knights was something new for me.

Enemy list
Rune master
Thane
Dragonseeker
10 Clan Marksmen, Guild Crafted Handgun
12 Clan Marksmen, Crossbows
20 Greybeards, Vanguard
30 Kings Guard, Vanguard
10 Miners. Ambush
10 Miners, Ambush
14 Seekers, Vanguard
1 Attack Copter
1 Attack Copter
1 Steam Bomber

The enemy brought a complete different list than I had expected (feared) so I was relieved. Three hard blocks with some missile support, two ambushers that would likely focus on the objective and ofcourse the very annoying Steam Copter chaff divided in two copters and one bomber. I should keep my monsters out of that nasty Dragonseeker and take out his copters as soon as possible, but I should be able to win this game big by controlling the movement phase and combo-charging in his blocks one by one.

Pre-game thoughts
For those that do not play the 9th age yet, I will give some basic information about the main difference with the old Warhammer. Scenarios have changed a bit, and are more important than before. There are four different deployment types and four different secondary objective types. You roll for both of them at the start of the turn, and they will heavily influence the game besides the two armies facing each other. Personally I like this, as even against the same list you will always have different battles with different terrain, deployment and scenarios.

We rolled for Encircle, that means that the attacker can deploy further on the flanks while the defender can deploy a bit further on the centre. My opponent picked the side as attacker so could deploy more on the flanks while I could push in the centre. As secondary objectives we rolled for Secure the Target. This means we both had to deploy a marker, who controlled most markers (max 2) wins the scenario. He deployed his marker at the right flank, so I deployed it at the left flank with the idea my small units of Corsairs could take it.
The enemy had three spells: Rune of Reckoning (Hatred), Rune of Gleaming (Hard Target + Distracting) and Rune of Resilience (-1 to wound in combat), all very strong in the magic phase on his blocks. I have the auto-selection 2 x Breath of Corruption (toxic breath weapon) and 2 X The Grave Calls (2D6 S5 missile).

Deployment
A bit more on terrain before we go to the actual deployment phase. He had build a very nice piece of terrain (also compliment to the Tafelridder) with many elements such as ruins, a building, a wall, a field, several hills etc. It made for a nice and diverse board with some nice opportunities for both of us. Those logos are supposed to show ruins, while that brown fat piece is supposed to show a field haha.

We was the one that could pick the side and those the one with a nice hill in the deployment centre and ruins at one flank. Especially the ruins could be a nice space for my troops to hide or lure enemy combat blocks in. That central wall could also be of use while the hills would be great denying line of sight in case it was needed.

He started with a drop of his Crossbows at the far right flank close to his placed marker. I reacted with the Dark Raiders and the chess game started. His Handgunners were deployed to the other marker, supported by a Attack Copter. While I devoted the Dark Acolyte pair to this flank helping out the 15 Corsairs to clear those troops I also placed the BSB close. This is because I find that leadership is one of the weak spots of the Acolytes and the enemy would at least be able for 1 turn to maybe force a panic test, probably even more when stand & shooting. The Corsairs would be too slow so I devoted my BSB to this flank. I would like to hear your opinion about this, as my reasoning was that my BSB would not like to be in one of the combat units with great weapons as he would easily die, while his Handgunners + Copters might be able to take out my Acolytes with a lucky strike. I did placed him within 18" of the Dragon might something happen there.

It soon became clear the enemy would focus on the right flank, placing its infantry blocks there. I reacted with the Dread Knights in the far flank, hoping to smash into a juicy flank together with the big hammers (Dragon and Kraken) while Corsairs could provide some ranks and bodies. Dark Raiders could maybe take out a Steam Copter on the charge or the crossbows.

There were several moments, Oh sh*t he will deploy everything and take first turn, something that I was afraid of especially at the left flank. So when he had two units left I deployed the rest of my force, and won the first turn with +2 to start.

His first vanguard surprised me, as it was an aggressive one with his main block. However he also provided his flank for my Dread Knights? They also stubborn with the general yes, but 10 knights in the flank? I prevented the other blocks from vanguarding too far with my own Dark Raiders and he made diagonal battle line in his corner.

Turn 1 - XIII Legion
First turn, I pass my stupidity test on LD10 of the general. Charges, hmm. I think hard and deep about this one. It is 16" for the Dragon, needing an 8 with swiftride. The Dread Knights can make it automatically because of the champion. Corsairs need 13", so an 7, possible on average. When I get stuck so early the enemy can charge my flanks.. But is there ever going to be such a nice charge opportunity for the Dread Knights in the flank.. When either the Dragon or Corsairs make it, I can finish him next turn when the Kraken joins.. I decide to do it and charge them all in! Unfortunately only the Dread Knights make it, not good as the counter-attack will likely hurt when they reform in his next turn. To make sure I can at least do a massive combo-charge next turn I move up the Kraken as far as possible. The Dark Raiders man the wall, luring the Greybeards to them while the Harpies get into position when something goes wrong. The right flank I discover I come a bit too short to get into the ruins, something I had hoped to do while deploying. They aggressively move up to hopefully take the Copter down and maybe do some damage to the Handgunners, so is the BSB on his mighty manticore. The Corsairs reform into 8x2 formation for sacrifices and sneak a bit forward.

Magic is 6 vs 4. I directly cast Breath of Corruption but making the huge mistake to not first sacrifice two Corsairs, making it useless as I am not within 6" yet. I do get the Grave through while the opponent fails to dispell it, inflicting just two wounds on the Copter. Not good.

The Raiders kill two Greybeards from a distance, nice one.

OK, the big flank charge! I was excited what the Knights could do in such big numbers. I challenged with my champion, reasoning I could kill a character or the enemy champion with some luck. He accepted with his champion that was quickly slain. Also the attacks of the other knights struck home, 8 more dead Kings Guard. Even the Raptor did significant damage and killed 3 more. In return he just killed a single knights. BAM. He regrets his choice and had clearly not expected this kind of damage so early. What a shame the others did not make it, especially the Dragon ofcourse. The enemy is stubborn on LD10 and makes his save (I just discovered he was LD9 all along). He combat reforms into full contact for some pain next turn.

Turn 1 - Dwarven Holds
Being overpowered at the left flank his wounded Copter try to get away while getting a last chance for some ranged damage with the Handgunners. The Greybeards do not give in on the Dark Raider provocation and also mans the wall. The Seekers reform to get in the flank of my units if they get stuck in his now nearly halved Kings Guard. His bomber moves up to shoot the Manticore that is in the field and the other Copter at the right flank.

He gets a nice magic phase where I can dispell hatred and distracting, but he gets -1 to wound on the Kings Guard, not good. Not sure I should have spared my dice for this one, all others seemed as dangerous.

Combined shooting of the Copter and Handgunners kill 3 Acolytes, but it passes its panic test. The bomber fails to wound the BSB, even with re-roll because of the field.

With the -1 to wound and now S4, I only inflict two wounds on the Kings Guard. In return they inflict exactly 9 unsaved wounds, and the Knights are gone.. He reforms to face the next wave.

Turn 2 - XIII Legion
The Dragon, Corsairs and Kraken charge the Kings Guard, which passes his Terror test. Also the BSB Manticore charges the Handgunners that stand and shoot, but they fail to inflict a wound on the beast. Unfortunately the Kraken does not make the charge and now provides his flank for the enemy. The Acolytes move up to make sure the enemy Copter is dead this turn, while the Dark Raiders move up the hill to flank charge the Crossbows. For Harpies I decide to use them as speedbump so Seekers need a 11 to overrun into flank of the Dragon might it stick, should have likely used them more to redirect the Seekers in different direction than as speed bump.

8 vs 6 for winds of magic. I first cast The Grave with four dice with the full health unit, and roll double 6. Hmm. He kill the Copter but also lose three Acolytes with the miscast. Both units only have the champion with a single acolyte left.

Dark Raiders do great work and kill two crossbow wielding Dwarfs.

The combined attacks of the BSB and Manticore kill 5 Hangunners, too few as he will be steadfast. In return his 5 Handgunners inflict two wounds that I fail to save, so BSB already at half health! But stomp kills another one, breaking the unit. Unfortunately they run 12" and I fail to catch them, resulting into lots of delay as we will see. The big combat! The Kings Guard still have the -1 to wound on. I do not challenge, so does he. This allows my general to inflict two wounds on his general, and I devote four more Dragon attacks to his general, just killing it, pfew... His Thane has a special S10 strike against my dragon however and inflict two wounds, his Kings Guard another two. The Corsairs inflict two wounds while the Dragon breath weapon and thunderstomp kill some more Kings Guard, that is getting small now. I win combat and he rolls.. 10. Re-roll... 9! Yes! No he says, as Thane is LD10. Unfortunately we do not check this as he had full conviction (likely from old version or rules) as ofcourse it would had made for a very different battle. I also discover now that his units would even auto-break as without a King or General his Kings Guard are not bodyguard and my Corsairs had more ranks, so no stubborn or steadfast. Ah well!

Turn 2 - Dwarven Holds
The Seekers with Dragonseeker charge the Harpies as expected, I hold. Also the Greybeards charge the Kraken, somehow I thought I was going to be obliterated because it was in the flank, but in reality it just matters 2 CR, as in front also 5 models are in base contact. That 2 CR might still be too much, and I fled with the Kraken hoping it would escape and then face them in the front when rally. This was a mistake as I rolled low and just barely escaped without a fight! His Miners arrive at the battlefield and his Bomber flies over the Dark Raiders killing 4. Handgunners rally, hmmm.

The hill provides hard cover for the Dark Raiders, and he only manages to kill two more. Just two left though, so while they survived I need to save them asap. They pass both panic tests.

The Harpies kill 3 Seekers before they are slain without mercy. Then the Dwarf rolls for the overrun, 11! Nooo! The Dragon is doomed.. Or? We start that combat and ofcourse I try to save myself by challenging with the general. He discovers that I have higher initiative, and with four attacks hitting on 3's, wounding on 2's there is a high chance I kill him before he gets to strike. For a moment he is considering all options.. What to do, what to do. He decides to let the Dragonseeker do what is was trained to do, bred to do, no.. what is was born to do! Lord Drakon rolls: 3, 4, 4, 6, all hits! to wound: 2, 5, 1, 1.. sh*t. The Dragonseeker lives.. However the Dragonseeker has lost it nerve after being so close to death and its life purpose. It only hits once! but that single hit also just wounds on a 3. But that 3 is enough, and the Dragon has no armour left. Because of the upgrade it inflicts multi-wounds (2) and the Dragon dies before it gets to strike. My compliments and congratulations to my opponent for actually slaying a Dragon with his Dragonseeker though, it was a very fluffy ending of my dragon this time ;). We shake hands over this major victory to his side, but the battle is not over yet! The Corsairs strike down some more Kings Guards, that have become very small now. The Seekers and Kings Guard also kill about 4 Corsairs, but I actually win combat because of my ranks, banner and wounds. He holds with the Guard while the Seekers are unbreakable.

Turn 3 - XIII Legion
I want to get my BSB useful in at the right flank, but also fear that even while 4 left, those last Handgunners might for example force a crucial panic test losing me that marker, so the Manticore charges in. The Kraken fortunately rallies while the Dark Raiders get between the Kraken and Greybeards, so that they will flee out of range of the enemy Crossbows when the Greybeards charge them in order to get to the Kraken. Both Acolyte teams race as fast as they can towards the right flank to help out.

Dark Raiders pick off another Greybeard. 3 Greybeards and 2 Marksmen, the RXB upgrade was a good investment, so far scored 108 points.

The BSB and Manticore kill 3 Handgunners that break and BSB overruns of the board, at least that marker is secured. Will he be back in time to do some useful instead of hunting a 250 point unit? The Corsairs do really well and kill some more Kings Guard and Seekers, while they also lose a lot in return, I think I have 6 left at this moment. But still steadfast so I pass my break test.

Turn 3 - Dwarven Holds
The Greybeards charge the Dark Raiders that flee, and he passes his redirect test and charges into the Kraken. The Steam Copters and Miners prepare to shoot down the incoming depleted Acolyte team. Crossbows have no good targets to march towards the marker.

Not sure if I am in range already of his Copter shooting, no Acolyte dies yet.

The Corsairs inflict a bit more wounds on the Kings Guard, only left! In return all but two of the Corsairs die, and they break from combat. He tries to catch them with the last Kings Guard that is still joined by his BSB while the Seekers reform to face the other unit of Corsairs, Acolytes and BSB. However the Corsairs barely escape and live! Then the Greybeard vs Kraken fight. He rolls to hit and discovers how difficult it is to hit a Kraken, just 3 hits resulting in two wounds. Unfortunately the Kraken has not hit well either and just kills one. However his thunderstomp makes well up for it, and kill 5 more! I win combat by 1 and he.. breaks!! I pursuit and even while he rolls high I catch him and can now charge the Miners in my turn! Well done Kraken!

Turn 4 - XIII Legion
Suddenly things look for me again, thanks to that Kraken. He charges into the Miners, that inflict 1 wound with their stand & shoot after they passed their terror test. The BSB moves as fast as possible towards the battle, while the Acolytes get into nice blasting positions. The fleeing Corsairs decide they have done enough for today and run off the table, while the Raiders move to the board edge seeking cover from a building against crossbow fire.

A good phase, 10 vs 5! I first sacrifice two Corsairs and roll for Breath of Corruption, which is let through. Then another sacrifice of two Corsairs and I roll for my first Grave with four dice, but fail to get the 12+, hmmm. He easily dispels the other Grave. I had higher hopes for this phase, lets hope the Breath of Corruption will at least kill one Copter.

The Breath of Corruption get 11 hits, but unfortunately only 2 6's, not enough.

The Kraken again fails to hit and only kills 1 miner, but its thunderstomp kill 5 more. In return they inflict another wound on the Kraken, he has one left! They break and I pursuit. Because I was within 6" of the other Miners they need to panic test, I hope.. and he fails its panic test! It flees, even off the table! Wow, thank you Kraken for saving my ass!

Turn 4 - Dwarven Holds
We are both down to some small and wounded units, but the battle is not over yet! His Bomber flies over the Acolytes and inflict 6 wounds, I save 4, so the Champion is left with a single wound. His Crossbows move to the objective while his Seekers push towards my Corsairs / BSB. He list Attack Copter is assigned to take off that last wound of the Kraken.

Fortunately he only wounds one with his Bomber repeater shooting which I save. His Attack Copter has more luck and inflict 1 wound that I fail the save, the heroic Kraken is dead. He scored about 900 points by himself, taking out 3 scoring units, so great job to him!

Turn 5 - XIII Legion
I am thinking hard about what to do with the Acolytes, and decide those Copters really need to die so opt for blasting them away. The Raiders that are forgotten see a small opportunity by charging the flank of that last Kings Guard, scoring a lot of points and maybe even routing his BSB. This was not so smart as his BSB can just make way ofcourse. The BSB gets within charge range.

8 vs 4 magic phase! Unfortunately I don't roll high enough to get the 12' for both the Grave Calls, ughh!

The Raiders discover their mistake but still inflict 1 wound on the BSB, that misses its attacks. He has BSB and banner, I flank charge and wound, I win by 1, but he holds.

Turn 5 - Dwarven Holds
Crossbows get to the objective, Seekers push on and unfortunately his Copter and Bomber are still alive so try to assassinate the BSB. The Bombers flies over the Acolyte unit that still has two models, and inflict 3 wounds, I fail all saves so they are dead..

Fortunately the Midnight Cloak stops all damage and the BSB remains at two wounds left.

The Thane BSB decided he is done with messing around and slays the two Dark Raiders.

Turn 6 - XIII Legion
My last turn, I want to finish this game at least with a Grand Finale and charges my BSB into the Seekers to revenge Lord Drakon and his dragon Luna. Acolyte gets another time within blasting range of the Copter.

4 vs 3, come on! I roll 3, 3, 2, 1, again not high enough for the Grave Calls! I could have done some 3-5 Graves by now if I just had rolled 11 total with all those four dices!

The enemy is wise unfortunately and takes the charge with his champion, so the Midnight CLoak + Lance benefits won't be there next turn.

Turn 6 - Dwarven Holds
His Bombers moves over the Corsairs, but not kiling enough to force a panic test. Copter tries to kill that last Acolyte champion while his Crossbows get into the objective range. His last Kings Guard + Thane have been hold up too long and also get to the Objective. My compliments to this unit for surviving all the onslaught though!

I inflicts a wound on the Acolyte, but I save it once more! Thank you 4+ ward saves. Very close every time this battle. Bomber kills one more Corsair, not enough to force a panic test.

Normally he would not take the risk, but because it is a friendly game and he also likes to find out the epic clash he challenges with his Dragonseeker. I hit first, and luckily I manage to kill him. However he has that You are Coming with Me rule. He wounds and just as with the Dragon, he only needs 1 wound because of the multi-wounding. I only have a 6+ AS left.. I roll.. 6! The BSB survives and has restored the honour of the XIII Legion.

Result
Do not remember the exact score anymore, I think it was 700 points more victory points scored for him, we both had a marker so nobody took the secondary objective therefore a 12-8.

Post-Game Thoughts
Pfew, what an epic game! Very bloody and exciting chaff war until the end. Unfortunately we played two crucual rules wrong in the second turn, that would have otherwise make the Dragon and Corsairs overrun out of Seeker range, killing the Crossbows next turn. I was unlucky with the Acolytes this time, while also making that initial Breath of Corruption mistake, however I definately see how much potential they can have, especially in the later turns when units get smaller. Unfortunately they lost 3 man early at the left flank, but those models per unit could still have been absolutely devastating and survived a lot of ranged damage from those Copters. It was glorious to do that flank charge with the knights, they can bring a lot of pain! Imagine they would have remained in the flank and survived that initial battle. Very satisfied with them. The Corsairs surprised me once again. I have experienced my last battles how great shooters they, but they can also fight! They stayed in combat for four full rounds, nearly killing that last Kings Guard. Oh and the Kraken, he literally saved the battle for me by that epic counter-attack. Unfortunately the BSB was not too useful in this game, as he had no good targets but I think I played his correctly in the beginning while that last charge was ofcourse not too professional? Dark Raiders in big group were also nice, however I do think it was a mistake to use them so aggressive in that second turn.

MVP
The Kraken!