Slaanesh

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Which do you think GW will do?

1) Freed by Sigmar and becomes a deity of Order.
8%
2) Remains missing forever, gaining strength from his followers' eternal search.
No votes
3) Replaced by a DP.
No votes
4) Restored the same as in WHFB.
12%
5) Restored as a PG-13 version.
12%
6) Squatted.
12%
7) Emerges from Morathi with shadow-daemons in tow.
35%
8 ) Campaign.
15%
9) Other (please explain below).
8%

Total votes: 26

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Slaanesh

Post by Shadowspite »

We all know Slaanesh is currently 'missing' in the AoS setting, that Malerion and Tyrion supposedly freed all the (a)elven souls the Dark Prince had consumed and imprisoned him somewhere. And that his mortal and daemonic servants are searching for him (except for a few daemon princes who instead seek to replace him).

There is a very strange rumour going around the internet that Sigmar himself will be the one to find Slaanesh and free him, and that the Dark Prince will return as a god of Order rather than Chaos - either shedding his 'evil' aspects and becoming more like Atharti, or (like DE assassins) keeping the 'evil' but working for Sigmar (or pretending to at least) as a sort of 'token evil teammate'.

I do not personally think that is very likely, nor would I want to see it happen. Even if becoming a god of Order would basically make him Leviathan from the Hellraiser mythos...

But I thought it might be fun to outline some other possibilities and see what people here thought was the most plausible. So here's the options, as I see them:

1) As the rumour above. Slaanesh returns as a deity of Order, working for Sigmar. Still a god of excess/pleasure and pain/secret urges, but nominally on the side of civilization and an enemy of the Chaos Gods.

2) Slaanesh remains missing forever, and that mystery becomes a defining feature of the god. His followers continue searching for him, mirroring their endless search for new experiences. It's hinted Slaanesh is deliberately remaining 'invisible' to his followers because their search is actually strengthening him.

3) Slaanesh gets replaced by one of his daemon princes.

4) Slaanesh is found and restored by his followers, and he's exactly the same as before.

5) Slaanesh is found and restored, but is now a PG-13 version, with the sexual aspects removed or downplayed. Daemonettes never get bare nipples again. Without sex or drugs, he's left with just the rock-and-roll. Instead of cavorting androgynes amid clouds of musk, we get a fantasy version of noise marines.

6) Slaanesh is squatted. Not explicitly removed, but simply never mentioned again. GW gradually stops selling models and making warscrolls for his followers and daemons. The Horned Rat is the fourth Chaos God and always has been. We have always been at war with Eastasia...

7) Slaanesh is revealed to have been hiding inside Morathi. He re-emerges (maybe killing Morathi for good in the process) more powerful than ever and starts stomping all over Malerion and the aelves of Ulgu. He now has a strong shadowy aspect, with daemonettes becoming 'shadow-daemons'.

8 ) GW does a global campaign around finding and restoring Slaanesh, and his eventual fate is decided by the results of the campaign.

Now, the poll is about what you think is most likely, not what you necessarily want to happen. FWIW, my preferred option is probably a toss-up between 2 and 7, but I don't think either of those is particularly likely (though I think 7 is rather more likely than 2).

So vote in the poll for what you think GW will do, but do also let us know what you'd like to see happen below.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Slaanesh

Post by Daeron »

What about Morathi, instead of a Daemon Prince taking his place?
Or ... perhaps... Slaneesh does return, with Morathi as his right hand. That way the character that was Morathi (second in command, with a very twisted sense of loyalty and the occasional attempt on a coup) and Slaneesh are pretty much the same as they were before. It might make an interesting duo, actually.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Keeping with their lot being very ambitious nd never satisfied, I would prefer a daemon prince taking the spot.

That said I can see GW using this as an excuse to have a campain so they sell more stuff, maybe have that be the point the 3 Aelf armies get their books, creat a 4th called pixies, and still pretend they can make hand over dallar in this.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

I only know od Slaanash from the 40k lore. In terms on Dark Elves how is she or he (cause he or she is referred as both) what's his / her role?
Phox Jorkarzul
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

It's a "forbidden" cult within Druchii society that is occasionally discovered. When found, they are punished for not worshiping Khaine. Some suspect that Morathi is secretly behind it all and that she herself worships Slaanesh as well.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Bring slaanesh back to full power!
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

interesting I can for sure see the appeal of such a cult in the Aelve ranks.
Phox Jorkarzul
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Didn't they clumsily retcon that in 8th edition?

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Uhh... anyway, I have a wacky new theory about where Slaanesh is imprisoned.

First, have a look at this image of Azyrheim:

Up in the top right corner, you can see Mallus, the molten remains of the old WH world, with the crescent of the Sigmarabulum built around it. Then, hovering just above the centre-point of the Sigmarabulum are Dharroth and Sigendil the High Star. Now, Sigendil is obviously the white dwarf remnant of the old WH world's sun. Which means Dharroth is probably Mannslieb/Lileath - i.e. the WH world's surviving non-warpstone moon.

But imagine what that looks like from directly above or below. You have the large circle of Mallus, cupped by a slender crescent. Then, opposite, you have another, much smaller circle. And if something were to escape from inside Dharroth, leaving it broken open, what would that look like?

Maybe...

Remember, we know Teclis was instrumental in capturing Slaanesh. And who has Teclis always served? Lileath, the Moon Goddess. Where else would he imprison the Dark Prince, but inside 'dark Dharroth', that was once sacred to his own divine mistress?

Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

I think that a) Slaanesh will be closely involved with the story of the new aelves, b) Morathi will be involved, and c) at least some aelves will embrace the pain-and-pleasure lifestyle that Slaanesh embodies, perhaps led by Morathi.

5) PG-13? I doubt it. If you've seen Mistweaver Shaih, she has ornamental wounds on her arm pierced through with blades. I foresee more of that.

4) Exactly the same as before... I hope not. What would have been the point then?

5) Squatted... never. It's one of GW's most valuable IPs, they'd never let it go.

8 ) Global Campaign. No, there's no way they'd leave it up to chance.

1) Token evil teammate? I dunno, Alarielle is pretty evil already, she has a profound hatred of non-plant humanoids. The Fyreslayers will do anything for ur-gold, including fighting for Chaos. Malerion fights for Order, but he's never been exactly good, and Sigmar himself is a bit of a fascist. If anything, they need a token *good* teammate (maybe one of the Toad gods?)
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Barking Agatha wrote:If anything, they need a token *good* teammate (maybe one of the Toad gods?)

Good point. There is Grungni, though.

EDIT: Also, going by the information in the new WD, Alarielle doesn't hate all non-plant humanoids. She just sang a whole new city into being specifically for her mortal (i.e. not forest spirit tree people) allies to live in.

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I voted that Slaanesh will be restored to her rightful position one day when Gav wakes up in the shower and realises that losing Slaanesh, destroying the world and making AoS was nothing but a horrible dream, and sets about putting things back as they should be...

Not sure if that is what will happen, but that is certainly what I WANT to happen.

Then again, when it comes to voting, I haven't been getting the results I've wanted recently, so we shall see. In my mind, and consequently in my corner of the (still existing) Warhammer World, Slaanesh hasn't gone anywhere at all :twisted:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Barking Agatha
Corsair

Post by Barking Agatha »

Darkprincess wrote:I voted that Slaanesh will be restored to her rightful position one day when Gav wakes up in the shower and realises that losing Slaanesh, destroying the world and making AoS was nothing but a horrible dream, and sets about putting things back as they should be...

Not sure if that is what will happen, but that is certainly what I WANT to happen.

It might still happen. Maybe everything will go back to how it was in the 1990's, and then never, ever change again. #GWEXIT

;)
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Darkprincess wrote:Gav wakes up in the shower

Much as you and I like to blame everything on Gav Thorpe, he's not actually been a GW employee since 2007. He just writes stories for them freelance now and has no say whatsoever in the overall metaplot. The decisions to blow up the Warhammer world, create a new Planescape-esque high fantasy setting, and turn Slaanesh into an Elder-Scrolls-style 'Missing God' were all made by other people and were as much of a surprise to Gav as they were to the rest of us.

Also, I now have to go and soak my brain in bleach to get rid of the mental image of Gav Thorpe in the shower. BRB.

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Much as you and I like to blame everything on Gav Thorpe,
This made me laugh!

i miss the days when were cursing him, Ward and later Crudance for ruining WH forever with their armybooks!

Anyways option 7 would be cool!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

If you really want to know then here it is, but you might nit like it unless you are into 40k.

Slanesh gets "born" and sucks the souls out of the eldar race and this forms the eye of terror.
....in 40k story, when this happens, the warp storm cutting holy terra off from the galaxy gets dissipated and then the emperor embarks on his crusade.

In case you didnt notice, age of sigmar is the tale of what the emperor did while holy terra was in a warp storm and cut off.

What about the old world and all that? ....well the 40k fluff is ambiguous enough for it to fit. And since the warp/chaos stuff can slow down or speed up time, then anything is possible.

So maybe in the story sigmar does find slanesh and release him in order to end all the warp bubbles around the world.

In 40k fluff the early years are very sketchy for history. It just says that humanity advances technologically and colonizes the stars. Then holy terra is caught in a warp bubble for long time until slanesh is born and the bubble stops.

The wfb story is that tge old ones formed the planet, put warp gates at the poles, and put the races on the planet.
Tge story could easily be that earth gets engulfed in a warp storm, all but wiping out earth civilization. The old ones show up and fix it all up. Snatching the various races and putting them on the planet.
What caused the warp storm? ....a big giant warpstone moon showing up.

In 40k fluff, mars is colonized but cant reach earth because earth is stuck. The solar system is kinda stuck too but mars sends out techno guys when there is a lull in the warp storm to make the forge worlds or something.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

My headcanon has the 40K setting as the previous kalpa to the WHFB one, in the same way that WHFB preceeds AoS. The 40K setting is our own reality's distant future, of course. Magic/psychic powers/Chaos are slowly intruding into reality and become stronger each time Chaos temporarily 'wins'. Psykers are still rare among humans in 40K. Wizards are more common in WHFB and magic is more woven into the world with the Winds of Magic. In AoS, the Realms are basically made of magic and wizards are everywhere. They don't even have to worry about ending up as a daemonhost because they mispronounced something any more. Magic is no longer some dangerous outside force, but an integral part of reality. It's a fairly linear progression from 40K -> WHFB -> AoS.

That's why Slaanesh awakens in 40K (actually in 30K, but you know what I mean), but is already awake at the start of the WHFB setting and has been imprisoned at the start of AoS. It's a single linear story.

The 'Old Ones' in each kalpa are simply the last remnants of powerful mortals of the previous reality who have managed to transcend and so survive when Chaos ate everything else. As are the 'gods', as was made explicit in the End Times fluff. So Sotek in WHFB is maybe Vulkan or somebody from 40K. Malerion in AoS is canonically Malekith from WHFB. Alarielle in AoS is a composite of all the WHFB Everqueens (including the one called Alarielle), Ariel of the WE, plus the last remnants of Isha (who has been around since whatever kalpa came before 40K).

Sigmar is, of course, what appears once the Starchild (the Emperor's soul, plus the souls of his most faithful followers, plus all the psykers he's eaten to power the Astronomicon) finally awakens at the end of 40K. He is forced into hiding by the Chaos Gods and has to wait for a suitable mortal vessel to appear in the following kalpa (the WHFB setting) before he can start uniting humanity again.

What I expect to happen in 40K as it nears its own End Times is that Ynnead's awakening is disrupted and her power instead splits up and migrates to various mortal Eldar to recreate all the dead Eldar gods ready for them to return at the start of WHFB. Oh wait, the first part of that has already happened in Death Masque... ;)

There's a reason why Asuryan is a phoenix, after all. His 'hand' (Asurmen) would make a good vessel for a resurrection, don't you think? Nagash pulled that trick a couple of times, IIRC. And we have precedence in Malekith for someone we all thought was an Aspect of Khaine actually serving as a mortal vessel for Khaine's brother Asuryan.

I can rant on some more about why Morr is Khaine's other brother if anyone is interested. He was a mortal in 40K too...

van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

I sure am.
I Never played 40k, but i always was intrigued by the odd bits and pieces of fluff i picked.
Never had the money or the time for a second Miniature wargame, but especially now that im playing Spacemarine(awesome game bytheway) i'd love to read up on the 40k universe. and who knows it may finally lead up to me getting a squad .... Any tips on where to start reading(for free would be great), to learn more about the universe
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Valekith
Slave on the Altar

Post by Valekith »

All i know is Slaanesh better come back in all its titular glory!!
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Valekith wrote:All i know is Slaanesh better come back in all its titular glory!!

Slaanesh never really went away IMO - and I know there are those who believe otherwise, but they are of course totally wrong :twisted:

Seriously though, I thought the whole point of AoS was that players could field whatever they wanted, regardless of how broken it was or how current it was (Let's face it - nothing could be as broken as the AoS universe concept anyway) so in practice it would be quite possible for a player to field insane armies where you have Slaanesh daemonic chariots alongside Fimir warriors and (very) old-school Slann (You know - the ones who kept lobotomised human slaves - Wow, we're going back a bit now...)

So whether or not GW ever do anything "official" with Slaanesh is somewhat irrelevant. It'd be nice to see Her return in all Her excessive glory (If I was running things at GW, Slaanesh would be everywhere - but then you guys know that already :D) but ultimately the game doesn't belong to GW - it belongs to the players and the fans (Maybe not on paper, but in practice, GW have created an entire mythos and as with every other successful mythos, the fans get hold of it and it takes on a life of its own, and the original creators eventually lose control of it, especially if they don't continue to support it in the way that the fans would like them to, and at the end of the day, the players - especially long-time veterans who don't want to play in tournaments or in GW shops - will just do their own thing, and will keep the old lore alive...)

I still have a large (and still growing) 6th edition Druchii Cult of Slaanesh army which includes several units of my own invention (as do most of the armies belonging to our other group members - we all make up our own stuff now because GW don't seem to want to) such as Hellraiser-themed Cenobite cultists. One of these days I might even resurrect my most infamous Slaaneshi creation - the Dominatrix, Overfiend of Slaanesh (perhaps more commonly know on this esteemed website as "The Barbiefex") :twisted:

Anyway I digress - I think the point I'm trying to make is that if the fans continue to prefer the old lore then it will survive in one form or another, regardless of all the Fake News that GW is spreading about the End Times and the subsequent AoS debacle...
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

My new project for the year is a Slaanesh army - it's on the come back.

I think I need to change my avatar name though :oops:
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

Some of us never left the Cult of Slaneesh. :)
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.