Any future?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Any future?

Post by Calisson »

No more discussions on classic WH.
Contrary to what was hoped for, the new Elven factions in AoS do not trigger any interest here.
Still months to wait before T9A releases the new DE, I would hope end 2018 or early 2019.

Remains mostly P&M.

Anything which could be done for our beloved website?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ming
Black Guard

Re: Any future?

Post by Ming »

Hi, Calisson!
I have no idea, sadly.
I suppose we have to let go druchii.net.
You and some others tried bravely to keep it vital and hydrated, but to no avail.
Nonetheless, it will be a sad day, when this glorious site won't be online anymore.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes sad indeed - even after a major release in the past few months with Daughters and Deepkin.

I really think GW have themselves to blame for this mess, they have well and truly nerfed the community since end of times.

Sad times indeed.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

cultofkhaine wrote:Yes sad indeed - even after a major release in the past few months with Daughters and Deepkin.
I really think GW have themselves to blame for this mess, they have well and truly nerfed the community since end of times.
Sad times indeed.

What mess? AoS is doing fine, and both new aelven factions have created a lot of interest. Just not here. I seem to be the only AoS player on this site, and I don't have the time (or money, really) to start a new army right now (or even to paint more of the stuff I already have). So, even though I like both the Daughters of Khaine and the Idoneth Deepkin, there's not a lot I can say beyond "they look cool".

Single-faction forums are obsolete. The solution is, and has always been, combining with Asrai and Ulthuan. But Ulthuan refuses. So we are where we are.

But somehow it's all GW's fault? :badh:
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Sorry was not having a dig at AOS. Just the lack of interest we have been able to attract here for it.

I love the new models - don't have any $ for them at the moment.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Shadowspite wrote:But somehow it's all GW's fault? :badh:

GW, the Druchii's creators and owners, did make the decision to discontinue them as a supported faction (not to mention discontinuing their whole surrounding fantasy milieu & game system). So there's a fair degree of fault there ;)

Regardless, Net Forums, with few exceptions, aren't a particularly vital medium these days, and having a web address like Dodo.net also does not assist in keeping a pulse.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Well if anything Calisson has been able to rally the troops and see who is till lurking here, even if it is to have another winge about our dying forum :D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I think, sadly, the forum's decline can be attributed to four major factors:
- A gradual and natural drifting on of many of the forum's original inhabitants (due to work, kids, etc).
- The decline of forums as a medium for discussion in general.
- The arrival of AoS which, despite the good intentions of the mods here, does not align particularly well with a forum originally constructed to discuss Dark Elves in Warhammer Fantasy and not their successors in a totally different game.
- The appearance of alternative forums for discussing strategies and tactics for Dark Elves in their new environs (e.g. the 9th Age Discussion Boards).

I've suggested it before, but I do wonder whether transitioning the forum into a static resource might be worthwhile doing. There are some real gems on the website that used to be organically updated but are now unlikely to ever move forward again. Why not turn the DRAICH into a single, downloadable PDF, for example? I recognize it would involve a pretty big investment of time and that may be the biggest impediment to such a course (and I can't ask anyone else to do it, given that I definitely can't) but it might make the most sense at this point.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Wishing to read from Daeron.

From T9A, hopes to see a new DE army book released with background have been delayed.
Still in the pipes, but I would expect it no earlier than beginning of 2019.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have no problem to keep the forums running, doing maintenance. One server for 3 sites is within reason for costs too.
I routinely check if everything is running fine.
As for activity.. I don't know how to turn this around anymore. I think it's gone too far. But it's okay. I think D.net is still a good place and archive for WFB and I think we may yet see that game revive a bit.

The hobby itself, on my end, has grinded to a halt due to other interests. I'm somewhat active in a PC game community and that's a big killer on any hobby :)

Generally, I think GW is doing amazingly well with AoS and 40K. The sales reflect that. They bring out amazing stuff and their community work is blowing my mind every week. I don't see myself quit this game for good.. But for now and the coming 6 months (at least) I won't be active in it.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Similar issues are being discussed at Chaos Dwarfs Online, although we can't complain of dearth of activity all things considered. Lively discussion, lots of ideas. You might be interested in checking it out, in case anything of use for Druchii happens to lie in there.

Some points: Consolidation, resource library, getting our good stuff out there on FB and other gathering places to draw people in. Lots of detail tweaks.
The_Peacemaker
Dark Rider

Post by The_Peacemaker »

I'm mostly over on T9A website. I browse here when I post new picks of my army every few months.

But ya, its looking like combined forums is the way to go.
Shannar, sealord
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Shannar, sealord »

Shadowspite wrote:
cultofkhaine wrote:Yes sad indeed - even after a major release in the past few months with Daughters and Deepkin.
Sad times indeed.

What mess? AoS is doing fine, and both new aelven factions have created a lot of interest. Just not here. I seem to be the only AoS player on this site, and I don't have the time (or money, really) to start a new army right now (or even to paint more of the stuff I already have). So, even though I like both the Daughters of Khaine and the Idoneth Deepkin, there's not a lot I can say beyond "they look cool".

Single-faction forums are obsolete. The solution is, and has always been, combining with Asrai and Ulthuan. But Ulthuan refuses. So we are where we are.

But somehow it's all GW's fault? :badh:

I fail to see what combining with Ulthuan would actually accomplish for either site. Combining dwindling communities does not create new vitality. If you wanted to make this site for all/AoS elves here nothing is stopping you. If someone wanted to make an all new all (A)elf site nothing is stopping them. But it would face many of the same problems. Which is almost surely why it hasn't already happened. Why end the forums that many of us have enjoyed for years simply to try something new (that many are less interested in) that could be done by anyone who wanted to try it WITHOUT having to radically change any of these forums. They will eventually completely die out, but that's not a reason to end them early. The existence to Ulthuan.net and Druchuii.net do not prevent the creation of a new site.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

You're free to go look at the thread where this was discussed ad nauseam already. I see no purpose to rehashing it all here.

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Shadowspite wrote:You're free to go look at the thread where this was discussed ad nauseam already. I see no purpose to rehashing it all here.

Perhaps link to the thread so that newcomers can see to what you are referring - otherwise this is a bit like saying "the needle has already been placed into the haystack, so go find it already". Seems a shame to discourage folks with a relatively low post count by being so abrupt with them, especially when D.Net has so few posters these days anyway.

Unfortunately, the energy to go and do anything to try to consolidate / combine / etc D.Net is, I suspect, mostly gone now. Many long timers have left and for the others, taking on a major project that few appear to really care much about seems like a major hassle. Maybe it could have been done at the pivot point when it was clear that the forum needed saving but there was still quite a bit of activity going on. But now? No, I think the end for D.Net is sadly a slow march into forgotten irrelevance.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

You're right, I shouldn't have been so snippy. Here's the discussion thread: http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=77461

Warpix
Beastmaster

Post by Warpix »

I'm going to be in a narrative AoS campaign soon and should have some DoK coming my way in the coming weeks to paint and post about, which I'm looking forward to.

AoS doesn't have as much chatter as WFB did in the past for a few reasons. Namely that there are just fewer units in AoS to throw around, so list building isn't as big of a topic. And battle reports, though I've seen them, don't look as in depth as ones I remember in the past. If anyone would like me to document games and make battle reports, let me know, maybe there's some interest in it.

I remember coming back to this forum on a more regular basis for the play by post RPGs, but I think that style of RPG isn't as popular anymore.
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Warpix wrote:If anyone would like me to document games and make battle reports, let me know, maybe there's some interest in it.

I'd be interested.

Warpix
Beastmaster

Post by Warpix »

Cool, we should start gaming in September, so you'll probably see some updates then.
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting