Advice for 6th Ed.?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Striga86
Slave on the Altar

Advice for 6th Ed.?

Post by Striga86 »

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice on playing Dark Elves in 6th ed. WFB. I've acquired some miniatures to build and paint purely for fun. It turned out that there's a group playing 6th near my town so I thought 'why not' and decided to give it a shot at creating playable force and rolling some dice:) I own 60 Warriors, 5 Dark Riders, 1O Witches, two Reaper Bolt Throwers, 5 Shades, Cauldron of Blood and some characters. I know that warriors weren't super popular in 6th ed., but I like how they look and I'd like to run at least one unit. What else should I get? Which magic items aren't a waste of points? I'd appreciate your help:)
Ming
Black Guard

Re: Advice for 6th Ed.?

Post by Ming »

Hi Striga86,
sixth edition is a though one for dark elves.
Their army book was considered, by general consensus, the weakest.
Are you aware there was an official DE revision, to make the army more competitive?
Druchii.net had its moment of glory when GW, following its advice, introduced some changes in WD, making the army a little more viable (executioner wearing heavy armour, instead of light, and some other gizmo).
In particular, DE Warriors cost was reduced to 7pts each, making them cheap.
Cold one riders leadership was improved to 9.
Cauldron of Blood “Red Fury” range was increased to 24”
Shooting hits against the cauldron were randomized between the cauldron and its guardians, in the same manner as warmachines.
The spell “word of pain” could be cast on units in close combat.
There are other improvements in the revision, if you want I can send you the pdf.

Your minis allow to create a medium/small force of DE.
You lack heavy hitters, such as Cold One riders, Cold one chariots, Hydra, and Executioners.
I’d focus on obtaining at least one of these units.
You should create some character capable of dealing with heavy armored foes (he should be equipped with a two handed weapon or some magical sword).

Shades are good shooters and rules for skirmishers make them good screens and redirectors.
Reaper bolt throwers are good for monster hunting (single shot) or against cavalry and heavy infantry (multishot).

Let me know if you play 1000pts games or greater.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Striga86
Slave on the Altar

Post by Striga86 »

Thanks for your answer Ming, great info:) I wasn't aware that there was a revision. Which White Dwarf was it? Pdf would be very useful, thanks! I'll probably be playing 1250 pts games in the beginning.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

If you play 1250 points you have only one rare choice; so it’s gonna be 2 reaper bolt throwers or cauldron, but not both.
I’d choose bolt throwers.
The Cauldron is difficult to master, while Bolt throwers are not, and they usually buy back their cost, eliminating enemy units.

I tried to conceive an army with your models:
Heroes
General: Sorceress lvl 2, Dispel scroll + darkstar cloak - 150 pts
BSB: Noble. Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak, great weapon – war banner (magic item) 129 pts

CORE TROOPS
30 Warriors with shields and command group - 265 pts
10 Warriors with r.crossbow and shields – 120 pts
5 dark riders, with r. crossbow dark herald and musician – 141 pts

SPECIAL TROOPS
5 shades + bloodshade – 102 pts
10 witch elves with hag – 142 pts

RARE TROOPS
2 Reaper bolt throwers – 200 pts

Striga86
Slave on the Altar

Post by Striga86 »

How would you keep witch elves from getting shot to bits? Which lore do you think is fine for sorceress?
Bolt throwers look really fun, glad I can take both.
I can't reply pm's for some reason, I hope leaving my email here will be ok. It's strigovsky86@gmail.com.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Cover units. Run something cheap in front of them to soak missile fire.
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

You should screen your witches with shades.
Remember that, while frenzied, witches are immune to psychology and do not take panic tests from shooting or magic casualties.

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

That's pretty pricey for a sacrifical unit, don't you think? Besides, that takes shades away from one of their other big roles, warmachine hunting.

One of the best uses for witches I've found is to use them in minimum-size units in the chaff/chaff hunting/screening role in front of bigger units. Since they won't panic and run, they'll do their job to the last body, and once the lines close you just throw them heedlessly into combat where they'll do damage all out of proportion to their surviving numbers... and then die, leaving the charge-lane clear for you. of course, this works better in 8e with random charge ranges...

However, the best thing for DE to do in 6E is to beg to use the 7E book instead. The 6E book is pretty bad. Of course, if you can win with the 6E book you've earned some pretty hefty bragging rights...
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Better lore for the Sorceress is situational.
If you don't know who you will be facing, I'd go for Dark.