i'm i the only one around here still playing 8th ed.

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: i'm i the only one around here still playing 8th ed.

Post by Calisson »

That's not acceptable indeed.
We're trying to improve that but it takes time.
At least, the hostile anti-AoS stance is mostly a thing of the past.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Vulcan wrote:I was all for T9A when it was still "Nexthammer". Then it did a 90 degree turn and became "Nothammer" and I lost interest.

If it works for you, more power to you. Go, play, have fun. I'll stick to 8th.

I think the difficulty for 9th ed was always going to be whether it evolved over time (in which case it would potentially upset people who felt that it had left its roots behind and felt that 9th Age had been created specifically to freeze the game in time with the kind of rules they liked) or remain essentially the same core game for ever with just minor rules tweaks (in which case it would risk getting staid and old).

I've not played it, but it sounds like the group went for the evolution route. Both paths were going to be problematic for the above reasons, so they were really in a no-win situation.

Also, thanks for sharing the earlier conversation on the T9A forum Calisson, interesting to see the community's comments on it there.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Calisson wrote:That's not acceptable indeed.
We're trying to improve that but it takes time.
At least, the hostile anti-AoS stance is mostly a thing of the past.

Eh, no worries. I walked away and, to be frank, only marginally care. And that only because I bought minis for conversions for T9A units, like 'not-Slaneesh' Dark Riders and Warlocks on Steeds of Slaneesh...

They look pretty good, but it's a little depressing to know they have no place in a game I care to play.
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Red... wrote:8th edition was by far the best GW ever created. That may be a hugely controversial statement, but I'll explain my logic (in no particular order):

I must agree to that statement. Would have very much loved to stay there and enjoy my games.
But with the endtimes they destroyed my beloved Old World and also the gaming groups I knew.

For me that was a fullstop and my armies went into the basement for some years(live speed up in the meanwhile and got more busy :? )

As some of the old guys came around with 9th Age I was a bit hesitant and joined them for some games, mostly to see the people again.
But :) with the release of 2.0 beta last Christmas I got hooked, feel again into love with tabletop and have my beloved hobby back.
Played Mono Slaanesh, Chaos and now restarting Druchii and must admit the armies feel the correct way. I am in again :-)

And they are close to put the game to a next level. They have a realy good balancing, no more FAQ, erratas etc., very streamlined rules (just 8lores of magic etc.) ,many comapanies start to produce minis for the game (most are not as good looking as GW, but some offer realy good styles) and you have no more pay to win (or making units better to improve business figures) - and the rules and armybooks are free to download. What they stil lack is the fluff and background, but that should evolve over time.
Happy to found a new home & love after the Old World was f***** up by GW: http://the-ninth-age.com/
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Glad to hear that!
Thanks for the testimony!
Long live the Dark Elves! :twisted:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}