Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
9th Age Combat Calculator 
Slave on the Altar

Hi, first post here 8)

While I don't really have anything to do with Druchii per se, I'm making extensive use of the 9th Age Combat Calculator, because it is an excellent tool.

It has aged now a bit, though, and would need some updates, so my main question would be if it is still being updated at all? :badh:
If so, I'd have some remarks/suggestions...

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:01 am
Corsair
Corsair

This would be a question for Daeron.
May I suggest you wrote him a personal message?
This would reach him sooner.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am
Slave on the Altar

Thanks for the hint, but it appears I'm too new here to be able to send PMs... :(

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Corsair
Corsair

IIRC you need to have a total of 3 posts at least.
Designed to prevent spam from robots.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 am
Generalissimo

Just one more post needed then! Make it a good one! :)

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Sorry.. it took me a while to find this message. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, Calisson.

There is no active development at the moment, but I can take requests. What needs to be done?

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Slave on the Altar

Ah, excellent :P

I have been using the T9A Combat Calculator quite extensively over the past year, and all in all it's an extremely useful tool.
It just has a few things where it's no longer up to date.

The first is a glitch, whenever opening the site:

And whatever you enter, as soon as you hit Calculate, it will always give you an error for the #1 position:

If you Remove the #1 slot and create a new one, all works perfectly fine. But the first result is always this error.
So there is a workaround, but it is very tedious and it will give people the impression the tool isn't working, because at their first try they'll always get an error.

Second, for T9A there is now no worse to hit roll than 7+, which you achieve by rolling a 6 followed by a 4. Anything worse than that is no longer in the game and can be removed
All those extra results that shouldn't exist anymore make entering the correct hit score unnecessarily tedious.

One final thing that exists now in the game and that would be super useful in the calculator is "battle focus".
Battle focus means that each natural 6 to hit generates not one but two hits.

Maybe one more thing is that it isn't possible to calculate multiples of dice, for example you cannot enter 2*2d6 attacks - which is different to 4d6. That's a bit of a minor point though, because just using 4d6 in this case is close enough...

Thanks for your attention 8)

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:25 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

That can be arranged. I'll see what I can do!

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

• Bug fixed
  • Hit rolls of 8 and 9 removed. Support in the plotter remained, to preserve backwards compatibility and not break old plots.
  • Battle Focus can be done "reasonably easy". The core calculator is quite capable of handling it, but as it's been more than a year since I updated the code, it might take me a while to program it in.
  • Multiple of dice is the same deal. But just to be sure, you mean with 2*2d6 that, if you roll a 7, you have 14 attacks?

- The stiff breeze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

A few questions on rule combinations:
  • How does battle focus combine with poison? Does it give two automatic wounds? I'm guessing not, but then which rule takes precedence? For now I'll try to combine them, as it's the only clear resolution I can think of.
  • How does battle focus combine with a roll of 7+? Do the 6's still cause 2 hits? I'm guessing not... So will be ruling it like this for now.
  • When you have 2*2d6+2 attacks, and you roll a 7, do you get 16 or 18 attacks? In other words, is the +2 added before the multiplier (so being multiplied as well) or is it added after the multiplier? I'm guessing the latter.

- The stiff breeze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

Added the multiplier to the valid dice expressions. IE you can now have 2*2d6+2 attacks.
http://tools.druchii.net/9th-Combat-Cal ... 1:m0000&s=
Which rolls like

- The stiff breeze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

The Battle Focus will be for another day. If you can provide them, the answers to the above questions would be helpful.

- The stiff breeze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

Amazing work Dearon, I also still use the calculator on a regular basis.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 pm
Slave on the Altar

Daeron wrote:
A few questions on rule combinations:
  • How does battle focus combine with poison? Does it give two automatic wounds? I'm guessing not, but then which rule takes precedence? For now I'll try to combine them, as it's the only clear resolution I can think of.
  • How does battle focus combine with a roll of 7+? Do the 6's still cause 2 hits? I'm guessing not... So will be ruling it like this for now.
  • When you have 2*2d6+2 attacks, and you roll a 7, do you get 16 or 18 attacks? In other words, is the +2 added before the multiplier (so being multiplied as well) or is it added after the multiplier? I'm guessing the latter.

Oh, excellent work! 8)

As for the questions, the battle focus/poison interaction works a bit different in the rules (two hits, but only one of those auto-wounds), but this combination is so rare that it won't really matter (the only way you can currently get this combo is with spells).

Basically same answer for 7+ battle focus... it's such an implausible combination that it won't really matter either way...
(If you're interested though: if you roll a 6+ AND 4+, it will trigger battle focus)

Concerning multiplier and sums, you assume correctly - the usual mathematical rules apply :D

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]