Help! How do I kill mobile Chaos?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Help! How do I kill mobile Chaos?

Post by Jhaelrnya »

First off, I'd like to say how happy I am I found this site. I'm new to the site, but have been playing WHFB for 5 years. I started DE's a little while ago, have played very few games, but what I've seen here so far is really helping me out. Thanks.

I have a big problem. My friend, whos been playing longer than me by about a year, has a disgusting habit of using Khorne Warriors armies. And lately, hes been playing chariot based. FAST KHORNE CHARACTERS. *shudder* All my other amries have ways to deal with this easily (ie Empire-Great Cannons, Brets-larger charge reach) but im stuck on how to effectivly deal with blocks of Chaos Warriors with marks of Khorne, backed up by Chariot mounted Characters and Marauder Horsemen, with DE's (he even had the nerve to take a halfling hot pot merc last time!). I'd appreciate any feedback, as I said, I just started playing DE seriously. Thanks.
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

I'm back! But so very tired...
Maraith tuerl
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maraith tuerl »

Your best bet with khorne is always to bait and flee. use your DR to get within charge range, angle them to your advantage. When he charges (as he must, due to frenzy) you flee. He moves half range, you countercharge with something (like one of your own chariots, or a ranked unit) that can hit him in the flank and beat him (thereby getting rid of his frenzy and hopefully breaking him).

Use other fast units to bait his other stuff ot fail charges/marches so that you only have to fight part of his army at a time.
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

ok thanks any advice on what to use in the flanking? i have kind of figured out a lot of people like the Executioners+Banner of Murder combo. would a unit of 10-15 of them work for that?
any other advice would be appreciated:D
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

Maraith tuerl
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maraith tuerl »

kThat works, CoK work, CoC work, hydras work.. pretty much anything that gets through the save.
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Thanks a bunch. ill have to try that out soon.

Malda
Black Guard

Post by Malda »

Driders, failed charge,S6bolt from flank.... Non khorne warriors are bigger problem for me
Give me more Druchii and I'll give you more blood
Michel jacobs
Corsair

Post by Michel jacobs »

khorne is the weapekst most easily beaten amry in the game.

i rwecon you are playing 2000 points

give your highborne a gauntled and mount him on a cold one. then add a noble BSB with hydra banner and make some DR units

as rare just take 4 RBT

now with your small DR units, whenever he charges you, and he must, just choose flee, rember fast cav will rally automaticly when fleeing is a choosen respond, also you will be able to move normal after the flee action thus being fast cav :)

nou for the first couble a turns just make his lord do nothing chasing shadows, those stupid khorne freaks wil simply run circles all the time charging the nearest enemy, your DR

whilst doing so your RBT will have a couple a turns of target practice, with 4 of these those 24 APshots will really do it on his warriors

now when you feel ready make him charge your DR again, remember he has to perseu, and then just rear charge him with your cold ones. now that 7 wide cold one unit will do about 11 knights s5, 14 s4 cold one, 5 s8 no saves lord and 4s4 bsb attacks will really hurt, if the unit isnt detroyed it WILL flee, just make certain that the unit is well isolated.

just keep ramming him like that and by turn 7 or 8 his army will be gone, and those chariots, just hit them with singe bolts if they start frightining you 2 mutch

use this my freind

later
So tell me now, socalled champion, how does it feel to look me strait in the eyes, while your body lies 30 feet behind me

Last words from Malus to Valten
Berti
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Berti »

Oh, thats a Mistake.
Dark Riders DON´T rally automatically after choosing flee, they may only move after rally, as each Light Cavalry.
(See, the rules for light Cav. in the Rulebook).

The best bet is to force the Chariots (and Chars) to attack any unit in a wood or to force them to charge Dark Riders and flee.

Shades are awesome in a wood against Chariots (the Chariot will take D6 St. 6 Hits if he enters the wood, AND if he will move again, it will take again D6 St 6 Hits.

The attack in the flank is dangerous, because of the combat skill of the Chaos CHar, and the superb Armor save of the Chariot (3+) and char.
So you need a large unit (with ranks, and standart, and outnumber + flanking bonus), or a unit which is able to deal out enough damage to kill the Hero or the CHariot.

Bernhard
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: Help! How do I kill mobile Chaos?

Post by Thanee »

Jhaelrnya wrote:(he even had the nerve to take a halfling hot pot merc last time!).

ROTFLMAOATTOAMKWABUBSPHC! ;)

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off at the thought of a mighty Khorne Warrior army backed up by some puny halfling cooks!

About your question... you'll have to get a flank charge on the warriors to have a decent chance of beating them in combat. I guess only COK would even stand a chance to take them frontal, if anything.

Dark Riders are obvisouly great to lure them into position, as has been said.

Stick your Highborn with Gauntlet of Power into a unit of 5 Cold One Knights and take another bigger unit (9-10 maybe with a Noble with Blade of Ruin, or BSB with Hydra Banner). These should be able to deal a lot of damage.

I'd not advise on using Executioners, as they will only have one chance to break them before they get cut down. Witch Elves (Hag + Manbane and maybe also an Assassin with Manbane and Rune of Khaine) can defeat them, unless you are going up against Chosen with shields (or any Warriors with shields, that is - high armour save = no good target for Witches).

Chaos Chariots and Warriors are not exactly fast, RBTs can thin out their ranks quite a bit before they reach your line. Use those 2 or 3 turns before engaging them in close combat. A unit of 5 Harpies and/or Shades can quite effectively march-block them meanwhile (the Warriors, not the Chariots ;)).

Bye
Thanee
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

Thanks people. this is really helping. next time ill show him what Druchii are really made of...(lets just hope its not litterally this time :\)

Mizmi
Shade

Post by Mizmi »

Shades are awesome in a wood against Chariots (the Chariot will take D6 St. 6 Hits if he enters the wood, AND if he will move again, it will take again D6 St 6 Hits.

why will the chariot even enter the woods in the first place?

i'll say get rank and file units, like 24-30 RXB spearman in a 6x4/6x5 formation. Fight fire with fire perhaps? Like others mentioned, make them get a failed charge and ram your block of warriors into theirs. Get another unit (the DRs if they've hopefully rallied) to hit the flanks to cancel out the rank bonus. This way, it doesnt matter even if you dont do enough wounds and they do quite a number of wounds in return since you'll be starting with a hopeful 7+ or so in CR. (3Ranks,Outnumber, Cancelling outnumber, Cancelling 3 ranks) nd he's on his way to losing real soon!
*The Best Druchii is a Dead Druchii*