Uses Corsairs instead of Witch Elves.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Shiakhan
Warrior

Uses Corsairs instead of Witch Elves.

Post by Shiakhan »

Due to the clog up in the special section I have been experimenting with frenzied corsairs. I use Witch elves in unit of 12 with musc. and Hag with extra attacks. And for similar points I have been using 12 corsairs with full command and Frenzy banner instead. Will they do not have the poison they do have better armour and have been surviving a heck of a lot better than the witch elves ever do. So just to put that out there for people who like the witch elves attack potential and can't seem to fit them in with all the other juicy options in special now. They have been a good serviceable substitute for them. And they are core so can't go wrong there. Just my 2 cents. Try it you may like it I certainty do.
Druchii1988
Beastmaster

Post by Druchii1988 »

I love the idea of freeing up a special slot and I am going to remember it for sure! Also, I think this setup is just better against Wood Elves for instance. However, in an all comers list, I would prefer WE with BoM, led by a hag with manbane. Corsairs unfortunately do not offer that many options.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Three S3 attacks is the issue with the corsairs. They may be a good alternative to spearmen but without the autowound function of poison they will struggle more than WEs to get ACR. I know some folks have been running them in big bloks with the SSS. I will field some xhw corsairs wth the SSS and see how it goes. It is worth a try.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

I prefer either really cheap warriors without shields, or witches with the banner of murder.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Good point Shia'. 3 attack corsairs, combined with the cauldron's killing blow give more chances than witches because of their poison... so i will be trying this out at some stage...
Shiakhan
Warrior

Post by Shiakhan »

Going against some dwarfs in a couple days so will see how it goes against toughness 4. With hatred hopefully can get some wounds past the toughness 4 and high armor saves.
Undeadcatd
Noble

Re: Uses Corsairs instead of Witch Elves.

Post by Undeadcatd »

If I am going to field corsair with frenzy banner , I would use a bigger unit then 12..it's become too expensive with a banner ,which's 100 more victory point
But , yes , the COB -Frenzy corsair combo is great idea , which might even better than COB-Ap witch in some situation(KB the vampire!)
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I think the Corsairs with Frenzy sound a lot better than witches.Against T3 enemies poison isn't really that helpful and I would usually much prefer the 5+ armour save.(4+ vs shooting) it just makes the unit suddenly a lot more survivable.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Druchii1988
Beastmaster

Post by Druchii1988 »

Against Dwarves I think Witch Elves are a better idea than frenzied Corsairs though. Reason is a lot of S4+ and AP shooting making the corsair armour saves less useful.

Additionally, against dwarves it is good to have both BoM and manbane in case you need to use the cauldron blessing on one of your other units. Of course, you could always take both WE and corsairs!
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

If I take a list with CoB - I'll take frenzied corsairs any time. 3 S3 KB attacks is the way to go. In such combination Corsairs can substitute both WEs and Executioner's while being core. Against low-armored foes I will give Corsairs +1A (for a total of 4!) and against high-armored foes I'll go for KB.

Without the CoB however I will rarely ever use Corsairs on their own. Small units of WEs and Executioner's will still be better.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Evilelf
Corsair

Post by Evilelf »

I haven't tried this yet, but keep building lists with it ever since reading the White Dwarf BATREP combined with Dark Aliance's list using a large block of Corsairs with frenzy banner. I like the idea of adding an assassin into the mix--he gets +1 attack, combined with Rune of Khaine and two HW that's like 6-8 ASF, Manbaned (or black lotus) Hatred attacks during the first round. With a cauldren into the mix and the entire unit with KB (including the assassin) you're going to slay almost anything.

I love the idea of our magic banners (and CoB) boosting an already killing machine to new levels of killiness--the fact that the entire unit benefits is too good. Of course, this is all "Theory-Hammer." All of my army is getting packed up as I prepare to deploy to Iraq for a year. So I'll have to live vicariously through all of you guys/gals on Druchii.net.
"No sense in beating a dead High Elf; except maybe for the joy of it." attributed to Marterist Grimore, Dark Elf Noble, General, and all-around mean guy.
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

EvilElf wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but keep building lists with it ever since reading the White Dwarf BATREP combined with Dark Aliance's list using a large block of Corsairs with frenzy banner. I like the idea of adding an assassin into the mix--he gets +1 attack, combined with Rune of Khaine and two HW that's like 6-8 ASF, Manbaned (or black lotus) Hatred attacks during the first round. With a cauldren into the mix and the entire unit with KB (including the assassin) you're going to slay almost anything.

I love the idea of our magic banners (and CoB) boosting an already killing machine to new levels of killiness--the fact that the entire unit benefits is too good. Of course, this is all "Theory-Hammer." All of my army is getting packed up as I prepare to deploy to Iraq for a year. So I'll have to live vicariously through all of you guys/gals on Druchii.net.

I hope you'll return after the year.

You're extremely right about the killingmachinery we can launch due to the new rules and all the standarts/the cauldron. I just want to let anybody know that not every kind of army can actually field a cauldron i.e. a raiding band of corsairs has no reason for it...

However I've found a model that can substitute our CoB and make it look moveable with no hard converting work at all:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... orignav=13

Just add some We models and you're done ;)

I hope you like it!
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

It's actually better to use the cauldron on Frenzied Corsairs as they will always roll to wound. WE on the other hand doesn't always do that due to poison, when you roll a 6 to hit you AUTO-wound which is kind of a fuss when you have KB on them... Still it's a good alternative.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Most often your gonna find that Corsairs can take and handle the job just as well or damn near close to as well as WE's.
But every once in awhile you stand in a situation where WE's would just do it better.
A unit of 2-3 (imagine the rest have been killed) WE's can still cause alot of pain in enemies. A Hag with Manbane can take down some heroes in a duel. The Corsairs needs an incredible amount of luck in this case.

Apart from this 1 point I think that yes Corsairs are a worthy substitute if you need the special slot freed up. But ofcourse it all comes down to army composition. If you have ample screeners WE's are still better. If you dont have screens Corsairs will do better because they are resilient to shooting and because people see them as weaker because they are core and might shoot at them less.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.