[PLOG] Something Wicked This Way Comes…

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

[PLOG] Something Wicked This Way Comes…

Post by Saori_nightstar »

Something Wicked This Way Comes…

This is my ‘PLOG’ for my Druchii force. Thought I’d share with you some photos of my army/models as I'm painting. I am by no means a pro painter, just like the look of a nice table top army! :)

Army Information:
Main Colour Theme: BLUES
Banners: BLOOD RED
Metal: Chainmail/mythril, except for special cases where breastplate will be blue.
Skin: Elf flesh
Basing: Naggaroth Rock - black sand, highlighted greys.

My army has a distinctive ‘blood red Dragon’ banner theme running throughout the majority of the ranks. Originally the army colour was mostly purple (as in the Dark Elves Army book). Slowly over the past year I have moved into a more ‘blue’ colour theme (my fav colour hehe), and I have been using the beasts & creatures of the army to add a bit of variety to the overall army colour.

I will update the first lot of posts when the models/units are completed. Thanks for looking and for any advice shared :D
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Image Image Image
Lil' Waaagh Army | DRUCHII PLOG

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

CHARACTERS:

MALUS DARKBLADE
Image Image

DARK ELF NOBLE
Image Image
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Image Image Image

'I may have the week and feeble body of a woman, I but I can assure you, I have the heart and stomach of a King!' - Elizabeth I
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

UNITS:

SHADES
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

ARMY PHOTOS: - reserved
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Ok so atm I have way too many things on the go, as well as trying to paint my partners O&G army. Some models are near completion others i am starting due to needing them in my army for our family club's game day in July. So here what Im working on atm:

BEASTMASTER
My WIP beastmaster. Just sorting base colours. This was put on hold for a while, but now pushing to get this model finished. Shouldnt take too long!

COLD ONE KNIGHTS
Ok so nearly finished this uni, I think :? LOL just last few bits of detail and a general tidy up.
I took into consideration pointers from the last plog where I was using too many colours on the riders, so I limited the pallett and they look much better already! - Thanks for the tip!

WARRIOR UNIT
So just done the base colours atm, Midnight blue with chain mail armour and the blood red banner. Next will be the spears then the washes.

CAULDRON OF BLOOD - Really really need advice on this!
Ok so i was trying to get a 'marbled' rock/stone effect but it just looks like a load of birds have pooped all over it - :shock: Not a good Look.
If anyone has any tips on how to do this effect please help! LOL
Image Image Image

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

How to paint stone/marble effects (or at least the best tutorial I've found so far...)
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page561.html

While I think your colour pallette is a little bit al-over-the-place, your lines are clean and your bases are basic and consistent. You're off the a good start for a decent table-top quality army!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

They look good. :) I really like the scheme you have used on your cold ones, I'll be using a grey over creme scheme when I paint my beasties up. Good luck with that marble; very ambitious to try, but it will really be a talking point when you pull it off!
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Very cool cold one knights! :D

I like the Malus cold one conversion too - didnt realise it was a conversion at first! :p
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

love the colors on the shades
handsome jack
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Thanks guys! thanks for the Link to the marble effect! deffo gunna try the black marble out!

Also - What do people think about using Vampire Counts VARGHEISTS as Harpies?
Im just not sure how big they are in comparison to normal Harpies/demonetts ect. I have been looking for a good model to use as i dont like the GW ones and this is the first thing I have seen where im like - oooh maybe! They would look awsome I reckon :twisted:
Image Image Image

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Vargheists are on 40mm bases while Harpies are only on 20mm bases. I don't think it will work.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I'd rather keep an eye on the raging heroes release coming up... http://www.ragingheroes.com/blogs/news/ ... to-get-you

Put wings on that one and hope that the upper arms end up a bit thicker (Or just greenstuff a bit), and you have a really goodlooking harpy. Not as monstrous, but very nice.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

@phierlihy: Ok Thanks - Thought they looked alot bigger, darn :(

@Omnichron: Oh yea! I thought of Harpies when I saw them - Just want them to look bit more 'Grrrrrrrrr' beasty like rather than more half naked women LOL I ordered their witch elves tho :D

@phierlihy:I am giving the marble effect ago! Thanks for the link, its been very helpfull! Will post some pics when its completed.

UPDATE:

Getting there with my unit of 20 warriors (pics to come!) - First time I have done such a big unit lol but it coming along well. Also have been converting a sorceress for my 'ice dragon' - the plan is she will have 'fire like' hair to stand out :D LOL so been building the 'new' Druchii sorceress' hair up to be more full and flowy. This has come from my love of the older OOP Witch Elves with their BIG and colourful hair - Just Love em hehe

Been trying to get some of my Fiancé's O&G army done - im trying to get him into Warhammer, he agreed to give his own army a go if i painted it for him :shock: Its nice to paint a different army thats different colour to what im used too, but it will set me back on my own army for a bit. Have a club games day coming up in july so want most of my army painted and looking sweet! hehehehe :twisted:

EDIT:

Been getting rather distracted by other units and scenery - But I vow to finnish these before I start my 2 new units - Raging Hero's 'Witch Elves' and GW's 'Executioners'!!!
Ok so pics of my unit of 20 warriors so far! Just base colouring them ready for the next stages :D

Image Image

Also been converting my Sorceress for my 'Ice Dragon'. Exstended her hair and thinking of adding a back cloth/dress piece. The idea is her hair will be fire red to stand out. Fluff on her to come :)
On the dragon I have just got the Icey effect to do using glitter, varnish and lots of grey/whites - and of course RED eyes LOL

Image Image

Image Image
Image Image Image

Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Coming along well there, Saori! :) How long did it take to do those hair extensions?
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Thanks Nightcall :D

I Cant really say how long it took as I been doing so many things all at once LOL There are quite a lot of layers, but it wasn’t too bad once I got the flow of twisting that green stuff! The side and top was just done with a knife rather than individual twists. I have been looking for the right model for ages, with that BIG hair look, so decided to make do with the current sorceress :)

EDIT:

I GOT THEM, THEY CAME :D YAY
My lovely unit of Wicked-ness has arrived mwahahahahahaaaaa :twisted:
Will be painting these up AFTER I finnish my current units LOL have way to many on the go. So got my unit of Warriors, Beastmaster, Hellbron convertion and lats bits on my COKs and Corsairs to do before I even think about these girlies!

Image Image Image

Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

OK so its been a busy year and hardly any painting has been done :/ Just starting to get back into it after a few games, really wanting my army looking table top worthy :)

I have done some work on my COB, STILL WIP, trying out the marble effect as via the link you guys shared - I rather like the look now! :D Its a big improvement from the pigeon pooping stage it was before LOL
Still lots of detailing to finish but thought I'd share some pics of it so far :) Also making an extra base for it to sit on - so I hoping it will look kool when done!

Image Image

Also been working on some scenery and my COK's - Pics to some soon!
Last edited by Saori_nightstar on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

The effect you used for the Khane's 'skin'(?) turned out amazingly. Would you be willing to share the recipe?
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Saori_nightstar
Black Guard

Thank you and of course I can share it :D phierlihy kindly shared a Link for Marble effects above, here it is: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page561.html :)
Image Image Image

Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

Wow, I gotta say I used that same tutorial to paint my own COB avatar statue but you really pulled it off masterfully. On mine it didn't quite turn out looking like real marble, yours is breathtaking, I tip my hat to you madam!
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman