Cauldron of Blood

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Myric
Slave (off the Altar)

Cauldron of Blood

Post by Myric »

Can the CoB join any unit or does it have to be Witch elves?
Thetosh
Black Guard

Re: Cauldron of Blood

Post by Thetosh »

Any unit, but Witch Elves get the best benefit.
Myric
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Myric »

Cool, was thinking outside the box and putting it in a unit of Corsairs with the two weapon option.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Not worth the huge investment. Cauldron is only really worth it with witches.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Myric wrote:Cool, was thinking outside the box and putting it in a unit of Corsairs with the two weapon option.
Dalamar wrote:Not worth the huge investment. Cauldron is only really worth it with witches.
Dalamar provided the common wisdom.
Thinking outside the box, you could consider the COB with corsairs indeed, for the sake of durability (especially the durability of the sorceress you wish to place in the unit). Execs can be considered as well.
Thinking further away, you can even consider to join a unit of COK. I doubt Warlocks could be worth joining.
Thinking always further, you could consider not one, but two or three units for the COB, and join whichever fits best against the opponent in the given circumstances.

And please report, we love out of the box thinkers. :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Blackguard would be an interesting choice. Witches of course are optimal.
Myric
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Myric »

Thanks all. I am playing a 2500 dwarf list. He typically brings hammerers, long beards and a gyro bomber and copter. We do closed lists for our narrative battles so he may surprise me. I do not have any witch elves so that is why I am wanting to use it for something different. The black guard maybe an option with their already 2 attacks would give them three with frenzy. Put the BSB on the cob with the razor standard and that may do some damage against his high armor save. I have to kill them pretty much to a man because he takes that banner that makes them stubborn or steadfast.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Don't put the BSB on the Cauldron. He'll just cannonball her off the Cauldron.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

I heard some interesting advice recently about BSB's on the cauldron. If you go that route, make it something like the +1 movement banner. Chances are she'll die quickly into the battle. So when picking standards for the DH, go with something that won't require her resilience.

But in considering the 40pts that constitutes a BSB and banner of swiftness, you could do better putting those points in other places. Like 4 more witches.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

What about 30 sisters of slaughter ?
MexicanNinja
Shade

Post by MexicanNinja »

Vulcan wrote:Don't put the BSB on the Cauldron. He'll just cannonball her off the Cauldron.

I put a BSB on my death hag leading the CoB all the time. My opponents usually only get a singe cannon shot on her because the unit of CoK's she joins is making a charge on turn 2.