A look at the Dark Elves 2024 PDF

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

A look at the Dark Elves 2024 PDF

Post by Saintofm »

Based ona speclaion thread I started on the Empire Fan forum link below this, what are our thoughts on what they have.
https://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
And the thread itself
https://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/i ... ic=56352.0

Dreadlords and Masters: Stat wise I got what I was expecting. I am surprised by how permissive the new magic item rules for battel standard bearers are. Before you could have magic gear or a magic banner, but now you can have your 50 point allotment and any price magic banner.

THe sea dragon cloak is only an extra layer of protection against range units, so right now the better plate armor option (unless i put my guy on foot) is looking good for both while mounted. My Main just has it as decore for now.

As for the rules. Eternal Hatred and Hatred of High Elves checks (before it was Malus, Malekith, and Black Guard, I guess all the lords get it now)

If I have a disapointment, its the Master no longer can take a manticore as a mount.

Murderous means when they have 1, just 1, none magic hand weapon they reroll nat 1s to wound. This is a army wide rule, and I like the old version better when it was nat 1's to wound regardless of weapon. Hope this gets fixed if we get a proper book.

Strike First on a Lord sounds good. Its not all units, but when you are at the top of Dark Elf society everyone wants you dead, so it makes sense they hit hard and fast.

Have not read all the spell lores yet, but battle magic and daemonology are a solid, and i have mxed feelings on Dark Magic. Will have to look up Illations and elementalism more for details. I do like the two army spells though.

Elvin Reflexes (+1 initative on first combat), Hekarti's Blessing (can reroll one failed spell in the game), Lore of Naggaroth, Murderous, Eternal Hatred and Hatred of High Elves.

States are largely what I expected save for the extra attack on the supreme sorceress (I wonder if high elves get that...I haven't gotten my army books I preordered in yet). With the exception of the Supreme sorceress which has gone up by 10 ponts I think, every one else has gone down in price. So looking good.

Lore of Naggaroth spells: Cursing word is new name but feels like an old spell, and Black Horror was a roll of 6 on most older DE lores for a reason.

Cursing Word: Hex that remains in play that reduces either WS or BS by 1. Make sure there are no other hexes you like on the unit, as it makes them expire the moment it is cast on them.

Black Horror: Magical Vortex on a Large blast template, dangerous terrain, 2d6 random movement in a random direction in the start of turn phase. Every Enemy Unit (says enemy so maybe friendlies are immune) that moves though it or it moves over must make D6 strength Saves, and loose a wound for every failure. I already see this being fun.

No Fleetmaster or rules for it, so guesing that model will be a Dreadlord or Master for game purposes.

High BEastmaster is about the price of a Noble, and like previously must be mounted (scourge runner chariot or manticor). Can have spear, whips which I think allow you to attack in extra ranks, repeating crossbow, shield, heavy armor or keep their light armor, sea dragon cloaks and magic items up to 75 points. Like a Master but slightly better. Same specual rules as the master save for the Goad beast which is done to a monster in the command phase in their command range, which can be their mount. Until the end of the turn, they gain +D3 to their attacks, which will be fun with mantis, hydras, or the K beast.

Death Hags: I have a few Drukari Sucubus to be used as them, and I might get that new glatiatrix with the whip in the Daughters of Kkain to be one. Sadly no lord choice options.

About what I expected, no longer a BSB option. Have loner so can only join other witch elves or the sistes of battle. Can be on a cauldron of blood (more detail on that later). All the Dreadlord Rules, plus frenzy, poison attacks, and instead of hating just high elves they hate EVERYONE.

They can take Cry of War (-1 to enemy leadership while they are within her comand range and not fleeing, and considering her couldron has terror not bad. Also considering her front rank of witch elves will lay down the attacks, yeah this is going to be fun.)
Rune of Khaine: They gain an Extra Attacks of D3.

Witch Brew: They, their mount, and their unit can never loose frenzy.

Assassins: Wish they could get some of the gifts of khaine as well, but their poisons work well enough. Lower LD, Hate Everyone Eternal Hatred, Immune to psychology, murderous, and first strike. They also have hidden meaning they can be secretly deployed in any friendly infantry unit excluding harpies (but can be in Witch Elves, you tell me how he's hiding) if they have a starting unit strength of 10 or more. Can be reveaed at any srat of turn subphase or any combat phase. If his unit is destroyed or flees off the board before he can be revealed, he is considered a loss too. So keep track of the unit they are in. They cannot be the army general.

They can take an extra hand weapon or handbow

And they have options for the following poisons:

Black Lotus: Each unsaved wound inflicted by this charecter deals to a target gives it a -1 to its LD (I am guess its stackable). I tink this will be better for more monster charecters like Ogres or riding a monster.
Dark Venom: Killing blow, my old stand by.
Manbanse: Always wounds ona 4+, not bat. Not bad at all.

Wish they could take both mundane weapon options, and i miss some of the options like rending stars from back in the day. That said, I can already see a monster hunting build and a duelist build.

Mounts: it seems like equipment, mounts get one pricing instead of lordly and hero pricing before, so this makes things earier. Also assume it has Swift Stride unless I say otherwise.

Dark Steed: About what I was expecting, just a slightly faster pony at Movement 9 and Initiative 4. It grants its rider Fast Cavalry rules.

Coldones: My babies. My Murder raptors and Battle Cows. They have a movement of 7, and suffer stupidity but they have elvin riders so won't be too much of a problem. They also cause fear, thick skin (1) so bonus to armor, 2 attacks, +1 to your rider's toughness, Armor bane 1, and first charge.

Dark Pegasus: Forget the noble steeds of Brettonia, this is a murder pony. also cheaper, they were 50 points before. Being monstrous, they give their rider +1 wound but not toughness. A decent combat mount at S4, I4, 3 attacks. If they are ever grounded for whatever reason (like that brettonian magic horn that was leaked months ago) they still have a move on 8.

Other special rules this pony has to offer is armor bane 1 only it has, Counter charge, first charge, and a fly speed of 10. Perfect for hyper mobile nobles on the cheap or spellcaster wanting a better angle on her spells.

The Cauldron of Khaine is a chariot but it also has the dragged along rule. 4 up armor ,Close order, Elvin Reflexes, Hatred everyone, frenzy, D6+1 impact hits, Large Target, Magic Resistance -1, poison attacks, and terror.

It also has a boundspell (level 2). The spirit of Khaine spell is an Enchantment that targets the user, high coast, but any death hag, sister of slaughte, or witch elf unit within the command range gains one of the following: Furious Charge, Cleaving Blow (works like killing blow, nat 6's to wound ignore armor and regeneration on infantry, heavy infantry, warbeasts, light cavalry, and heavycavalry). No monsterous, monster or chariots can be effected and an auto wound ignores this ability.

Overal not bad. If you are running witch elves or the Sisters of SLaughter, this would be a good unit and if you are comeing in from AoS with Daughters of Khain, you probably already have a few. I know as soon As I fix my Couldron up, I will be doing that with my Sisters of Slaughter. Now that I am going over this again, I think it sucks the Executioners can't get this, so if you wanted to do a cult of khaine themed army, they get no blessings.

Manticore: About 20 points cheaper, a good brawler that grants the riders +1 toughness and +4 wounds (i am really likening this). It does have a Scaly Skin heavy armor. Fly of 9, large target, D3 stomps, Terror, and the willful beast rule is what I thought would still be around : Start Turn Sub Phase, it needs to pass an LD test or become subject to frenzy until the next friendly start of turn subphase. This gives it a bit of a flavorful wildcard flavor. Still useing the rider's LD so chances are it will pass, but everyone has that time the dice gods like to mess with you.

THe one area i think is weak is the 15point upgrade of venomous tail. One of your attacks must be made with this, which is poisoned and has first strike. Give its strength, its good, but it lacks the -2 AP of the others claw attacks. Only striking at Initiative 10 is good. I also miss the killing blow rule.

Black Dragon: More than I expected, especially with the wound and toughness increase to the rider (guess they truly are one mount now). Also 20 points cheaper than last edition.

The melee attacks are impressive. 5 regular ones of the claws at -2 AP. One with the map lacks armor pircing, but makes up with Armor Bane 2 and Multiple wounds 2. So perfect for duels and fighting other monsters.

Its scales count as having full plate, has hatred of high elves, large target, D6 stomps, and terror. Strength 7 is stronger than I expected. Its attack
Noxious breath works about as well, maybe better than last time. Until your next Start of Turn Subphase, any unit that takes a wound from thisS4 Breath attack gets -1 to their WS as they deal with the mustard gas attack. Oh, and no armor.

The dragon is back and knows how to rock and roll!

Overall the only thing I am disappointed in slightly is the Manticore, and thats only slightly. I was hoping to get what High Elves and Wood Elves are Getting, but maybe in the next couple of years if DE prove popular enough.

What are your thoughts, and until next time: Hail Khain the Bloody Handed!
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Angelizdark
Slave on the Altar

Re: A look at the Dark Elves 2024 PDF

Post by Angelizdark »

Beastmaster is a a Dreadlord for the price of a Noble!

I agree on the Manticore, why pay more for losing -2 ap.

Unfortunately, no more Noble on a Dark Pegasus. Was my favourite unit before :(