TOW Faction win rates

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

TOW Faction win rates

Post by Bobba Looba »

Interesting read up on win rates for the Old World:
https://woehammer.com/2024/03/25/the-ol ... arch-2024/

The amount of data is still limited of course, but so far Dark Elves seem to do fairly average compared to other factions. At games with higher points levels, (2000pts), we seem to do better.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: TOW Faction win rates

Post by Daeron »

I like that spot. Since we're a legacy army, we are at risk of getting locked out if we're too powerful, or being ignored if we're too weak.
For my local gaming group, this is also a good spot. You don't want to have to hold back... too much. :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: TOW Faction win rates

Post by Clockwork »

Bobba Looba wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:34 pm Interesting read up on win rates for the Old World:
https://woehammer.com/2024/03/25/the-ol ... arch-2024/

The amount of data is still limited of course, but so far Dark Elves seem to do fairly average compared to other factions. At games with higher points levels, (2000pts), we seem to do better.
I’m not surprised. Below 2k you are locked out of taking both a dragon and a level 4, and imo that’s just crippling. To the point that I’d say dark elves simply aren’t competitive at sub 2k.

This is mostly a problem with the core rules where, sadly, the best answer to a lv4 is another lv4, and without one you are hamstringing yourself. That there are no good magic defence items for a level 2 is appalling.

Unfortunately, in dark elves, the black dragon is also the best threat. Knights are very good but not wholly reliable due to stupidity and also die to other dragons. So you really want the dragon to offset this.

This is exacerbated because some other armies can take monster lords and level 4s at sub 2k; or they don’t need the dragon as they have combat units that actually do stuff at reasonable cost without glaring weaknesses (and with tools to deal with monsters).

I’m at 5 games now and have moved to 1.5k where these issues are much more transparent; to the point that, if the game balance doesn’t seriously improve at 2k (or isn’t FAQed), then I’ll be dropping it.

NB I’m not saying dark elves are the worst army. Eyeballing it, empire, Skaven and dwarves are all bottom tier. But dark elves do seem to have much more limited choices than at first glance, and some very difficult matches as a consequence.