Question about corsairs

The place for all game discussions on Age of Sigmar.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

AAL
Slave on the Altar

Question about corsairs

Post by AAL »

I was looking to put together some corsairs as part of my new AoS army but was wondering what people thought about crossbows vs. the cutlasses. I like the idea of the shooting and stabbing skirmish group but I'm not so great at actually telling which would be better. Any thoughts?
Phox532
Executioner

Re: Question about corsairs

Post by Phox532 »

I believe that they get both weapons. So you don't have to choose :)
Phox Jorkarzul
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Phox is wrong, unfortunately. Each unit has either one or the other.

I think shooting is so powerful in AoS that you're almost always better off taking the shooting option on a unit when it is available.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Did GW up the profile of them? I didn't remember Wicked Cutlass and Vicious blades having different separate attack profiles. But I will also confess that I converted all of my Corsairs into Black Guard, so I only played with them one time and that was over a year ago.

That said go with the repeater X-Bows, they are crazy deadly.
Phox Jorkarzul
Zerthin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Zerthin »

I just did some math and well...
From simple math comparision (comparing only potential damage) handbows are flat out better while your Corsairs are smaller than 20 models and don't get Flashing Steel bonus. After that It gets even (ish).
But it's not that easy because there are 2 rounds of close combat for every round of shooting.
This means that Cutlass in units bigger than 20 models always deals more damage. Downside is: in close combat Corsairs WILL die. Upside? Their Notorious Raiders ability actually works!

Now... That was mathematical point of view. Truth is in melee you only get 2 lines of units into actual combat. That gives us at best 20 Corsairs actually fighting.

In order to get and keep Flashing Steel for some time you'll need minimum of 30 Corsairs. That gives you 20 Cutlass attacks OR 60 Handbow attacks. Shooting is devastating BUT if your opponent engages you in melee they'll quickly kill Handbow ones with near to no retaliation. If you get unlucky with turn order rolls that may hurt a lot.

I'm afraid I have standard AoS response to you. Go with whatever you like best. Power wise they're comparable.
And let us know what sort of army you're building. Maybe one choice fits better than the other (due to lack of shooting or meele capabilities).
Or do what I did and magnetize them 1 hand. It's pretty quick and simple.

(Please note that no matter what you do Darkshards or Bleakswords are a better choice. Even though Corsairs look way better =P)
Phox532
Executioner

Post by Phox532 »

Zerthin wrote:
(Please note that no matter what you do Darkshards or Bleakswords are a better choice. Even though Corsairs look way better =P)

This is why I turned my into Black Guard.
Phox Jorkarzul