Night Watch (possible spoiler)

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Night Watch (possible spoiler)

Post by Rasputinii »

Hi all,

So, I watched Night Watch last night (a superb film I might add) but one thing has been bugging me all day about it. Why can the Light Others not See the Dark Others? Or rather why can they not see some dark others? Primary thing being when our Hero has his fight to the death with the murdering Dark Other, why can he not see them?

Its really beginning to bug me.

Also, any idea when Day Watch is set to come out?

Ras
Pleased to be back
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

I take it you're referring to the Edward Scissorhand-wannabe scene? ;)
It's been a while since I saw the movie so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the ability to become invisible was tied in to that person, not to the faction as a whole. Within the faction are people with different powers such as clairvoyants (sp?), vampires and shapeshifters. He just ran into someone less inclined to make a fashion statement.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I thought that at first, but he was a Vamp, as was his Girlie. Its just odd, because she does the invisible thing later on as well. I mean they both got burnt by his natural light torch, so I'm fairly sure thats not it...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

If his girlfriend was a vampire too and can turn invisible as well, wouldn't that make it less odd (vampires can turn invisible)? And weren't they still visible as reflections in mirrors?

Anyway, they also mentioned some alternate dimension the Others could reside in for brief periods of time. Perhaps this is what he did - skipping from one dimension to another? It wasn't without danger, I recall, but necessary sometimes. Again, it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

I don't know whether they intended to make a Daywatch movie although the unexpected success of Nightwatch will certainly draw in the necessary venture capital to make another movie.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Slayer69
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slayer69 »

Its definately a great movie.
One Question remains: why is the protagonist constantly so weak...and why doesn he seem to get weaker when he drinks blood?

@ Rasputin: I also think that they have different powers. The Protagonist basically has the power to regenerate...while others are able to transform into a cat or a bear....
The two hair-dresser dudes had the power to become invisible. IMO they were burnt by the lamp, because they didn't drink any blood...
The Vamps (IMO) need to drink blood to go out during the game. Yet the more they drink the weaker tehy become....somewhat like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.
Reaper
Lyhne
The Dane

Post by Lyhne »

I think it was a cool enough movie, but it had a lot of mistakes... Like: The vampires were invisible as you said, but they were reflected in the mirrors (Vampires are NOT reflected in mirrors), Why did Olga (or whatever the owlgirl was called) have to take a shower while tiger cub didnt? well, off topic :)

@Ras: I think SleekDD is right, he must have changed to the other dimension, as they themselves became invisible when they did it (when they were in the little boys apartment)...
@ Sleek: There will be another movie, as it says on the cover that hollywood already has thrown a lot of money in the next movie...
@slayer69: about the oblivion thing, its true, but if you dont drink blood , you cant enter the arena, as you will be toasted in mere seconds :)
+++Team Mulligans +++
Rorkie wrote:
Rork edit: Caps hurt my eyes. Don't hurt my eyes. If you do, I will hurt your soul.
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

SleekDD wrote:I don't know whether they intended to make a Daywatch movie although the unexpected success of Nightwatch will certainly draw in the necessary venture capital to make another movie.
The Daywatch is allready out. I watched it a week ago and liked it even more than the first part. This movie was ment as a triology and a friend of mine told me that the Americans have bought the rights to make the third and the final part - The Dusk Watch.
As for your question Rasputin - in the Day Watch a few characters can enter a parallel dimension called "The Dark" or the "Second Level". Only few chosen and gifted ones (from both sides) have this special ability to enter it ( like Svetlana for example ).
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Aachil: Cheers for the definitive answer. Makes alot of sense. As for Daywatch where did you see it? I assume its out in Russia?

Thanks

Ras
Pleased to be back
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Lyhne wrote:I think it was a cool enough movie, but it had a lot of mistakes... Like: The vampires were invisible as you said, but they were reflected in the mirrors (Vampires are NOT reflected in mirrors), Why did Olga (or whatever the owlgirl was called) have to take a shower while tiger cub didnt? well, off topic :)

Those are far from being mistakes. They're artistic license.

1. All Others can step into the Gloom. This kind of "parallel dimension" allows them to ignore the physical world and become invisible.

To see an Other who's stepped into the Gloom, you have to be in the Gloom yourself. This is why Anton can see Bear, Tiger Cub and Simeon when they arrest the witch, and why they're surprised he can (only Others can step into the Gloom). This is also why Yegor can see Anton and Olga when they enter his flat.

Anton hates the Gloom, and thus doesn't step into it to arrest Andrei and Dyana, resulting in Andrei's accidental death. This is said a couple of times in the movie - by Bear and Simeon when they reach Number 12 and drag Anton to the truck, and later by Anton when he's thinking outloud to Olga, when she's still imprisoned in her owl form (IIRC for the second one).

I haven't seen Daywatch so I don't know how much further it explores the Gloom, but I'm willing to be that it's a Dark dimension and only corrupts Others who haven't picked Darkness, meaning a Dark Other can exist in the Gloom without fear of corruption (he is, essentially, already corrupt). This concurs with the Gloom requiring blood to lessen its hold on those who've entered it (Dark Others drink the blood of humans for fun).

2. The mirror thing is done on purpose to give Anton a chance at fighting Andrei, for one. Secondly, it suggest the existence of the Gloom as more of a parallel plane of existence rather than a simple "pocket universe," kind of like Soul Reaver's spirit world. Thirdly, "vampires" are merely Others with a vulnerability to UV lighting and who need to drink human blood to survive - that doesn't mean they have to conform to existing mythos. Oh, and we don't see Andrei in front of a mirror when he's out of the gloom, so as far as we know, vampiric Others may have no reflection in mirrors when in the real world, and only a reflection in mirrors when in the Gloom.

Also note that "vampires" in that movie doesn't mean the traditional Dracula vampire (who, by the way, only feeds from virgins and can't enter your house unless you invite him in); it just means any and all Others who feed from humans.

3. Olga isn't a shapeshifter; in fact, we don't know what her ability is. Olga was turned into an owl and imprisoned as a punishment, Bear and Tiger Cub are shapeshifters. This is why Olga's transformation isn't a real shapeshift; more like she grew out of the owl, whereas Tiger Cub and Bear can morph and take their clothes with them (Tiger Cub morphs from her uniform to a tiger back to her uniform when they're arresting the witch).

Honestly, that info isn't that hard to get - just pay attention when you're watching the movie. Of course, I have the advantage of having seen it yesterday, but... :P

slayer69 wrote:The Protagonist basically has the power to regenerate...

What? Anton is a seer, like Simeon, and a rather crap one at that. Bear says so during the arrest.

That said, on why Andrei and Dyana were burnt, I semi-agree - looks like drinking human blood is like a drug, in that if you drink too much, you become vulnerable, and if you stop drinking, you're even more vulnerable. The more human blood you drink, the more sensible to the traditional anti-vampire weapons you become (it's probable that these mythological anti-vampire weapons are just stuff that's deadly to Dark Others who drink too much human blood and who later became known to humanity as vampires) and the more addicted to human blood you are. It's a circle - leave the Dark Others to themselves for a bit and they'll all die off.

Oh, and by the way, Dyana wasn't an Other - she's a human turned into a vampire by Andrei. This is probably why she was vulnerable to UV when she'd never drunk human blood (because she was already addicted to it).
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Aachil lathanast

RasputinII wrote: As for Daywatch where did you see it? I assume its out in Russia?
Few friends of mine invited me to the premiere of this movie - it was a little movie theather which shows cult and non-english speaking movies. As far as I understood it the movie will hit theathers in July.
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Aachil: Shabba, I greatly look forward to it.

ANSOB: Cheers. Makes sense, although you did stray in to stating the obvious but meh. ;). I was suffering from dudding though. I greatly dislike dubbing, and was most annoyed to fidn that the subtitles weren't working. So I either go it in Russian with no titles or Dubbed English... *Grumble* But thanks. You ahve given me a great deal of clarity over the gloom, which was the only thing I couldn't quite get (either because I missed a key sentance or summit or I am just stypid ;)...

Ras
Pleased to be back
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

RasputinII wrote:either because I missed a key sentance or summit or I am just stypid ;)...

Yeah, probably the latter. ;)

The French version of the DVD has French or a version labelled as "Russian/English" (with Russian spelt in cyrillic) which has the intro and outro narrator voice in a Russian-accented English and the rest of the movie in actual Russian. Subtitles worked fine for me, so I watched the Russian version with English subtitles - it's possible the English dub was a bad one, which would be why you missed out on one or two key sentences.
General Kala wrote:
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

ANSOB: Yeah, I had the same set up, but my subtitles didn't come up :cry:. Maybe it was a bad dub, or maybe I did just miss it (I have been know to occasionaly) ;)...

Aachil: Quick Question. Was the second film that you have seen Night Watch 2 or Day Watch? I just did some Googling and found out that rather then being a trilogy there is going to be 9 films, Night Watch 1-3, Daywatch 1-3 and Dusk Watch 1-3. Is this the case or did you see Daywatch (and thus there are three films). Day Watch would be about a Young Female Protagonist who is a member of Daywatch, where as NW2 will be about the same protagonist, Anton. Just interested to know whether to expect 3 or 9 :D
Pleased to be back
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Ras, it's supposed to be just a trilogy - I've never heard anything about more than three movies. The first one was Night Watch, the second's been known as Day Watch for a while, and the third's name we got from Aachil.
General Kala wrote:
Aachil lathanast

RasputinII wrote:Aachil: Quick Question. Was the second film that you have seen Night Watch 2 or Day Watch? I just did some Googling and found out that rather then being a trilogy there is going to be 9 films, Night Watch 1-3, Daywatch 1-3 and Dusk Watch 1-3. Is this the case or did you see Daywatch (and thus there are three films). Day Watch would be about a Young Female Protagonist who is a member of Daywatch, where as NW2 will be about the same protagonist, Anton. Just interested to know whether to expect 3 or 9 :D
Well the official title was DayWatch.Anton still plays a main characterand he is searching for the "Chalk of Destiny" ( I hope that I translated this correctly - anyway it is supposed to be the only object which can stop the Dark Chosen One from destroying the world ) and trying to keep Svetlana from meeting Egor ( Anton´s son ) becouse they are both the chosen and their meeting will result in the apocalypse.
I hope I do not spoil the movie for you.
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

Uhm. I watched the movie and was not really impressed.

Dunno, was not really exciting in my opinion.