Accept any Challenge, no matter the odds

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Glorious death against all odds, fighting the invincible

yes
76%
no
24%

Total votes: 29

High marshal vismark
Corsair

Accept any Challenge, no matter the odds

Post by High marshal vismark »

Would you play a army if you knew you couldn't beat it?
Obviously not in a tournement. Any stories of victory against these impossible armies?
No Pity!
No Remorse!
No Fear!
Oldone
Dark Rider

Post by Oldone »

The point of playing is to enjoy the game. If you think you can do that even if defeat is almost certain then yes, do it. No army is completely unbeatable because everyone gets duff dice sometimes. However if your opponent is totally WAAC then the game's not likely to be much fun to play (even if you win) so don't bother.
You need to get out more.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I hate playing against High Elf Sea Guard lists from Storm of Chaos. I've played a few games against Sea Guard armies and have lost every time. It really is an impossible match-up.

It's a waste of my time when I lose all my fast cavalry before I can take a turn. So unless it's a tournament where there are other factors involved, I will refuse to play. No sense in playing a game when I know I won't have any fun.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

I once controlled the game against my normal Brett opponent with an all-infantry druchii army. It was a very nice and difficult game, and he only managed to achieve enough VP in his last turn, when he made a couple of units flee and his fleeing units rallied at once. One of the best games I´ve played.
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

It depends. Against some people, no way. If I know that I can have fun, be it the army I am facing or the opponent as a person, then yeah I probably would. There are of course some people I don't like playing against.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

well, most of the time, you won´t know what your opponent is playing and thus you can´t say he´s invincible. i used to play someone i always lost against and kept playing him because it was great fun!
in general i tend to play everyone, exept if i know that that person just plays to win, gets frustrated, rude and angry when loosing and plays a maximized army.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Tijminator
Beastmaster

Post by Tijminator »

Well, sometimes it's even more fun if you know you can't win, think about 300-like scenarios. Just to see how long you can hold it.

Other than that, I think losing learns you more than winning, so a lost battle now and then only makes you a better general.

Tijminator
The Price of Power

Viva la Banana!

Cornixt wrote:Why would anybody stand to wipe? You're closing the one area you want to remain open!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

As long as I have a good time I won't mind losing. I don't even mind WAAC list 'that' much as they tend to give a bit of action in more than one fase.
However, this greatly depends on the enemy army and opponent. An enemy saying nothing but "boom, you die, I win" is not my idea of fun. In this case I will actively search the lamest counter-path possible. My excuse being that he chose to suck away the fun in the first place and it is better to make it hurt his ego so damn hard that he will shudder at the mere thought of ever fielding a lame army list again.
I must note, however, that a lot depends on the army you field too. With my TK, for example, I have obviously less trouble with a "boom, you die, I win" player as I have more means to outshoot/outlast him.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Depends on the player piloting the list. Once, I played a guy who came on all high-n-mighty with a, what, 15PD Tszeentch army. He kicked the crap out of me, but was overly convinced his victory was due to his sublime generalship. I never played him again, as did most of my buddies - the personality and the army just didn't match. Had he been more laid-back, reasonable, realistic, whatever - I'd have no problem playing him and getting massively thrashed again. :D
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
High marshal vismark
Corsair

I agree with Raneth, I don't mind losing to a better player with a superior list but I do mind if he is a arrogant cocksure son of a gun
No Pity!
No Remorse!
No Fear!
Innocent greed
Trainee Warrior

Post by Innocent greed »

I normaly play all list, but i have to say that in my area there are no "WAAC" list and so most gams are great fun. I even play a friend of mine from time to time, which i have never beaten, but im getting better from game to game and one daya, in the far future, i will win, but i dont mind as long as the games are fun.
High marshal vismark
Corsair

WAAC? soz I'm an nube
No Pity!
No Remorse!
No Fear!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I would play, its fun either way, unfortunatly I did not bother to read the full post before using the poll and asumed you were talking about chalanges, change one no to one yes mentily.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

I would almost always play someone regardless of chances of winning. As long as I can have fun then I don't care too much. Some armies would be annoying to face but I would just take an army I can have fun with (skaven/goblins) and do what I could.
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
Dvil666
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dvil666 »

It depends, because if you've got someone who takes all gaming joy from the win rather than the game or a boring army to play against (thorek gunlines, for example) then I would look for someone else to play.
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

Even in tournaments I'd play them, but more in a way of I'll play you and have fun and just wait for the next game.
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

I played my Khorne army against an HE Sea Guard army. And I won. I couldnt believe it. True, I only had bits and pieces of my units, and 1 or 2 characters left at the end, but I actually was able to make it to the other side of the field and get a minor victory.

--SD--
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

I'd play it, and beat it - or at least try. I once used a chaos chariot (of Tzeentch) army against a Dawi gunline (full of cannons) just to prove a point.

I won as well.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Warpix
Beastmaster

Post by Warpix »

I'll play against armies that I know I'll probably lose against or will have difficulty with, as long as I like the player, one of my friends runs a treeman in his 1500 list, so for me, that's somewhat hard to deal with, but I'd still much rather want to face him that just sit there and biatch about that unit (as I watched another player do yesterday, sad really).

I will not however, play against armies that use forgeworld stuff, without the actual rules being there, players with bad sportsmanship(I don't care what your army even is at the point of the game were you start slam your fists into the table repeatably, and yes, I have met such a player). A player who's a dick (like going uber magic heavy or gunline and then brag about it as if you had some type of master plan to defeat your enemy).
Drak'Ne
W6/S3/T3/D5/I3
Equipment: Short and Long Sword, 2xDagger, 20G, Cloak, Pendant
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Defensive Fighting
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

I agree with some of the other posts - I would play since it's always handy to learn a few things or just good fun to have a game - that said - if the opponent was a cheesy uber-git - I would not be that keen...