Firewalls, computers and viruses

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Firewalls, computers and viruses

Post by Mr. anderson »

To tell the truth, I've always been the kind of person that has a bit of an "as long as it works I don't care how it works" attitude towards computers. I can fix minor issues, put new hardware in and write a simple (and utterly useless) program or two if someone pointed a gun at me (otherwise I'd lack motivation, I guess). But when it comes to understanding how suftware works, for the most part I'll be sitting there going :?

Rork edit: Does that include double posting? :P

To get to the point - we've had a lot of trouble with our family computer and viruses... no one ever knew (or claimed not to, anyway) where those came from, my father (who is the only one in the family that cares enough not to just chuck the hard drive out, buy a new one and re-install everything) spent hours and hours fixing it and making it safer. I now got around to buying my own computer - which was, despite my drastically increased financial capabilities, still a rather big investment, and suddenly I understood why you wouldn't just buy another computer when the old one occasionally shuts down without you telling it to.

Now, my brother has done the same (bought a computer, that is), but he doesn't seem to care as much as me, although we both like computer games. I have and still am spending a lot of time installing anti-spyware and such, changing settings and tearing my hair out. He hasn't. He only took enough time to install some programs - while he was playing games, obviously - and that was it.

Now, if I were to set up an internal network with his computer (which, no doubt, has one or two items on it that aren't quite rightfully there), would my computer be endangered, or can a firewall filter out each and every single bit of malicious software and only let the "good stuff" - i.e. the data we need to shoot one another up - through so my computer is safe?
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Nirous
Warrior

Post by Nirous »

So, you want to set up a network between yours and his computer, and you're worried that dangerous files from his computer will come into your system and f your system up?
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Nirous wrote:So, you want to set up a network between yours and his computer, and you're worried that dangerous files from his computer will come into your system and f your system up?

That puts it into words rather more efficiently than I seem to be capable of ;)

HUZZAH!
Nirous
Warrior

Post by Nirous »

Ok so first of all, why don't you force him to install some anti-virus program on his pc(i assume you've done so already on your own) I recommend a free AVG.

But to the question, i believe your anti-virus software should sort out any dangerous stuff that would infiltrate your pc from his.

But i'm no expert on the matter myself, just seems most logical that way.
Nathan mcduck
Warrior

Post by Nathan mcduck »

One important rule to follow is to not grant his computer any write privileges on your computer. Or go a step further don't share any folders/drives in the network. (You can still play games this way)

As long as you keep your antivirus running you should be okay. Additionally as Nirous said, you should convince him to scan his computer for viruses before starting.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

1: Windows firewall (since you're playing games you're running windows...). Keep it running forever.

2: AVG is alright, but a bit bloated. I reccommend Avast instead.

3: Spybot SD is decent anti-spyware.

4: Malware Bytes is *better* anti-spyware.

5: Spyware Doctor is good but costs money. However, it will give you a filepath to threats, so if you can root around in your windows system you'll find it easily enough.

6: the above about write access. Don't allow ANY write access to your machine. Check the "shared files" default folders, on some builds of windows that defaults to open write permissions. You want to turn that off.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Arquinsiel wrote:
5: Spyware Doctor is good but costs money. However, it will give you a filepath to threats, so if you can root around in your windows system you'll find it easily enough.

Given the cost of games and other extranious bits, I find Spyware
Doctor with Antivirus a great investment. I can now trawl the most dubious websites without risk. I also use the free Zone Alarm firewall.

Prior to using spyware doctor I used free programs, but always got one monster virus each year. That just dosen't happen with my current setup.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I might try spyware doctor, sounds like a good idea. I've also changed some of my internet settings according to the recommendations of the Avira website, so that should make a difference pluse I've installed plenty of free anti-malware software.

@Rork (in case you read this) - when and where did I double post???

HUZZAH!
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I've been running Avira free, Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware. Between those 3, I haven't had any problems. However, I don't really play games on the computer, so I'm not sure how much it will slow things down and what not.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Mr. Anderson wrote:@Rork (in case you read this) - when and where did I double post???

You posted the original topic twice.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Firefox with NoScript and Ad-Block addons. Virus? Yeah, I've heard of them :).
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Loki wrote:I've been running Avira free, Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware. Between those 3, I haven't had any problems. However, I don't really play games on the computer, so I'm not sure how much it will slow things down and what not.

I doubt it'd slow my computer down (yeah, I know. Show-off :p ), what with 10GHz and stuff. I'm already using no script (which is great) and no program on my computer can access the internet without permission.

@Rork... well, it was kinda urgent ;) My computer stuffed up so I clicked "submit" twice, being rather impatient and all...

HUZZAH!