Playing against Vampire Counts in 6th

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

Playing against Vampire Counts in 6th

Post by Bobba Looba »

I recently played a small game against Vampire Counts in 6th edition. It was my first game of 6th.
I will play another game soon and could use some feedback.

His go-to strategy was a necromancer positioned in between two units of zombies.
The necromancer then kept summoning new zombies in the two units.

I was unable to get to the necromancer, since he remained outside but close to the units.
Characters within 5" cannot be targeted directly. Is there a way to get to the necromancer?
I thought of using a lone character, but this would be very situational and risky to pull off.
Any thoughts?

Also, I found that the lore options in 6th are limited against Vampire Counts. Dark Elves can use two other lores next to Dark Magic. Lore of Death has three spells that cannot target undead.Lore of Shadows has a spell that prevents enemy units from shooting and the first spell allows the wizard to make fly moves. How could I make this lore work?
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Playing against Vampire Counts in 6th

Post by Vulcan »

6th is a bad edition for Dark Elves, the army book is very weak that edition. Your vcitories are going to be hard won regardless of what you do. Of course, this makes those victories all the more sweet when they do occur.

Best I can come up with is a sacrificial combat character who can charge the necromancer and try to assassinate him. Not sure if the usual go-to for DE character killing, lore of Death, will work on a Necromancer in 6E.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

Yup, I figured that out too.. :( the rules are fairly lackluster..., But hey, I'm not turning down a game of Warhammer. My opponent prefers 6th, so I'll just go along.

That being said I still like to try and win it.

A character who leaps out of a unit was my first idea too. I need something with a small frontage to pass in between

Another crazy idea was to charge him with a chariot. If I could pull the two units of zombies away from each other to make some space, it could charge through..
I could do that by placing my other units so that I direct his charges to the sides.

Don't know if that would work though...

Or harpies.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

The other option is to use mobility and avoid the big skellie blocks while running around killing off the rest of the army, try to win on points.

Not too useful in objective secnarios, though.