Makhar Confederacy

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Makhar Confederacy

Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Makhar Confederacy

Art Contest III saw new artworks created for the Makhar Confederacy, the Ninth Age's fantasy Magyar steppe nomads. This army is a spin-off cavalry variant of Warriors of the Dark Gods (much like Åsklanders are a spin-off barbarian variant of WotDG), complete with two-handed kontos lance cataphracts and giants armed with bows.

Artwork by Chevalier Rouergue2:

Artwork by a20t43c:

And my own doodle:

Makhar Flayer

Among the Makhar, some follow a darker path. That of the Flayer. Where the herdsman is content with his horses and sheep, the Flayer seeks more exotic and sometimes dangerous pastoral beasts. Chimeras, turuls, karkadans, and in rare cases humans; the more dangerous the herd, the more prestigious in the eyes of a Flayer. To control these perilous and unpredictable herds, Flayers mount the most spirited creatures: Shadow Chasers.

Makhar Flayer riding atop a Shadow Chaser, which I have interpreted as a large, feathered raptor. Primordial creatures could do with more use outside of tropical climes for fantasy. The mount in this drawing is probably too small to support its rider's weight, or at least so for any extended period of time. Perhaps it is a young one being broken in and trained? The depicted rider is female, as a reference to ancient Scythian and Sarmatian warrior maidens. Said reference may be wasted for Hobgoblins, many tribes of whom are based on Scythians, so better make use of it elsewhere on the steppe. Note the skinned arm in the grass.

Ninth Age fantasy Magyar rider drawn for Art Contest III.

Reference pictures

Do you happen to have any thoughts and ideas of your own to share? If so, please do! :)
Makareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Makhar Confederacy

Post by Makareth »

Ooh, cool! Love the colours on the second picture.
I thought the mount in the last drawing was a feathered nauglir. Whoops. It looks really good though!

Thoughts and ideas for what exactly?
I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold. That is the way of the hunter.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

Makareth wrote:Ooh, cool! Love the colours on the second picture.
I thought the mount in the last drawing was a feathered nauglir. Whoops. It looks really good though!

Thoughts and ideas for what exactly?

Cheers! It's meant to be a Makhar Flayer. :)
Makareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Makareth »

Cheers! It's meant to be a Makhar Flayer. :)[/quote]

Alright! Super cool! 8)
I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold. That is the way of the hunter.
Karak Norn Clansman
Beastmaster

They're the equivalents of Slaaneshi Hellstriders, by the way. Those Marauders on Slaanesh Daemon steeds. But I tried to find a more grounded mount for sake of difference and dinosaurs. :)
Makareth
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Makareth »

Understandable. I like the mount a lot, no matter what it's supposed to be! ;)
If those things where real, I would totally get one! XD