My Report on GT Heat 1

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Are Tomb Kings a Competitive army?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 26

Kaseliegth
Executioner

My Report on GT Heat 1

Post by Kaseliegth »

Well for heat 1 I ended up going for this army.

Dread lord
2 Sorceress lv2
2 units of 5 Dark riders
18 Warriors
10 Rxbmen
5 Harpies
6 Cold one Knights
16 Black Guards
2 Bolt throwers
Hydra

Game one Vs Dark Elves.
We played scenario 3 (table quarters)
I won 8 - nil for the scenario and had 2123vps and 1432vps against.
Dark riders and harpies really came in handy in this one. The black guard did spot on killing this dread lord on a dragon and just soaking up everything he chucked at them. They died in the last turn though. The hydra just rampaged through his lines S5 breath weapon is great. Cold one knight’s charged his hydra and bounced off but caused 3 wounds and bolt throwers and rxbs did the rest.

Game two Vs Vampire counts.
We Played scenario 2 (Objective counters)
We drew at 2 - 2 and only had 200vps each.
This was against my mate I went up with. We asked if we could swap only for the tables either side to say no. Had a fun game as he couldn’t catch me and I couldn't do enough damage before he raised them again. I ended up killing 124 Zombies over the 6 turns trying to get them off an objective counter.

Game three Vs Wood elves
Played scenario 1 (Annihilation)
This must have been the smallest annihilation game ever as I lost 2-1, 167 Vps to me-228 to him.
All he did was keep his army at the back of the board behind some large woods and that was it. He killed a unit of dark riders and my harpies by turn 2. Then just ran away and hid for the rest of the game. Caused lots of wounds but when his units were about half strength he hid them. This was a very frustrating game and he said at the end that he was sorry for playing like that.

Game four Vs High Elves
Started well with shooting and magic doing a good amount of damage. Hydra really does well again T3 lightly armed troops. The only thing that didn't go well was my Cold ones went stupid 4 turns out of the 5 turns they were alive for and got charged by a unit of 10 white loins. We went into his turn 6 at 5 - 5 I just couldn't kill his white loins got desperate with charging in a unit of dark riders in the flank and one survived.
I ended up losing the combat and lost by 8-5 it was 877 vps to me and 972 to him.

Game five Vs Tomb Kings.
We Played scenario 2 (Objective counters)
Well I wasn't looking forward to this game as I have never really done well against Tomb kings before. But with chillwind stopping his shooting, as well as my shooting taking out his units totally so meant him not being able to raise them back up. Cold one knights got charged by a unit of chariots with a tomb prince in a got smashed to bits. So far the cold ones weren't doing anything in this GT so starting to regret taking them. After losing the cold ones things swung totally in my favour as he left his Hierophant (high litche priest) exposed which a unit of dark riders shot around and shot him to pieces and the hydra took out another litche priest in the same turn. I was then able to deal with his magic. I then proceeded to wipe him out. At the end he was left with nothing and all 4 objectives were in my possession. He was a great opponent and really enjoyable to play against.
Vps to me were 2500 and 337 to him.

Game Six Vs High Elves
This game started all friendly really relaxed and looking like a fun opponent to play. This was until he took out his box a moon dragon and a sun dragon. I could take out 1 dragon but 2 doubtful. I took lore of shadow for the pit of shades which I rolled and kept with the shades of darkness spell (makes your unit cause fear). My turn 2 cold ones charged a unit of reavers which fled and due to him not being far enough away with his dragon princes I slammed into them instead dark riders charged an eagle. The magic phase cast pit of shades on the moon dragon thinking it was a separate test for rider and dragon so 50/50 for the dragon. Rolled 3 dice and rolled a 6, 5, 1 use the sacrificial dagger only to roll a 6 total power. Called over a ref as we were of two minds about the I test. Was told one test at the highest I of the model. Then he pointed out that as the template doesn't cover the whole model so I needed 4+ to hit him. Rolled a 4, then my opponent rolled the dice for it. Only to bounce and roll what seemed to be an eternity only to appear a 6 down the hole the dragon goes. Also killed the dragon mage with shooting and then rolled up his army with cold one knights just making a mess anywhere they went if only they had performed this well in earlier games.
Won with 17 Kill points to 1 against.
Vps 2795 to me and 117 to him.

This was a great ending to a weekend of gaming. If you are going to any of the other heats then just to warn you there is lots of daemon armies. The top 10 finish up with 7 daemon players. The scenario’s make power gaming really difficult which in my mind improves the gaming standard.

Everyone at the heat was really good and patient due to be being on crutches. I did get the couple of comments of hop faster lol.

Good luck to all those who made it through to the final. I will be there as a viewer as I came 49th. 4 place’s from the cut off point. If any of you did play the cripple (me) look forward to seeing you again and good gaming.

Mark
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: My Report on GT Heat 1

Post by Thanee »

Kaseliegth wrote:Then he pointed out that as the template doesn't cover the whole model so I needed 4+ to hit him. Rolled a 4, then my opponent rolled the dice for it. Only to bounce and roll what seemed to be an eternity only to appear a 6 down the hole the dragon goes.

Fun stuff... :lol:

As for the TK... I find them pretty weak, actually. If you know the few tricks they have, there is rather little they can do, that is not totally obvious.

Bye
Thanee
Cervix
Cold One Knight

Post by Cervix »

Dude your last game against the high elves you got all the luck you deserved!

2 Dragons in a 2k point game... I'm already scared when my opponent only brings 1.

and killing a dragon with shooting only with 2 RBT and 10 Rxbmen is just something that never happened to me..
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

two big bolts if hitting and wounding will do most of the job - it only has 5 wounds so it wouldnt take too much luck with RxB to knock off another one or two wounds.

Well played again Mark - shame i wont see you at the final... unless you come down to razz James :twisted:
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

Might well come down to poke him with my crutches. lol
good luck in the final mate.
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the small hole in the middle of the round templates covers a model it is automatically hit, regardless of it's base size? So if you positioned the template with the central hole one his base the dragon is automatically hit.

Well done on the games!!

Cheers,
Dave
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If the small hole covers the target it's a hit not matter the size of the base.
Also rider and mount test separately because they are separate.
Chariot (without a character) would test on hichest I, regular 1W mounted model would test on highest I
But dragon and rider can die separately so they test on their own I each.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

Well i thought that they test separately so moon dragon on I3 and rider on I8 as with the template the ref said that was just one test on the highest I, so we did it that way. Even so it still ment this dragon was hit and went down the hole. But his rider might of servied i supose.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Dalamar wrote:If the small hole covers the target it's a hit not matter the size of the base.

This is only part of the rules for stonethrowers, and is not a general rule for other types of attacks that use the round templates. So Pit of Shades will not automatically hit big things on chariot bases.

Also, it's not that hard ot bring down a Moon Dragon with shooting since it has lower toughness, fewer wounds, and worse armor than the other dragons in the HE list. Not much harder than bringing down a Manticore with shooting.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Also, it's not that hard ot bring down a Moon Dragon with shooting since it has lower toughness, fewer wounds, and worse armor than the other dragons in the HE list. Not much harder than bringing down a Manticore with shooting.

Moon Dragon is the middle dragon, practically identical in stats to our black dragon.

You mean't Sun Dragon? Either way, all the dragons have T6, but the sun dragon does 'only' have 5 wounds and a 5+ save. Its pretty vulnerable as dragons go, but having said that, a manti is still -allot- easier to bring down.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Yeah -- I meant the Sun Dragon, which is the one Dragon Mages come with. As far as shooting against a Sun Dragon and a Manticore, when it's an RBT doing the shooting, the only edge the Sun Dragon has is number of wounds. Both monsters are toughness 5, and the RBT doesn't care about a 5+ armor save.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Sun dragon is S5 T6! :)
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Ah you were the guy on the crutches :)

The Ref was right about the single test. It's in the Errata/FAQ document about the BRB, stating that when a "Model" has to take a characteristic test, it simply takes one test with the characteristic which gives the best chance of success being used.

Whilst this means that it becomes harder for things like Pit of Shades to kill Star Dragons (I2), when they do finally roll that 6 for thier Lord (I8) both go down ;)

I suppose I should write up my experiences of the 1st Heat.
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

So who were you then Milney i only met 2 other people from D net.
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

I didn't introduce myself to anyone (didn't really want to jump onto people I only "know" online), so we didn't actually chat but we did bump into each other whilst table hopping a couple of times.

I was probably the only guy wearing a pink shirt (proper shirt, not T-shirt) on the first day, with the Blue/white painted Dark Elves.

My mate kept ripping it out of my shirt saying they he could always see where I was because it was so glaringly pink >.< So I decided I had to dig out a different shirt for the second day xD
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

hmmm - personally i cant remember you - the shirt obviously wasnt bright enough :)

i was tagging around with Kaseliegth most of the time - touch shorter than him, blue t-shirt, then dark proper shirt.

off to read your reps now :)
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Shrike
Dark Rider

Post by Shrike »

Awesome pit of shades there, nice one. You might get a wildcard yet though, if people drop out. Great reports :)
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

yeah my mate got though so would be nice to be up there with him.
Glad you liked the reports.