40K Battle Report - Orks vs Space Marines (750pts)

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Uman
Cold One Knight

40K Battle Report - Orks vs Space Marines (750pts)

Post by Uman »

Played a few games of 40K last weekend and have finally gotten around to writing them up. No pics, so I apologise for all the wordiness. Ironic as it may seem to post 40K reports on a Fantasy forum, in my area, 40K is the dominant game, so I play more games with my Orks than with my Druchii. These are my first few games at 750pts, having just built up from 500pt games.... Anyway, here it is:

Armies:
Orks:
 Warboss w/ ‘Eavy Armour, Twin-Linked Shoota, Power Klaw, Cybork, Attack Squig, Boss Pole
 Biker Mob w/ Nob (3)
 Kannon Battery w/ 1 Ammo Runt
 Gretchin Mob (10) and Runtherd w/ Grabba Stick
 Loota Mob (6)
 Slugga Boyz Mob w/ Nob (‘Eavy Armour, Slugga, Big Choppa) (30).
 Shoota Boyz Mob w/ Nob (‘Eavy Armour, Slugga and Choppa) incl. 2 Big Shootas (20).

Space Marines:
 Techmarine w/ Artificer Armour on Bike w/ Conversion Beamer
 Tactical Squad w/ Missile Launcher and Flamer
 Tactical Squad w/ Missile Launcher and Flamer
 Iron-clad Dreadnought w/ Flamer and Multi-Melta
 Drop-pod
 Rhino

Both sides had 3 evenly spaced hills. Two hills in the middle spaced between gaps in deployment zone hills.

Mission – Capture and Control
Deployment – Dawn of War
Initiative and T1 = Space Marines

Deployment:
Ork objective placed close to baseline behind eastern hill in Ork deployment zone. Space Marine objective is placed in centre of middle hill in Space Marine deployment zone.

The Techmarine, Rhino and one flamer combat squad deploy towards the middle of the table, near a hill slightly to the east to be a bit closer to the Ork objective. 1 Tac Squad is in the Rhino. One missile launcher combat tac squad deploys on the Space Marine objective.

The Warboss is deployed with the Sluggas alonge the baseline spread behind the middle hill. The Shootas deploy around the Ork objective behind the eastern hill.

Turn 1:
The Dreadnought drop-pods in into the Ork deployment zone between the Sluggas and the Shootas and the Dreadnought steps out, opening fire on the Shootas even in the dark quite easily, along with the drop pod’s own firepower and 4 Shoota Boyz drop. The Tac Squads do the Space Marine Shuffle and the 2 flamer-combat squads wind up in the Rhino, the ejected missile launcher combat squad wind up outside and stays put not being able to see anything to shoot. The Rhino moves towards the Slugga mob and pops smoke, supported by the Techmarine who beams 2 Slugga Boyz. The Missile Launcher in the closest combat squad sees the Sluggas in the dark and drops one more.

The Ork Kannons move onto the table behind the western hill in the corner to have a firing lane down the baseline to the Marine drop pod and also diagonally across the table and wait for Turn 2 to shoot. The Lootas move onto the baseline immediately behind the Sluggas and middle hill and wait for Turn 2 to shoot. The Runt mob move on between the Kannons and the Lootas, planning on coming over to the Ork objective when it’s safe from drop-pods and Dreadnoughts. Since there’s nothing the Shootas can do to hurt the dreadnought and the drop-pod only has a 12” range, they elect to surge forwards towards the Space Marine deployment zone and leave the armour to the heavy weapons in later turns. The Sluggas move forwards and assault the Rhino, but needing 6’s to hit, do no damage. The Warbikers race in ahead of the Runts through a gap in the hills towards the ejected missile squad and open fire, but do no damage before moving in to assault and dropping a Marine. The Marines elect to auto break and outrun the Bikers, who consolidate after them.

Turn 2:
The fleeing Marines rally and open fire on the Warbikerz, dropping one and wounding the Nob. The Techmarine retreats to get more distance with the beamer and shoots at the Bikers, but does no damage. The second missile squad on the hill also open fire and the mob is wiped out. The Drop pod does nothing, with all enemies out of range. The dreadnought runs uphill after the Shootas. The Rhino moves out of combat with the Sluggas.

Finally able to shoot, the Kannons open fire but can’t reach the missile squads. The Lootas open fire at the iron-clad, but do no damage. The Shootas move forward and open fire on the missile squad around the Space Marine objective with the big Shootas, dropping one. The Runts move across towards the Lootas while the Warboss and Sluggas assault the Rhino and this time rip it apart. Only 5 Marines escape the wreck, the other combat squad perishing inside.

Turn 3:
The Techmarine again retreats and shoots at the Shoota Boyz, doing no damage. The 2 missile squads also open fire at the Shootas and 3 drop. The Dreadnought opens fire killing 3 more and forcing the Shootas to flee, no longer being Fearless. The flamer squad that survived the Rhino wreck opens fire on the Sluggas, killing 4.

The Runts stay in cover. The Kannons move forward to try and get in range of something while the Lootas open fire on the drop pod and blow it up, creating an opening for the Runts to take the Ork objective. The Shootas continue to flee as they are below half-strength. The Sluggas and Warboss drop a Marine in the flamer squad with shooting and move in to assault, killing the marines and consolidating towards the Marine objective.

Turn 4:
The Dreadnought begins to move towards the Slugga mob. The missile squads stay put around the Space Marine objective hill while the Techmarine opens fire on the Kannons, wiping out a gun and 2 krew. The Battery fails its test and flees off the table.

The Shootas again flee. The Runts run towards the Ork objective while the Lootas again fail to damage the Dreadnought. The Warboss splits from the Sluggas and heads over towards the Dreadnought while the Sluggas move towards the Marine objective on the hill and the defending missile squads. The Orks Waaagh! and the Sluggas enter combat with the 1st missile squad, while the Warboss fails to reach the Dreadnought. All but one of the missile squad are killed and the squad breaks and is caught by the pursuing Sluggas, who lose 3 in the fight, but is saved by his power armour, so the combat continues.

Turn 5:
The Techmarine hoons back to the other side of the table manoeuvring to try and get some shots at the Lootas later on. The missile squad Marine finally dies in combat with the Sluggas, after killing another boy. The Dreadnought shoots a wound of the Warboss and then charges into combat, inflicting 2 instant-kill wounds that Cybork doesn’t save and the Warboss is taken off the table.

In retaliation, the Sluggas open fire at the other missile squad below the hill, dropping 1 marine. The Lootas now finally do some damage and immobilise and shake the iron-clad. The Runts move along the hill to be just out of range of the drop-pod, now that the dreadnought has been taken out of play.

Turn 6:
The Techmarine opens fire at the Runts, killing a few and forcing a check which they fail, but pass after the Runtherd feeds 3 more to his squig-hound. The missile squad open fire at the Sluggas, dropping 3 and then move in to assault. The Sluggas lose combat and are caught and wiped out by the Marines who now hold the objective with 3 guys.

The Runts run towards the drop pod and Ork objective. The Lootas open fire on the missile squad holding the Space Marine objective inflicting a casualty and causing the Marines to fail their check and flee off the objective.

Turn 7:
The Techmarine pursues the Runts and kills more, forcing a morale check which is failed… the rest of the mob is consumed by the squig-hound and the last Ork scoring unit is removed from the table. The missile squad rallies and runs back to the Marine objective to hold it.

The Lootas again try to mow down the missile squad but are unsuccessful.

Space Marines = 1, Orks = 0.

I think the game went well, but I think I fluffed the rules for the Sluggas and missile squad combat – the Marine should have been wiped out automatically when the Sluggas caught him in a Sweeping Advance, and not able to attempt an armour save (which he did and passed), meaning the Sluggas should have finished that combat a turn earlier and been able to assault the other squad rather than be shot and assaulted.

Also, I should have kept the Warboss with the Sluggas rather than splitting off to go solo after the Dreadnought. His hitting power would have helped wipe out the Tac Marines faster and I forgot that the Dread strikes at higher initiative than 1 with its powerfist, and so his chances of being instant-killed before he got a chance to strike was much much higher than I thought!!!

My choice of location of where to bring on the Kannons was also not too flash, forgetting how short 36” range is – I should have brought them on closer to the centre rather than the west, as they accomplished practically nothing for the game, even after moving again.

U
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Just a quick note about marines. When you catch them in a sweeping advance you do not kill them automatically instead you takes as many armour saves as you lost combat by, which is what your opponent did. For clarification the rule is And They Shall Know No Fear. Also you cannot put two marine conbat squads inside a vehicle as they are now separated into two different squads and vehicles may only transport ONE unit at a time. Something to tell your opponent next time you play him.

You seemed to do okay against the Marines but i'd change a few things. Firstly, i'd get rid of the kannons and boost the bikes up to 5 or 6, i'd also be inclined to ditch the lootas as they are far too unreliable for small point games but if you like them then keep them. Another thing is always, always give your nobs in your boy units power klaws to attack dreadnoughts and other vehicles and heavy armoured units such as Terminators or normal Space Marines. Theres not much point giving them 'eavy armour as if there is enough shots to be allocated against your nob most of the squad is gonna die anyway and leave the nob by himself plus a 4+ save is not that great especially since a lot of weapons ignore it.

Just some suggestions to play around with.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Uman
Cold One Knight

Post by Uman »

Ta mate. I hadn't actually had Marines flee and me catch them before (it's quite the rarity) so I didn't really know the rules, but then when I read them later I thought I may have been duped. Thanks for clearing that up - I haven't read the Marine Codex.

I'm planning on beefing the Bikerz up, but will use my Boar Boyz rather than buy new bikes. I have to convert them first though, so they're a while off :)

U