Host of Karond Kar against the Dark Legion Rd 2 PIC HEAVY

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Host of Karond Kar against the Dark Legion Rd 2 PIC HEAVY

Post by Greenbay924 »

As requested, here's a report with photos! and actually it was round 4 for us, just the second one I've done a report for!

Anyway, this time I actually took pictures! (not the greatest, but better than nothing) This was another 2000 point game for our escalation league, a rematch if you will. My list was identical to last time, I'll repost it below for those that don't want to look at the last one. His list was pretty different for the most part compared to the last time.

Anyway, the lists:

Dark Elves:

Lords:
Sup. Sorceress - lvl 4, Talisman of Protection, Darkstar Cloak - 330

Heroes:
Lokhir Fellheart - 250
Master - BSB, Pendant of Khaeleth, Heavy Armor, RXB, Beastmaster's scourge, Sea Dragon Cloak - 164

Core:
RXB x20 - standard, musician, shields - 235
RXB x20 - standard, musician, shields - 235
Corsairs x30 - standard, SSS - 335

Special:
Chariot - 100

Rare:
Hydra - 175
Hydra - 175

His list from memory:

Lord of Change - lvl 2, with power to get +1 power dice
Herald of tzeentch - BSB, master of sorcery, lore of death, standard to make any lore -2 on casting
Herald of Khorne - no idea what he had
Skulltaker
Bloodletters x17 - extra D6" charge banner
Horrors x30
flamers x4
Bloodcrushers x3 - extra D6" charge banner (we didn't know the FAQ made them magical banners, which is why he had 2)

Anyway, we rolled the same mission as last time, but decided to go with a pitched battle instead to "mix it up." Terrain wasn't as important this time as last, as most of it was placed away from the battle. The only piece that was involved was an altar of kaine giving frenzy to lots of things.

He won deployment and placed first. He put his horrors about middle of the table, about 12" from the altar, his bloodletters were placed on the far right flank, with the flamers. The bloodcrushers were placed between the lettters and horrors, and the Greater Daemon was placed behind the crushers.

I placed one unit of RXB behind a flaming fence, with corsairs to the right of them, and the other RXB to the right of the corsairs. There was a building that was pretty annoying in my deployment zone, so had to scrunch both hydras on the far left flank to face off against the 'letters. My counts as chariot was placed to the left of the RXB behind the fence.

This is what it looked like:

You can't see the hydras, but they are to the left of that building on the left of the screen. Also, you can see terrain didn't play much of a factor, as we placed the other 4 pieces on the right side, away from where the actual battle took place.

Anyway, on with the report:

His Turn 1:
He moves the letters forward about 5 inches, flies the Lord of Change behind them. Bloodcrushers advance foward also. Horrors remain still.
Flamers march to get shots at hydra or chariot.

Magic - Lord of change gets off a spell that puts 3 wounds on one of the hydras, spawning a horror in front of the other. A little scare for
him as he irrisistabled the spell, and rolled a 3 on the table, rolled a 5 to stay alive!

Shooting - flamers put two wounds on the chariot, thanks in large part to a combination of 4 horrors only getting 10 shots, and me making two 5+ saves.

My Turn 1:
The unwounded hydra charges the horror in front of it, the other hydra tries a desperate 17" charge to get into combat, and obviously fails moving
3" forward. Chariot charges the flamers, saving all the stand and shoot shots. Corsairs angle slightly in case of charge from bloodcrushers.

Magic - I get 12 power dice this turn, manage to put a -1 T withering on the flamers to help out the chariot, he dispels the miasma aimed for
the bloodcrushers

Shooting - everything is out of range this turn from the to RXB units, I failed to notice his great idea of staying far enough away, in retrospect I should have caught it and moved forward to put his units within range.

Combat - the chariot takes a wound, and does exactly enough wounds to wipe the unit from combat resolution, WS2 vs WS5 proved to be a big help as I think he only scored 2 hits from 6 attacks, the chariot overruns into the Lord of Change. The hydra kills the lone horror in front of it and overruns 7" towards the bloodletters

End of turn 1 looked like this:

His Turn 2:
Bloodcrushers make a sharp right charging the flank of the hydra, with help from the magic standard, while the bloodletters charge the front. Horrors stay still again.

Magic - He rolled 12 this turn I think, since he was in combat he couldn't magic missile, but tried to nuke the chariot to free up
his general to cast elsewhere. He was unsuccessful but did land the death spell that give -1S -1T on the chariot, which prove to be its demise (damn enslaved dragons never live long!)

Combat - His general takes a wound from the chariot from impact hits, then follows up by smashing it to pieces. The bloodcrushers with skulltaker
and the bloodletters do their best to drop the hydra. Skulltaker puts 3 wounds on from his S6 flaming attacks, the beastmasters whiff their
rolling, and the hydra goes on to make a bunch of regen saves from the crushers and letters, with 1 getting through. The hydra takes out 5 letters,
but then the crusher mounts struck getting the last wound in. The crushers held and reformed to flip around, the bloodletters overran into the other
hydra.

Combat between Greater Daemon and my counts as chariot:

Combat with the hydra:

After the overrun:

End of turn looked like this:

My Turn 2:
No charges, the corsairs move up and wheel left to face the crushers, sorceress slides over so within range of the lower level withering on
the crushers. RXB unit on the right moves forward to start shooting at the horrors.

Magic: This turn I had a low number for my winds roll, and failed to get anything off, I think this is the turn he scrolled the withering I cast
on his crushers, proved to be big as if even 1 point was taken off, it would have hurt him a lot.

Shooting - the horrors are now within range of the RXB on the far right, so they start taking pot shots into the unit to whittle it down to a
level 2. The other unit shoots at the crushers, scores more hits than I would have expected considering half the unit had to shoot through hard cover (building blocking los to over 50% of the unit), but only 1 five rolled on the to wound roll, with about 4 fours sitting there...that withering would have been nice! He makes the one save by allocating it on his 1+ AS skulltaker.

Combat - the letters lose their herald from the hydra, and the then between the bestmasters thunderstomp, and S2 breath weapon, he loses 6 more 'letters. 1 more wound on hydra, leaving it with 1 left.

End of combat looked like:

End of turn looked like:

His Turn 3:
He flies the Lord of Change over behind the horrors, decides not to charge with the bloodcrushers.
He moves the horrors up to get within range of the death magic spells.

Magic - Again, I did a good job keeping his magic down, I think I ended up losing 6 corsairs to some magic missile.

Combat - Hydra gets taken out by the bloodletters (for those of you counting at home, over the course of all our games, my hydras are 0-4 against bloodletters), beastmasters did kill one more 'letter though.

End of combat pic:

End of his turn:

My Turn 3:
No charges, since the corsairs would need a 10 on dice, I pass their test then back them up 2" to set up a flank charge with one of the RXB units
if he decides to charge in with the crushers.

Magic - I think I only had 6 dice this turn, threw them all at withering on the crushers, the spell goes off, but a natural 2 on dice for the D3 means they only lose 1 toughness, another point would have been nice!

Shooting - thanks to the -1T, I get two wounds through on the crushers removing one.

His Turn 4:
He decides to send the crushers after the RXB unit instead of the corsair, stand and shoot sees another crusher drop, moves the letters a little and same for the horrors. Flies the general over by the 'letters and crushers.

Magic - This had to be his roughest phase, as he had 12 dice, and by the end only killed 3 corsairs and a RXB. And I didn't use a dispel dice. He got off some nasty spells, but would roll 1 or 2 for number of hits, or would roll 1s and 2s for his two wound rolls, either way not much damage was done.

Combat - the crushers obviously leave a mark on the RXB. I was smart in accepting the Skulltaker's challenge with my BSB, as the pendant of khaeleth and its reverse ward save, saved a lot of wounds from being put on the unit. He did take one wound though (glad it wasn't one of the killing blow ones!) After combat res I was still steadfast and made the LD9 test.

End of combat and turn looked like this:

My Turn 4:
Corsairs obviously flank the crushers, which brought up an odd dilemma, the skulltaker was the only model they were in contact with, but he was
tied up in the challenge. We ended up playing it that all they could do was give the static combat res bonuses, but couldn't attack the other
crusher.

Magic - threw everything at both a mindrazor, and withering, getting both off. Withering gave the crushers T1, and the RXB had S9, little overkill

Shooting - the other RXB unit gets the horrors below 25 to drop the wizard level.

Combat - The BSB puts 1 wound on skulltaker, who fails to wound the BSB. The RXB only get 1 wound on the other due to some bad to hit rolling.
The crusher kills 2 RXB, but the crushers are wiped from combat resolution + high LD roll. The corsairs only overrun 3 inches.

End of combat and turn looked like this:

His Turn 5:
Bloodletters charge into the corsairs, as does the Lord of Change. Horrors moved up for a turn 6 charge.

Magic - Again not a lot going for him, my level 4 vs all his level 2s proved to be a great bonus for me in dispelling. Lost a few more corsairs
to the AoE spell, and that was it I believe.

Combat - this one hurt, the corsairs with Lokhir kill 5 letters, leaving 2 left. The rest of the corsairs attacked the lord of change, and
managed to put 3 wounds on it, leaving it with 1 left. I still lost combat, but made the LD check.

Before combat:

I forgot to get a picture after the combat, only difference is I'm down to 18 corsairs, and he's down to 2 'letters.

My Turn 5:
I try to charge the horrors, who are 11" from the other RXB unit, and roll a...5, failing by an inch! This turns out to make things uncomfortably close! They stumble forward 3" and do nothing
the rest of the game. The other RXB unit charges into the flank of the last two bloodletters.

Magic - low roll resulted in nothing happening.

Combat - lokhir tries his hardest to get the last two down so the rest of the corsairs can focus solely on the greater daemon, but only kills 1.
the RXB that charged kill the last one, and as many corsairs as possible attack the lord of change, with no wounds getting through. At
the end of it, the RXB unit was on the opposite side of where the Lord of Change was, so we ruled they were out of combat now. The corsairs took a beating from the greater daemon, killing a bunch.

Once again forgot to get a picture taken, we were caught up in the action that was going on.

His Turn 6:
This was scary, as the horrors get a rear charge on the corsairs.

Looked like this:

Magic - he gets a 12er for his last turn, popping the corsairs down to just lokhir, plus standard. He also casts the withering gleaning it
from me, droppin them to T1.

Combat - Lokhir challenges his general in a last ditch effort to put a wound on him, the standard is killed and lokhir has to flee, both units
pursue 9" with lokhir fleeing 8.

Looked like this:

My Turn 6:
This was the moment men (or elves?) are made. Both units of RXB maneuver to shoot at the Greater Daemon. From the picture above, that unit of 8 wheels so all have the greater daemon within their arcs, also they are in close range now!

Magic - I get 10, throwing them all at the withering on the greater daemon, getting a total of 33, with no double 6s! he throws his 6 at
dispelling, and also fails double 6s.

This is the most important picture of this game:
That two isn't what was rolled, but marks the number of points his toughness was dropped.

Shooting - That closer unit that wheeled to face him shoot in, getting 3 wounds on him, he rolls his saves...his rolls were : 5, 5, :one: = dead!

Dark Elves win by 200 or so VPs.

Thoughts on the game:
The lord of change really needed to be a level 4 for him. By having two levels on him it was fairly easy to dispel most of the things he tried to do.
Lokhir is fun, but he dies way too easy to justify the points. I love the model and fluff for him, but maybe I need to play a less CC violent army with him!
I hate how my awesome "chariot" dies so fast! I'd show you a better picture of it, but my army is currently in my car, and I don't feel like going at getting it.
RXB again proved their worth, such a great and versatile unit, being solid at ranged, and combat.
Corsairs again proved why I take 30 and no less, they soak up so much of the enemy offensive, my RXBs barely get touched (in fact the other unit of 20 were never even targeted)
My poor, poor hydras. Khorne just has their nnumber I guess. Bert and Ernie will think twice before wanting to stare down 'letters and crushers again!
On the hydra note, there wasn't really a target I wanted to send them at, as the horrors, lord of change, and flamers get flaming attacks, and the 'letters and crushers are awesome in combat with high strength attacks.

MVP:
Sorceress, again. This time instead of mindrazors making a difference, it was the withering.

LVP:
I was thinking of saying the hydras, but they officially tanked the crushers and 'letters long enough for me to get things rolling. I'm going to have to say Lokhir, at the end of the day, all he was good for was 3 dead 'letters.

Anyway, I hope the pics made it a better read this time!