Thraundils battle log game 56: UB tournament Round One!

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Thraundils battle log, game 44+: Giant Fanatic 2014

Post by T.D. »

Judges definitely need their heads checked.

Is that tiny little ponies the Halfling Knights are riding? !lol!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Seems to be an incredibly harsh marking system for the painting. Very biased towards the judges own personal ideas of what an army should look like rather than the actually quality and effort.
Now no painting marking system is going to be without its own subjectivity, but this is pushing on the verge of ridiculous.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Glad its not just me who thinks the judging is rather off mark. The big issue is zero tolerance. Aparently, the dark elf army of Koller is given 0 points because there is some grey smudge on one of his bases, and then because the book ontop of his CoK banner is "only black", aka unpainted.

Yep, tiny little halfling knights on tiny little halfling ponies! Notice the demi"goose" knights, and the lord on a royal "rooster/lion mix" :D
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Your bolt throwers are by no means proxies. They are alternative models that you chose for aesthetic reasons. Proxy is something you grab the day before tournament because you do not own the actual model. Not something you try to blend into your army as well as possible - which you did with the bases and colour scheme.

Anyway, you did reasonably well on the tournament so congratulations! :)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Marchosias wrote:Your bolt throwers are by no means proxies. They are alternative models that you chose for aesthetic reasons. Proxy is something you grab the day before tournament because you do not own the actual model. Not something you try to blend into your army as well as possible - which you did with the bases and colour scheme.

Anyway, you did reasonably well on the tournament so congratulations! :)

I agree 100%!!
That being said though. The paint score, and maybe my lists slight weakness, was the only really bad marks on the weekend. All of my opponents where straight up and super nice guys, everybody at the event was, really. Heh, and us 3 guys going together from Aarhus ended up on a street café saturday night with heat lamps, blankets, and beer on the sidewalk. Classic :D for a first whole-weekend tourney to only end somewhat below average, considering meeting one of the top players in DK in round 1, I have to say I'm OK with that. because if we say that game 1 is a chanceless loss, I actually performed above average ;)

I still cant settle on a list for the national finals, though... Hrmpfh. So tricky. Pegasus chars and fast cav are super heavily comped. The modified ETC restriction is: fast cav characters + fast cav units + pegasus, max 5 in total. And its a 6 game event over the last weekend of October.

Currently, I ponder to maximise the hard stuff without leaving home without the most trademark units.

Pegasus lord, cloak, dawnstone
Lvl 4 on steed, heavens or shadow (heavens might be good at handling "gun lines", whereas shadow is super vs cannons that might stop the pegasi)
Master on pegasus, 4+ ward and charmed shield
Master on cold one, BSB, 4+ ward
5 DR
3x10 witches
10-12 corsairs to fill core
4 RBT
9 knights
10 warlocks

I'll drop all the core rabble on one flank or maybe the centre and try to get them to work together best as possible. Then the cavalry and fliers go on the other flank and hopefully I'll come out ahead. I dont need big wins, just a steady performance of 12-8 every game.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

You should be able to compete with that list. I rather like your infantry flank concept you have there.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I am somewhat nervous seeing only two fast cavalry units. I would maybe:
- put the sorceress on foot
- swap corsairs for another DR unit
- swap one WE unit for crossbows as the sorc needs a bunker

The points might sum up in a weird way, though.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah, I could use a foot sorc... Issue is I am kind of concerned for her life if she's footing it out, and part of my brilliant plan was to have a bunch of small drops to put down first in the deployment phase. If I field 15-20 darkshards I am bound to lose at least one drop, maybe even two. I shall ponder this in more detail.
I also considered dropping the steed for another pegasus for the BSB, but I skipped the idea due to lack of leapfrogs for the fliers.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Whoops! Somehow due to a massive cock up, I posted in Thraundils log by mistake! :oops: Have removed and reposted to the correct thread.
Last edited by Clockwork on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Edit with Demi-Geese:

Last edited by T.D. on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

T.D. wrote:Really nice game.

I like that TK list very much on paper, so you played well to beat it. Good mix of magic, durability, impacts&stomps, shooting and even a little bit of (relative) speed.

Surprised you suffered not much in the way of Casket losses ...I lose a few models per turn in every game versus the Mummies :P

Is this a reply to an older post or what? I didnt play against the TK army which I posted a picture of :P only posted the picture so people could see what other kinds of armies got 0 painting score.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

That's my fault! I posted in the wrong thread in the previous post above.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Clockwork wrote:That's my fault! I posted in the wrong thread in the previous post above.

Oh derp! xD
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

LoL.

I was reading the other thread today and I was like "Where's my post" !conf!

!lol!
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Thraundils battle log, game 49: NWL warmup

Post by Thraundil »

With the national league approaching, here's an outline of my third Ogre Kingdoms game within the last 5 days. All vs different opponents. First two games where with a now illegal list (turns out dark elves are broken - so they changed the restrictions less than 2 weeks before the tournament!), but I won both those games in spite of some poor play on my part.

The restrictions are ETC, with the following amendment for DE:

Dark Rider models after 15/Doomfire Warlock models/Character on Cold One/Character on Dark Steed (counts as 2)/Character on Dark Pegasus (counts as 4), max 15

So essentially: either pegasus or warlocks. Taking 1 pegasus is not an option for me, a single pegasus is too 'squishy'. But I spotted a loophole. If I pay all my warlocks in order to take 3 pegasus... I have no warlocks. Which means I can take lvl 4 death on a dark steed.

The list I played the third game with looks like this:

Dreadlord, 1+ rerollable, cloak of twilight, lance, pegasus
Lvl 4 on steed, scroll, mr(3) (not enough points for hotek :( ), lore of death
Master, 1+, pegasus, 4+ ward
Master BSB, 1+, charmed shield, 4+ ward, pegasus
Master on cold one, 1+, luckstone, ironcurse icon, great weapon
10 dark riders crossbows shields mus
30 WE FC, razor standard
9 knights FC, swiftness
4 RBT
5 shades ahw

My opponents list was a full on bus.

Tyrant, 5+ ward, great weapon
Lvl 4 heavens, great weapon, sigil
BSB, naked with standard of discipline
2 bruisers with great weapon and 4+ ward
Lvl 1 with lore of maw and dispel scroll
3x1 sabertooth
2x10 gnoblar
40 gnoblar with champion
13 ogres, FC
5 leadbelchers, mus
2 mournfang
Ironblaster

I knew I was going to be outdeployed, but I got to pick sides which meant I denied him a good forest which ended in my deployment zone. I also had a hill, as did he. He rolled harmonic convergence, curse of the midnight wind, wind blast and comet on his lvl 4, and stubborn magic on the lvl 1. I rolled spirit leech, soulblight, doom and darknes and fate of bjuna. Yep, no purple sun. F me!

I deployed as a refused flank ish. Witches went central, bolt throwers on the hill and in the forest. Knights went on the far right flank with two fliers and the dark riders + lvl 4. The last master went far left to hunt the ironblaster. He deployed very centrally, aiming the bus straight for my backfields.

I got to go first. Made the only real mistake of the game when I ran the witches 10" forward. I couldnt get in range for any decent snipes, and my shooting killed a single leadbelcher, not so impressive. In his first turn, he declared the long charge with his bus, needing a 9 and getting it. He barged straight through to my backlines, and so the game pretty much boiled down to me clearing his backfield and him clearing mine. His ironblaster didnt manage a kill, so I took the game 12-8, not wanting anything to do with his bus in close combat. Throughout the entire game I only managed to kill his lvl 4 with death snipes, very disappointing. Two turns in a row, I threw 4 dice at fate of bjuna, casting on 9+ on the dice and failing! If I had had the purple sun, it had been an entirely different game, maybe 20-0, but nice enough to know I have something to threaten with even without the kill-all spell.
The high point of the game was actually when he put his two mournfangs in sight of a single bolt thrower. And that single bolt thrower killed them both stone dead.

After the game I made adjustments to my list. The 30 witches, while potent, are too vulnerable as a single unit: easy to redirect, worthwhile to redirect, and if caught in a bad spot they give away 430 poins. In addition, they give me nothing in the deployment phase. So I decided to split them up to 3x10 naked and play them as semi-flak. Units that cannot be ignored, yet do not pose a big enough threat to dedicate big units to - perfect! It also gives me the ability to do my 'usual' drop of 3 small units, one on the left flank, one in the middle and one on the right, before putting down anything of significance (usually the bolt throwers, then the dark riders as they get to vanguard, and last the knights and chars as these must work in unison). As an additional benefit, I upped the dark rider bunker to 13 man, and gave the cold one master a glittering scales to make him survive a bit longer. This means he must carry a shield to get his 1+ armor, so I put him back with the lance.

Lvl 4 on steed, scroll, mr(3) (not enough points for hotek :( ), lore of death
Master on cold one, 1+, luckstone, ironcurse icon, glittering scales, lance
13 dark riders crossbows shields mus
3x10 witches, naked
9 knights FC, swiftness
4 RBT
5 shades

The big vulnerability is board control. But then again, 3 flying heroes cant be redirected, all I need to worry about are the knights. And I do still have a solid firebase to clear flak off the board. If I spread the witch units and bolt throwers out, I have a list which is reasonably difficult to take points from, while I will usually (hopefully) be able to take all the soft points. I will hate heavy gunlines, but I hope there are more good matchups out there for me. Hope.
Good matchups: Ogres, demons, warriors, lizards, vampires, possibly tomb kings depending on their list.
So-so matchups: high elves (very dependent on first turn), wood elves (very dependent on enemy list!) and brets (cav vs cav is dodgy as hell)
Probably bad matchups: empire, dwarves, chaos dwarves, orcs & goblins. Anything with several cannons or stuff that pierces armor.

Any suggestions for the list as is? Any suggestions for another list? :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Looks a sweet list 8)
Dark reaper
Highborn

Re: Thraundils battle log, game 49: NWL warmup

Post by Dark reaper »

I have been reading through a lot of your BRs now and they are really great. There is a tournament in Oslo medio-november that uses the GF-comp and I was contemplating running the shadestar. How did you find it working for you and what kind of changes would you have made to the list in retrospect?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Dark reaper wrote:I have been reading through a lot of your BRs now and they are really great. There is a tournament in Oslo medio-november that uses the GF-comp and I was contemplating running the shadestar. How did you find it working for you and what kind of changes would you have made to the list in retrospect?

The list is very vulnerable to template weapons and shooting opponents... And it is also incredibly immobile and difficult to get into a combat you want. To be honest, if I where to do it all again I think I'd choose a whole other approach :) something like a dreadlord on pegasus, lvl 4 on steed with dark magic for the mobile vortex, and then go with a more close combat lineup... The shadestar was a fun concept, and vs the right enemies it can get stable wins, but it loses big when it goes badly.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Silentdan
Shade

Post by Silentdan »

How have the 3x10 witches been working for you. With the split up you are getting a good amount of extra attacks. Going from a static block of 50 attacks to 3 units that can pump out 60 if they all were in the same combat.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

In the games where I've used it, 3x10 witches works great. Only enemies that vastly outmatch them can really fight them. They cause a lot of disruption, and I really look forward to seeing more of them in action now. 20 poisoned attacks for 110 points is actually kind of ridiculous, and smaller bands of archers and other light troops will be completely obliterated by these girls. Just dont put them in the way of 1+ troops, hordes or other stuff that can soak their damage, or they will just give up their points for free.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Silentdan
Shade

Post by Silentdan »

That's a bit of a given. But that's what the bolt throwers,CoK and death magic are there to take care of.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Silentdan wrote:That's a bit of a given. But that's what the bolt throwers,CoK and death magic are there to take care of.

My high elf friend (yes! I have friends amongst the enemies) will come by this afternoon. I'll try and snap a few pictures for a fully illustrated report.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Silentdan
Shade

Post by Silentdan »

killer, if you don't mind me speaking for everyone we are all looking forward to it.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Thraundils battle log, game 50: NWL warmup

Post by Thraundil »

50 game Battle log anniversary! Considering I've also played games which are not featured here, not too shabby of a hobby year, this.

As promised, illustrated report versus high elves! One of my 'oldest' friends, and the guy that forced me to start the hobby so he would have someone to play against :killed: I think our internal score is tied. So this would be the tiebreaking game to restart the grudge!

My list:
Lvl 4 on steed, scroll, mr(3), lore of death
Master on cold one, 1+, luckstone, ironcurse icon, glittering scales, lance
13 dark riders crossbows shields mus
3x10 witches, naked
9 knights FC, swiftness
4 RBT
5 shades

High Elf list:
Loremaster, book of hoeth, 4+ ward
Mage, high magic, dispel scroll, 2+ vs first wound
BSB with 4+ parry
2x nobles on steeds, 1+ armor save via magic items, one has MR(3) the other a starlance
2x5 ellyrian reavers
17 silver helms FC (!)
24 PG, razor standard
3x bolt thrower
Frostheart phoenix

At a glance - he has fast powerunits which will limit the fancy movement I can pull off with my own fast powerunits. But I should be able to establish shooting superiority.
For magic, his lvl 2 rolled up walk between worlds and hand of glory. No arcane unforging, yir! His loremaster had, well, all signatures. My lvl 4 got all 3 sniper spells and the purple sun. (rolled 1 and 6 both - and who the hell wants a fear spell). Close to perfect spell selection vs this guy.

Battlefield layout and deployment:

Two hills, one in each deployment zone, some houses (which are impassable) in the middle of the board, couple of forests and a ruin (which follows the rules for a swamp: hard cover if inside, dangerous terrain for all except skirmishers).

We both had 7 drops, and I got to deploy first meaning a +1 to start, too. I started out with 3 10-man witch units spread throughout the deployment zone. He answered with ellyrian reavers and central PG. I spread bolt throwers next, to which he replies with his own artillery. I was forced to drop dark riders, and he puts the phoenix behind the hill... Meaning whereever I plop the knights, SH would come down opposite. So I go for the flank, and sure enough. I scout my shades in the ruins, and vanguard the dark riders near the house for a swift turn 1 advance / cover. He vanguards his reavers to give hard cover to the bolt throwers on the hill, and the other unit backwards such that if I wanted to move my shades into short range, it'd mean abandoning the ruins.

Dice went down, I land a 5, meaning he needs a 6 to tie. He doesnt, and I go first. First turn is a huge deal in DE vs HE I find!

DE Turn 1

Dark riders advance to get my lvl 4 within 12" of his two silver helm nobles. They manage this barely without marching, so no dangerous terrains for jumping the fence. Knights move such that his frostheart and SH both have a 12 on the dice to charge, and all 3 pegasi take cover behind the house. Witch elves advance full speed. The plan was that if his SH where to charge the DR, they flee and the silverhelms, being swiftstride, might advance 4 or 5", giving my own knights a 9 or 10 on the dice to charge. Or, if the frostie charges, I flee and the frostie is in sight of 4 RBT's.

Magic was decent, and I chip one wound off him with a strength snipe as he dispels reasonable well.

In the shooting phase, I outright slay a reaver unit, and reduce the other unit to 1 man - with just 2 RBT volleys and the shade unit. (both BTs hit 4 times and wounded with all shots!). This leaves the other 2 RBTs and my dark riders free to aim for the eagle claw on the hill, which I successfully destroy. With no close combat, I gave up the turn.

HE turn 1

The forstheart declares the charge, and I flee. 4 dark riders stumble and fail their dangerous terrain - little more than should have, but okay. Frostheart does not redirect, and fails the charge. Silver helms reform and move back to give my closest flier a 10 on the dice. PG move forward to do magic, and his one remaining reaver positions to give the eagle claw on the hill cover. He plays it very cautiously, not wanting to give me an opening. His magic is a snakeeye, so he just goes for hand of glory on a bolt thrower.

With shooting he rolls poorly, and kills 2 knights. (Average was 3,5). Once again time for the dark elves to bring the pain!

DE turn 2

Lord and regular pegmaster swoops outside the PG front arc. WE zoomes forth, dark riders rally and move within 24" of his SH unit. The dark riders are placed for a 7" overrun should his SH charge my witch elves. The knights are then placed such that, in my turn, I would get to flank charge the overrunning SH with both them and my BSB. What I failed to account for here is, that his phoenix could have blocked one of those charges... So it was actually a very risky move. That being said, I think i could still have placed the knights better too, to account for this possibility.

Anyways. Magic sees me with 7 dice again, he uses his scroll so no wounds inflicted. Shades kill the last reaver, and 4 bolt throwers manage sod all versus the phoenix. F* ward saves. He was even down to a 6+, and he saves the only wound I manage to get through.

HE turn 2

His SH declares the charge on my witches - but fails with a tripple 2 on the dice! Instead, his phoenix flies to the house, exposing itself to a rear charge from my knights, thinking that should I take it and overrun, his SH would have a flank charge all but guaranteed. PG reforms to face my fliers, and the bolt thrower on the hill quickly dismantles and runs for cover!

Magic sees an average roll. With the noob-book he turns his dice into a very high casting (I had 4 DD), so I scroll his searing doom and dispel the spirit leech. A singleshot from the remaining bolt thrower fails to hit my pegasus master.

DE turn 3

Knights sound the charge, and slams into the rear of the phoenix. Right flank witches charge the eagle claw. Lord moves to the hilltop to spot the silver helms, pegmaster moves infront of the silver helms along with the dark rider unit, to set up a double flee. BSB moves behind the dark riders to make 100% sure they would be catapulted. Other witches advance full speed, smelling blood!

Magic sees 11 to 6. Mwahahaha! And still, it takes me 3 darned sniper spells to kill his noble carrying the MR(3) item. Anyways - the other guy is opened up now. I also toss a risky purple sun through my own pegasus master into his bolt thrower. My pegasus passes the check like a boss, and the bolt thrower dies. With no targets left but the PG, the bolt throwers and shades open up and kill... 0 PG. Bravo.

In close combat, witches dismantle the war machine and does not overrun into the SH. Then, in a freakshow of bad dice, the knights manage to land sod all on the phoenix, who kills 3 knights in return. The cold ones do a good showing and puts 2 wounds on the bird. He loses by 3 thanks to the rear charge, but to my dismay, he holds and reforms.

HE turn 3

The silver helms declare the charges, and I flee both times. PG reforms and moves to get 1 model on the edge of the hill.
For magic, he rolls 7 vs 4, and in a freaky showing, I fail to dispel searing doom at a +2 advantage with even dice. Even worse, my lord fails 2 out of 2 ward saves and now sits at a single wound... Spirit leech doesnt kill him though.

In close combat, however, the phoenix continues to take no damage of consequence whilst it happily wails away at my knights. Who got the idea to make a monster WS6 with a damned ward save? I manage to hold, though, and reform to open up a charge avenue for my BSB to hopefully break the damned beast on turn 4!

And this is when my friends wife pulled into the driveway outside and started honking for him to come out. So we called it a draw and he packed up. We agreed I would probably get the phoenix and at least his other noble, but that since my lord and knight unit was so depleted, I would've had to run away. He argued he may have picked up the lord, though I was unsure since I could easily hide him in witch elf units. But he would have gotten the knights for sure.

Turn 3 close combat really ruined an otherwise perfect turn 3 movement phase from me! I was really counting on breaking the frostheart... But I realise without rerolls to hit (because according to ETC, a phoenix is not a high elf...) and -1 S it was a long shot to begin with, but even so. It must never happen that 7 knights and a master REAR charges a monster and then fails to make it run. Hitting on 4's without rerolls, I suddenly realise how shitty other races knights are ;)

Had I broken it, the knights had reformed and I dare claim I may have gotten the entire silver helm unit with a combo charge from my lord, BSB and knights, all whilst tying the PG up with witch elves whom where starting to get into position. But, lesson learned: frosthearts must be magic'ed or shot off the board. Not fought. I just cant help but think my friend made a big mistake showing its REAR to me, and then counting on me not to block off. Upsetting to be unable to punish such a mistake properly =)

My dreadlord losing 2 wounds to those signatures is unacceptable too, in my opinion. Sadly I cant squeeze the 2+ vs fire in on him, if I want to keep my lvl 4's horse and magic res.

I think, instead of advancing so agressively, that another time I will hang back for a few turns and let my magic do work. He cant really advance on me neither, and I had the shooting superiority thanks to turn 1 and also more magic pressure than him. I could put my fliers into WE units, and they would suddenly become immune to searing doom, thus only needing to focus on one dispel - the spirit leech.

Anyways - the grudge lives! The tie breaker will have to wait for a day where we have more time. I am satisfied with how my list performed - with some sneaky tricks I can still advance against a fast enemy, but I must be cautious and if he outnumbers me I am forced into passivity.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice report. Shame it had to end prematurely.
I feel you would have edged it however rather than calling a draw. However it sets itself up nicely for a rematch.