2000pt Vampire Counts vs Dark Elves PreEnd Times

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

HammerSim
Slave on the Altar

2000pt Vampire Counts vs Dark Elves PreEnd Times

Post by HammerSim »

Hi peoples

Hope you don't mind a Vampire Counts player posting on your site.
I played a friend of mine who uses Dark Elves the other day and have made a battle report.

He is new to the game so if you got any suggestions for him(or me) on playing style please comment on my video and we will read it.

Thanks a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKlchOu5gPg
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: 2000pt Vampire Counts vs Dark Elves PreEnd Times

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome.

Everyone is more than welcome here and I look forward to watching the report.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Great rapport ! Im playing against Vampire Counts tomorrow and was thinking about choosing Word of Pain with my LVL2 Dark with Tome, but after seeing what Bladewind did in your game, I'll take that one !
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

This is actually a very good report. Thank you for sharing it!

A few quick notes:

Harpies are redirectors, not fighters. They should be sacrificed at the right moment to avoid some devastating charge or something. While charging small units with them is OK and I would sent them against five wolfs anytime ten are risky. Besides, they have low leadership which is not ideal against fear causing enemies.

Note that WE are frenzied and BG are immune to psychology. Therefore, they are not allowed to flee a charge.

WE charging your bus was indeed a mistake. I would have preferred to get them in the zombies if the distance was reasonable as they are very good at shredding unarmoured troops and immune to fear as long as they are winning combats. If the distance was too long, I would have probably marched them right in front of the bus but at an angle so that an overrun would lead the black knights away from the battleline.

Bladewind is awesome at killing zombies. However, almost everything DE have is. Word of pain in the big fight would have been a stronger choice I think. Or just doombolting the bus over and over again.

You played the panics correctly. However, bear in mind units flee centre to centre. This means the crossbows should have probably ended in front of a RBT.

If the zombie units were this small at some stages, was the DE player shooting at them to finish them off? Getting points for a unit plus a necromancer would have been nice.

That is all as I have to go. :)
HammerSim
Slave on the Altar

Post by HammerSim »

Marchosias wrote:Note that WE are frenzied and BG are immune to psychology. Therefore, they are not allowed to flee a charge.

Ah yes, you are right. Can't flee if you are frenzied. But if a unit is immune to psychology but not frenzied they can declare to flee right?

Marchosias wrote:If the zombie units were this small at some stages, was the DE player shooting at them to finish them off? Getting points for a unit plus a necromancer would have been nice.

My opponent was not great at picking targets, he kept switching instead of finishing off. I have since talked to him about this to try and improve his tactics.

Really appreciate all the feedback so far, thank you.
uklvrbm
Trainee Warrior

Post by uklvrbm »

HammerSim wrote:
Ah yes, you are right. Can't flee if you are frenzied. But if a unit is immune to psychology but not frenzied they can declare to flee right?

Units that are immune to psychology can't choose flee as a charge reaction.
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

ugh that charge of the witch elves into the knight bus made me cringe...why, oh why?!

Edit: no offense but a bit of a cheeky move taking a vampire bus like that against what appears to be a new player...we want more people in our hobby not less :D
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
HammerSim
Slave on the Altar

Post by HammerSim »

Lord hajjij wrote:ugh that charge of the witch elves into the knight bus made me cringe...why, oh why?!

Edit: no offense but a bit of a cheeky move taking a vampire bus like that against what appears to be a new player...we want more people in our hobby not less :D

Haha yeah it felt pretty one sided by the end but when we were deploying I seriously didn't think my knights could even get close to him before they got shot to death. And my opponent has had more 8th edition experience than I had. But I played as vampires during 6th edition a few times so knew my army a bit better. Hopefully we are having a rematch tomorrow. Will post the battle report when I get a chance. Thanks for watching.
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

I should have mentioned first...I thought the report was so well done. Please keep them up!

-Sun Tzu
Lord hajjij

Post by Lord hajjij »

So I watched all your battle reports, I liked them so much! Couple of comments:

Game vs. Wood Elves

10:40 - Why is he taking and passing Ld Tests at 6 or 7? He should be steadfast against you since he has 1 rank vs. your 0.
12:00 - Do Undead need to take a Ld test to restrain pursuit and reform, like other races? Zombies are Ld 2, and I'm assuming you didn't make that...

-Sun Tzu
HammerSim
Slave on the Altar

Post by HammerSim »

Lord hajjij wrote:So I watched all your battle reports, I liked them so much! Couple of comments:

Game vs. Wood Elves

10:40 - Why is he taking and passing Ld Tests at 6 or 7? He should be steadfast against you since he has 1 rank vs. your 0.
12:00 - Do Undead need to take a Ld test to restrain pursuit and reform, like other races? Zombies are Ld 2, and I'm assuming you didn't make that...

Hi sorry for the late reply.

10:40 you are 100% correct. We misread the rule and thought it was who ever had the higher rank bonus, but the rule book says ranks. So yes, should have been unmodified LD.

12:00 Hmmm for some reason I thought undead can choose to hold with out leader ship test as they are controlled by the necromancer. I can't find the rule any where so you might be right. I'll check with other VC players and see what they say. Thanks for pointing this out.
f4n745y
Trainee Warrior

Post by f4n745y »

You really did a good job in this report, very clear and well explained. And it's said by a non-English guy ;)

Your friend did some strange movements... But his first and main problem was his deployment, I recently played against a big unit of BK like yours, my last deploy was warmachines right in front of the black knights (or having range), witch elves should be in the other side, just to kill thousands of zombies (assasin doesn't make any difference, better get more witches for a long combat) harpies should delay BK march and don't get stuck with ethereal, if he manage to shoot 3 times at BKs, they are no longer a problem.

He should change both L2 and take a L4 with Dark magic (good dmg)/Shadows (to improve shooting), Death is very good but I think is harder to use.

Btw, he had a chance to win until he charged with the witch elves, you would have had a problem with those witches fighting your zombies instead.
Tactical Dark ELf
Trainee Warrior

Post by Tactical Dark ELf »

Great Report and game on your part

As for the dark elf player let's look at his army list, assuming he didn't know he was going to be facing Vampire Counts

Assassin, this is beaten by a flying peg master in almost every aspect. Plus why would he put this in a unit that doesn't have a champion so he is forced to accept from non characters!
Harpies role are outperformed by shades, plus he only had 75points worth if he wanted to do some damage he should invest more points or at least make another smaller unit.
War hydra is meh, and if he wanted something with high strength and a bit more killy take executioners any day.
130 points of witch elves is pretty much worthless against VC, he needs to make that Huge
He was using 400 points of Black guard to be an anvil, useless against a Black Knight Bus with 3 characters -nothing can really hold that up.

Why did the hydra charge when he could of had another turn shooting stuff?
Do You Even Brolocks?