Questions about breath weapons...

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Deadlydeception
Corsair

Questions about breath weapons...

Post by Deadlydeception »

I basically have two questions that were brought up in my last game.

1) Does chillwind prevent breath weapons from firing in the shooting phase (ie. A hellcannon loses one of the crew)

2) Can you use a breath weapon after failing a charge. The rule book says that no 'missile weapons' can be used. Am I putting a little to much RAW into that?
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

1) The unit that takes casualties can't shoot in the next turn, a breath weapon is a shooting attack,... The answer is YES
2) You can't use a breath weapon after a fail charge.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

While its used in the Shooting Phase, what really defines it as shooting? There's nothing saying that its a shooting attack neither is it under the Shooting rules. Its a special rule that you use during the Shooting Phase.
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

Why the heck did they changed the rules for chillwind?? It was perfectly clear in the old book. "Unit that suffered casualties may do nothing in the next shooting phase"...

I would say breath weapon is a shooting attack but I can´t back it up with anything so I could be wrong.
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

SilverHeimdall wrote:While its used in the Shooting Phase, what really defines it as shooting? There's nothing saying that its a shooting attack neither is it under the Shooting rules. Its a special rule that you use during the Shooting Phase.

The fact that it's used in the shooting phase, defines it as shooting IMO.

You could say the same about the black dragons noxious breath attack, or the star dragons "dragon fire".
Those breath weapons are all under the special rules of the model and they're all used in the shooting phase.
If I follow your logic, those breath weapons can still be used in the shooting phase even if a wound was caused with chillwind.

The hellcannon has another special rule, "mixed unit", this means it's treated as a warmachine with some exceptions
(http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1520013_Hellcannon_of_Chaos.pdf)
Chillwind works against warmachines, so it works against the hellcannon too.
That's at least how I'd play it.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Fluffwise, I am pretty sure chillwind hits you with a numbing coldness so your hands cant operate your bowstring properly, hence you do not shoot. What problem would a dragon get when hit by it, when he can conjure up a flame from his gut to overcome the cold and hence shoot.

However, as far as i know chillwind means you can not shoot next turn, meaning you can not fire a ranged shooting weapon, which includes warmachine and breath weaps
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Answered my own question by reading Shooting Phase - Templates (; so no Breath weapons~

Also I'd like to point out..

Exact wording

"any unit taking casualties cannot shoot in its next turn"

wound a dragon? its not a casualty so it can still use its breath weapon
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

SilverHeimdall wrote:wound a dragon? its not a casualty so it can still use its breath weapon
We had this argument before, I believe with no resolution. By definition (like in a dictionary) a wound is a casualty, but do they mean it that way? Don't know, another GW flop at the English language most likely.

But - you could use Chillwind and kill the rider off the dragon, therefore causing a casualty to the unit without a doubt, SH ;).
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I believe killing dragon would be easier than killing the dragonrider with chillwind :P as riders tend to have stacked insane armour and ward saves ;)
but then the rider wouldn't be able to use his bow/whatever! :O
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Probably so ('cept maybe dragon mages), just saying it's a possible scenario whatever your interpretation of casualty is. Possible.. not plausible :P.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Deadlydeception
Corsair

Post by Deadlydeception »

Thanks everyone, that clears that up nicely. You can not fail a charge and use a breath weapon, and chillwind will stop a hellcannon from firing if it loses a crew member.