tomb king chariots

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Camaris
Black Guard

tomb king chariots

Post by Camaris »

Does anyone know if the tomb king chariot unit gets a rank bonus? I was playing against a tomb king general the other day and he claimed that his chariots get a rank bonus. My argument was that since they follow the rules for fast cavalry they wouldn't get a rank bonus, but his counterargument was that since the book states that since they rank up like rank and file infantry they get rank bonuses plus fast cav rules. If they do that's a pretty sick unit; it's a good thing we have rending star/manbane assassins. ;)
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

It says they rank up, as opposed to riding as lone chariots. That doesn't mean they get a rank bonus since they are still Fast Cavalry. Even if they would normally rank up like cavalry (like it says in their book, page 25) and got a rank bonus for that (which they don't) they'd still be subject to the rules of Fast Cavalry which state that they don't get a rank bonus.

On an aside, did he really use 10+ chariots in a single unit? Because that's what he needed to achieve said rank bonus...
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Your opponent's counter-argument is pretty lame since non-chariot fast cavalry can also rank up.
Truly These are the End Times ...
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

I'd say that since the chariots are treated as fast cav they don't get the rank bonus. The fact they rank up like rank and file only describes how they are positioned on the battlefield, not how they move or anything. That's just my oppinion though...

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Rending Star/Manbane assassins will have S6 against them, even if poinsons stack. If I've got it right one of them makes you wound on a 3+ and the other gives you +1S? If so you have S6, since they are T4, so you will kill 1 max...
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Desert icon
Assassin

Re: tomb king chariots

Post by Desert icon »

Camaris wrote:Does anyone know if the tomb king chariot unit gets a rank bonus?

Nope! They don't get a rank bonus, since fast cavalry can't get rank bonuses even if they do rank up like normal units when they're in combat.

There is nothing in the Tomb Kings book that specifically says that chariots can get rank bonuses like normal rank and file units. Therefore, they follow all the Fast Cavalry rules, which include them NOT getting any rank bonuses in combat.

So, your opponent's argument is incorrect!

The Buoyancy of Water wrote:P.S. Rending Star/Manbane assassins will have S6 against them, even if poinsons stack. If I've got it right one of them makes you wound on a 3+ and the other gives you +1S? If so you have S6, since they are T4, so you will kill 1 max...

Thread hijack! Nah, I'm just joking, you're alright.

Although the (many) threads that have opened on this issue are divided, the general consensus that people apparently lean to is the RAW interpretation, that Manbane + Rending Stars stack to a maximum of 7 strength.

But that's another subject for another thread at another time! Question = Answered methinks?
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Desert Icon wrote:Question = Answered methinks?

yep, thanks for all the feedback!

The Buoyancy of Water wrote:P.S. Rending Star/Manbane assassins will have S6 against them, even if poinsons stack. If I've got it right one of them makes you wound on a 3+ and the other gives you +1S? If so you have S6, since they are T4, so you will kill 1 max...

Didn't think of that. Good thing I was playing orcs that day. ;)
Nick7356
Warrior

Post by Nick7356 »

You can't get S7 with Rending Star/Manbane.
http://mechanicalhamster.wordpress.com/ ... the-rules/
----------W/L/D
Dwarfs 72/24/29
Skaven(OLD) 19/7/4
Skaven(NEW) 3/0/3
Dark Elves 24/4/4
Lizardmen 3/0/0
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Will you people drop the Manbane/Rending Stars debate?

Gav Thorpe wrote this Q&A AFTER leaving Games Workshop, therefore it has no hold on the game.
Playtesters have tested the Dark Elf Book with S7 manbane/rending stars.
UKGT allows S7 Rending Stars

Until a FAQ comes up to decide who is right and who is wrong, play it the way you want.
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

Sorry :oops: Was just pointing out that the star combination reaches S7 due to the T5 of the chariots, but Tomb King chariots are T4 so the limit is S6 in that case, hence no autokilling chariots. Thought it was a relevant point to mention since it was brought up in the question. I agree the assassin can reach S7 against T5 chariots...

Again, sorry.

Cheers,
Dave
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The Buoyancy of Water wrote:Sorry :oops: Was just pointing out that the star combination reaches S7 due to the T5 of the chariots, but Tomb King chariots are T4 so the limit is S6 in that case, hence no autokilling chariots. Thought it was a relevant point to mention since it was brought up in the question. I agree the assassin can reach S7 against T5 chariots...

Again, sorry.

Cheers,
Dave

That's fine that you mentionned the "their chariots are T4".
I was mainly pointing out at the poster right above my other post.