Lifetaker

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saithis
Highborn

Lifetaker

Post by Saithis »

Hello,

can someone please explain why the Lifetaker has no magic attacks - even when it's a magic weapon?

http://ca.games-workshop.com/WhiteDwarf ... es_FAQ.pdf

it's the best way to get rid of some wraiths for example... will have serious problems now... :shock:
At last, we will have revenge...
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

Because GW have decided that it does not give out magical attacks.

That simple I am afraid.

TBH though I do not agree with it, but rules are rules.
I love you
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Hm. I hope that this is not the final official FAQ. Although it indeed seems like it is. too bad that Ring of Hotek doesn't affect template spells...

And the most stupid ruling, apart from Lifetaker, is the one regarding Bladewind (about having to randomize the Close Combat attacks as if they were shooting attacks...

The quality of GW FAQs is as disappointing as ever.

PS: oh, S7 rending stars... wtf...
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Actually the only thing official about the FAQ's are the Errata. The FAQ's are essentially house rules that you use when at Tournaments etc where you don't have common house rules. Anyway I guess they reasoned it doesn't fire magical bolts just the crossbow itself is magical. Not something I agree with either but whatever.

By the way Saithis, thanks for finding the FAQ, it's about time they released it.
Last edited by Aspiring executioner on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Lifetaker

Post by Rabidnid »

Saithis wrote:Hello,

can someone please explain why the Lifetaker has no magic attacks - even when it's a magic weapon?

http://ca.games-workshop.com/WhiteDwarf ... es_FAQ.pdf

it's the best way to get rid of some wraiths for example... will have serious problems now... :shock:

Oh well, at least its not a "no brainer" any more so I might not take it in every game I play.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

It doesn't look much like it is official to me (unless they've only uploaded it on the Canadian website so far) because I can't seem to find it on any other website other than the Canadian one (there is a small errata on the german website, but that is only translation errors being fixed). And there are some strange rulings that do make me more than a little suspicious (i.e. the lifetaker not being magical, shadowblade having two kinds of venom, S7 throwing stars - these ones are especially odd seeing as the designer of the book said they aren't supposed to be that way - and them making replacing a shade into charging range when an assassin is revealed legal, and then there is bladewind causing random close combat attacks - on one hand this is making it a little less cheesy, on the other hand a ruling like the one of the hydra's teeth with one attack per character limitation would have made for a far better solution if you ask me). Not convinced of this. There are some good points though - they finally made Caledor's Bane a lance) but overall I'm just not convinced at all. Especially since the supposed FAQ hasn't yet appeared on the UK website.

HUZZAH!
Last edited by Mr. anderson on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

a friend of mine found it... i was suprised it was not 'official' on druchii.net because this site is very very fast normally...
so np ;)

i don't have their books (and errata) but i guess the magic HE bows DO shoot magic arrows?!
in fact it should be very difficult to find a magical weapon which does not inflict magic attacks :?
imo magic attacks do not create a "no brainer" - it should be normal for these items!

and yes the chillwind is strange too

PS. it's uploaded to a official GW site - maybe the guy working of the errata was canadian, i don't know. but i can't see why they should do this - the date is 13.1.09
or do you think it's only temporary until the errata from UK or something like that?
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

The Canadian site noramlly gets FAQS before other sites, dont ask me why, it has just been that way for a while.

At least all the ones i've wanted so far.
I love you
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

lifetaker not having magical attacks? this is .... well stupid. And not having AP? thats just crazy. we're better off just getting that extra bolt thrower. And what about those other "magical" ranged weapons of other armies like the high elf "reaver bow" or "bow of the sea farer". (cant remember their actual names). and dont forget the wood elves either. that means a WE player (in theory) would have to pay for enchanted arrows to count the attacks as magical. what a load of crap!!!!
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

It's clearly an official FAQ. So unless they update it, some people here are in denial...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

There are some good points though - they finally made Caledor's Bane a lance) but overall I'm just not convinced at all. Especially since the supposed FAQ hasn't yet appeared on the UK website.

So, if I understand it right? A FAQ from GW Canada can contradict a FAQ from GW France for example?
ImageImage
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Svennh wrote:So, if I understand it right? A FAQ from GW Canada can contradict a FAQ from GW France for example?

Well, the various translations have issues of their own...

But they won't be different between English-speaking sites. The order they go up in is probably down to how efficient the site admins of each country/region are.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

A major ROFL for the three arms answer. Way to go, guys!

Good to see Null Talismans ruled in a sensible fashion, useful but not too good that way.

Ring of Hotek doesn't work against non-targeting spells is in line with the new rulebook errata, so that's fine. Of course, this definitely means Black Horror avoids it now.

The Lifetaker answer makes no sense at all. It's clearly a magic weapon.

Bladewind being randomized as shooting also seems kinda weird. No big difference in most cases, just weird.

And great dodge on the Twilight Cloak question... but the first part is clear enough, I guess. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I believe that the WE faq says that the WE bows do not confer magical attacks, it is the magical arrows that confer magical attacks.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Lifetaker is a magic weapon if you buttstroke someone with it but not if you shoot crossbow bolts with it. This really makes little sense.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's in line with WE FAQ where magic bows stopped having magic attacks, only magic missiles (arrows in their case) count as magical attacks.

(not that killing wraiths that way was too effective... inflict max 3 wounds and three 1-die spells later the wounds are back)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

It made sense for the WE since they are the only armies with magical arrows..

Anyway, we'll live with this.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I my opinion is that, if not magical, then the other... So in all sense Lifetaker should indeed have AP -1 if not magical bolts...
Throw us a bone darn it :(

I'm surprised to see that St7 stars and 1st round charge rules were accepted... Would never have thought that they would give us that
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Mordru wrote:Lifetaker is a magic weapon if you buttstroke someone with it but not if you shoot crossbow bolts with it. This really makes little sense.

Only if you play D&D. :lol:

Kheel wrote:I my opinion is that, if not magical, then the other... So in all sense Lifetaker should indeed have AP -1 if not magical bolts...

That, however, I fully understand. It has S4, that is better than AP, so it is a step up from the regular RXB.

Bye
Thanee
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

In warseer they were discussing about using lifetaker in hand to hand...
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

:shock:

Just... :shock:

?

Why would you use a ranged weapon other than a pistol use in hth?

:shock:

Does that mean that it enables you to fight with 3 attacks at str 4 that hit on 2+ in cc? Jeah, right...

And you are now paying + 20 pts to give your hero a crossbow with +1 S, no AP, and one extra shot? Giving away your magic weapon choice? (You will mostly hit on 2+/3+ anyway)
Jeah, right...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Lifetaker is and always has been a weapon for sorceresses.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

Ehakir wrote:And you are now paying + 20 pts to give your hero a crossbow with +1 S, no AP, and one extra shot? Giving away your magic weapon choice? (You will mostly hit on 2+/3+ anyway)
Jeah, right...

thats the point - always hit on 2+ is not that cool if you have a look on BS of a hero or highborn...
it is interesting for a sorc but sadly thx to the new item costs there is no useful combination with lifetaker imo
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Tome or Power Stone

Bye
Thanee
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

i did not say there is no combination at all - there is no useful one :roll: