Dark Elf FAQ

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Dark Alliance wrote:Focus familiar just got a tremendous boost. :oops:

What do you mean? The building stuff?

Hardly ever comes into play in our games.

Bye
Thanee
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

But you can teleport the sorceress with steed of shadows and get double point of view using the familiar
Chivalrous
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chivalrous »

Dark Alliance wrote:The COB was an odd one though. The attendants being champions has increased it's life expectancy, but I can see all kinds of odd situations occuring when the crew are broken and not run down... especially when the Death Hag is your general! I don't agree with the COB being destroyed like a war machine though. That is against what it says in the army book.

Ah! I suddenly understand why some people are getting afraid of a possible 22 poisoned attacks.

As I see it the hags don't get access to temple of Khaine items.
In the Death Hag entry, you are told they have access to Xpoints of Temple items. In the Witch Elf entry you are told that the Hag may have up to Y points of Temple of Khaine items. Nowhere in the cauldron entry does it say that Cauldron Hags have a temple of Khaine allowance.
These are three separate unit entries. The allowance does not carry across unit entry boundaries.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Agreed except the FAQ has muddied the waters by saying they are in fact Hags. If they are Hags and are seperate characters they can issue challenges then why should they not have the 25 pt Temple of Khaine Allowance like all other Hags? The FAQ as they are somethimes want to do has created an question instead of merely answering one.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

Mordru wrote:Agreed except the FAQ has muddied the waters by saying they are in fact Hags. If they are Hags and are seperate characters they can issue challenges then why should they not have the 25 pt Temple of Khaine Allowance like all other Hags? The FAQ as they are somethimes want to do has created an question instead of merely answering one.
It hasn't created any questions. The Cauldron of Blood entry in the Dark Elf army list does not include any option to give the Hags Temple of Khaine items. Therefore, they do not have access Temple of Khaine items. The end.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Nothing about the mixed use of keywords such as model/character/wearer in the magic items section. What does this imply for the Ring of Darkness and others?
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Chain
Executioner

Post by Chain »

Hmm... With Lifetaker not being magical how many other ranged magic weapons are no more magical?

The more the marrier for our King
Entreri
Executioner

Post by Entreri »

At least Blade Wind can cause panic now :lol:

The mega star throwing assassin is stupid, just plain stupid, they even redid the krox in the new Lizzie armybook so they wouldn't auto kill chariots!? crazy GW!

Like some others I was so hoping for a SDC on Malus, as Gav himself said he forgot to put it in!

Lifetaker thing just sucks :(

But you can teleport the sorceress with steed of shadows and get double point of view using the familiar
Very cool never thought of that one :twisted:

O btw why isn't the FAQ on the GW "The Shrine of Knowledge" page :?:

cheers
With each kill I grow wiser, and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

hmm. Blade Wind always caused panic.
Just read the 25% losses, it's the first sentence I believe.
Only damage caused in close combat phase (not by close combat attacks) doesn't cause that panic.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Entreri
Executioner

Post by Entreri »

@ Dalamar :oops: Your right was always thinking close combat attacks, means no panic test.... but ofcourse these are not really attacks in CC!

My bad.
With each kill I grow wiser, and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Chain wrote:Hmm... With Lifetaker not being magical how many other ranged magic weapons are no more magical?

The more the marrier for our King

Overcosting Hydra teeth? :roll:
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
[llct]kain
Assassin

Post by [llct]kain »

Overcosting Hydra teeth?

Defenitly. They were hard pressed for the high cost - but now they are nearly worthless for warmachine hunting. A unit of harpies is not much more expensive.

Someone has posted the issue about the standard of balance - for me it is not as clear as I would like it. I'am not sure how it is now.
On the one hand it is hatred, so it is negated by the standard. On the other hand the standard has the entry "...(in the same way as a unit that has already fought and lost a round of combat)"
Which then would result in enternal hatred, through it does not matter whether it is turn 1, or 2...
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Bladewind and hydra teeth were always very confusing in how they worked and one was never sure if there was some trick to use them to some advantage. As it turns out they are less powerful than most magic missles/attacks spells of like cost.

Here is a question, if your Sorceress is in a unit with the banner of murder would not a successfully cast bladewind spell produce attacks with armor piercing? One good thing about the clarification is the situation where you cast at a lone character, before the FAQ you could target the lone character once and the rest of the attacks would be wasted.

Power of Darkness:
Wow, they really don't like that spell. If you miscast and your PD are drained you take damage from the dice and you can't throw dice away on a spell that you do not have enough PD to cast. Now I have to waste more time in my magic phase to make sure the dice come out right. Yeah more cumbersome magic phase!

p.s.
I hate it on FAQ where the question asks a clear and concise questions. And GW's answer is vague and does not specifically answer the question asked.
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I think POD has always been clear on how it works. And as for anyone who has just thrown away excess dice with no hope of casting...that is poor gamesmanship to say the least!
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Viper wrote:Power of Darkness:
Wow, they really don't like that spell. If you miscast and your PD are drained you take damage from the dice and you can't throw dice away on a spell that you do not have enough PD to cast. Now I have to waste more time in my magic phase to make sure the dice come out right. Yeah more cumbersome magic phase!

I don't see the problem. It just works the way it should and will rarely, if ever, come into play.

Bye
Thanee
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Thanee wrote:
Viper wrote:Power of Darkness:

I don't see the problem. It just works the way it should and will rarely, if ever, come into play.

Bye
Thanee

Especially since you can successfully cast any spell in the game on double 6's anyway, so this will only be a problem for the foolish who have one PoD dice left and a 7+ spell left to cast.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The only time I have seen folks try to "game" the PoD dice is if they have dice left and they try to cast a spell to get rid of them such as trying to cast a Doombolt at a target that is clearly more than 18" away. This, in my estimation, is cheating just as throwing one die at a 7+ spell is cheating.
All of these situations can be avoided with a modicum of care in the use of the PoD dice.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah. Just follow some really simple rules.

1) Never cast another PoD while you still have dice from the first
2) Never use a Sorceress to cast a spell, if you have another that still has dice from PoD
3) Cast PoD right before any spell with a high complexity, that you want to cast right now; use the extra PD (usually all, but at least most of them) for that spell

Bye
Thanee
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I know it didn't show up in the FAQ, but has anyone heard if GW plans on later clarifying whether Morathi's +1 to cast works on just her, all friendly casters, or both armies' casters?
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Silashand
Warrior
Location: Somewhere between confused and clueless (Colorado, USA)

Post by Silashand »

The question was submitted so it being dropped tells me they thought it self-explanatory. I would go with the most reasonable interpretation of it applying only to herself. Realistically, any other interpretation seems like wishful thinking to me.

Cheers, Gary
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah, sometimes common sense actually works with those rules (not always though :lol: ).

Bye
Thanee
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

Just to add a personal comment. I'm not happy with those new faqs quite at all. It's not a question about improving or weakening our book, but simply about common sense and fairness.

They followed their errors in the previous main faqs, suggesting an increasing power for many spells that really didn't need it.
Then adding this with the limitation about Mr makes our army go back in the days, forcing again to get 2 sorceress with a pair of scrolls and the seal to get a serious magic defence, while I thought we had passed those damned times.

About black horror avoiding every magic protection, in good company with wind of undeath and other ridicolous spells there is really nothing to say. They choose this way that is dangerous for many points and could become a real game-killer. Their choice.

About lifetaker... no comment because this post would be immediatly deleted by mods.

About S7 stars... really a good way to improve infantries and correctly understanding the will of Gav that wrote the book (and not the last idiot passing through). Congratulations.

About cauldron: ok for hags being considered as champions (as it should always have been: same name, same stats---> same skills). Quite incredible that a unit can destroy the cauldron in hth if left alone when a cannonball cannot do nothing, while the rule clearly states that only when the crew is slain the cauldron is removed.

Focus familiar inside buildings: whis will rise the game to new fair levels indeed.

Silence about hydra charging out from the wood is equally a good sign, showing that they were really convinced of those b***it written in the general faq. Again congratulations!

The faq about venom sword really makes it worth now...

Assassin coming out in the second round, still getting the reroll...oooooookkkkkkk, if you say so (imagining the assassing taking the count "mmm, the last round I was hidden, so I can really hate you now, because before I kept my anger inside").

The only hope is that the 8th edition will come out quickly, completely erasing this madness.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Pepa
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pepa »

Who will charge with unit of Shades and Assassin, having only one, dispalced shade in CC that round? risking of losing 230+pts when battle even didn't started yet....
If i read RB correct , only those that are in range can be in CC, for skirmishers that is.

dumb rule imo, only usable if your enemy is stupid enough to put his war machine close to possible shade's zone,and then is risky if u miss.....
Darc
Warrior

Post by Darc »

Who will charge with unit of Shades and Assassin, having only one, dispalced shade in CC that round? risking of losing 230+pts when battle even didn't started yet....
If i read RB correct , only those that are in range can be in CC, for skirmishers that is.

dumb rule imo, only usable if your enemy is stupid enough to put his war machine close to possible shade's zone,and then is risky if u miss.....

When skirmishers charge, any characters/champions get pushed to the front, so you would end up having the assassin in combat rather than a regular shade
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

And if the opponent gets the first turn, he can move closer without expecting a charge