CoB in 8th basic questions

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Savonarola
Highborn

CoB in 8th basic questions

Post by Savonarola »

DO I read the rules right?

1) the CoB attendandts in 8th can effectively never be killed by shooting (everything goes to the cauldron that has no T and cannot be harmed)

2) the CoB death hag may be either the general, or the BSB

thanks for replies
We hate what you hate. And we hate you. With eternal hatred!
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

1) Look at your 8th Ed. FAQ. The Cauldron now had T10. Any wounds it takes from shooting (against this T10) distribute to the crew. Against ranged attacks, including magic, the Cauldron effectively has T10 (essentially 6+ to wound - silly rule), 4+ Ward Save, 4 wounds. The Death Hag specifically gets removed last.

2) As far as anyone can determine, yes.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Thanks for the FAQ tip!

Still, further questions arise:
3) the crew now loses "extra attack" per a second hand weapon? It still has frenzy and poison, but loses the second hand weapon?
4) what is actually the points cost now? 200+gifts or just 110+gifts (death hag for free as a part of the whole thing)?
5) Also, are the 3 witchelves still "attendants", so may they use the blessings?

Thanks a lot!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

3). Debated on other threads.
RAW seems that the crew lost the extra attack, however the DH has it in her entry so she has to keep it, which incites to make the same reaoning for the other attendants who are WE champions, after all.

Discuss it with your opponent beforehand. If he understands that the crew has additional attacks, fine.
If he insists that the crew has the number of attacks written in the FAQ (plus frenzy, as written), then I suggest you accepted it. It is not gamebreaking.

4). No change. There is still no COB stand-alone entry pages 90-98 of DE army book, so you still need to pay for a DH to get it.

5). For the crew, see the new FAQ, it clearly lists that there are 3 attendants, including the DH. The COB itself is khainite, so it may use the blessings on itself.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Savonarola
Highborn

Post by Savonarola »

Calisson wrote:3). Debated on other threads.
RAW seems that the crew lost the extra attack, however the DH has it in her entry so she has to keep it, which incites to make the same reaoning for the other attendants who are WE champions, after all.

Thanks for the answer. The trick is, that the listed change only refers to page 51 with the general description of the cauldron. This page does not list any equipment, on purpose. The page 93 remains unerrated - and it is the section which mainly lists equipment. This would make me vote for keeping the two hand weapons. Yet there is the whole new concept of WM crew. THe thing seems to be rather unclear and would deserve further official confirmation.

For the crew, see the new FAQ, it clearly lists that there are 3 attendants, including the DH. The COB itself is khainite, so it may use the blessings on itself.

Sorry, but this is not true. The FAQ never speaks about "attendants", only crew. Yet the special rule BoK speaks clearly about attendants (another special rule freshly canceled).

One should be very careful when writing the word "clearly".
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Just to clear this up for me, so when the COB is hit by shooting/magic the T10 is used for the attendants? And in CC their standard T3 is used? Cheers
Il maestro
Trainee Warrior

Post by Il maestro »

Yep, according to BRB p.109 "When shooting at a war machine, resolve the attack as normal, using the Toughness value of the war machine..." and on p.110 "...(in close combat) enemies strike at war machine normally, resolving their attacks against the crew's Weapon Skill and Toughness."

Hope that helps :)
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Yep, cheers Il Maestro :)
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

In the FAQ it seems pretty clear to me that the extra attack from the XHW wasn't lost. What was lost was the fact that the Hags are NO LONGER Champions (very first question of the DE FAQ). I think there is the difference you are looking for in your attacks. So I'd say that yes they still have their XHW but since champions tend to have +1 attack more than usual troops of their ilk this is the discrepancy in the attacks.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

I think they still get their extra attack as it makes no mention of a change to equipment, the hags are still armed with two hand weapons, and that is what gives them the extra attack rule
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

I made a poor argument last time :P However that being said the FAQ gives the Cauldron a very clear rule that states the Hags have 2 attacks compared to the normal number of attacks of 1. Even if they are Hags the new rule states exactly how many attacks they are granted. So at this point they have 2 attacks +1 for Frenzy. Since the Death Hag is a character her equipment would obviously add to what she has.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.