WoC Combo: Book of Secrets + Spell Familiar?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

WoC Combo: Book of Secrets + Spell Familiar?

Post by Maldor »

As updated by the WoC errata/FAQ, an Aspiring Champion becomes a Lvl 1 wizard which knows a single spell from Shadow, Death, or Fire. I'm assuming that this makes him a wizard for all purposes unless otherwise specified (he can't channel, for instance), so would he be able to take an arcane item, such as the Spell Familiar and know a second spell from the chosen lore?

What's more, if given the Mark of Tzeentch, does he get +1 to cast? Would he then somehow be compelled to use the Lore of Tzeentch (normal Chaos Sorcerers have to use the lore matching their mark, but the unit entry for Aspiring Champs says no such thing, and the Book of Secrets seems to override normal mark/wizard level rules anyway)?
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

The rule of the magic item, only lets him cast a spell of the specific lores. It goes against the item's own rules if he would choose tzeench. furthermore the blessing of tcheenz affect champions in an other way then sorcerrers.
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

The FAQ changed the item.

"Change to “Treat the bearer as a Level 1 Wizard, who may use the Lore of Fire, Lore of Shadow or Lore of Death. He may not attempt to channel. If he ever casts a spell with irresistible force he must roll D6+1 rather than 2D6 on the Miscast table.”"
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The answer is there within the question.

"He becomes a level 1 wizard" - so he is now a wizard (only with a few exceptions listed). So yes, he can then take an arcane item as well.

No, he does not use the lore of Tzeentch. He is not in any way the "Chaos Sorcerer" which has that rule. He is an "Aspiring Champion, level 1 wizard" and must follow a lore as per the Book of Secrets special rules.

If he also has mark of Tzeentch, he also has +1 to his ward save. And as the rules for the mark state, he would then be a wizard with the mark of Tzeentch and thus get +1 to his casting rolls.

Simple as that.
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I read that correctly.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

While I am sure the mark of tzeentch gives +1 to cast, being able to take arcane items is debatable. I mean he only hypothetically gains the ability to carry arcane items by using the book of secrets, and what if it was destroyed?

As much as I would love to do this with my chaos army it seems too cheeze to buy an arcane item too.
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

I don't see why it would be any different to a wizard losing all their wizard levels from a miscast or whatever, does this mean they shouldn't be able to take arcane items because they might stop being wizards too?
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Burizan wrote:While I am sure the mark of tzeentch gives +1 to cast, being able to take arcane items is debatable. I mean he only hypothetically gains the ability to carry arcane items by using the book of secrets, and what if it was destroyed?

As much as I would love to do this with my chaos army it seems too cheeze to buy an arcane item too.

Its in no way cheese... you must not really know what real cheese is.
A wizard may take arcane items. Is the bearer of that item a Wizard? yes. A wizard he is and an arcane item he can take.