Cleaning a unit with a DD

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Enkiel
Assassin

Cleaning a unit with a DD

Post by Enkiel »

So last night, my opponent had 15 sisters, with his mage lvl4.

I cast Doombolt with my warlock (the big version, of course), and i do 17 wounds (!!!).

What happen with the 2 "extra" wounds? Are they carried to the mage? If yes, where is it written?

my understanding, is that after everyone is dead, he takes the rest of the hit, but i can't find where this would be explained.
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Re: Cleaning a unit with a DD

Post by Taijushue »

They are wasted. as long as there are more than 5 R&F troops -champ then he can not be targeted by normal BS shooting. There is no rule that allows the excess wounds to be placed onto the character in the unit
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Well first of all you roll the number of hits, in this case lets assume you rolled 20 hits.

Then your opponent allocates the hits. Since you did more hits than models, he would have to allocate at least 1 hit on the mage. The rest of the hits, he could allocate to sisters.

You would roll the single hit on his lv4 seperately, and any wounds done to the sisters do not carry over.
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Scyloc wrote:Well first of all you roll the number of hits, in this case lets assume you rolled 20 hits.

Then your opponent allocates the hits. Since you did more hits than models, he would have to allocate at least 1 hit on the mage. The rest of the hits, he could allocate to sisters.

You would roll the single hit on his lv4 seperately, and any wounds done to the sisters do not carry over.

that, at least make a bit of sense, but i can't find anywhere where it explain it exactly (he's a bit of a rule nazi)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Actually that's incorrect. Characters can't be hit by ranged attacks (except templates after look out sir) as long as there are 5 or more rank and file models in the unit.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Dalamar wrote:Actually that's incorrect. Characters can't be hit by ranged attacks (except templates after look out sir) as long as there are 5 or more rank and file models in the unit.

Problem is that ;

1- it doesnt make much sense (at least to me)
2- the paragraph talking about not allocating hit to character, to me, only means we can't "snipe" the character in a unit of more than 5 models.

I have a hard time understanding how that work... it also means that a spell like Final Transmutation, Dweller Below, Dreaded 13 CAN'T affect our character?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Those spells specifically hit every model in the unit.
7th edition army book:

Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

dreaded 13 does a number of wounds.

i just find it funny that, in the case of a DD, the character isnt part of the unit (As in, taking hit like everyone else), but a spell that target the whole unit, all of a sudden, the character is part of the unit.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Oh yeah it does. It can't kill characters then uess the unit is less than 5 rank and file
7th edition army book:

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Enkiel wrote:dreaded 13 does a number of wounds.

i just find it funny that, in the case of a DD, the character isnt part of the unit (As in, taking hit like everyone else), but a spell that target the whole unit, all of a sudden, the character is part of the unit.

The rules for characters make this exception quite clear.
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

The rules for shooting at characters in units are on page 99 under "Shooting" and are precisely as Taijushue indicated initially - all hits are allocated on the unit when more than 5 R+F are present.